Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kordcj

RE: FlyChicago | ORD+MDW Aviation Thread

Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Just read that AY will be returning next summer with 5x weekly. Guess this means summer 2015 was a success for them.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...easonal-service-to-chicago-in.html

Good news for ORD! Wonder how much negotiating it will take to make T6 (really T5 addon) a reality. It'd do well for all parties involved.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

rta
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:10 pm

Great news! Strange thing written in the article though

Quote:
AA, which has its largest hub at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, is one of Finnair's One World global airline alliance partners/

ckfred

Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:32 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 199):
Has anyone noticed that the cell phone lot has been relocated? The old one was so far (near the Metra station), I never used it. I used to goto a maintenance lot on Schlitz Road and watch the planes land on 27L but the enforcement was getting more aggressive. Now they have a lot just north of my old illegal lot on Bessie Coleman Dr. just north of Schlitz Road. Much better location than the old lot and will probably be used more because of it. Plan watching isn't as good due to a large mound dirt between the lot and 27L

I picked up my wife the afternoon of September 10th and headed straight to the old cell phone lot. I think the signs still indicated that he cell phone lot was at the northbound Mannheim Rd. exit off of I-190. When I got there, it dawned on me that Lot F was closed, because that will be the new rental car garage. But, there were a few cars parked in what was the old cell phone lot, but I wondered where the crowd was, along with the arrival board.

The problem with the Lot near G off of Bessie Coleman Dr. is that it requires a left turn. With rush hour and the volume of cars coming out of Lots E and G, as well as the rental car lots, that could be a long wait.

My problem with T5 this summer wasn't getting out of town (although R.J. Grunt's seemed to be out of about half of its menu items), but rather the eternal wait for bags. I was on the BA 77W flight, it it was half an hour between the first bag coming off the carousel before my bags showed up. There were a couple of airport employees who had to shut off the conveyor, because the volume of bags was creating jams that had to be cleared. Unlike domestic flights, where many, many people carry on their rollerboards and stash them in the overheads, overseas passengers travel much heavier and pay to check their large bags.

Considering that at 7pm, there weren't that many flights putting off passengers (there was virtually no line at Immigration), it seemed to me that the BA flight should have been using 2 carousels. We were about 20 minutes late, and passengers making connections were getting anxious about the amount of time they were going to have to claim bags, go through Customs, recheck bags, and get over to a domestic terminal.

jcwr56

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:35 am

Quoting ckfred (Reply 202):
Considering that at 7pm, there weren't that many flights putting off passengers (there was virtually no line at Immigration), it seemed to me that the BA flight should have been using 2 carousels. We were about 20 minutes late, and passengers making connections were getting anxious about the amount of time they were going to have to claim bags, go through Customs, recheck bags, and get over to a domestic terminal.

Usually after 6pm CBP closes down carousels 1-5 and request remaining flights be assigned 6-9. Carriers in the morning, usually NH and JL, UA and AA can get assigned two, but once flight activity kicks in that stops.

kordcj

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:14 am

Is 10/15/15 still holding for 28L/10R? Seems like 10C/28C just got up and running, and here we are opening a new runway! Exciting times at ORD.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

kordcj

Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:16 am

Is 10/15/15 still holding for 28L/10R? Seems like 10C/28C just got up and running, and here we are opening a new runway in 2 weeks! Exciting times at ORD.

United787

Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Quoting kordcj (Reply 204):

Is 10/15/15 still holding for 28L/10R? Seems like 10C/28C just got up and running, and here we are opening a new runway! Exciting times at ORD.

Worth asking again since no one answered and we are 2 days away...these articles say it is opening Thursday...

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151012/news/151019771/

http://www.journal-topics.com/news/a...6-6d3c-11e5-ab8d-df1ec3f65841.html

United787

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:46 pm

10R/28L is open!

ORD: Runway 10R/28L Officially Open (by jcwr56 Oct 15 2015 in Civil Aviation)

United787

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:54 pm

Article on ORD's delay problems:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...-solutions-met-20151016-story.html

First I have heard that there are actual plans to add some gates in the "near " future:

""Our constraint has moved from the airfield to the gate area,'' Evans said in an interview. She said discussions with the airlines are underway to build 12 new gates — six each at two so far undisclosed locations — by about 2018. It will take longer to develop a comprehensive plan for additional gates, she said, declining to specify how many gates O'Hare would need over the long haul."

kordcj

Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Could Evans be alluding to the revitalization of the world gateway program? Wasn't it supposed to be somewhere around 15 gates between T4 & T6? Seems a colossal waste of money, I'd rather see a reconfigure of the terminal complex to match the effenciencies of the airfield like DEN, ATL, etc. Mayve jcwr56 can provide some better info.

jcwr56

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:43 pm

The question that should be asked is; Where is the demand for additional gates needed, Domestic, International or both?

It's common knowledge that the Lynx, old Sky Chef and Burlington freight (where Chicago Police are located) buildings around T5 are finally scheduled for Demo. Could this be tied into the article, perhaps.

It's known the goal is to have 4 A380 gates at ORD, so is a larger facility built to handle them that's tied to T5 one of the six? The ULLC and LLC's want to grow capacity and can't given the current location the 4 are located in. Given they operate off 6 gates currently do you split them off?

Then we have AA/UA which internationally will eventually replacing 767's with 787's and A350's capacity that currently couldn't be handled that T5. Do they both invest in something they can use?

Food for thought...

CHI787ORD

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 pm

Quoting jcwr56 (Reply 210):
The question that should be asked is; Where is the demand for additional gates needed, Domestic, International or both?

It's common knowledge that the Lynx, old Sky Chef and Burlington freight (where Chicago Police are located) buildings around T5 are finally scheduled for Demo. Could this be tied into the article, perhaps.

It's known the goal is to have 4 A380 gates at ORD, so is a larger facility built to handle them that's tied to T5 one of the six? The ULLC and LLC's want to grow capacity and can't given the current location the 4 are located in. Given they operate off 6 gates currently do you split them off?

Then we have AA/UA which internationally will eventually replacing 767's with 787's and A350's capacity that currently couldn't be handled that T5. Do they both invest in something they can use?

Food for thought...

More gates at T5 are a no-brainer.

Seems like the other location would probably be T1 no? seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to build six gates off one of the ends of the C concourse.

cat3appr50

Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Let me take this opportunity to give a big thumbs up to the engineering and design company(s), the construction management company(s), and all of the construction companies and construction trades who have worked on this KORD project to date, with runway additions, runway modifications, taxi modifications, roadway modifications and upgrades, control tower additions, miscellaneous infrastructure additions, etc. In addition, the City has done a great job in overseeing this massive project and communicating well the status, challenges, schedule, etc. and working closely with and coordinating with the FAA and the public. And as usual the KORD air traffic controllers, IMO the finest in the business and truly dedicated professionals, have integrated the changes and additions seamlessly as well.

The project to date has been IMO a great success and the expediency and overall quality of design and construction and implementing the additions and changes seamlessly with ongoing operations and getting into commercial operation quickly and “doing it right the first time” have been impressive. It wasn’t that long ago that KORD had a lot of relatively inefficient logistics relative to taxing, departures, and arrivals, bottlenecks, etc.

I’m convinced the changes and additions that have been implemented over the past few years (and more changes and additions coming in the future) will significantly increase KORD logistics efficiency, on time arrivals and departures, overall airport safety, and a very significant increase in overall airport throughput.

elbandgeek

Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:49 am

Quoting cat3appr50 (Reply 212):

My cousin is one of the engineers who worked on 10/28C and I'm sure he'd be very happy to hear all of this. It really is easy to forget about all the people involved in a project like this. It doesn't just appear out of nowhere and everyone involved in the project should be proud of themselves for how it's gone so far.

United787

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:05 pm

Quoting cat3appr50 (Reply 212):

Agreed...this project has been massive in size and complexity and appears (from the outside) to have gone as smoothly as one can hope for. Congrats to the entire team!

threeifbyair

Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Flew out of ORD T3 on Friday morning, are the security lines normally that bad between 6am and 8am? I've only flown out midday or at night in recent years and lines were much shorter.

The lines of all the checkpoints stretched far out of the mazes, back into the ticketing areas. Most of the terminal area was a security line for one checkpoint or another. TSA staffing seemed ok, all of the machines and lines were open. Usually when SEA has huge lines (which is normal now) it is because TSA is only staffing part of the checkpoints.

I spent over an hour in line - luckily I was early and still got to my gate before boarding.

jetblastdubai

Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 215):
I spent over an hour in line - luckily I was early and still got to my gate before boarding.

Hint: Go thru T2 security.

ORDfan

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 199):
I wonder why they don't use those two large unused lots just northeast of Lots B & C as cell phone lots. They are directly off the return to the arrivals. If they really want to reduce congestion in the arrival area, designate a cell phone lot that people will actually use since they pass it everytime they circle around. I guarantee you that the overly aggressive dumb ass rent-a-cops wouldn't need to be such a-holes either. A win-win for everyone involved!

I didn't see that about the relocated cell lot but that's a great point about creating a cell lot by B. There's usually plenty of spots on that northern fringe of the lot and I think that would make way easier for people picking up passengers to easily segway back into the arrivals lanes that run right next to B&C and the garage, not to mention it would probably be more actively used.

What never ceases to amaze me is how many people pull over on the side of Kennedy before the Manheim exit with their blinkers on, waiting for arriving passengers. I mean some days/nights, it seems like especially during the holidays, there are more cars waiting along the shoulder of the Kennedy than in the actual cell lot! I can't believe the city police or the curbside rent-a-cops don't actively patrol that area and ticket those people to deter that.

airstatdfw

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:29 am

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 216):
Hint: Go thru T2 security.

T2 can have long lines as well, as TSA has reduced the amount of screeners since US airways moved out. Only Air Canada, Delta, and small ticket counter for United is all that is left in Term 2.

AAplat4life

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:43 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 215):
Flew out of ORD T3 on Friday morning, are the security lines normally that bad between 6am and 8am? I've only flown out midday or at night in recent years and lines were much shorter.

Security lines have been very crowded in T3. I suspect that this is due to more flight activity in the L concourse by airlines other than AA, but it is all lines in T3 even the ones closer to the H & K concourses. Even the TSA pre-check line has been very long, but it moves well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos