dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Emirates To Upgrade First Class Offering

Mon May 04, 2015 5:17 pm

I started this thread again because the moderators deleted my first thread because I violated a rule. So here it is again.

" Dubai's Emirates is preparing to launch a new luxury bedroom product on its Airbus A380 and Boeing 777s, a senior airline executive has said.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of Arabian Travel Market (ATM), Sheikh Majid Al Mualla, divisional senior vice president of the Commercial Operations Centre at Emirates airline, said the new premium product would be “more like a private railway cabin” and will cater for one passenger."

source: http://www.arabianbusiness.com/emira...s-product-591479.html#.VUeo9_mqqko
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

Miami

RE: Emirates To Upgrade First Class Offering

Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm

I wonder if the "luxury bedroom" will beat Etihad's.

Can't wait to see the upgrade!
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

migair54

Mon May 04, 2015 5:28 pm

As we were saying yesterday.

Basically it will be an upgrade version of the First class suites, more privacy and cheaper prices (commercially viable according to the article).

I´m wondering how are they going to make it more economically viable keeping the highest level or even higher, maybe they are planing to do in a way they can add a couple of seats more in the same space.

I hope we can see some pics soon.

PM

Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm

The ME3 (certainly EK and EY but QR too?) are really chasing the very, very top end market. Is it worth it or is it a marketing campaign that they hope will rub off on their bread and butter seats?

jfkgig

Mon May 04, 2015 6:04 pm

This is guilding the lilly on the F product, which is already good, but I don't know how Emirates can ignore the awful J cabins with 2-3-2 non-flat seating in their 777s, which is a decade out of date, uncompetitive with almost all other offerings, and simply uncomfortable -- especially since these are on some of EK's longest routes. In my opinion, EK should be putting its resources into fixing this problem, which can no longer be ignored.

Marvinhsv

Mon May 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 3):
but QR too?

They decided to go for a top-notch Business Class instead of competing in First Class. Imho it makes sense as the chance of filling up a Business Class section is way easier. Those First Class suites is more PR than anything else - not really a moneymaker on long term.

Cipango

Mon May 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting jfkgig (Reply 4):
This is guilding the lilly on the F product, which is already good, but I don't know how Emirates can ignore the awful J cabins with 2-3-2 non-flat seating in their 777s, which is a decade out of date, uncompetitive with almost all other offerings, and simply uncomfortable -- especially since these are on some of EK's longest routes.

I agree. I think they should go down the line of BA (with their front/rear facing seat) or adopt the herringbone (a la NZ, VS, DL, CX and AC). This is if they don't want to put too much O&D into the matter.

If they do want to create their niche business class (which, lets be honest we would all love to see) then the 2-3-2 layout where you have to climb over people has to go and they need to seek innovative designs for their new J class.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

RemoFlyer

Mon May 04, 2015 6:41 pm

Yes we definitely need more bling   

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2015 6:42 pm

Emirates wins Best Airline, Best First Class, Best Economy Class & Best Cabin Staff at Business Traveller ME Awards
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

330lover

Mon May 04, 2015 6:47 pm

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Reply 8):
Emirates wins Best Airline, Best First Class, Best Economy Class & Best Cabin Staff at Business Traveller ME Awards

Because they - coincidentally - sponsored a lot ?
Just guessing...
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

SR4ever

Mon May 04, 2015 6:50 pm

Their 777s definitely need a new J cabin, as their 2-3-2 layout is now very much dated, even though the angled seats are not that bad, as almost flat. Going for a reversed herriringbone à la AF/BR/US/MU etc would be the best option, combining privacy with reasonable density. The gap to the J cabin of their 380s is now too wide not to be addressed.

b747400erf

Mon May 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Reply 8):

EK pays their way to the top, if they cannot buy all the awards they create new ones!

Cipango

Mon May 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 11):
EK pays their way to the top, if they cannot buy all the awards they create new ones!

To a certain extent. Some awards are open for bribery but they do have an excellent economy class (3-4-3 vs. 3-3-3 aside, please do not debate, there are enough threads on that), a good first class product (even though it has begun to fall below its competitors) and an overall good airline.

Their cabin crew can excellent but unfortunately they fall down on their inconsistency.

So maybe EK pays for their awards but its not exactly like Air Koryo is wining airlines of the year. It's an airline I, and many others, have been loyal to for a reason.

330lover

Mon May 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 12):
It's an airline I, and many others, have been loyal to for a reason.

Because they offer the lowest fares ? (because they don't care if they make profit or not...)

The service may be okay, but comfort is not to write home about. Who likes to travel in business these days in a 2-3-2 config.
Mind: I never travel C, don't have the $$$ for it, but I have a lot of clients flying monthly in business, but disliking EK because of the old fashioned business on the 777's and even worse their 330's
Britten Norman Islander VP-FBR on Falkland Islands. THAT'S FLYING!

Cipango

Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Quoting 330lover (Reply 13):
Because they offer the lowest fares ? (because they don't care if they make profit or not...)

Nope. I have flown EK even when it wasn't the cheapest option.

Clipper101

Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Here is my entry from the first thread again:

If it happens, I suspect it would be on A380 #91 for EK since in my understanding the configuration up to #90 is already freezed. So, for the latest batch of 50 A380’s we may be looking at new cabin besides new engines for EK.

If, as somebody mentioned already, that the drive is to offer a new spacious premium F/C, then it could be a possibility that EK will take EY initiative & remove the middle line of F/C seats. I doubt upper A380 cabin can take a more spacious F/C cabins over what is already offered. To look for more spaciousness (if more spaciousness is the objective) then there are two options:

1- To remove existing mid line of F/C suites, like EY did ...

Or,

2- Go down to Main deck. From seeing AF A380 MD F/C IMHO I think MD is more worthy of a F/C A380 product than on UD, but this is just MHO.

Both above options have their own pros & cons regarding passenger capacity, passenger perception to EK product & their effect on yield. But what encourages me to think about a revolutionary step by EK is the IFE on their A319CJ & the level of comfort that aircraft F/C suites are putting forward out of their spaciousness.
So, if we are talking about A380 #91 (which I do believe so) then the 777’s EK to incorporate such a move could be most probably those future B777X entries.

Retrofits!!?? Depending on what will their new cabin would bring in deviation & complexity to current product. But, everything is possible at a cost: Cost of Engineering work plus cost of aircraft down time which could be excessive for an involved work. However, EK has already done extensive maintenance work on its A380’s; so, cabin major work could not prove much challenging to its engineering department.

Clipper101

Mon May 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Quoting PM (Reply 3):

Who says that? Top notch European airlines do reserve high percentage of their cabins (I want to specify here their long haul fleets) for premium products & less so for Economy. This is a fact not solely specific to EK, EY & also QR.

VC10er

Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 pm

I AM SHOCKED! This is the first time I heard that Emirates has angled flats in J class! What are they most like? TAM? the old Lufthansa seat, American?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

b747400erf

Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 14):

Nope. I have flown EK even when it wasn't the cheapest option.

Certain types of people do things so they can show off to others, it is a form of status. I bet you have LV carry on luggage too

AABB777

Mon May 04, 2015 11:16 pm

I wonder if this could in fact be a product designed for EK: http://skift.com/2015/04/15/the-seat...-business-class-and-first-class/#1

Clipper101

Mon May 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 17):

Whenever you read the term ‘lie-flat’ associated to B/C seats that means an angled backrest in full recline backrest sleeping mode, not much though (mostly 3 degrees up) but sufficient to make you feel a little less comfortable. ‘Full flat’ is the 180 degrees back recline in a sleeping mode, more common on F/C seats than B/C & usually made to give an advantage of F/C over B/C (besides giving space for an extra row of B/C). However, full flat seats are making inroads to B/C: EK's new A380 B/C has full flat seats in sleeping mode. LH new B/C seats in B7478i & retrofit A380’s also show full flat B/C seats in sleeping config.

[Edited 2015-05-04 16:43:12]

Clipper101

Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 19):

IMO, I doubt it. Especially for F/C seats, EK is known to stick with trade mark signature designs as opposed to industrial ones. Nice concept, having more a scent (smell) from EY A380 F/C.

Taking a little technical look into it, it looks challenging for a B/C on an A380: for one, adapting outboard cubicles (as they look like) into the contour of the UD; another observation, it looks to carry added structural weight over current concepts (much concern for a weight conscious airline). But, EK is also known to raise the bar on its B/C product whenever it raises the bar on F/C. I would love to see it in a simulation covering a B/C cabin how it would look like.

[Edited 2015-05-04 17:18:11]

[Edited 2015-05-04 17:19:45]

Cipango

Tue May 05, 2015 12:24 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 18):
Certain types of people do things so they can show off to others, it is a form of status. I bet you have LV carry on luggage too

No LV for me. I have a Samsonite suitcase which was gifted to me when I left my last job and I actually despise the brand obsession. You do know I am talking about Y class and I am talking about the difference of €60-70 which avoids 19 hour layovers in PEK or DME? Hardly makes me one of the "rich kids of intagram". Someone is quick to judge.

You clearly don't understand the term "brand loyalty". Me paying more to fly EK has nothing to do with "daddy's money" (or lack of). It is because it is an airline that I choose to fly and have accrued many FF miles through my loyalty and custom. It is also the airline that offers the best connection to my frequented destinations (HKG, CAN, SIN) from DUB (1 stop vs. 2 stop). So I am not showing any "status" that you speak of, I am just saying I prefer to spend that little bit more to fly EK with excellent food, drinks, IFE etc. rather than flying SU or CA which are usually the cheapest airlines for my frequent routes.

[Edited 2015-05-04 17:29:37]

jfkgig

Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 17):

The EK J seats are very similar to the older offerings of AA and JJ -- I think that TAM's old J seating (which is still its predominant offering) and current EK J seating are actually identical. More importantly though, EK's 777 business seating is substantially inferior to the most recent offerings of these carriers -- particularly American's, which has a CX style reverse herringbone seating which is at the head of the class.

That AA's new business class is so far superior to EK's, calls into serious question Emirate's commitment to offering a quality product -- they simply don't in the 777 business class cabins. That DL's beats it as well (a product that is already several years old), is perhaps even more shameful. It would be acceptable for a regional business class -- in fact I believe that SQ's regional 777-200s have similar seating in J -- but is not acceptable for a long haul (like the 15 hour flight between GIG-DXB).

SR4ever

Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 am

So let's keep our fingers crossed so that EK finally upgrades its J/C cabins on its 777 fleet, at least on those aircrafts used on non-regional flights. EY and WY now offer a substantially better product on non-regional flights.

LOWS

Tue May 05, 2015 1:45 am

Quoting RemoFlyer (Reply 7):
Yes we definitely need more bling   

You beat me to it.

I hope they add more gold stuff.

sandyb123

Tue May 05, 2015 6:43 am

Quoting Clipper101 (Reply 15):
the level of comfort that aircraft F/C suites are putting forward out of their spaciousness.

IIRC The A319 private jet has the same hard product as the wide bodies?

Quoting migair54 (Reply 2):
Basically it will be an upgrade version of the First class suites, more privacy and cheaper prices (commercially viable according to the article).

I've flown EK F four times and on each flight have been amazed at the lack of passengers. The highest load factor was 3 out of 12 suites on an A345 CPT-DXB, other times I've been the old F pax.

how Emirates can ignore the awful J cabins with 2-3-2 non-flat seating in their 777s, which is a decade out of date

Agree the 777 hard product is far behind now. Even the staggered a380 product doesn't compete particularly well with, for example the EY 787.

But they are the leader of the ME three and their market position is more than just the hard product.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

SKAirbus

Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Hopefully the product will be less bling, and more stylish.

With all the Gold, you could easily mistake it to be P Diddy's private jet.
Base: BRU

futureorthopod

Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 pm

Wow...I'm going to work really hard to perhaps one day be able to afford and enjoy this experience. Well...it all starts with rocking my board exams
T - 10 days...   

SR4ever

Tue May 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 26):
But they are the leader of the ME three

Yyes they are but, their leadership is bound to be eroded, at leats in relative terms, in so far as:

- QR sustains an aggressive expansion, using smaller frames (320) on more secondary airports, doubtless an easier way to start new thiner routes than sending a 332

- QR also has substantial pending orders, and does not rule out a fleet of 25+ 380s in the coming years

- QR is now a member of OW, and we can expect closer ties with some of their members (BA, CX, MH, JL)

- EY has a more prudent strategy, yet with quite many orders in the register, and a superior product

- EY has a much more generoius state shateholder

- EY is pursuing an aggresive external growth strategy, and building an alliance of its own, possibly a future suballiance within SkyTeam

- TK is developping a more balanced network, with less focus on South Asia, yet with a lot of untapped markets, using a broader array of aircrafts

- KC in Astana now aims to be the Emirates of the steppe

Clipper101

Tue May 05, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 26):

the level of comfort that aircraft F/C suites are putting forward out of their spaciousness.

IIRC The A319 private jet has the same hard product as the wide bodies?

Your IIRC more-or-less is correct. Their A319CJ suites overall carry same signature design of main fleet wide bodies, however, some alterations can be seen that exploited the added spaciousness offered by the dedicated A319CJ VIP cabin as I indicated which introduced new possibilities: Seats are wider than wide bodies, their flat tv screen is wider, more stowage capacity offered & most importantly they provide a possibility to invite a companionship (for example, for a table discussion or for a dinner)

Revelation

Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 pm

Quoting jfkgig (Reply 23):
The EK J seats are very similar to the older offerings of AA and JJ -- I think that TAM's old J seating (which is still its predominant offering) and current EK J seating are actually identical. More importantly though, EK's 777 business seating is substantially inferior to the most recent offerings of these carriers -- particularly American's, which has a CX style reverse herringbone seating which is at the head of the class.

That AA's new business class is so far superior to EK's, calls into serious question Emirate's commitment to offering a quality product -- they simply don't in the 777 business class cabins. That DL's beats it as well (a product that is already several years old), is perhaps even more shameful.

OMG - who knew that two of three US3 carriers actually do SOMETHING better than a ME3 carrier!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

migair54

Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 11):

Same procedure with QR and Skytrax, and many more airlines, not only this ones.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 27):

More gold is necessary, otherwise people will say that it´s a worse product. They should ask Mayweather how to decorate the new cabin, he has a very good taste.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 19):
I wonder if this could in fact be a product designed for EK: http://skift.com/2015/04/15/the-seat...-business-class-and-first-class/#1

I see that one more in the line of BA, if you see the pic is face to face seating, so someone is looking back in the cabin.

What about something like LH with a nice seat plus the bed with a close cabin like the ones they have now?? that will reduce the width of the seat but having a real bed could be great.

Clipper101

Tue May 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 32):
Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 27):

More gold is necessary, otherwise people will say that it´s a worse product. They should ask Mayweather how to decorate the new cabin, he has a very good taste.

May I add in reply to SKAirbus that EK F/C product is meant to be a private jet experience you do not need to be mistaken about it

sandyb123

Tue May 05, 2015 9:43 pm

2- Go down to Main deck. From seeing AF A380 MD F/C IMHO I think MD is more worthy of a F/C A380 product than on UD, but this is just MHO.

Agree that the main deck gives more space for First ala SQ but the main configuration conflict would be the shower spa which is located in the upper deck either side of the staircase in the 'brow' of the aircraft. This is effectively dead space on the A380 (can't put pax in there) and would take up earning space on the main deck.

I personally liked the upper deck EK a380 experience with the 'cozy' suites, spa and of course, the F/J bar.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

VC10er

Wed May 06, 2015 12:23 am

I know UA is changing soon in J, but it too is old. But it is full flat. I'd prefer the AA, DL and even current UA over TAM or the old angled LH seats. It's very strange to sleep like that and for the outrageous fares today, I don't get how they get away without a full flat seat...this is NEWS to me re: EK business seats.

Even if TAM had EK service, I wouldn't fly them to Brazil. I would fly economy + and take an extra Xanax and save the money.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Clipper101

Wed May 06, 2015 7:17 am

Quoting sandyb123 (Reply 34):

True, if it is an option it needs to be thought of thoroughly for all arrangements. The answer could be in shuffling things up on the UD, those dead spaces (where the Shower Spa is right now) could be side extensions for a Fwd Business Lounge as opposed to the now Aft Business Lounge. Two smaller size Shower Spa (same as those on EY A380) can service F/C area. Utilizing Fwd stair case by itself is an experience, that would permit F/C passengers who want to utilise Lounge to go up & B/C passengers who want to utilise Shower Spa to go down the stairs. But I do not know if there is safety limitations on human traffic up/down the stairs during flight … now you made me brain storming [sigh]

SR4ever

Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 am

Or perhaps, EK could retain the current Spa/Shower facilities on the UD with the F/C cabin on the MD. And next to the stairs on the UD, offer and exlusive Lounge-Bar for F/C passengers (similar to what was fitted on the UD of the very fisrt 747-100s)

Clipper101

Wed May 06, 2015 9:24 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 37):

Was also on my mind but some how resisted it. IMHO with F/C on MD you will also have a a dead space on the sides of the stair case, Shower Spa better to be associated more with F/C since anyways F/C need to have a lav in the vicinity, plus there is already a solution for a smaller Shower Spa.

[Edited 2015-05-06 02:31:47]

[Edited 2015-05-06 02:50:30]

777way

Wed May 06, 2015 10:12 am

Quoting SR4ever (Reply 29):

- TK is developping a more balanced network, with less focus on South Asia,

They cover all of South Asia barring some Indian routes that bilaterals do not allow, if you meant their focus is not on targetting traffic from that region like the ME lot then yes, but again for ME its alot of point to point traffic from the region and not just transit.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos