LHRResident91
Topic Author

IB Flights From TFN-LHR

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:16 am

I was looking at LHR arrivals on FR24 and noticed an arrival from TFN. I checked on google and it seems they operate the service three times per week.

I personally think this is a strange route to deploy, as most holiday makers fly and stay around resorts close to TFS. I can't imagine many business people using this route.

Any thoughts?

fcogafa

RE: IB Flights From TFN-LHR

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:03 am

It is operated by Iberia Express and they also fly to Las Palmas and Palma.

Heathrow caters for all types of travel, not just business and 'Holiday destinations' are proving popular for those whom Heathrow is more convenient than Luton/Gatwick etc. They will often pay a premium for this convenience.

[Edited 2015-04-26 03:04:07]

LHRResident91
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am

I can understand Palma and Las Palmas, as these are quite popular destinations. I would have thought TFS would be the obvious choice for attracting holiday makers from LHR. I know BA also operate several holiday destinations from LHR. With LGW not far from LHR, I know many people would rather save a few quid and fly from there.

OA260

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:03 am

TFN is still a popular airport to land into. For those seeking the real Tenerife and not the mass tourist resorts then flying to TFN and exploring the north of the Island is a breath of fresh air. Its your upper end market with some lovely 4-5* hotels. Much nicer than the South. Also ideal for Island connections onto NT ( I did it myself last month ) and the cruise port in Santa Cruz.

LHRResident91
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:11 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):

I completely agree. Having been to Santa Cruz and PTO de la Cruz. I hope it does work out well and may even use the route myself.

My post was based on typical british holiday makers, who like to stay in resorts south of the island. I will be interested seeing the passenger numbers during the summer.

richardw

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:17 pm

It's a slot sitter for IAG at LHR.

Heathrow isn't full.

aircatalonia

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:49 pm

People tend to think that flights to/from Spain are only for foreign tourists and it's not always like that. Santa Cruz de Tenerife is a sizeable city (some 300.000 inhabitants, close to a million in the whole island).

gabrielchew

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:23 pm

I don't think IB fly to TFS (they didn't a few years ago when I went to Tenerife - only MAD-TFN operated). All the "business" and cultural visitors head to the north, beach travellers to the south. Given that BA fly LGW-TFS, perhaps it's better to offer TFN as well. London caters to more than just beach and package tourists, plus IB has operations in TFN already.
http://my.flightmemory.com/shefgab Upcoming flights: AMS-RIX-BUD-VDA,ETH-TLV-FCO-LHR,STN-TXL-LCY,LTN-CPH-LTN,LGW-SZG,MUC-LHR

SelseyBill

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 6):
People tend to think that flights to/from Spain are only for foreign tourists and it's not always like that. Santa Cruz de Tenerife is a sizeable city (some 300.000 inhabitants, close to a million in the whole island).

......is the correct answer.......

We often tend to make this mistake thinking that just because many places are 'tourist destinations' to northern Europeans, they do not have a very significant year round resident populations.

There are close to 2 million annual visitors from the UK to Tenerife, with the UK accounting for around a third of all international visitors to Tenerife.

Clearly IAG feel it is worth investing a few slots at Heathrow to try and maybe attract the higher yielding passengers.

GatoVolador

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 6):

Correct. The flight is most Spanish-side oriented than UK-side oriented, since it should gather some connecting traffic at LHR.

Quoting gabrielchew (Reply 7):
I don't think IB fly to TFS

They do and they have been operating it for a while (decades). Right now, it's operated by Iberia Express.

mfc

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:20 pm

It's not big deal flying to TFN and then go to the hotel in the South or vice versa, the island is not that big. In any case, like you have said TFN is more for locals and business, while TFS is mainly for tourists. I guess IBS prefer to operate to TFN given that they operate there all but one of their daily flights to the island, planes have to come from Madrid and for that route TFN is preferred.

I don't think IB fly to TFS (they didn't a few years ago when I went to Tenerife - only MAD-TFN operated)

Iberia have never stopped flying to TFS, it has always been 1 daily service since I remember. Now Iberia Express operate all Canary Island flights, including TFS.
So, we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past

OA260

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting LHRResident91 (Reply 4):
I hope it does work out well and may even use the route myself.

Me too its nice to see more flights from the UK to the Canaries by non charter / LCC airlines.

The UK has a large Spanish ex pat population and many from the Canaries. Hopefully they will support it too. For those on business and people looking to upgrade I2 also have a pretty pleasant J class product. I was quite impressed.

SCQ83

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:36 pm

I think it will also help to connect with the BA network at LHR, hence TFN makes more sense (since most tourists at TFS come from Europe; so connecting is less important there).

Getting from the Canaries to anywhere outside Europe is not necessarily straight-forward; often requiring double connections, detours or back-tracking.

[Edited 2015-04-26 08:37:16]

FlyCaledonian

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:40 pm

When GB Airways was a BA franchise carrier they flew into TFN, albeit from LGW if I recall.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

LHRResident91
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:11 pm

Some good arguments for the route here. As previously stated, I was not against it, just thought it was not the obvious choice. I hope and it seems like I may be proven wrong!

Gazdon121

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

plus LHR being a ONEWORLD hub there will be them passengers who would rather connect thru LHR on to there next destination which the choice is huge or even there destination is TFN and there coming from one of them many flights from the States

Just a thought

airboeingbus

Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:38 pm

How coincidental, I'm Flying this exact route via IB in a few days( Tuesday 28th! )

stationmanager

Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:32 pm

Iberia Express is based in TFN instead of TFS. That's the reason.

SJOtoLIR

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:24 am

Binter Canarias even holds an interesting flight from Tenerife Norte which is heading towards Dakar, Senegal.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

r2rho

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:56 am

Is there still any codeshare between IB and Binter like in the old days? Because in addition to what others have said, TFN is also the airport to use for onward connections to the smaller islands such as El Hierro.

seahawk

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I don't think IB fly to TFS (they didn't a few years ago when I went to Tenerife - only MAD-TFN operated). All the "business" and cultural visitors head to the north, beach travellers to the south. Given that BA fly LGW-TFS, perhaps it's better to offer TFN as well. London caters to more than just beach and package tourists, plus IB has operations in TFN already.

The island is not that big that you really can differentiate the pax streams. TFN is seeing most of the intra-Spanish traffic, TFS sees most of the rest. I have flown into both airports and I flew into TFN for holidays (okay I admit in the North of the Island) and flew into TFS for work.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos