Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cchan
Topic Author

New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 157

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:04 pm

Welcome to the 157th thread for New Zealand Aviation

A brief summary of topics we discussed in New Zealand Aviation Thread 156 (by American 767 Apr 2 2015 in Civil Aviation)

- CX sending 77W to AKL in Dec 2015
- NZ retiring 733 in Sept, preliminary schedule is out for the last flights
- LA starting 788 flights to AKL
- NZ starting IAH, also discussed in NZ announce AKL-IAH from December (by byronicle6 Apr 15 2015 in Civil Aviation)
- Possible domestic competitors for NZ
- RNZAF aircraft replacement options
- NZ fleet configuration and utilization

cchan
Topic Author

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 157

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:10 pm

Quoting cchan (Thread starter):
NZ retiring 733 in Sept

I may have missed the info in previous threads, which frame will be the last NZ 733 in service?

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:16 pm

NZ retiring 733 in Sept, preliminary schedule is out for the last flights

Any date for 'final' confirmation?

Possible domestic competitors for NZ

Wonder what thoughts JQ/QF Group are having with regional competition?

Gasman

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:51 pm

Not much fun for those Cathay passengers. An extra seven hours on the aircraft after a flight from Hong Kong wouldn't be many people's idea of a fun day out.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11434887

Presumably they didn't have the fuel to make CHC.

I'm reminded of a similar episode in the late 1970's. A PAA 747 was approaching AKL from HNL, and AKL was closed for fog. CHC was their listed diversion airfield; but because of suboptimal fuel management they were reticent to proceed there. OHA was hastily arranged, and the aircraft landed there, doing $20,000 worth of damage to the approach lighting in the process.

Subsequently it was discussed in Civil Aviation circles that WLG might be a better option in such circumstances, on the argument that there aren't many aircraft that can't fit into WLG with empty fuel tanks. What became of those discussions, I don't know. Yesterday's episode would suggest not much.

NZ107

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:05 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 3):

Especially those in the Economy torture seats! Ouch.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:54 am

Your post raises a very valid point with WLG being used as a diversion airport for long haul aircraft. OHA is a good diversion airport but doesn't have Customs/MPI staff on stand by to process passengers. WLG has a port within 15mins drive with full Customs/MPI staff there. After a big flight like that I would certainly prefer to land at WLG and be able to go through Customs/MFI screening while waiting to take off again. This also raises a valid argument for extending the runway, kind of like why HLZ extended its runway to handle A330/B767 diversions. I believe if WLG was an option, then CX197 would have gone to WLG. A UA B744 has landed at WLG. Seen some photos of its arrival

When I was doing holiday work at MPI (formally MAF) at both the port and airport, we were called several times to the airport to cover for diversions. We were set up and ready 20mins after the call came in and the flights landed shortly afterwards.

Mr AirNZ

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:10 am

Presumably they didn't have the fuel to make CHC.
Quoting 777ER (Reply 5):
This also raises a valid argument for extending the runway, kind of like why HLZ extended its runway to handle A330/B767 diversions.

A pricey runway extension for one to two diversions a year is not a valid argument or business case to extend the runway.

HLZ is nominated but just like OHA doesn't have customs (anymore). Off hand I can think of a single 767 diversion to Hamilton, well over a decade ago (it was an old -200 from memory). That's not really going to help pay off your extension.

NZ107

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:17 am

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 6):

Also, one could argue the weather was actually worse in HLZ than AKL yesterday.. Plus how often would HLZ not be fogged in when AKL is?

Gasman

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:23 am

A pricey runway extension for one to two diversions a year is not a valid argument or business case to extend the runway.

On its own, no, but it adds some weight to the overall argument.

In the 1980's when I worked in the Civil Aviation Division, many there believed it was just a matter of time before a combination of weather and an engine failure would conspire to make a 732 fail to clear Newlands. Then the 733 came along with its better performance and this ceased to be so much of an issue but........... the point is that WLG for a long time has seemed to be a collection of minimal margins, tight risk-benefit ratios and compromises.

Extension of the runway off the end of 16 would go a long way towards attenuating these flaws. In the 1950's, the country invested massively in excavation and reclaimed land to build WLG. It would seem to me to be time for a similar one-off capital investment.

(As a side note, I've just seen that WLG-LAX is only 150NM longer than AKL-LAX. Drop one of the AKL departures and make this a 789 flight perhaps??)

[Edited 2015-04-18 18:34:34]

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:38 am

I never said the runway extension was a valid argument only for diversions. Yes the airlines say they won't use it, but lets be honest will they refuse to remove the payload restrictions once its in use? Technically they would be using its extension for their benefits. Two other airlines have expressed interest in WLG services but then again that is a different story.

Having a longer runway will avoid OHA being used for many cases and enable passengers to be cleared in WLG if the wait will be several hours like the CX case.

Quoting gasman (Reply 8):
Extension of the runway off the end of 16 would go a long way towards attenuating these flaws. In the 1950's, the country invested massively in excavation and reclaimed land to build WLG. It would seem to me to be time for a similar one-off capital investment.

WLG has always been a safety concern for B737/A320s. A runway extension is needed to remove these concerns and if it means more airlines decide to use WLG then its an excellent return for the economy both in extra spending and extra landing fees

Unclekoru

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:53 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):

Also, one could argue the weather was actually worse in HLZ than AKL yesterday.. Plus how often would HLZ not be fogged in when AKL is?

Hamilton must be one of the most fog prone airports in the country. The Cat IIIB ILS at Auckland has meant diversions are usually the result of unexpected runway closure, cross wind or severe/extreme weather conditions and thunderstorms in the immediate vicinity of the airport or approach path, quite rare circumstances. The days of wide body jet diversions each winter when the fog arrived are a thing of the past.

Quoting gasman (Reply 8):
n the 1980's when I worked in the Civil Aviation Division, many there believed it was just a matter of time before a combination of weather and an engine failure would conspire to make a 732 fail to clear Newlands. Then the 733 came along with its better performance and this ceased to be so much of an issue but........... the point is that WLG for a long time has seemed to be a collection of minimal margins, tight risk-benefit ratios and compromises.

I agree, Wellington airport has a number of flaws that could conspire with some other suboptimal circumstance to cause fatal injury in what should otherwise be a survivable event. Mind you, it's the Northern end that is the problem these days. Should they decide to extend the runway then I'm sure a number of small additional benefits will come out of it, such as a more useful diversion airport for WB's diverting from Auckland and Christchurch and the reduction in landing weight restrictions for 737-800s (VAI treats Wellington as a wet runway in such conditions in spite of the grooved runway with associated weight penalty), granted not a good reason to build it, but if they decide to then it will be welcomed by those who use it on a regular basis now.

aotearoa

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:04 am

A word on A321 operations through ZQN, as there seems to be a presumption that the 321 would be a great fit for this destination.

Executive summary - this is not a feasible option.

The A321 has effectively the same wing area as an A320. Add in the increased OEW, the extra pax and baggage and you have a sad looking equation in ZQN runway terms. Higher TOW with the same wing means accelerating a heavier aircraft to higher takeoff speeds - just not feasible on the current ZQN runway.

Even WLG may well struggle with a significant fuel load....

cchan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:05 am

Not much fun for those Cathay passengers. An extra seven hours on the aircraft after a flight from Hong Kong wouldn't be many people's idea of a fun day out.

Not better for CX198 passengers going to HKG, after waiting at AKL for the long delayed departure, there is another diversion to MNL.

HLZCPH

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 7):

Actually, while we had a lot of rain here yesterday in Hamilton, I do not recall any electrical storms at all, so probably not as bad as what Auckland got.

About the HLZ runway, the business case for the extension as I recall, was about easing the payload restrictions on the Trans Tasman flights at the time not just for the occasional diversion. A Jetconnect 738 came in for a while last year during an issue at AKL last year, that's the last jet diversion I'm aware of.

zkojq

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:30 am

Anyone know how far away Smaug's date with the paintshop is? I still haven't taken a good photo of it in the Smaug livery and I'm worried that I might have missed my opportunity.  
Quoting aotearoa (Reply 11):
A word on A321 operations through ZQN, as there seems to be a presumption that the 321 would be a great fit for this destination.

Executive summary - this is not a feasible option.

The A321 has effectively the same wing area as an A320. Add in the increased OEW, the extra pax and baggage and you have a sad looking equation in ZQN runway terms. Higher TOW with the same wing means accelerating a heavier aircraft to higher takeoff speeds - just not feasible on the current ZQN runway.

Even WLG may well struggle with a significant fuel load....

This confirms what a friend who is a JQ captain told me (must confess I was skeptical at the time). Apparently JQ would send A321s to NZL on certain flights if it wasn't for the fact that they can't fly in and out of Queenstown (and therefore can't operate interchangeably with other JQ aircraft in the country).

Quoting HLZCPH (Reply 13):
About the HLZ runway, the business case for the extension as I recall, was about easing the payload restrictions on the Trans Tasman flights at the time not just for the occasional diversion.

HLZ still doesn't have an ILS does it? That might make it of limited use in unfavorable weather.

NZ6

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:24 am

I'm not at work, does anyone know what NZ1920 is? Its NCK currently over central Queensland inbound from BWN.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:40 am

Quoting NZ6 (Reply 15):

Showing as a B763 that landed 35mins ago. Wondering if its operating the NZ departure to AKL at 6.30pm

NZ107

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:46 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 16):

No. Saw that (NZ139) depart AKL this afternoon.

cchan
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:54 am

Quoting NZ6 (Reply 15):
I'm not at work, does anyone know what NZ1920 is? Its NCK currently over central Queensland inbound from BW
www.thenzsource.com shows NCK operated a BWN-BNE charter as NZ1920 this morning.

Mr AirNZ

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:57 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 14):
Anyone know how far away Smaug's date with the paintshop is? I still haven't taken a good photo of it in the Smaug livery and I'm worried that I might have missed my opportunity

OKO heads off to Singapore tomorrow night (April 20th) which is probably not what you wanted to hear.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:52 am

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 19):

Operating the normal SIN sector or as a repositioning flight?

Mr AirNZ

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:36 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 20):
Operating the normal SIN sector or as a repositioning flight?

Positioning. Nothing up there to swap it out with at the moment.

NZ107

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:37 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 20):

Loaded into the AKL FIDS. NZ6002 etd 2230

Gasman

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Can anyone tell me which 789 is scheduled to fly NZ289 to PVG on May 25? I'll be staring into the galley from seat 1A.  

aotearoa

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:39 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 23):

Post this request a few days out and we'll get back to you.

dash8

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:35 am

I read somewhere that the Government were getting a demonstration of some older RAAF F-18s that were potentially coming up for sale or being disposed of, it was on some NZ warbirds website but I cant find it anywhere, does anyone know if there is any truth in the combat wing of the RNZAF being re-born?

ZKNCL

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Does anybody know if OJH was repainted during her maintenance in CHC?

Regards,
ZKNCL

ZKOJH

Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:15 pm

ZK-OJH "Star Alliance" A320 got skipped on the repainting , this was told by NZ1 a few threads ago. not sure what the updated time frame for her is yet.

byronicle6

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm

With SIN, EZE & IAH having started or starting within the year (the most obvious gaps in the network IMO), where do people see future expansion for NZ?
Frequency increases and upgauges to existing routes? or any more new routes?
MNL seems like a potential route, but PR & Cebu seem interested and i doubt theres room for 2 carriers.
So does PEK, but that will be covered via the CA codeshare

PA515

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 27):
ZK-OJH "Star Alliance" A320 got skipped on the repainting , this was told by NZ1 a few threads ago. not sure what the updated time frame for her is yet.

ZK-OJG was not repainted either, so repainting appears to be a seperate event.

ZK-MCO was photographed at BNE yesterday returning from the Flying Colours Aviation paint hangar in TSV, however the rudder has not been repainted.

http://ybbn.blogspot.com.au

On the 3rd April Flying Colours said the repaint would take 11 days and they would post photos, but there was just one on the 7th April.

http://www.facebook.com/flyingcoloursaviation

PA515

Zkpilot

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 28):

With SIN, EZE & IAH having started or starting within the year (the most obvious gaps in the network IMO), where do people see future expansion for NZ?
Frequency increases and upgauges to existing routes? or any more new routes?
MNL seems like a potential route, but PR & Cebu seem interested and i doubt theres room for 2 carriers.
So does PEK, but that will be covered via the CA codeshare

South Korea would be a candidate as would Jakarta or Bangkok. I doubt BKK though as star partner TG does it and SQ also serves it. MNL only if no one else is doing it.

Mr AirNZ

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting dash8 (Reply 25):
I read somewhere that the Government were getting a demonstration of some older RAAF F-18s that were potentially coming up for sale or being disposed of, it was on some NZ warbirds website but I cant find it anywhere, does anyone know if there is any truth in the combat wing of the RNZAF being re-born?

Never in a million years. The public attitude has changed since the Clark government did away with the Skyhawk's . Whereas back then a large portion of the population would have supported such a move, now, especially given the current state of the government financials, it would not only be political suicide, I would suggest impossible to get through parliament.

SelandiaBaru

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:59 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 30):
South Korea would be a candidate as would Jakarta or Bangkok. I doubt BKK though as star partner TG does it and SQ also serves it. MNL only if no one else is doing it.

Jakarta would be great but GA had a MOU with AIAL to start a route to Auckland and despite the delivery of a lot of additional A330's it's not yet started. Does anyone know more on this?

I'd imagine NZ would seek to expand the DPS service further before starting a CGK service. SQ also serve CGK pretty well with the 2 AKL-SIN flights providing good connections to the 9 daily SIN-CGK flights.

keen2fly

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 31):

Indeed, I would think that the government has enough on their plate regarding a replacement for the C-130/757. Trying to completely re-establish a fighter arm of the Air Force would cost a huge amount of money, and there's not even any imminent threat to NZ that would warrant such a purchase. The only use I could see for fighters would be sending them to bomb the middle east so NZ could be even more "in the club".

Gasman

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 pm

Nowhere, imminently. I think EZE will bumble long for a while, it's success or failure will depend on whether it can attract Asian feeder traffic. IAH should do well, but initially at least it will only siphon off traffic from LAX and SFO. And SIN is always blue chip.

Over and above these places? Asia is well covered now, as is USA, Canada, and one destination in South America is enough for the forseeable future. So anything extra now really does seem like pie in the sky. Possibilities? A daily AKl-HNL, maybe with onwards to Continental USA. Maybe one day a WLG-CBR A320 service. I'd personally like to see sightseeing flights to Antarctica resumed.

Quoting keen2fly (Reply 33):
The only use I could see for fighters would be sending them to bomb the middle east so NZ could be even more "in the club".

The only way I think NZ could have a fighter arm again would be to base the aircraft in Australia, and use their infrastructure.

mariner

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting gasman (Reply 34):
Nowhere, imminently. I think EZE will bumble long for a while, it's success or failure will depend on whether it can attract Asian feeder traffic. IAH should do well, but initially at least it will only siphon off traffic from LAX and SFO. And SIN is always blue chip.

Mr. Luxon seems to think the success of EZE will depend on Australian traffic. I guess the Aussies will help IAH, too:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11379808

"More than a third of Air NZ seats expected to be filled by Australians, who lost a direct service in April.

Capa said Air New Zealand recognised the NZ-Argentina market was limited and plans to rely heavily on sixth freedom traffic, particularly to and from Australia."

As to other places, I guess MNL has to be considered as a possible - Filipinos have been in the top five migrant groups to NZ for the last several years - but after that I'm running out of steam.

My personal wish list would include AKL-PPG - seasonal, a couple of times a week - and maybe, maybe eventually, SGN, but I'm not holding my breath.

mariner

kiwiandrew

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Possibilities? A daily AKl-HNL, maybe with onwards to Continental USA.

Not seeing this happening. What would be the point ? NZ have made it clear they don't foresee any new one stop services, and in this case they wouldn't even be able to pick up traffic due to cabotage rules so they would be relying on kiwis having a stopover in HNL on the way to somewhere else.

On the other hand, once the A320 NEOs come on board, I wonder whether a once or twice weekly AKL-POM service could work. Not much tourist demand, but I know of quite a few people on fly in fly out contracts working up there ( not sure whether they would be enough to sustain a direct service though) .

[Edited 2015-04-20 16:16:36]

Motorhussy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 pm

I think EZE will bumble long for a while, it's success or failure will depend on whether it can attract Asian feeder traffic.

As Mariner mentions, the business case was contingent on feeder traffic from Australia. The VA codeshare on these flights (with the various connecting ones) pretty well guarantees that, and the SQ codeshare will be icing on a cake that I personally think will do much better than bumble along (apologies for mixing metaphors).

Further, if AR could manage to bumble along for 20-odd years on the route, I think a well organised and strategically focused business like NZ can do very well here flying non-stop directly to one of the world's most desirable tourist destinations. The beyond feed from EZE into South America is set up initially with AR but is bound to improve as AV improves their network and the Brasilian division expands, maybe Azul joining *alliance will help.

A risk I see here is the relationship with the Fernandez-de Kirchner regime and that of the state owned EZE and AR.

IAH should do well, but initially at least it will only siphon off traffic from LAX and SFO.

Yes it will be interesting to see the impact on the two Californian ports and how fast NZ can establish that ease of connection to the hearts and minds of travellers in the Midwest and Eastern Seaboard. I wonder what sort of marketing campaign NZ has in store to provide the impetus to these 30-million Americans who have New Zealand on their bucket list. Presumably through social media networks in this long established market, NZ will be able to connect directly with many.

where do people see future expansion for NZ?

I see an ICN codeshare with OZ at some point being a possibility. An NZ 789 would be suitable. Is there the potential for a return to KIX at some point? Perhaps when the Japan economy recovers sufficiently. Also, what about a SA/VA/NZ codeshare on AKL-MEL-JNB at some future point, again with an NZ 789? I know Luxon has said no new one-stop long haul services, but if we think of MEL as the NZ destination point… well those are my thoughts for the debate.

MNL, CGK, TPE, SGN I see being serviced by their own airlines into AKL. Indian destinations are now well serviced from SIN with SQ and SilkAir.

Regards
MH

Gasman

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 37):
Also, what about a SA/VA/NZ codeshare on AKL-MEL-JNB

Yes, I forgot about South Africa. At last count there were thirty billion South Africans living in Auckland. Okay, only 87% of them are extremely affluent and the rest are merely well off; but I'd have thought there'd be a market to fill a 789 AKL-JNB or CPT three times a week.  

[Edited 2015-04-20 17:57:40]

Motorhussy

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 38):
At last count there were thirty billion South Africans living in Auckland.

LOL, that 30-million Americans figure wasn't a random figure I plucked out of the air but a figure Christopher Luxon has been quoting from the research they conducted and used to quantify the feasibility of IAH. Glad you can see some sense in JNB, but a route directly over the South Pole rather than via MEL?!

aerokiwi

Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 am

Maybe one day a WLG-CBR A320 service.

AKL-CBR would be far more likely. The easy connection to NZ's Pacific Island and North American services would be pretty appealing, I'd imagine.

Though 80% of Canberra traffic is likely tied up with Qantas frequent flyer loyalty.

ZKOJH

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:48 am

Well a slight change to the destinations for the 789 fleet,

" Air NZ flies Dreamliner to Fiji summer"

Air New Zealand says it will start flying a Dreamliner to Fiji from Auckland this summer.

It will use the Boeing 787-9 on the Nadi route from November to March, adding 8000 more seats than last year.

The Dreamliner will initially operate two new services per week building to five during the peak mid-December to late January period. There will also be an extra weekly Airbus A320 service added to the summer schedule to meet passenger demand.

It will be the first time its Dreamliner has operated in the Pacific Islands.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11436020

What happened to the press release by NZ on the 25 June 2013 which said that

" The key long haul destinations for the new aircraft will be Shanghai and Tokyo, while it will also service some mid haul destinations such as Perth, Honolulu and Papeete." (so 3 of the 5 have happened) the other 2 have been replaced with SIN and Nadi.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/press...-9-destinations-and-seat-selection

ZKOJH

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:56 am

"Queenstown Airport gears up for busy winter season"

Queenstown Airport is gearing up for another busy winter season with an increased flight schedule and the opening of its new international terminal in June.

Queenstown Airport Corporation CEO Scott Paterson says the winter season is looking “very positive”.

“Trans-Tasman flights are up 13 percent on top of a 25 percent increase last winter. This will give us a record 59 direct flights arriving from East Coast Australia on average per week during the peak winter months, equating to seven more landings per week than last year.”

The increased international flight schedule has been driven primarily by Jetstar’s three times-weekly service between the Gold Coast and Queenstown which commenced in December 2014. More flights from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have also been added across the Jetstar/Qantas network.

Mr Paterson believes the boost in flights and seat capacity from East Coast Australia will make New Zealand’s Central Otago and Southern Lakes region a very attractive short haul winter holiday destination for Australians.

“Queenstown Airport is roughly a three-hour direct flight from Sydney, Melbourne, Coolangatta and Brisbane and provides a direct gateway to some of New Zealand’s best visitor experiences. With five ski areas within an hour and a half’s drive and world-class scenery, activities, food and wine, and accommodation choices, it’s an easy, affordable holiday for all ages and budgets.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU150...ears-up-for-busy-winter-season.htm

Gasman

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 39):
Glad you can see some sense in JNB, but a route directly over the South Pole rather than via MEL?!

Wouldn't it be possible with ETOPS 240?

ZKOJH

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 am

"Air New Zealand pax up 9% to 1.5m with 87% load factor in Mar-2015, group-wide yields up"

Air New Zealand passenger numbers up 9% - traffic highlights for Mar-2015:

Passenger numbers: 1.5 million, +8.5% year-on-year;
Short-haul: 1.3 million, +7.2%;
Domestic: 1.0 million, +6.3%;
Tasman/Pacific: 329,000, +10.2%;
Long-haul: 174,000, +18.9%;
Asia/Japan: 78,000, +48.1%; !!!
North America/UK: 96,000, +2.4%;

http://centreforaviation.com/news/ai...pdate-op-stats---march-2015-437726
http://centreforaviation.com/files/analysis/220290/42y0596tsk8zn9.pdf

Mr AirNZ

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:19 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 41):
The key long haul destinations for the new aircraft will be Shanghai and Tokyo, while it will also service some mid haul destinations such as Perth, Honolulu and Papeete." (so 3 of the 5 have happened) the other 2 have been replaced with SIN and Nadi.

The postponed wind down of the 763 fleet signaled the 789 would not be introduced to the leisure destinations until a later date. I think being able to offer a consistent product on all Asian flights from the last quarter of this year is a much better use of resources than putting the 789 on HNL and PPT just yet.

NAN is just a nice easy shorthaul turn between longhaul flights.

Gasman

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting Mr AirNZ (Reply 45):
The postponed wind down of the 763 fleet signaled the 789 would not be introduced to the leisure destinations until a later date. I think being able to offer a consistent product on all Asian flights from the last quarter of this year is a much better use of resources than putting the 789 on HNL

I've flown the 763 AKL-HNL three times over the last few years. There's just something about that aircraft and that route which works.

Motorhussy

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 43):

Wouldn't it be possible with ETOPS 240?

Dont think so, pretty sure you need 330 to fly over the Pole and I think there may be further restrictions once you're X° south (but not certain and what degree south that is). I just think missing MEL would be missing an opportunity. QF flies from SYD, SA from PER. No airline flies from MEL and AKL so two birds with one stone. Makes it a lot quicker for Victorian, South Australian and New Zealand passengers to get to South Africa and vice versa.

Gemuser

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:57 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 47):
I think there may be further restrictions once you're X° south (but not certain and what degree south that is).

Yes, it's 60 degrees South. The killer is the requirement for pax recovery & subsistence after an emergency landing on the ice. Simply far too expensive to be seriously considered, you also run into problems with the Antarctic treaties limiting what you can do.
This is based on CASA documents but I believe that CAA's is the same in this instance. You are not going to see trans antarctic commercial flights in the near future.

Gemuser

Zkpilot

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:19 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 44):
"Air New Zealand pax up 9% to 1.5m with 87% load factor in Mar-2015, group-wide yields up"

Air New Zealand passenger numbers up 9% - traffic highlights for Mar-2015:

Passenger numbers: 1.5 million, +8.5% year-on-year;
Short-haul: 1.3 million, +7.2%;
Domestic: 1.0 million, +6.3%;
Tasman/Pacific: 329,000, +10.2%;
Long-haul: 174,000, +18.9%;
Asia/Japan: 78,000, +48.1%; !!!
North America/UK: 96,000, +2.4%;

http://centreforaviation.com/news/ai...pdate-op-stats---march-2015-437726
http://centreforaviation.com/files/a...9.pdf

Those are very impressive numbers! Well done NZ!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos