Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Q
Topic Author

About Pilots Who Spill Drinks In Cockpit?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:51 pm

I just want to share story have you hear or read story some pilots who spill coffee or coke or any drink in the cockpit? Does cockpit have issued electronic damage or static to get divert airport? Do pilots clean it up or just be quiet clean it up and until final arrive to more clean it up or replace fuse circuit breaker? I would like to hear story how that work.

Thanks,

Q

SWADawg

RE: About Pilots Who Spill Drinks In Cockpit?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:56 pm

I guess if you were to spill something on the center pedestal you might have a problem. I've heard of guys losing their radios before because of a spill on the center pedestal. Most spills usually happen on the floor of the cockpit, and that usually isn't a big deal at all.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

glbltrvlr

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:39 pm

There's a great documentary film on just this topic called Fate is the Hunter with Glenn Ford narrating. Highly recommended.

[Edited 2015-04-18 09:41:26]

WNCrew

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:02 pm

I've seen it twice at the gate and we were delayed and once had MX come install a new component in the center console. We are under strict instruction to always serve the FD with a lid on their drink but we often will ask them in advance if they want one so as to not patronize them and also to acknowledge that any fault in spillage is now officially theirs and not ours once the hand-off is accomplished. Our pilots are really careful (I find)... at least in what I can see, and I can't imagine one of them really ever blaming one of us for the spill. The other factor is that if they're going to take the lid off anyway, THAT is and of itself could create a spill.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

tb727

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:44 pm

Generally you try and keep your drinks away from the center pedestal. I know a guy that gave a transponder in a Lear the old "Coke treatment" and it fried it, maintenance wasn't too happy about it.

Had a guy the other day choke when he took a big gulp of coffee and it went everywhere while we were about 3 or 4 in line for takeoff at LGA, and by everywhere, I mean everywhere. All over 2 windows, glare shield, the front panel and somehow my hand on the thrust lever. It took everything in me to not lose it laughing while handing him napkins because I'd never seen someone spit their drink out and have it actually hit the window before, thankfully he was ok and so was the airplane.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

flyby519

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:45 pm

strfyr51

Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:09 am

I've had pilots report Comm and Nav radios inop. Fire warning and transponders inop. only to later on find out they were full of coffee.
We fixed the stuff but I doubt if anybody ever got a reprimand. That was when I was a 737 Cntroller, I doesn't happen much on the A320/ A319's that I recall
Probably because the fire panel id overhead.

Alnicocunife

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:29 am

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 2):
There's a great documentary film on just this topic called Fate is the Hunter

Hardly a documentary but good never the less.

Max Q

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:07 am

Many years ago I was sitting sideways, paying my dues as a Second Officer (Flight Engineer) on the mighty B727.

The Captain, on returning from a visit to the cabin rested his full coffee cup on top of the shelf above the panel without
me noticing, sure enough we hit some turbulence and the cup and its contents emptied into my flight bag, trashing everything inside. Lucky it didn't go down inside the panel itself.

Being on probation at the time I downplayed it and was polite but it took weeks to get the contents of the manuals changed out, they weren't much use until then !

Incidentally, he's serving time in federal prison now (but that's another story !)
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

FlyHossD

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 6):
I've had pilots report Comm and Nav radios inop. Fire warning and transponders inop. only to later on find out they were full of coffee.
We fixed the stuff but I doubt if anybody ever got a reprimand. That was when I was a 737 Cntroller, I doesn't happen much on the A320/ A319's that I recall
Probably because the fire panel id overhead.

I recall a case where a good friend of mine ferried a very nearly new 737 back to a maintenance base after a large spill onto the center console. IIRC, the company claimed damage of several hundred thousand dollars (not sure if that was accurate).

In this case, like all the others, Flight Ops issued a memo cautioning pilots to be careful with drinks in the cockpit.

My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

joeycapps

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:35 am

Do most commercial aircraft have cup holders upfront? I heard awhile back from a pilot's blog that one of their favorite features on AA's 738 equipment was the cup holders. Just wondering if this is a common option, or...?

MD95sOverATL

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:37 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 8):
Incidentally, he's serving time in federal prison now (but that's another story !)

Well you can't just leave us hanging.....
EMB120, EMB145, CRJ200, MD88, MD90, 717, 737, 757, 777, A319, A321

cedarjet

Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:50 am

One of the 747 pre delivery test aircraft got "lost" over the Pacific on a test flight after a Boeing pilot spilled his coffee into the nav panels on the centre pedestal. I guess they headed back to the mainland then picked up radar vectors.

And here is the "documentary" (actually not a bad film) Fate Is The Hunter -- get the popcorn on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKHfGtHSzo
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Byrdluvs747

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:16 am

Why doesn't the FAA mandate the use of those spill proof cups like millions of people use everyday on their commutes?
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

737tdi

Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:54 am

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 3):
I've seen it twice at the gate and we were delayed and once had MX come install a new component in the center console. We are under strict instruction to always serve the FD with a lid on their drink but we often will ask them in advance if they want one so as to not patronize them and also to acknowledge that any fault in spillage is now officially theirs and not ours once the hand-off is accomplished. Our pilots are really careful (I find)... at least in what I can see, and I can't imagine one of them really ever blaming one of us for the spill. The other factor is that if they're going to take the lid off anyway, THAT is and of itself could create a spill

We (mechs.) see it on a ongoing basis. I would say weekly. We are now installing liquid proof com. panels to sorta eliminate this problem. I have replaced com. and nav. panels that were soaking wet but the right up was "Inop". LOL, inop. because you just dumped a can of water or a cup of coffee on it. Guess what? Maintenance takes the delay. If we were buttholes we would put it back on the Capt. or FO but we aren't. All flight crew are Gods and should not be questioned, right. Oh well, they do live up there for hours, they have to re-hydrate. Just wish they would be a bit more careful but just like me they are men. Have a great day.

Max Q

Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:58 am

Quoting MD95sOverATL (Reply 11):
Quoting Max Q (Reply 8):

It wasn't for spilling coffee.

GGg

coolian2

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:38 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 15):

Crooked accountant?
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

TupolevTu154

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 am

On the Airbus the cup holders are moulded into the window frame either side of the pilots. When taking hot drinks into the flight deck we have to use a cup holding tray and hand the drinks (with lids) around the outside (I.e. Between the pilot and window) and preferably, into the cup holder, thus nowhere near the centre console.

Of course there's always the occasional flight crew member who will uncover the cup, hold it over the centre console and ask his/her colleague to pour them some milk... Fortunately I've only seen this once!

As for other drinks, they're all bottled.

maxpower1954

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:12 pm

The 1964 drama "Fate is the Hunter", the ultimate accidental coffee spilling aviation disaster film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKHfGtHSzo

chrisair

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 1):
I've heard of guys losing their radios before because of a spill on the center pedestal.

This exact thing happened to me last year on an AS flight. The captain, to his credit, came out and explained (very sheepishly) to the plane why we were taking a delay. It happens. Maintenance had it swapped out in about 45 mins and we were on our way with about an hour delay.

Quoting tb727 (Reply 4):
Had a guy the other day choke when he took a big gulp of coffee and it went everywhere while we were about 3 or 4 in line for takeoff at LGA, and by everywhere, I mean everywhere. All over 2 windows, glare shield, the front panel and somehow my hand on the thrust lever. It took everything in me to not lose it laughing while handing him napkins because I'd never seen someone spit their drink out and have it actually hit the window before, thankfully he was ok and so was the airplane.

What was his reaction?

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 14):
All flight crew are Gods and should not be questioned, right.

Exactly. Glad to see the maintenance guys know their place.   

wilco737

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 14):
Just wish they would be a bit more careful but just like me they are men. Have a great day.

We are not allowed to hand over cups of drinks over the panels. The captain gets his drinks handed over left of him and the FO on the right of him. So if you spill it there, it ends up in my own bag...

But even if you are careful it can happen due to sudden turbulence etc. that something is spilled over.

Thank god it didn't happen to me yet. I try to be really careful...

wilco737

FlyHossD

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm

On a related thought - it seems that such spills are inevitable. So shouldn't the manufacturers design the next/new generation cockpits so that the radios, fire handles, etc. aren't in the center console? The consoles are sometimes problematic to maneuver around anyway.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

737tdi

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 19):
Quoting 737tdi (Reply 14):All flight crew are Gods and should not be questioned, right.
Exactly. Glad to see the maintenance guys know their place.

Hey, we could sign it off "Found fluid contamination on comm. panel, removed, replaced and ops. checked per MM."  

Just kidding though, we have a great relationship with our flight crews, unlike some other outfits I have worked for. I guess we all realize we are all a team and treat each other that way.

Prost

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 pm

We need pilot sippy cups like you get toddlers. I jest. A lot of pilots have their own coffee cups with screw on lids, but I still bring in the cream and sugar to them so they can have their coffee like they like it, instead of how I think they like it.

jetjeanes

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Lol that is a wacky movie, What did they put jet engines on a convar 580...  
i can see for 80 miles

glbltrvlr

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:08 pm

Quoting jetjeanes (Reply 24):

Even better - in the beginning it looks like they mounted the jet engines under the tail. Be careful when you watch Casablanca.  

Hollywood fantasy aside, the movie is actually a great story about how rumors about what happened get out way ahead of the truth, and how important it is to take the time to really understand the problem before jumping to conclusions. There's some rudimentary training on accident investigation in there that isn't half bad either.

I've read Gann's book, and while I agree the only thing the movie and the book have in common is the title, I think Gann was way out of line throwing a hissy fit about it. None of the short stories in his book were particularly memorable and the movie did what it was supposed to do - tell an emotional story in an entertaining way.

[Edited 2015-04-19 16:10:01]

[Edited 2015-04-19 16:10:22]

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:28 pm

Fate is the Hunter is NOT a documentary but a work of fiction. So easy to see a movie and create the impression and memory of a documentary and fact.

glbltrvlr

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Quoting 113312 (Reply 26):
Fate is the Hunter is NOT a documentary but a work of fiction. So easy to see a movie and create the impression and memory of a documentary and fact.

Also very easy to read a post and miss the humor.  

zeke

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:36 am

Air NZ had a cockpit fire on a 737 cause by a coffee spill.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

TheRedBaron

Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:51 am

I agree... went "ballistic" on someone?

I wonder why the center console is not more "liquid" proof. Once while on the cockpit of a 752, I was told about a very damaged center electronics due to a large spill, and while cruising, we discuss on how the center console could be more resistant to liquids by changing the rotary knobs styles, the buttons and even making 2 large canals so liquid could move down back and not go everywhere....

A lot of stuff is still due to improvements on the cockpit. IMHO.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

DTWPurserBoy

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 am

I was always taught to hand pilots beverages over their outboard shoulders in order to avoid this problem. Most just automatically reach there for a drink when you bring them up.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

SXDFC

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:08 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 8):

Didn't they make a movie about him?

While reading this thread, I couldn't help but think about this Aeromexico picture below with the coffee stains around the EFB.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Miguel Arteaga - Aviation Photography of México

ltbewr

Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:10 am

Unless it leads to a major problem, it is unlikely much will be done but likely some reminders and reviews of procedures others have noted.

maxpower1954

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:11 am

Quoting jetjeanes (Reply 24):

Well, they had to use a fictional aircraft, as what happened in the accident could have been construed as a design flaw. I don't think Boeing, Convair or Douglas would have liked one of their designs used in a disaster film with nearly 100% fatalities.

"No Highway in the Sky" with James Stewart had the same problem - the "Reindeer" tails were falling off, so for the film they created a fantasy aircraft design.

I think it's a DC-6 fuselage with mocked up wings and jet engines. I don't think in the film the fictional aircraft or the company that built it is even named, or part of the investigation. What the movie showed was even a tiny detail like a spilled cup of coffee can lead to tragedy.But in the real world you would NEVER shut down the second engine because of a (possibly false) fire warning. But that would have made for a really short movie!

Max Q

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:25 am

Quoting coolian2 (Reply 16):
Quoting Max Q (Reply 15):

Crooked accountant?

No, he was found guilty of the worst possible crime a person can commit, horrific beyond belief.

GGg

frostyj

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:38 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 4):

Holy crap! I wouldn't like to think that would be going on..
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

B757Forever

Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:42 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 34):
No, he was found guilty of the worst possible crime a person can commit, horrific beyond belief.

He must have said bad things about the 767-400...
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

glbltrvlr

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting maxpower1954 (Reply 33):
What the movie showed was even a tiny detail like a spilled cup of coffee can lead to tragedy.

They didn't identify it by name, but what they showed was the basic principle of a causal chain - that is, it isn't always the last thing that caused the accident. In the case of Fate is the Hunter, there were a series of contributing factors:

- The pier that blocked the beach creating the point of impact
- The traffic that prevented an immediate return to the airport
- The seam in the console panel that allowed the spilled coffee to penetrate the wiring
- The routing of a safety critical circuit under that seam
- The bird strikes that caused the first engine to fail

And so on and so on. Not bad for a Hollywood melodrama.

P206

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:03 am

I don't know if this was mentioned on a.net yet,but last week the Serbian president was flying from Belgrade to Vatican in a Falcon 50,when over Adriatic it lost number 3 engine.Falcon begin to loose altitude,the emergency was declared and plane safely returned to Belgrade.The pilots were able to restart the engine!

Now the serbian investigators released the statement:the pilot spilled coffee over instrument panel and when he tried to wiped it off he shut down nr.3 engine

LH526

Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:52 am

Most FAs have the procedure to hand the drinks in the gap between the window and the pilots .. NOT via the center console for exactly this reason. As most cupholders are installed in the panel under the windows, there would be no need for pilots to maneuver the drinks over the center console.
Trittst im Morgenrot daher, seh ich dich im Strahlenmeer ...

barney captain

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 am

Quoting lh526 (Reply 39):
Most FAs have the procedure to hand the drinks in the gap between the window and the pilots .. NOT via the center console for exactly this reason. As most cupholders are installed in the panel under the windows, there would be no need for pilots to maneuver the drinks over the center console.

I don't see this working in a 737.
Southeast Of Disorder

Max Q

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:13 am

Quoting P206 (Reply 38):
I don't know if this was mentioned on a.net yet,but last week the Serbian president was flying from Belgrade to Vatican in a Falcon 50,when over Adriatic it lost number 3 engine.Falcon begin to loose altitude,the emergency was declared and plane safely returned to Belgrade.The pilots were able to restart the engine!

Now the serbian investigators released the statement:the pilot spilled coffee over instrument panel and when he tried to wiped it off he shut down nr.3 engine

Since when is shutting down one engine in a three engine aircraft an emergency ?

And if one of the Pilots shut it down 'by accident' why couldn't he start it again ?

Sounds like complete nonsense.

GGg

N1120A

Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:23 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 34):

Tax evasion, or talking bad about the 757?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

P206

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 41):
Since when is shutting down one engine in a three engine aircraft an emergency ?
And if one of the Pilots shut it down 'by accident' why couldn't he start it again ?

They were flying at 10000 meters,they descend 2000 meters when engine died.Apparently the shock was so big that passengers were thrown from their seats
The pilots gained control soon after that and they were able to restart the engine,but returned to Belgrade,

a320fan

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting P206 (Reply 43):

Quoting Max Q (Reply 41):

They were flying at 10000 meters,they descend 2000 meters when engine died.Apparently the shock was so big that passengers were thrown from their seats
The pilots gained control soon after that and they were able to restart the engine,but returned to Belgrade,

Doubt that would happen from just one engine failing.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

BravoOne

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:32 am

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 2):
There's a great documentary film on just this topic called Fate is the Hunter with Glenn Ford narrating. Highly recommended.

That scene never occurred in the book. Maybe one of the worst aviation movies ever produced and certainly not a documentary in spite of the excellent book and it's story.

idlewild

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:55 am

It's called the "Pepsi Syndrome". Hence, the FAA mandating that all commercial pilots drink V-8 only.

musang

Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:49 am

A few years ago the First Officer spilt a little coffee over the forward right corner of the centre console as he was lifting the cup out of the holder (737).

We both stared at it, frozen, for a couple of seconds and then at the exact same moment, we leapt into action. I reached around behind for some napkins off the meal trays, and he unfastened his lapstrap, got up, swivelled and sat on the wet centre console (the No. 1 Comms selector area). Intention being to soak up the liquid into the fabric of his pants. I later commended him on his use of initiative, ingenuity and selflessness!

Uniform pants are not very absorbent though, so we finished the job with paper towels. On landing, MX took the radio out, no evidence of leakage beneath, and put it back. We set off on the next sector uneventfully.

Apparently, IIRC, the centre console stuff has rubber gaskets/seals under the edges, but the clear panels over the digits are not liquid-tight, and I wonder about the holes through which the selector knobs rise.

Regards - musang

motif1

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting P206 (Reply 43):

According to The Guardian

Quote:

The co-pilot accidentally activated the emergency slot extension when trying to clean the coffee from the panel, according to the report. That caused the plane to dive and triggered the brief shutdown of one of the engines, which triggered panic among passengers. The captain then stabilised the aircraft and returned to the Serbian capital, Belgrade.

Those SLOTS are unpredictable!

Cheers!

M1
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

P206

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Thanks,then our news site's are wrong (lost in translation)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos