Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Missing Bose Headphones On AA Flight

Sat May 02, 2015 6:34 pm

On a recent AA flight from MIA-EZE, a pair of the Bose headphones seemed to go missing from Business Class. After the FA's made their rounds collecting them (90 minuted before landing, of course), the announcements started that a pair of headphones was missing. As we got closer to Buenos Aires, the announcements got more frequent and nastier. One announcement mentioned that the headphones had a tracking device and would not work outside of the aircraft. Everyone laughed at that one. Next came an announcement that no one would be allowed to deplane until the headphones were recovered. The last one said that Security would be meeting the plane upon landing. The Purser seemed to be in charge of this and she was clearly agitated over the whole thing. We landed, taxied to the Gate, and alas there was no Security or Airport Police meeting the flight. Everyone deplaned as usual. Has anyone else had this happen ? Is the Cabin Crew held responsible for missing Bose headsets ?

slcdeltarumd11

Sat May 02, 2015 6:43 pm

I am sure no one took them, its not like south america has a high crime rate or anything  

Now we know why they force them to collect so early, to at least have time to questions. The FAs maybe should mark each passengers seat number as they give them out and accept them as returns. I have definitely seen them mark seat numbers on a paper as they give them out and then mark thru as they return. This person probably saw they were not marking at all and decided it was a good chance to take

Revelation

Sat May 02, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting greggariouspdx (Thread starter):
One announcement mentioned that the headphones had a tracking device and would not work outside of the aircraft. Everyone laughed at that one.

Maybe they should rig them with ink bottles that explode the first time the headphones are handled away from the aircraft, just like they do with cash from bank robberies. Then the great mystery of all times, "who stole the headsets", just might be solved.      
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

BlueShamu330s

Sat May 02, 2015 7:48 pm

If a passenger has decided to keep them, it is plain, simple thieving, theft, stealing, taking, obtaining without permission.

AA, and any carrier, has every right to pursue every possible avenue to retrieve high value items which might have been stolen by a passenger before the flight is terminated.

The irony is, it is often the person who bitches and moans the loudest about the cost of air travel who is the one uses it as justification for such nefarious behaviour.

Frankly, I'm a bit appalled that the efforts of an airline to retrieve a valuable item belonging to them should invoke a thread title comparing their behaviour to that of the Gestapo of WW2.

Really, I mean, really..?
Flying around India

afcjets

Sat May 02, 2015 7:53 pm

One announcement mentioned that the headphones had a tracking device and would not work outside of the aircraft. Everyone laughed at that one. Next came an announcement that no one would be allowed to deplane until the headphones were recovered.

I find it ironic they laugh at her first claim, yet no mention of any reaction to her threat of false imprisonment. Are Bose headsets given out on JFK-LAX? If so, and had a pair gone missing, I bet it would have been handled differently, because I would imagine her threatening to keep everyone onboard would not have gone over well.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting BlueShamu330s (Reply 3):
Frankly, I'm a bit appalled that the efforts of an airline to retrieve a valuable item belonging to them should invoke a thread title comparing their behaviour to that of the Gestapo of WW2.

Wow.... you are appalled easily. . I agree that the airline has the right to retrieve something of value that has been taken..but I don't think repeated threatening announcements are the way to go.

As it turned out, the missing set was discovered after being miscounted. Perhaps a better Inventory Control System is called for.

Revelation

Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 pm

Yep, and yesterday someone here said window shades that were disabled were "Purgatory".
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

MAH4546

Sat May 02, 2015 8:01 pm

The headphones have, I believe, an RFI tracking device and will indeed not work outside the aircraft. Why people think that's funny is beyond me.
a.

afcjets

Sat May 02, 2015 8:02 pm

AA, and any carrier, has every right to pursue every possible avenue to retrieve high value items which might have been stolen by a passenger before the flight is terminated.

I guess that is where different countries have different laws. In the US, that is not the case. For example, the flight attendant would not have a right to go through every passenger's carry on item. It surprises me that might be different in the UK where you live.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 7):

The I-Pads do have a kill switch but the headphones do not.

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 8:10 pm

Simple fix. Just put numbers and assign them to seat numbers. Hey 5A where are you headphones bro.

MAH4546

Sat May 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 9):

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 7):

The I-Pads do have a kill switch but the headphones do not.

But the headphones have proprietary prongs and won't work outside the plane. That's a kill switch.
a.

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 4):

The false imprisonment was actually discussed by many in J as we approached Buenos Aires. No one knew what the Argentinian Law was. Things got even crazier when a fellow Pax said to the Purser "How do we know that YOU didn't take them?" In any case, it was an ugly situation that should have been handled better. On

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2015 8:17 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 11):

Nope the Bose that AA uses are a standard prong. I have the Beats by Dr Dre so I never use the ones that AA passes out.

FLALEFTY

Sat May 02, 2015 8:26 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):
Simple fix. Just put numbers and assign them to seat numbers. Hey 5A where are you headphones bro.

That would make perfect sense to me! That and do a credit card and/or Apple Pay scan per passenger when handing these $300 Bose cans out. If you don't give them back, you pay for them anyway.

And we wonder why we can't have nice things on airplanes?  

United1

Sat May 02, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 12):
No one knew what the Argentinian Law was.

Doesn't US law still apply anyway as the aircraft was in flight... IIRC the US claims jurisdiction until the cabin door is opened in BA.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 14):
That would make perfect sense to me! That and do a credit card and/or Apple Pay scan per passenger when handing these $300 Bose cans out. If you don't give them back, you pay for them anyway.

And we wonder why we can't have nice things on airplanes?  

That being said. There is no way AA is paying retail on these, second you have to budget for a certain percentage that will be lost, stolen, or break. On the cost of a J ticket I don't think anyone is losing too much sleep.

afcjets

Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 15):
Doesn't US law still apply anyway as the aircraft was in flight... IIRC the US claims jurisdiction until the cabin door is opened in BA.

Not sure but probably. The false imprisonment though would have taken place once the plane was at the gate in Argentina. If that would be considered legal in Argentina, her announcement would have been nothing more than saying Argentina law applies on the ground in Argentina. Nonetheless, I would think her employer would expect her to observe US law when dealing with passengers on the ground in a foreign country unless doing so violated the laws of that particular country, which would be unlikely.

[Edited 2015-05-02 13:42:15]

FLALEFTY

Sat May 02, 2015 9:15 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 16):
There is no way AA is paying retail on these, second you have to budget for a certain percentage that will be lost, stolen, or break. On the cost of a J ticket I don't think anyone is losing too much sleep.

Very true, my friend, very true! But the embarrassment of having to explain that unexpected, $300 (Bose retail) AA charge to the corporate travel department for the cans pinched, might go a long way in discouraging such deviant behavior in the future.

Of course O'Leary and Baldanza might be tempted to have future premium cabins where you need to buy the Bose cans from the FAs at retail, +VAT/sales tax and a "headphone sales charge" before being able to use the IFE?

Oops! I am opening a new "can of worms" here...  

migair54

Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm

did not the cabin crew notice which pax didn´t return them??? I think it should have been quite easy to know who didn´t return them.

FA's made their rounds collecting them (90 minuted before landing, of course)

90 minutes before landing??

All the announcements looks so stupid and kiddish, she just forgot to mention Buenos Aires C.S.I. will search the plane for clues,

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):

I am sure no one took them, its not like south america has a high crime rate or anything  

USA plane with plenty of USA citizens on board, maybe the thief was not from South America.....   

Quoting United1 (Reply 15):

Yes, it does.

Quite easy and fast to do. Send a tweet to AA about it.

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 19):
Quite easy and fast to do. Send a tweet to AA about it.

I will give them my revolutionary ideas at my contract rate  

S75752

RE: Missing Bose Headphones On AA Flight

Sat May 02, 2015 9:47 pm

They do but I don't think it would be worth the effort, delays, and negative impressions left. A pair of these headphones costs $300 new but I'd say that value very quickly decays as they are used more and more. And from experience, these things show their signs of usage very fast. I wouldn't exactly call them a very high value item by the time they go missing. And they start to smell and are kind of difficult to really clean...

However, that does not excuse the passengers action (IF they are actually stolen). It is stealing, yes. But a passenger flying J probably has far more than enough money to get a similarly worn pair from eBay for a hundred-something that has probably not seen the greasy heads of who knows how many other passengers. Either they bought the ticket themselves and has plenty of money to go around, or they are in a business position nice enough to put them in J so I'd bet that they get paid enough of a salary to buy the headphones in pocket change if they wanted. Stealing one of those would be petty.

ridgid727

Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 pm

A few years back, there would always be missing life vests from DL's L1011's on flights into SJU. They finally wised up and put a detection device that would sound if someone exited the jetway with a life vest.

MAH4546

Sat May 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 13):

Nope the Bose that AA uses are a standard prong. I have the Beats by Dr Dre so I never use the ones that AA passes out.

No they use the three prongs. I fly AA all the time and use them. AA has a second headset port for people who bring their own.

ETA: we both might be right. I know the new planes like the 77W and 321 use three prongs but maybe not the old seats.

[Edited 2015-05-02 15:10:31]
a.

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 23):
No they use the three prongs. I fly AA all the time and use them. AA has a second headset port for people who bring their own.

I am fairly sure you could get these rewired at any shady electronics store for under 20 dollars, or by yourself if you know how.

nomadd22

Sat May 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Good policy. That keeps you from finding out those Beats are $60 headphones with a $300 price tag.
Anon

JoeCanuck

Sat May 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 21):
A pair of these headphones costs $300 new but I'd say that value very quickly decays as they are used more and more.

If they are paying retail for Bose head phones, they must be used to getting ripped off. How many hundreds must they buy?

If they aren't getting a huge volume discount, I'd be firing a bunch of purchasing agents.

I agree, theft is theft, but how much is the good will worth
that could be lost by cabin crew flipping out?

If they can't come up with a seat based inventory system, they are begging to be ripped off.
What the...?

dc10s2hnl

Sat May 02, 2015 10:44 pm

The false imprisonment was actually discussed by many in J as we approached Buenos Aires. No one knew what the Argentinian Law was. Things got even crazier when a fellow Pax said to the Purser "How do we know that YOU didn't take them?" In any case, it was an ugly situation that should have been handled better.

AA sure got a planeload full of people to spread some pretty unflattering PR! Costs substantially more than the benefit of retrieving a pilfered set of headphones...

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 26):
If they can't come up with a seat based inventory system, they are begging to be ripped off.

Yep. I would reckon a behemoth like AA has such a procedure, but the FAs on this flight dropped the ball and forgot to mark the handouts/retrievals... it's not rocket science, after all. Perhaps a sheepish explanation would be required from the C class FAs afterwards, hence the frantic PA announcements.

uberflieger

Sat May 02, 2015 10:49 pm

a fellow Pax said to the Purser "How do we know that YOU didn't take them?

Sounds like somebody was completely out of control and utterly unprofessional.
I doubt American asks its stews to make announcements about missing headsets, never mind threaten customers. The loss is part of doing business and the cost negligible compared to the image damage.
Every AA flight I've traveled in J, the flight attendants marked down my seat, when handing me the Bose. The crew would have known exactly, which one went missing.

SCQ83

Sat May 02, 2015 10:53 pm

I think that is very unfortunate from AA. It basically treats every person (in this case in the Business Class cabin) as a potential thief. I hope you have sent a complaint letter to AA. Maybe it is the police-mentality that today reigns in so many places. To me that is a breach of contract from AA with every customer.

flylku

Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Maybe I am naive but I can easily see someone getting their stuf together prior to arrival and accidentally placing these in there briefcase. Or not.
...are we there yet?

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 11:04 pm

Quoting flylku (Reply 30):
Maybe I am naive but I can easily see someone getting their stuf together prior to arrival and accidentally placing these in there briefcase. Or not.

I tihnk so, but the constant announcement would make you remember what you had done.

D L X

Sat May 02, 2015 11:13 pm

But the headphones have proprietary prongs and won't work outside the plane. That's a kill switch.

Anyone can buy that prong at any electronics store.
It's not an effective anti-theft device.

NYPECO

Sat May 02, 2015 11:23 pm

What makes these headphones so valuable anyway? (I'm not saying that that's an excuse to steal them though)

EIDL

Sat May 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Quoting NYPECO (Reply 33):
What makes these headphones so valuable anyway? (I'm not saying that that's an excuse to steal them though)

The brand name. Nothing else

They're $40 (if even) headphones with a $300 brand name on them and you can bet that AA are not paying $300 for them. Due to how over-valued Bose is as a brand I'd actually be looking for them to pay the airline to carry them if I was in that position.

The actual engineering cost of an exceptional pair of headphones does not exceed $100. It hasn't done so for years and never will again. I can get Sennheiser headphones precision-made in my own country (Ireland, even dearer labour wise than what you can get away with as marking "Made in the USA") to an extremely high quality for about $80 for instance.

Beats are a bigger con than Bose but this is the wrong forum to go in to that...

chrisp390

Sat May 02, 2015 11:48 pm

Why would they not just permanently attach them to the particular seat so they can be used while sitting in the seat but cannot be removed from it due to the wire being permanently attached?

32andBelow

Sat May 02, 2015 11:55 pm

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 35):

Why would they not just permanently attach them to the particular seat so they can be used while sitting in the seat but cannot be removed from it due to the wire being permanently attached?

They are nose cancelling so they need to be charged. Also don't really want to be tangled up in a cord when trying to sleep.

blueflyer

Sat May 02, 2015 11:58 pm

I have a feeling the crew's apparent zeal in their efforts to find the missing headphones may have to do with one of them omitting a step, purposely or not, in handling said headphones to begin with, such as not tracking who they were handed to or retrieved from. I can't believe that in normal circumstances, management would come down hard enough on the crew to justify such excessive behavior. I usually give a lot of leeway to crew because they can have a difficult job, but I find threatening an entire cabin with imprisonment over a worn-out pair of headphones to be very much beyond the pale.

DocLightning

Sun May 03, 2015 1:50 am

Are they taken and cleaned after each flight? If so then that leads to an issue in which entire systems must be designed to ensure that the correctly-labeled headphones make it onto each aircraft. That becomes a costly logistical solution that must be weighed against how many headphones they actually lose each year.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

32andBelow

Sun May 03, 2015 1:51 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 38):
Are they taken and cleaned after each flight? If so then that leads to an issue in which entire systems must be designed to ensure that the correctly-labeled headphones make it onto each aircraft. That becomes a costly logistical solution that must be weighed against how many headphones they actually lose each year.

no you label them 1-50 and then the FA write down on a pax list the number next to the seat or whatever. It doesnt have to say 5A, it just needs to have a unique identifier like a golf ball.

HPRamper

Sun May 03, 2015 2:02 am

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 22):
A few years back, there would always be missing life vests from DL's L1011's on flights into SJU. They finally wised up and put a detection device that would sound if someone exited the jetway with a life vest.

DL L1011s into SJU were more than "a few years back"  

mham001

Sun May 03, 2015 3:00 am

We landed, taxied to the Gate, and alas there was no Security or Airport Police meeting the flight. Everyone deplaned as usual.
Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 5):
As it turned out, the missing set was discovered after being miscounted.

If the headphones had already been found, why were you expecting the police?

frmrCapCadet

Sun May 03, 2015 3:08 am

AA, and any carrier, has every right to pursue every possible avenue

false imprisonment, sometimes called kidnapping, possible criminal charges - not to consider law suits and et cetera.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

greggariouspdx
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2015 4:40 am

Quoting mham001 (Reply 41):

The Purser seemed to forget to announce that the headphones had been found. I was informed of this by AA Flight Services when I contacted them to report how unprofessional this woman was. I was told that the headphones had been found after a "Recount" and that the Purser was "under review."

lpdal

Sun May 03, 2015 5:02 am

Our purser on this flight, MIA-LAX, did the paper list thing as he handed out headphones in first class (all pictures by me):

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3910/15118493678_f441684bb9_b.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3919/15118409379_987c19c468_c.jpg
LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

ETA: we both might be right. I know the new planes like the 77W and 321 use three prongs but maybe not the old seats.

No, the above pictured headphones had one prong (notice the old Flagship First Suite). I was actually thankful for that, as it allowed me to use them with my laptop and iPhone.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

ikramerica

Sun May 03, 2015 5:03 am

[Edited 2015-05-02 15:10:31]

The 3 prong models will not cancel noise outside of the aircraft unless you have a way to power them. They are not rechargeable and have no battery. The third prong is a power prong. You have stereo sound with independent grounds for each channel, then a smaller pin for the power (to prevent you from accidentally plugging a standard headphone into that hole and frying it). You can not simply buy an adapter for these to use at home.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

spacecadet

Sun May 03, 2015 5:05 am

Quoting EIDL (Reply 34):
I can get Sennheiser headphones precision-made in my own country (Ireland, even dearer labour wise than what you can get away with as marking "Made in the USA") to an extremely high quality for about $80 for instance.

Sennheiser's noise cancelling headphones cost *more* than Bose's, and aren't rated as highly.

There are some things Bose is good at.

[Edited 2015-05-02 22:06:46]
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

lpdal

Sun May 03, 2015 5:07 am

The headphones pictured above did not have three prongs, just the normal one prong.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

rta

Sun May 03, 2015 5:29 am

I find it interesting that this was even able to happen. If they don't already do so, the headphones should be numbered and each passenger should be tied to a specific headphone. If they forgot to do it with one of the people, I guess this was bound to happen. Too bad someone walked away with them.

peanuts

Sun May 03, 2015 5:38 am

What an incredible thread/topic!
Airlines are raking in the dollars currently, by the billions!
This ego tripping FA should be send to "tact" training.
What an upside down world we live in.

Also: life vests with an anti theft device? More than 10 years ago? Please elaborate...this better be good.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos