Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

global1
Topic Author

Designer Of New Delta Uniforms

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 pm

Tomorrow Delta will announce the designer which has been chosen to create their new uniforms.

Any guesses?

Cipango

RE: Designer Of New Delta Uniforms

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Quoting global1 (Thread starter):
Tomorrow Delta will announce the designer which has been chosen to create their new uniforms.

Again? They don't have the current uniforms for very long.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

global1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Actually, the current uniform, which is a classic, was introduced in 2006.

It's all about refreshing the brand and moving forward.

OA412

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 1):
Again? They don't have the current uniforms for very long.

It's been close to 10 years now. By the time they're actually designed, tested, and rolled out, it'll be over 10 years.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

N1120A

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:55 pm

I still see this as a shockingly short time for uniform turnover. Also, DL generally has the best uniforms in the US industry, so why dump them? Hopefully it is just a "refresh" and not a complete Cintas overhaul.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

global1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:18 pm

This is not just a refresh with new ties, etc.. It is an entirely new uniform concept for all employee groups that wear one.

They've launched a campaign on social media with a set of clues and encouraged customers and employees to submit their guesses as to the identity prior to the announcement on Thursday.

It's all about the brand. Expect Delta to continue to innovate and upgrade.

Any guesses?

burnsie28

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Which uniform are we talking here? FA uniforms that were done in 2006, ACS, or below wing which was done in the 1990's? The latter is especially not a short turn around time. Again as someone pointed out, it's not going to be overnight, sounds like its just the designer, if they still have to design them that could take a few more years by the time they design and get them produced. At that point 10-15 years is pretty long time for the uniform

N1120A

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:26 pm

Hopefully they aren't competing with the new AA to show that there are more than just 50 Shades of Gray  

Cipango

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:28 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 3):
It's been close to 10 years now. By the time they're actually designed, tested, and rolled out, it'll be over 10 years.

Has it? Wow, time passes without you realising.

I thought the uniforms were introduced around 2010/2011 after the NW merger when they were marketing their huge "Change is Delta" campaign.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

global1
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:34 pm

It's a new uniform for all employee groups that wear one.

I'm sure that several designers presented their vision and concepts and one has obviously been chosen

This is not a 'years' thing. It's more like 18-24 months. I suspect this may coincide with the introduction of the A350, new Delta One seats, and other brand elements

It won't be a 'Cintas" designed uniform either. The chosen designer showcased their ready to wear collection at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York.

I have high hopes and expect Delta to go for the wow factor.

If there are any a.netters out there that are fashionistas, check out the clues and venture a guess!

[Edited 2015-04-29 15:37:11]

[Edited 2015-04-29 15:47:20]

[Edited 2015-04-29 15:56:25]

DualQual

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:50 am

I hope they leave the pilot uniform alone. It's a classic.
There's no known cure for stupid

northwestEWR

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:26 am

Quoting global1 (Reply 9):
It won't be a 'Cintas" designed uniform either. The chosen designer showcased their ready to wear collection at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week in New York.

Thank god. I've never had a decent Cintas piece. The fabric is always the itchiest, stiffest and more awful you can buy. I always bought my own pieces that looked like the uniforms. No one has ever said anything.

I know there will be a lot of excited people in ATL if the designs are good. I do hope they keep the Red Dress though.... meow.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

cjg225

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:46 am

Hopefully it does not fail to live up to the current uniform. Very stylish as it is. It's amazing it has been 10 years. The design hasn't aged at all! It still feels fresh. I wish my current travels had me on DL, or at least seeing DL crew.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

aloha73g

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:58 am

In "Yee Olden Days" airlines used to have new uniforms every 3 - 5 years. The current DL uniform is quite old by that scale at 10+ years by the time they roll out a new one.

It will be sad to see it go, as it is definitely an all time great uniform, but I'm confident DL will replace it with something that is at least better than UA & AA and hopefully just as iconic as their current Richard Tyler designed look.

It's a good sign that they are hiring an actual designer and NOT using a uniform factory!! I flew DL SFO-HNL-SFO weeks before the current uniform rolled out in 2006 and again just after. It was shocking how the exact same employees from check-in and gate agents to flight attendants all seemed to have better attitudes. The switch from the blue/gray to the current look made noticeable improvement in employee attitudes and morale for DL as they prepared to exit bankruptcy.

Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

OA412

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:09 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):

I do agree that it's certainly not been that long since the current ones were introduced, but I suspect this has to do with putting the "finishing touches" on the merger. I also agree that they currently have the best uniform among US airlines, and it would be a real shame if they trade those in for something more drab.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 7):
Hopefully they aren't competing with the new AA to show that there are more than just 50 Shades of Gray  

The uniforms themselves aren't bad per se, it would just be nice to see a splash of color. Gray is a nice color, but too much of it is drab.

Quoting Cipango (Reply 8):
Has it? Wow, time passes without you realising.

I thought the uniforms were introduced around 2010/2011 after the NW merger when they were marketing their huge "Change is Delta" campaign.

No it was mid-00's before the merger.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

northwestEWR

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:15 am

Quoting OA412 (Reply 14):
I do agree that it's certainly not been that long since the current ones were introduced, but I suspect this has to do with putting the "finishing touches" on the merger. I also agree that they currently have the best uniform among US airlines, and it would be a real shame if they trade those in for something more drab.

Especially when you see gate agents for AA or UA at the next gate over and they're wearing polos that aren't even tucked into their pants while DL is in full suits.

ghifty

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:47 am

Quoting Cipango (Reply 8):

You have to remember we're in the year 2015! Indeed, the merger "feels" like it was 5 years ago.. but it was actually announced in 2008.

Whenever a reference is made to anything in the early 2000s, I "feel" like it's only 2010..

This is not a 'years' thing. It's more like 18-24 months. I suspect this may coincide with the introduction of the A350, new Delta One seats, and other brand elements

I have high hopes and expectations as well!

There's nothing wrong with the current DL uniform, nor is there anything wrong about the previous-generation BusinessElite/First seat covers. They are/were very simple and clean, thus as a result unoffensive. In some people's eyes this means "bland" (colors are/were quite muted).

If the new Delta One seat covers have any indication over the new design direction, I think it's reasonable to expect the new uniforms will seem more complex and richer. And, I guess, will utilize less "bland" colors/textures. The carpet color was also darkened (before new seat covers) so I feel darker uniform colors are a given (maybe a less bright F/A dress).
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

mayor

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:20 am

It's a new uniform for all employee groups that wear one.

I'm sure that several designers presented their vision and concepts and one has obviously been chosen

If there are any a.netters out there that are fashionistas, check out the clues and venture a guess!

I believe we're talking about ACS above/below wing uniforms also........had to be in the late 90s or early 00s when we got our below wing uniforms. I never liked that change.........the charcoal grey and dark red just seemed rather boring to me. Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to wear anything flashy if I was still working, but some that looks sharp and professional would be great. I started out in an all grey uniform, then went to primarily blue shirts and blue pants......then we had grey shirts and blue pants and then what below wing wears, now
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

antoniemey

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 15):
Especially when you see gate agents for AA or UA at the next gate over and they're wearing polos that aren't even tucked into their pants while DL is in full suits.

There are no polos in UA's current uniform. US seems to be a big fan of them, though...
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

global1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:02 am

Yes, both above and below wing will get new uniforms.

I expect that the new uniform will not offer as many pieces for the flight attendants, the goal being consistency. There will be choices, but too many options often result in a less uniform and professional look.

I highly doubt that you'll see any options for males, above-wing and crew , that don't incorporate a tie. Nor will you see bomber jackets on pilots.

[Edited 2015-04-29 21:07:43]

northwestEWR

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:32 am

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 18):
There are no polos in UA's current uniform. US seems to be a big fan of them, though...

Polo is probably not the right word for UA's shirts. I'm talking about those button up, collared shirts that aren't nearly fancy or nice enough to be termed dress shirts. They kind of remind me of those Hawaiian/Bahamas button downs except in one solid color.

smi0006

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:01 am

I like elements of the current DL uniform, but other elements are either un-professional or bland. There is a lack of uniformity. Scarves for the ladies, of no scarves - don't make them optional. The turtle neck is too casual for a business class cabin but thats me.

Easily the best US uniform, it would be nice to see more of the ladies in the hats, when worn they look amazing! I say bring hats back, but then I don't have to wear one.

But please DL don't forget your gate agents! The navy is too bland, all ground handlers seem to go for it too.

deltal1011man

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 am

All I can say is I hope that they add about 2-3 inches to shorts this time around. They are fine standing up, but squat down in them and..... they are just way to short.

Quoting mayor (Reply 17):

I believe we're talking about ACS above/below wing uniforms also........

TechOps too

I never liked that change.........the charcoal grey and dark red just seemed rather boring to me.

I like our uniforms alright. I wish the quality was better but...

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 11):
Thank god. I've never had a decent Cintas piece

I think I saw in a memo they were talking to companies like Nike, Carhartt and Under Armor for at least TechOps.
I have a Nike polo or two that was given to me with the TechOps logo on the front, they are much much better than the Cintas polo. (I have seen a few on the ramp too)
Even the Haynes t-shirts we can get in the TechOps store are better than the Cintas shirts.

I always bought my own pieces that looked like the uniforms. No one has ever said anything.

I think that will be coming to a sharp end with this new uniform. That is why i have heard they are looking at brands that aren't complete crap.
but sounds like they are going to get tighter on enforcement

The fabric is always the itchiest, stiffest and more awful you can buy.

Wash your new stuff as soon as you get it a few time (in a row) and kill it with fabric softener. Makes it better. (At least, IMO)

cokepopper

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:08 pm

--Zac Posen, a New York-based fashion designer has been chosen

global1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:41 pm

Awesome.

Check out his collection.

Perfect for positioning the brand as stylish, fresh, forward thinking, and innovative.

Markam

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Quoting cokepopper (Reply 23):

--Zac Posen, a New York-based fashion designer has been chosen

Official Delta press release is available here: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...n-glamour-to-flying-300075271.html

mayor

Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 22):

I believe we're talking about ACS above/below wing uniforms also........

TechOps too

If history is any indication, both Tech Ops and Ramp/Cargo will have all the same pieces, just in a slightly different color palette.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

nwadeicer

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:06 pm

I could give a rats behind what color the uniforms are. I want comfort and quality, Cintas uniforms are like wearing sandpaper. And as was stated above, get some decent cargo shorts that have a little length to them. This isn't the 70's NBA anymore. Everyone I know always gets the pants and has them shortened for a better fitting shorts option. And dump the stupid "shirts tucked in" garbage. I'm in the belly of a 757 in the middle of summer, I could care less if my shirts tucked in or not and I care to bet somebody in the airplane is not going to have a conniption over it. Well then, if what management says is true, somebody did look out and see a ramper with his shirt untucked one day and left the plane to complain about it...
I miss the Red Tail

mayor

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Quoting nwadeicer (Reply 27):
Cintas uniforms are like wearing sandpaper.

What did you have at NW, silk?

N1120A

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 14):
The uniforms themselves aren't bad per se, it would just be nice to see a splash of color. Gray is a nice color, but too much of it is drab.

Agreed. I actually think the designs are pretty good. I really like the idea of CSRs in 3 piece suits.

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 20):
Polo is probably not the right word for UA's shirts. I'm talking about those button up, collared shirts that aren't nearly fancy or nice enough to be termed dress shirts. They kind of remind me of those Hawaiian/Bahamas button downs except in one solid color.

I like the UA Hawaiian shirts.

nwadeicer

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 28):

What did you have at NW, silk?

The same sandpaper as i'm wearing now. It's ok, I wasn't bashing mother Delta....
I miss the Red Tail

deltal1011man

Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 26):
If history is any indication, both Tech Ops and Ramp/Cargo will have all the same pieces, just in a slightly different color palette.

generally yes I would agree.
but I wouldn't be shocked to see the company try to give TechOps more of its own identity

pretty much.

And as was stated above, get some decent cargo shorts that have a little length to them. This isn't the 70's NBA anymore.

and if the regular shorts are even worse!

Everyone I know always gets the pants and has them shortened for a better fitting shorts option.

hm never thought about this.

And dump the stupid "shirts tucked in" garbage. I'm in the belly of a 757 in the middle of summer, I could care less if my shirts tucked in or not and I care to bet somebody in the airplane is not going to have a conniption over it.

this x 10.
I get it for the button down shirts and I think they do look better tucked in.
polos and T-shirts should be out.

northwestEWR

Fri May 01, 2015 5:39 am

I want comfort and quality, Cintas uniforms are like wearing sandpaper.

Wash your new stuff as soon as you get it a few time (in a row) and kill it with fabric softener. Makes it better. (At least, IMO)

This certainly helps and is always the advice I give to anyone getting new pieces. But it's still the worst fabric in my closet.

I think I saw in a memo they were talking to companies like Nike, Carhartt and Under Armor for at least TechOps.
I have a Nike polo or two that was given to me with the TechOps logo on the front, they are much much better than the Cintas polo. (I have seen a few on the ramp too)

That would be GREAT news. The Nike golf style shirts are awesome and I grab them whenever I can.

but sounds like they are going to get tighter on enforcement

Damn, I guess that means my favorite jacket (old old old Northwest) is gonna have to be replaced. But it's so comfortable and vastly more functional! Ugh.

ghifty

Fri May 01, 2015 11:46 am

Looks like this may be a glimpse of what's in store. From Zac Posen's Facebook page:

"Proud Moment.

Excited to announce my partnership with Delta Airlines for the redisign of the uniforms ‪#‎ZacPosenxDelta‬"

You can also catch a glimpse of the unveiling: www.instagram.com/p/2GtnWlG9FQ/?taken-by=zac_posen

www.goo.gl/MaZbkT

Also interesting is that he worked on Christina Hendrick's "Mad Men Ball" dress:

www.goo.gl/fq1F4x

[Edited 2015-05-01 04:48:16]
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

northwestEWR

Fri May 01, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 33):

I don't think that's what's planned for DL.... at least I sure hope not! That looks like everyone else, it's even more plain and boring than what we have now.  

SkyTeamTriStar

Sat May 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 33):
Looks like this may be a glimpse of what's in store. From Zac Posen's Facebook page:

Isn't Zac "jumping the gun"? The employees' hasn't even given their input, yet.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos