Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Luka
Topic Author

Macedonia To Set Up National Airline

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:41 am

Macedonia wants to set up a new national airline since its last one - MAT Macedonian - declared bankruptcy in 2009. They want to do this with another "reputable" foreign carrier and will make a decision in August. Wizz Air completely dominates in Macedonia handling something over 500000 passengers from the country last year (total number of passengers in Macedonia in 2014 was just over 1 mil).

TK is apparently the favorite. Anyone else have any ideas who could be interested?

Source: http://www.exyuaviation.com/2015/04/...ia-seeks-partner-for-national.html

LX138

RE: Macedonia To Set Up National Airline

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:12 pm

I'd dearly love there to be a Macedonian National carrier - but against Wizzair they are going to have to subsidize it for a long time if they are going to see it being sustainable.

"Mr. Jandreoski is confident Skopje will offer transatlantic flights within three to four years"

What is this guy on? Perhaps an outside chance of a 757 from a US carrier or an ME3 stopover but this is surely fantasy at best.
StarWorld Team - The ultimate airline alliance

lesfalls

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:25 pm

Quoting Luka (Thread starter):

It's their own fault to why Wizz air is dominating the market out of Skopjie. The governement first wanted them to open new routes from Skijope and they would subsidize them (still are). Now the government is upset about this. What are they trying to do?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

migair54

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 1):
"Mr. Jandreoski is confident Skopje will offer transatlantic flights within three to four years"

And I am confident that it will be a complete disaster from day 1.

Quoting LX138 (Reply 1):
What is this guy on? Perhaps an outside chance of a 757 from a US carrier or an ME3 stopover but this is surely fantasy at best.

almost impossible to do US to Skopje with a B757 and a ME3 stopping there on the way to the USA is not impossible but I will be anything against it.

I think getting some more traffic would be great for SKP, but creating a national airline is not the solution, trying to attract more airlines with reduce fees and some incentives is a better way to do, and most probably cheaper, TK, Flydubai, AZ, operate there, maybe try to attract LH, QR, FR, KL, I think could work better.

In case we see this project to go ahead, what are the most probable destinations we could see?? LHR, CDG, MOW, DFW, YYZ??

Australis

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):
I think getting some more traffic would be great for SKP, but creating a national airline is not the solution, trying to attract more airlines with reduce fees and some incentives is a better way to do, and most probably cheaper, TK, Flydubai, AZ, operate there, maybe try to attract LH, QR, FR, KL, I think could work better.

I think this would be the better solution for Macedonia in the long run. Dont think they need a national airline per se, but bring in more choice to Macedonia, so people have more options and hopefully fares which are not excessive.

I guess they didnt learn the first time with MIAT...

aircatalonia

Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Slovenia has the same population as Macedonia and they did succeed with Adria. Plus Macedonia has the lowest labor costs in the whole Balkans so I don't think it's such a crazy idea.

motif1

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:00 pm

I don't think it is going to work. Even Bulgaria cannot support TATL traffic.
M1
Not only is this incomprehensible but the ink is ugly and the paper is from the wrong kind of tree

JimJupiter

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 5):
Slovenia has the same population as Macedonia and they did succeed with Adria.

1. "Success" might be a bit of a stretch, considering their performance the past years. They get along by doing some regional flying for LH group and avoiding pipe dreams like starting TATL flights. Rightly so.

2. Slovenia has always been relatively developed in trade and business, compared to most regions of Yugoslavia. There should be a larger customer base for a full service carrier / "national airline".

I would not compare those two cases.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

TIA

Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:16 pm

Stupid idea. The govt is already subsidizing W6. And it seems to be working quite well. Now they want to waste more money to fix something that isn't broken. Go figure.

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 5):

Slovenia has the same population as Macedonia and they did succeed with Adria. Plus Macedonia has the lowest labor costs in the whole Balkans so I don't think it's such a crazy idea.

Slovenia is way richer than Macedonia. Adria is a legacy carrier that would have never come to life in today's world. And most importantly, JP is barely alive and only thanks to some very questionable state aid. And even so, JP saw that relying only on the Slovenian market was a doomed strategy and that's why they have opened bases in PRN, TIA and Lodz.

s4popo

Fri May 01, 2015 2:15 pm

This is the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. There's absolutely zero need for transatlantic service from SKP. WizzAir has done a great job at increasing passenger numbers the last couple of years. I'm in favor of the government subsidies because those increased passenger numbers will have a positive impact to the local economy.

What SKP needs is direct flights to the major European hubs (FRA, CDG, LHR) Star Alliance is the dominant alliance for anything long-haul out of SKP. Actually, OneWorld doesn't even have a single carrier at the airport. The problem is that most flights end up being double-connections (ie. SKP-ZAG-FRA-XXX or SKP-LJU-FRA-XXX.) Reducing most long-haul to single connections would go a long way to improving travel to/from MKD.

If BEG gets transatlantic service, then that would benefit MKD as well. Potential destinations (YYZ, ORD, JFK) for Air Serbia also have significant Macedonian diaspora.

BlueDanube

Fri May 01, 2015 2:29 pm

Quoting LX138 (Reply 1):
Quoting LX138 (Reply 1):

This isn't a good idea at all. It's far for a 757 to fly and probably too small to operate a 767. And even if it worked in peak summer (not saying it would, just supposing), what would be done with the plane the other 9 months of the year?

peterinlisbon

Fri May 01, 2015 3:09 pm

Quoting s4popo (Reply 9):
What SKP needs is direct flights to the major European hubs (FRA, CDG, LHR) Star Alliance is the dominant alliance for anything long-haul out of SKP.

Maybe if there was a national airline that flew to places that Wizzairr and other commercial airlines don't fly it could be a good thing for the country. It would make sense if they flew to a few major hubs and established codeshare agreements, that would improve Macedonia's connections to the rest of the world.

factsonly

Fri May 01, 2015 3:18 pm

The good old days may return:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Gerard Helmer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernhard Bauske

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christian Hauser
View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Posch - VAP

thekorean

Fri May 01, 2015 8:40 pm

These EU countries, instead of setting up national carriers, should convince LCC to set up bases there.

What I find is that countries with tourist reliant economies do not need legacy esque carriers.

SR4ever

Fri May 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Frankly, I which Macedonia a lot of luck in this new attempt. One of the poorest countries in Europe, and little-populated.

Might be a better idea to seek a partnership with Bulgaria Air...

eielef

Fri May 01, 2015 9:36 pm

Also SKP is just 1h away from PRN, which is a quite busy airport in Kosovo/Serbia. Buses, taxis and even trains run very often, and crossing the border is very fast, easy and efficient.

Transatlantic flights? Any airport further than WAW, KBP or MOW can manage to handle transatlantic flights. Not BEG, not ZAG. SKP would be, in my opinion, one of the least suitable ideas.
They don't even have flights to Moscow! And Aeroflot flies to almost all eastern european countries. They should be happy with Turkish (who, by the way, TAV runs SKP airport)

peterinlisbon

Sat May 02, 2015 1:19 am

The answer to everything isn't low cost carriers. What if I need to catch a connecting flight? A lot of low cost carriers simply refuse to provide connections, which is a huge inconvenience and also means that people need an EU visa to get to Macedonia, which they wouldn't otherwise require and this is very difficult or even impossible to obtain for some people. People don't want to have to pick up their bags, wait in line at check-in again and go through security and immigration twice and have the airline stick its fingers up at them if the flight is late and tell them it's not their problem. Or tell them that "you need a visa for Germany" when they don't want to go to Germany, they just want to change planes there.

bjorn14

Sat May 02, 2015 4:13 pm

Virtually every east European carrier is struggling and one of the biggest went out of business a couple of years ago...Malev. As much as I would like to see more airlines I don't see this happening.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

lightsaber

Sat May 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):

Doomed to consume funds Macedonia doesn't have. To support initial long haul a hub is required. That is a long way away. Better to build local infrastructure and build an efficient airport with massive room for growth. Too early for long haul. I'm sad to say this as an aviation enthusiast. But that is where they are.

Lightsaber
4 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

AIR MALTA

Sun May 03, 2015 12:08 am

They do not need double connections for longhaul. They have OS via Vienna and TK via Istanbul that cover North America, Asia and Africa.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

VS11

Sun May 03, 2015 3:45 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 13):
These EU countries, instead of setting up national carriers, should convince LCC to set up bases there.

The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia is not a EU member and it is not very likely to become one soon as they continue to aggravate Greece and Bulgaria, whose support they need.

It shouldn't be shocking if the new airline is called Alexandria Airways, after Alexander the Great, which is also the name of the airport in Skopje. It is not surprising they want to establish a national carrier as the authorities in Skopje are on a binge to establish a national identity but their strategy to label themselves descendants of Alexander the Great has made them the laughing stock of the Balkans.

s4popo

Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 19):

I will agree with you on TK to the east. However, OS coverage to the west is weak (relative to LH.) Also, that still leaves little to no competition. OneWorld is not present and SkyTeam has only AZ.

[Edited 2015-05-04 12:27:22]

s4popo

Mon May 04, 2015 7:26 pm

Quoting VS11 (Reply 20):

A lot of what you have posted can be argued and is not a "fact." I suggest sticking to the topic and staying out of politics.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos