Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mjoelnir

RE: Missing Bose Headphones On AA Flight

Sun May 03, 2015 8:04 am

Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 5):
As it turned out, the missing set was discovered after being miscounted. Perhaps a better Inventory Control System is called for.

Now I am pretty sure that nobody reads an older reply on a thread so not to destroy ones preconceived opinions, much nicer to keep on talking about stolen headphones, but...

Headphones not stolen but miscounted by the crew. Action by the crew questionable to say the least.

ukoverlander

Sun May 03, 2015 8:08 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):
I am sure no one took them, its not like south america has a high crime rate or anything

How do you know an American didn't steal them? The USA is hardly a crime free !!!!

scbriml

Sun May 03, 2015 8:24 am

Quoting rta (Reply 48):
Too bad someone walked away with them.

They didn't.

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 51):
How do you know an American didn't steal them?

Because they weren't stolen.

Clue: see reply 5.

ukoverlander

Sun May 03, 2015 8:41 am

Quoting scbriml (Reply 52):
Because they weren't stolen.

Clue: see reply 5.

Last time I checked reply 1 (the reply that I read and was responding to) comes before reply 5.   

N747PE

Sun May 03, 2015 10:34 am

I bet the purser is just ticked because of the mountain of paperwork waiting after a long flight. Bet the paperwork took over an hour to complete.

scbriml

Sun May 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting ukoverlander (Reply 53):
Last time I checked reply 1 (the reply that I read and was responding to) comes before reply 5.

Yes, of course it does. But do you always only read the first post in a 50-post thread before replying? How odd.

ukoverlander

Sun May 03, 2015 1:04 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 55):
But do you always only read the first post in a 50-post thread before replying?

I reply to posts I consider relevant as I encounter them. Maybe for you that's odd but don't worry....I won't judge you for it.

lukeyboy95

Sun May 03, 2015 1:05 pm

It is good that this was eventually down to a fault of AA, but it sounds like their handling of the situation was very poor, and made many PAX feel awkward/ uncomfortable/ threatened.

It is interesting regarding theft from a/c. I think quite a few Anetters are guilty of fairly light theft (safety cards/ a spoon with a logo), but nothing of this value.

Airlines must be very aware of it, as I see more and more often in Y class that they gather in the headphones prior to arrival, as well as blankets on some sectors. Whilst it comes under the guise of preparing a/c for short turnarounds, I feel it is more related to theft of those items. Most airlines I take do not gather in J headsets before landing.

In Y, I always point blank refuse to hand back my blanket and headphones (if gate to gate IFE) until the a/c has landed. The blanket thing particularly annoys me when they ask for it and you are still swaddled in it.

You must collect your keyboard for the desktop computers in the GA lounge from reception because, unbelievably, they have had many thefts of the keyboard.

ltbewr

Sun May 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Accusing 1st class pax of theft is not good business practice. The Purser should do recounts, double check any paperwork and if still believe a headset is missing, find a discrete way to seek out who has retained them.

jetwet1

Sun May 03, 2015 1:20 pm

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 18):
But the embarrassment of having to explain that unexpected, $300 (Bose retail) AA charge to the corporate travel department for the cans pinched, might go a long way in discouraging such deviant behavior in the future.

There is no way AA or any other airline would try to charge anyone, let alone a corporate account for the headphones, that is just asking for the company to pull their contract.

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 14):
That would make perfect sense to me! That and do a credit card and/or Apple Pay scan per passenger when handing these $300 Bose cans out.

Again, asking someone who just payed a few thousand dollars for their flight for a credit card number so they can use the headphones is a non starter, the push back from the corp accounts would be enough to have Parker and the rest of management throwing which ever numb nut implements that idea out of the HQ window.

mjoelnir

Sun May 03, 2015 1:27 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 58):
Accusing 1st class pax of theft is not good business practice. The Purser should do recounts, double check any paperwork and if still believe a headset is missing, find a discrete way to seek out who has retained them.

Accusing a

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 14):
Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 10):
Simple fix. Just put numbers and assign them to seat numbers. Hey 5A where are you headphones bro.

That would make perfect sense to me! That and do a credit card and/or Apple Pay scan per passenger when handing these $300 Bose cans out. If you don't give them back, you pay for them anyway.

And we wonder why we can't have nice things on airplanes?  

And if the crew have done a miscount and let you pay for a headphone that never vanished they would really have some explaining to do. Think how nice an experience for a first class passenger having to pay for some headphone somebody else misplaced.

uberflieger

Sun May 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Not to excuse the insane handling, and I fault the whole crew, because somebody should have stopped the purser, but it's a fact the role of flight attendants changed dramatically after 911. 'Policing' is now very much part of a crew's responsibility and for good reason.
It seems though, management at US airlines dropped the ball. Way too often nowadays customers are being 'ordered' instead of 'asked', a sign flight attendants have not been trained and given guidance in how to reconcile authority and hospitality. This person definitely needs counseling, but so do others.

etops1

Sun May 03, 2015 2:43 pm

I am a Purser for AA . We are responsible for the distribution and collection of all Bose headsets . When we distribute them we have a seat plan sheet that we mark off of wether the passenger either obtained a headset or not . We are required to collect the headsets 60 min prior to arrival . If the passenger is still watching a movie . We replace the headset with earbuds . It's shouldn't be that difficult to track where the missing headset is if you've correctly filled out the paperwork. The purser is held responsible if a headset is gone missing . If we find that a headset is missing . We will recount the amount again , and again before going to out to try and retrieve it . I've never had any problems with anyone trying to steal these headsets . I am usually on the A330 and those headphones have 3 prongs so it really is difficult to USE them outside the aircraft .

notaxonrotax

Sun May 03, 2015 2:55 pm

Quoting etops1 (Reply 62):
We are required to collect the headsets 60 min prior to arrival .

That is early!!
That does´t happen on board the airlines I fly!

No Tax On Rotax

etops1

Sun May 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Well it happens onboard AA . Every airline is different . If we were to collect the headsets right before landing then that's when you can run into issues like missing headsets . These are not just any headset . They need to be collected and placed back into their cases . Logged , and placed back into a cart that's sealed and locked . When you have 30,40, and even 50 passengers in premium class . That's takes some time to do .

blueflyer

Sun May 03, 2015 3:12 pm

The purser is held responsible if a headset is gone missing.

As I suspected, this probably explains the "efforts" made to find the missing headset. Procedure was presumably not followed and someone was going to be held liable...

divemaster08

Sun May 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):
The FAs maybe should mark each passengers seat number as they give them out and accept them as returns

Back in the day when it was the QC1s/2s that they handed out, they DID take note who took them, and then crossed your name off when they were handed back!

Its been a while since I've flown upfront with AA so haven't had the opportunity recently to see what happens now but maybe the original policy should be reinstated?

On another note, its thanks to AA and the Bose agreement that I went out and purchased my own QC 2s! great headset and still going strong 10+ years later (with just one replacement ear cushions required). One day I will upgrade them, but that wont be till they break!

peanuts

Sun May 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting divemaster08 (Reply 66):

Your example illustrates why AA is probably getting a great deal from Bose on these headsets. AA gets credit for offering nice head sets, Bose gets free extended trail exposure from their passengers, resulting in a potential sale . A win win.

The responsibility of spycho FA is AA's. They put that burden on him/her and this person clearly couldn't handle it. A letter of apology to your customers plus some goodwill miles would be in order.

MAH4546

Sun May 03, 2015 7:00 pm

AA is probably paying $0 for the headsets from Bose, if I were to guess. It's advertising from them. Same with the Samsung Tabs, AA probably is getting them for free.

Quoting lpdal (Reply 47):

The headphones pictured above did not have three prongs, just the normal one prong.

-LPDAL

You were on an old 777 that uses one prong.

9w748capt

Sun May 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Would be an entertaining thread on FT. But back on topic,what terrible behavior by the purser, but sadly not unexpected at all from AA's premium crews which are very hit and miss.

TheRedBaron

Sun May 03, 2015 7:52 pm

This thread is so funny, specially because the purser in my humble opinion completely "lost it".

Quoting Revelation (Reply 6):
Yep, and yesterday someone here said window shades that were disabled were "Purgatory".

Auto windows on the 787 are a pita, because I am one of those who love to see the sky and marvel at air travel and the incredible beauty of our planet, having someone decide, that my window must be dimmed...is purgatory for me also.

Quoting EIDL (Reply 34):
They're $40 (if even) headphones with a $300 brand name on them and you can bet that AA are not paying $300 for them. Due to how over-valued Bose is as a brand I'd actually be looking for them to pay the airline to carry them if I was in that position.
Quoting EIDL (Reply 34):
Beats are a bigger con than Bose but this is the wrong forum to go in to that...

Amen Bose and Beats are the cancer of the headphone industry.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 46):
Sennheiser's noise cancelling headphones cost *more* than Bose's, and aren't rated as highly.
There are some things Bose is good at.

selling you overpriced junk.

The only headphones I would steal are the HD800 by Sennheiser, but I already have one...

TRB

nomadd22

Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 pm

We are required to collect the headsets 60 min prior to arrival .

And, you wonder why people badmouth AA. How many pissed off customers are there because you take their headsets half way through a movie? But at least you avoid the risk of losing an over rated headset corporate probably gets for $60 each.

uberflieger

Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 pm

Quoting nomadd22 (Reply 73):
How many pissed off customers are there because you take their headsets half way through a movie?

None, because you're given a regular headset.  

kl838

Sun May 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Why don't they just fix them to the seats a la AF, as they are so concerned about losing them. The headphones are overpriced pieces of plastic anyway. Bose has reached such lows in their product quality, its a miracle people still buy their products.

[Edited 2015-05-03 16:44:44]

jetlad

Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 23):
No they use the three prongs. I fly AA all the time and use them. AA has a second headset port for people who bring their own.

Depending on the aircraft, AA uses two types: one that is battery powered and uses a two-pronged plug (which standard adapters fit); and a newer type with three prongs, one of which supplies power (so no battery). There is never a "second headset port", but standard headsets will work with the AA jacks; on the older aircraft, use a two-prong to one-prong adapter; on the newer ones, just plug the prong into the one hole that provides sound.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 24):
I am fairly sure you could get these rewired at any shady electronics store for under 20 dollars, or by yourself if you know how.

If it's the battery-powered ones, just use an adapter. If it's the three-prong ones, you'd need to wire up a batter pack to supply power.

Quoting chrisp390 (Reply 35):
Why would they not just permanently attach them to the particular seat so they can be used while sitting in the seat but cannot be removed from it due to the wire being permanently attached?

They are removed for cleaning and maintenance when back in the U.S., and they frequently break and need to be swapped out for ones that work.

jsnww81

Mon May 04, 2015 1:40 am

Quoting greggariouspdx (Reply 43):
The Purser seemed to forget to announce that the headphones had been found. I was informed of this by AA Flight Services when I contacted them to report how unprofessional this woman was. I was told that the headphones had been found after a "Recount" and that the Purser was "under review."

You haven't seen nasty FAs until you've seen AA longhaul crews collecting Bose headsets an hour before landing. It's about the only individualized, personal activity they seem to be able to muster the strength to conduct with F and J passengers.

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 58):

Clearly, that would be the professional, polished thing to do. AA's senior crews aren't exactly famous for either of those traits, however.

Quoting peanuts (Reply 67):
The responsibility of spycho FA is AA's. They put that burden on him/her and this person clearly couldn't handle it. A letter of apology to your customers plus some goodwill miles would be in order.

I'd venture AA has decided it's easier to dole out goodwill miles and apology letters rather than confront some of their harsher crew members. The frosty, unwelcoming atmosphere they're capable of creating in the premium cabins is really spectacular to watch sometimes.

Doesn't excuse a potential theft (which it sounds like didn't even happen this time) but there is a calm, professional way to handle situations like this. AA's longhaul prison matrons seem to take a particular pride in avoiding that option.

BestWestern

Mon May 04, 2015 5:05 am

They seriously collect the headphones 60 minutes before arrival?

That's pathetic. The US3 cosy cartel is taking passengers for granted.

AA777223

Mon May 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 34):
The brand name. Nothing else

They're $40 (if even) headphones with a $300 brand name on them and you can bet that AA are not paying $300 for them. Due to how over-valued Bose is as a brand I'd actually be looking for them to pay the airline to carry them if I was in that position.

The actual engineering cost of an exceptional pair of headphones does not exceed $100. It hasn't done so for years and never will again. I can get Sennheiser headphones precision-made in my own country (Ireland, even dearer labour wise than what you can get away with as marking "Made in the USA") to an extremely high quality for about $80 for instance.

Beats are a bigger con than Bose but this is the wrong forum to go in to that...

There are plenty of headphones that cost more than this - and cost more to manufacture. Just because you listen to $80-90 Sennheiser doesn't mean they all cost that much. I use Shure for example. They cost a lot more than $300, and a lot more than $100 to manufacture.

dtw2hyd

Mon May 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 77):
There are plenty of headphones that cost more than this - and cost more to manufacture. Just because you listen to $80-90 Sennheiser doesn't mean they all cost that much. I use Shure for example. They cost a lot more than $300, and a lot more than $100 to manufacture.

We are talking about a discontinued QC15. It used to retail for $299, I am sure airlines or any bulk purchaser wouldn't pay more than $150.

When my out of warranty QC15 broke, Bose gave a replacement for $89.

That is not the point. Would you insult your premium passengers collectively for $150, and say Oops my bad. Not a good show. They need different process to deal with theft.

ikramerica

Mon May 04, 2015 7:14 pm

If it is that important to recover an occasional $150 headset they should invest in QR code scanning and tracking. Scan the label, type in seat number on display. There you go. At end of flight, collect them quickly and scan them as you rebar them. You will know who's headset is gone very quickly. No counting...

Of course the cost of this system is way more than the cost of shrinkage.

EIDL

Mon May 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 77):

If there is any perceivable difference at all, its not $220 worth of a difference.

Audiophile rinsing has been a proud tradition of the industry for years, it seems now that digital interconnects making it harder to sell overpriced cables they're just moving on to headphones.

RussianJet

Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Astonishing behaviour from the purser, issuing threats to a cabin full of premium pax. I'd be wanting to know a little more about the outcome than that she was 'under review'.

D L X

Mon May 04, 2015 10:24 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 80):
If there is any perceivable difference at all, its not $220 worth of a difference.

Where are you getting Sennheiser noise canceling headphones for under $300?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos