Nimish

RE: EK Hints At Next US Destinations?

Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 3):
For goodness sake haven't they got enough American destinations? There comes a time when airlines have to slow expansion down.

Perfect - and that's what we're seeing the US3 do - contract capacity to increase loads/ yields. Good for them. The ME3 seem to have a different strategy and one that is profitable for them - which involves constant increases in capacity and markets. Works well for them so far!
Incredible India!

lesfalls

Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 pm

Quoting LH422 (Reply 47):

It didn't work out because of their operating times(departure from HAM to JFK was in the evening so it wasn't so good for business travelers).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Robbie86

Wed May 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 18):
Wouldn't CPH and ARN not work with DY offering low fares (even lower then SK,UA and DL) to JFK and other American cities?(I think that's why UA made their Scandinavia routes seasonal?)

I honestly think that EK can compete with both SK and DY on their US destinations from both ARN and CPH.

If u add a meal and luggage to the DY ticket, the difference in price isn't that big in price between SK and DY.

The businesses in the the Stockholm area is craving more international routes from ARN.

EK would offer a way superior product in all classes, and probably won't be more expensive then a DY (including all) ticket.

I could definitely see EK do DXB-ARN-EWR, DXB-ARN-ORD, DXB-ARN-LAX in the future.

lychemsa

Wed May 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Qatar fly to Miami. I am surprised Emirates don't.

OA412

Wed May 13, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 37):
DEN has often been criticized as a white elephant -

That article is from 1993, before the current airport even opened...
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

747megatop

Wed May 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 42):
I don't understand. If you live in the DEN area NRT, LHR, and FRA give you some excellent destinations in Asia and Europe with just that one stop.

Well compare the array of destinations & choices available from let's say SEA (or LAX/IAH/EWR/DFW for that matter). You are 1 stop away from the excellent destinations you mention provided that you are travelling on BA/LH or UA only. And that was my point. Otherwise, yes, you are right, most destinations are 1 stop away...but again, those destinations served 1 stop out of DEN are most likely non stop out of the other airports that i mentioned.

jeffh747

Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm

Quoting lpdal (Reply 34):
I'm sure the Broward County Aviation Authority would love to have EK, as well as Miami Dade. But I can't take this guy seriously when he says things like "There is money in Fort Lauderdale". What, money in an airport with an almost 8-way LCC/ULCC bloodbath? Lol? He should be focusing on MIA! That's where the money is.  

I disagree with you on a number of your posts but that's probably the most realistic factor in this situation. Fort Lauderdale is nice, but let's face it, Miami is the gateway to the Americas, and is a true world class city on par with New York and LA. That MIA is only a ten minute drive to the city center is a huge plus. All FLL has to it's advantage is B6 and their connections, and that Port Everglades is right next door.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

tortugamon
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 48):
A 737-900ER and also a 777-300ER need at MTOW a slightly longer runway than a A380-800.

I am bearish on FLL but I don't think they will be getting an A380.

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 56):
You are 1 stop away from the excellent destinations you mention provided that you are travelling on BA/LH or UA only. And that was my point.

I think the reality of the today's flying without the ME3 is that you fly one of the three alliances through one of three Alliance hubs if you fly from North America to Asia or North America to Europe and DEN has two European gateways on two Alliances *A and OW and one *A into NRT for Asia flights. I think NRT is one of the best Asian airports for connections. I hear your point but I don't think the market is ready for DEN-PEK or DEN-HKG quite yet. Its still quite easy to get to SFO (UA), SEA (DL), and LAX (AA, plus a handful of Asian carriers) for that connection to the other first tier destinations. I see DEN as a domestic/North America hub not an international one (yet).

Quoting jeffh747 (Reply 57):
Miami is the gateway to the Americas, and is a true world class city on par with New York and LA.

Miami is the 44th largest city in the US.

I think there are a number of affluent communities in South Florida that would prefer FLL as a gateway. Ft Lauderdale, Pembroke Pines, Palm Beach, Davie, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, Port St Lucie, Miramar, Sunrise, Plantation...even North Miami Beach and forget the i95 South Traffic. I could see people driving over alligator alley from Naples/Cape Coral and FLL is more convenient for them too. That's more than 1.8 Million people right there certainly smaller than MIA but its considerable.

I think MIA would have more cargo opportunities and the runway is longer so it wouldn't have performance issues but EK would certainly have competition in LH, BA, AA, QR, IB, etc while FLL is pretty light in that regard. I don't know, I think its a tough choice but I do only see one happening in the next 2-3 years.

All FLL has to it's advantage is B6 and their connections, and that Port Everglades is right next door.

It certainly has that and look at where they have expanded recently JFK (4 flights), BOS (2), SEA (2), MCO (1) all destinations with a partner on the other end (B6 and AS) offering feed while LAX and SFO are still a single daily service.

Even QR said today that they are trying to partner with B6; I think they see the benefit.

tortugamon

MAH4546

Wed May 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 58):
Miami is the gateway to the Americas, and is a true world class city on par with New York and LA.

Miami is the 44th largest city in the US.

Miami is the fourth largest urban area in the United States.

City size is of no relevance here.

I don't know, I think its a tough choice but I do only see one happening in the next 2-3 years.

There is no tough choice here.

It certainly has that and look at where they have expanded recently JFK (4 flights), BOS (2), SEA (2), MCO (1) all destinations with a partner on the other end (B6 and AS) offering feed while LAX and SFO are still a single daily service.

EK's MCO schedule offers virtually no connecting feed to/from B6.
a.

tortugamon
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 59):

Not sure where you get that from. I have NYC, LAX, ORD, BOS, IAD/BWI, SFO/OAK/SJC, DFW, and PHL as larger.

Regardless, the MIA urban area you mention includes FLL and all of the cities I mentioned (except Naples).

It sounds like EK is debating both.

EK's MCO schedule offers virtually no connecting feed to/from B6.

I don't see why not with a 11:00am arrival and 1:20pm departure. But I actually don't see that as the primary reason EK did it. I think they were seeing that B6 was connecting a ton of people from BOS and JFK to MCO and by going direct they can capture that traffic for themselves and let B6 send that EK traffic to the dozens of other locations B6 flies from those cities.

tortugamon

VCEflyboy

Thu May 14, 2015 12:21 am

I think the move is more political. Although some of you are saying MXP, ARN and CPH may not make impressive business cases, the correlation is that these destinations have been underserved by the troika and there is strong local support for more US flights, therefor the proverbial "EK is stealing US jobs" argument goes out of the window because US airlines have chosen not to compete in these markets.

MAH4546

Thu May 14, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 60):
Not sure where you get that from. I have NYC, LAX, ORD, BOS, IAD/BWI, SFO/OAK/SJC, DFW, and PHL as larger.

In urban area? No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_urban_areas

It sounds like EK is debating both.

No, it does not. It sounds like somebody said "Ft. Lauderdale would love to have us."
a.

Viscount724

Thu May 14, 2015 1:07 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 62):

In urban area? No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...areas

I don't understand the relevance of the Miami "urban area" since the map I've found in the US census site seems to include FLL which has it's own airport.

DolphinAir747

Thu May 14, 2015 2:04 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 61):

I think the move is more political. Although some of you are saying MXP, ARN and CPH may not make impressive business cases, the correlation is that these destinations have been underserved by the troika and there is strong local support for more US flights, therefor the proverbial "EK is stealing US jobs" argument goes out of the window because US airlines have chosen not to compete in these markets.

MXP has service on AA, UA, and DL to several points in America.

flyDTW1992

Thu May 14, 2015 2:11 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 63):
I don't understand the relevance of the Miami "urban area" since the map I've found in the US census site seems to include FLL which has it's own airport.

I'm not sure about the urban area, but the Metropolitan Statistical Area includes a huge stretch of the coast, from Miami up to West Palm Beach, with Ft Lauderdale in between. It's a continuous, densely populated stretch of coastal land.
Now you're flying smart

DolphinAir747

Thu May 14, 2015 2:21 am

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 65):
I'm not sure about the urban area, but the Metropolitan Statistical Area includes a huge stretch of the coast, from Miami up to West Palm Beach, with Ft Lauderdale in between.

Yet the residents of West Palm Beach want to fly to a Middle Eastern destination that is not served by EK 

greenjet

Thu May 14, 2015 2:43 am

[quote=DolphinAir747,reply=66]Yet the residents of West Palm Beach want to fly to a Middle Eastern destination that is not served by EK [/quote

Detroit, right?  

tortugamon
Topic Author

Thu May 14, 2015 3:25 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 62):
In urban area? No.

I have another link that says its 8th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

tortugamon

SESGDL

Thu May 14, 2015 3:31 am

Funny that urban area is only a statistic that can be used when building up MIA. For any other city, metropolitan area is more useful...

Jeremy

lightsaber

Thu May 14, 2015 4:30 am

I find it fascinating that an airline I couldn't have named before 2000 creates so much discussion on a.net. Yes, it is the growth rate and a sense of panic among competitors not yet ready to adapt. Some is that no one else has figured out how to use the A380 to feed their network except for a few destinations.

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 69):
Funny that urban area is only a statistic that can be used when building up MIA. For any other city, metropolitan area is more useful...

That still leaves MIA/FLL and ATL as the two largest markets not yet served by EK that they have a chance. (QR at PHL is going to be tough to crack in my opinion.)

But it has to be more than just population, or MCO would never be served.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

OA412

Thu May 14, 2015 2:15 pm

It's bogus. Just cherrypicking "facts" again to make MIA look better. MSA, which is what most people would look at lists the MIA area as the 8th largest in the US, which still makes it a large city, but it doesn't sound quite as good as 4th...

Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

adamh8297

Thu May 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 71):

It's bogus. Just cherrypicking "facts" again to make MIA look better. MSA, which is what most people would look at lists the MIA area as the 8th largest in the US, which still makes it a large city, but it doesn't sound quite as good as 4th...

When dealing with international - I think CSA is a better estimate especially for BOS ORD DFW and LAX with alternate airports having very little international service.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

747megatop

Fri May 15, 2015 2:19 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 70):
Yes, it is the growth rate and a sense of panic among competitors not yet ready to adapt.

I think we kind of know the reason for the panic. The US3+EU3 JVs are getting hammered on the US-India segment. Not a question of not ready to adapt; there are a number of factors because of which ME3 are currently at a huge advantage and you can't simple compete with them -
1) extremely long stage lengths of 15+ hours make US-India non stops unviable other than NYC-DEL/BOM.
2) ME3 have unmatched access to secondary European and Indian cities because of which they are making a killing
both on the India-US segment and Australia-Europe segment.
3) Aviation policies and mismanagement in India and Europe doesn't help (taxes, night curfews etc). So, to compete you either need to change these things or the aircraft technology has to change.

What is even more fascinating is that the Indian carriers that are getting hammered are not doing anything about this. At best the only response we have seen is 9W getting into bed with EY.

This pretty much sums up US3's(and EU3's) panic -
-----
As the White Paper notes: “It is no coincidence that over this same period, the Gulf carriers’ share of U.S.-Indian Subcontinent bookings more than tripled (from 12.0% to 39.8%), while U.S. carriers and their JV partners lost nearly 800 bookings per day”.

Realistically it seems that it is really these services where the big three anticipate longer term problems from the Gulf airlines."
---
Source -
http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...whats-the-underlying-agenda-217931

What is stunningly fascinating to me is the deep slumber of the Indian carriers & Indian,European & US govts. If nothing is done that 39.8% figure will quickly climb to 70% or more after which neither the custome will be happy nor the competing airlines because the US - India market will be left with a 70% majority triopoly.

MillwallSean

Fri May 15, 2015 4:21 am

Ah EK and Mr Clark. When thing we should know. When he speaks he does so based on facts, not guesses like many of us.
There was a time when he spoke about US destinations before, few listened instead talk on A.net ended with a few posters convincing each others that MIA was the most likely market for EK to open. Since then EK has opened 4 new destinations in the US without touching MIA.
There is a reason for that and that is demand and marketsize to the destinations EK serve. The fact the EK has substantial demand to Colombia doesn't matter for EK. Thats not their market. And should EK wish to serve the Americas they would do so through other ports than MIA.

MIA is a great market to the Americas and for charter-holiday Europeans.
Apart from that its a city with little demand. The business sector is aimed at the Americas and the general corporate scene is small. The oil and gas is minimal and the Subcontinent / African immigration is less that at many other destinations.
Thats why MIA wasn't chosen before BOS, ORD, MCO etc. And MCO, that route hurt the pro MIA crowd and businesscase substantially.

However, with each announcement, MIA is closer to a route. Eventually it'll be served but the hubris we have seen from some MIA posters have been rather tiring.

The next logical market for EK is Newark (Serving EWR helps them reach the rather large Indian and especially Gujarati diaspora in New Jersey plus the greater NY/NJ area).
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

MAH4546

Fri May 15, 2015 4:46 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 68):
I have another link that says its 8th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...Areas

You are using metro, I am using urban. They are both valid, but when comparing cities in the U.S. to cities outside the U.S., urban is better because it uses more commonly accepeted global methods of measuring population. It does favor more compact, dense cities like Miami and Philadelphia over sprawling areas like Dallas or Atlanta. Using urban area bothers a lot of people, though, as you can see. It's typically the same people that insisted Miami would never see a flight to the Middle East and have been proven wrong over and over again.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 74):
However, with each announcement, MIA is closer to a route. Eventually it'll be served but the hubris we have seen from some MIA posters have been rather tiring.

Miami has it's Middle Eastern carrier with Qatar. And in October it welcomes Turkish; the market is very well served. Emirates will be a welcome addition in the future and will undoubtedly serve Miami. I absolutely agree Newark is the most logical next step; but Emirates has shown with recent additions, like Orlando and a second daily to Seattle, it is looking beyond just entering obvious markets like Newark, Miami, a second daily to Los Angeles, etc.

There is a reason for that and that is demand and marketsize to the destinations EK serve.

I hope you are not implying Orlando has more demand and larger market-size to those beyond markets. That's hysterical. Miami is in a league above; but so are Atlanta, Newark, Philadelphia and Detroit, and Emirates isn't in any of those markets, either. Emirates is taking a very risky but likely long-term rewarding step by growing in fringe markets, and I wouldn't be shocked, if this continues, if Vegas is next.

[Edited 2015-05-14 21:52:15]
a.

tortugamon
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2015 5:17 am

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 75):
You are using metro, I am using urban. They are both valid

People often travel from outside immediate urban areas for their 10+ hour international flights. Urban population is irrelevant regional traffic is.

tortugamon

29erUSA187

Fri May 15, 2015 5:32 am

Quoting ADent (Reply 46):
What about KEF and all the places FI can take you with one stop?

Or the even more served by BA and LH from LHR and FRA. You can essentially go anywhere from these hubs.

LAX772LR

Fri May 15, 2015 5:39 am

Actually, urban area does make more sense... it's not like people in Boca, Wellington, Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, or heck even Jupiter-- won't use MIA if the situation warrants.

Same for SoCal, I mean, Riverside/Palm Springs/Coachella is no longer part of L.A. metro, but it's not like those people don't use LAX, especially for int'l travel.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

speedbored

Fri May 15, 2015 6:32 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 76):
People often travel from outside immediate urban areas for their 10+ hour international flights. Urban population is irrelevant regional traffic is.
Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 78):
Actually, urban area does make more sense..

Personally, I don't think looking at just the population in the area around an airport, regardless of which measure of area is chosen, will ever give a true picture of the sort of services an airport could support, for a number of reasons, for example:

People often stick with an airport out of habit so how well established an airport is will affect the numbers.
People are happier to travel further to an airport for lengthy longhaul flights, than they would for shorthaul, so the mix of flights will affect the numbers.
It is not just "local" people who use an airport, so the attractiveness of the area to "foreign" business and tourist traffic, and the number of connections available to transit passengers, will also affect the numbers. Wichita has a higher static population than Orlando, for example, but does anyone really expect Wichita to attract the same volume of international traffic as Orlando?

Just looking at any one statistic to try to determine the viability or otherwise of an airport, or routes to/from an airport, will never give the true picture - you need to consider a whole load of factors.

HB-IWC

Fri May 15, 2015 6:56 am

The next logical market for EK is Newark (Serving EWR helps them reach the rather large Indian and especially Gujarati diaspora in New Jersey plus the greater NY/NJ area).
Quoting mah4546 (Reply 75):
I wouldn't be shocked, if this continues, if Vegas is next

I concur that Newark is likely very high up the list of plans for EK's further North American expansion. I also agree that Vegas is by no means out of the scope of possibilities, but I think the second Los Angeles will be reinstated first. Finally, I believe that one of the next expansions in the Americas will not be in the US, but somewhere in Central America, with PTY having a good chance of getting service, likely in combination with something else.

Ncfc99

Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 73):
This pretty much sums up US3's(and EU3's) panic -

Below is a link posted by Factsonly in another thread. Its reagrding the antitrust for the DL/KL/AF JV. If competition to the JV wants to start the route, slots have to be handed over. If EK where to ask for slots to begin AMS-JFK or CDG-JFK, the whole issue flair up again. DL have asked for and got antitrust immunity(with agreed clauses), but it may bite them in the ass.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-15-4966_en.htm

What is stunningly fascinating to me is the deep slumber of the Indian carriers & Indian,European & US govts. If nothing is done that 39.8% figure will quickly climb to 70% or more

I'm not overly familiar with the bilateral between India and UAE, but I think it is seat limited. It can be stopped at 39.8% but will the Indian government do so? I also wonder how EK is going to satisfy their expansion into the US -India market if they are already maxed out on seats to India, which apparently is all they are interested in.

tortugamon
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 80):
Finally, I believe that one of the next expansions in the Americas will not be in the US, but somewhere in Central America, with PTY having a good chance of getting service

I think DXB-PTY would be their longest route; more than 200nm further than DXB-LAX. I would not hold my breath for that one. I think they would need a partner for feed on that route and I think we will see a 2nd LAX, SFO and a first to EWR before PTY. I could see LAS, DEN, and DTW as more likely than PTY actually. When the 778 comes then I think the dynamic to that area of the Americas will change for EK.

tortugamon

747megatop

Fri May 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 82):
I could see LAS, DEN, and DTW as more likely than PTY actually

I agree. For that matter even PHX and maybe PDX before PTY. I find it hard to imagine why would PTY passengers go to DXB in the first place and if they did then where would they connect to from there? One must not forget that a huge chunk of EK passengers are connecting passengers. I don't think PTY has strong business ties to India and they probably don't have a large Indian population either; unless of course they have a sizeable population of Arab immigrants which i can't imagine will be more than what you would find in DTW/PHX/PDX/DEN catchment areas.

LAX772LR

Sat May 16, 2015 2:24 am

Quoting speedbored (Reply 79):
will ever give a true picture of the sort of services an airport could support, for a number of reasons, for example:

Well yeah, it won't give the overall picture, because it also doesn't take into account corporate presence, hub capability, or route subsidy.

But that's not the point of what I wrote. It's that when you look at anything less than the population who's likely to use the place on a routine basis (i.e. City Proper vs Metro or Urban area), you're artificially limiting the scope in a way that's not reflective of reality. It's not to say that that's the ONLY determination of what the airfield can offer, as it clearly isn't.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

lightsaber

Sat May 16, 2015 3:52 am

I agree with your assessment. In many prior threads I've noted EU and GoI policies that hamper their airlines competitiveness. You seem to have a good understanding.

Just imagine a 3 or 4 runway LHR fed by US secondary cities with A321LRs. Or Mumbai with a new airport that is operated with air service rights of a Way port. The ME3 wouldn't be able to adapt.

Or the new IST with equal rights to India ad EK...

All of this would benefit India and hurt the ME3. No need to tell me the low probability...

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

SCQ83

Sat May 16, 2015 5:52 am

I could see DEN very well happening. Also don't forget that Denver is the gateway to the Rocky Mountains (Middle Easterns like skying in Aspen) and Colorado is also a typical destination for ME students. Not big reasons to start a ULH flight to Denver, but I am sure there are more connections Colorado - ME that most people imply here. Many posters were skeptical about SEA and now it is double daily. I see DEN as MCO, an outlier so they can feel comfortable by themselves with no other ME3 competition.

As for the FLL thing, it seems to me a way to put pressure on MIA (better slots?). After all they already started MCO before MIA, so MCO+FLL could put MIA in a bad shape to get MIA services. But I can't really see EK at FLL instead of MIA.

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 80):
I concur that Newark is likely very high up the list of plans for EK's further North American expansion. I also agree that Vegas is by no means out of the scope of possibilities, but I think the second Los Angeles will be reinstated first. Finally, I believe that one of the next expansions in the Americas will not be in the US, but somewhere in Central America, with PTY having a good chance of getting service, likely in combination with something else.
DXB-PTY-MEX? It is +13.2% longer rather than DXB-MEX non-stop.

I could see that happening. I am sure the Panamian government will be OK in order to get new TATL service for their "Dubai-style" hub in PTY (they could do interlining with Copa).

As for the Mexican government, they would be getting EK and competing in somehow of a secondary route for Aeromexico like MEX-PTY (in case they get 5th freedom) where in any case Copa is likely dominating because of their hub system at PTY.

[Edited 2015-05-15 22:55:39]

miaintl

Sat May 16, 2015 11:24 am

If MIA is only a popular charter destination from Europe, than why is it served by all the major EU (non-charter) carriers. This October OS and TK are coming to MIA. Very few US airports have the EU service MIA has.

yellowtail

Sat May 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 83):
ce and if they did then where would they connect to from there? One must not forget that a huge chunk of EK passengers are connecting passengers. I don't think PTY has strong business ties to India and they probably don't have a large Indian population either; unless of course they have a sizeable population of Arab immigrants which i can't imagine will be more than what you would find in DTW/PHX/PDX/DEN catchment areas.

The only thing that pty has is a little hub from a little airline that serves just about every city in Latin America and is willing to codeshare with anyone. Oh and it is a fast growing city with lots of business traffic and a proactive govt willing to write rev guarantee checks.

No they are definitely not looking at PTY
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

tortugamon
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 86):
DXB-PTY-MEX? It is +13.2% longer rather than DXB-MEX non-stop.

I don't think the 77L can do that route without significant adjustments.

tortugamon

lightsaber

Sat May 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 88):
The only thing that pty has is a little hub from a little airline that serves just about every city in Latin America

Wait.. so if EK flies there they could seed a large markets? I wouldn't rule it out. EK has been known to start bridge routes and then move on when it is time.

Lightsaber

VCEflyboy

Sat May 16, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 64):
MXP has service on AA, UA, and DL to several points in America.

Yeah which is negligible. most of the money is made through JV with European airlines ex LIN.

727LOVER

Sat May 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Quoting miaintl (Reply 87):
If MIA is only a popular charter destination from Europe, than why is it served by all the major EU (non-charter) carriers

Oh wait......YOU of all people are going to get MIA defensive??????  
This October OS and TK are coming to MIA.

And by your account, they'll be gone in 2 years!

Very few US airports have the EU service MIA has.

Well, lets see....MIA is on the east coast....so when you look at other east coast airports...BOS, JFK, IAD, maybe EWR.... and lets not forget ORD which is in the middle of the country.... PHL is about the only one I'm positive they beat....

Now surely you're not trying to compare MIA with the likes of TUL, MSY, MKE, RIC

Eventually it'll be served but the hubris we have seen from some MIA posters have been rather tiring.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

usairways85

Sat May 16, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 70):
That still leaves MIA/FLL and ATL as the two largest markets not yet served by EK that they have a chance. (QR at PHL is going to be tough to crack in my opinion.)

QR largely survies at PHL without relying on connections to India. Well, that's purely my speculation considering most if not all of QR's connections from PHL through DOH to India are very long (~10 hours). There is some potential for EK. Although I always thought EK through a EU hub to PHL is more likely.

MAH4546

Sat May 16, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 92):
Well, lets see....MIA is on the east coast....so when you look at other east coast airports...BOS, JFK, IAD, maybe EWR.... and lets not forget ORD which is in the middle of the country.... PHL is about the only one I'm positive they beat....
MIA has more European carriers than any U.S. airport outside of JFK, which is what the poster was likely referring to. During the winter it definitely has more capacity than BOS, ORD, IAD, etc. ORD definitely comes ahead in the summer months, but MIA probably stays ahead of the rest in the summer. ATL likely has more summer capacity than any of them, MIA included. It is a larger local market to Europe than Chicago, Boston, Washington, etc.

[Edited 2015-05-16 15:34:13]
a.

tortugamon
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting mah4546 (Reply 94):
MIA has more European carriers than any U.S. airport outside of JFK, which is what the poster was likely referring to.

I would not think that is a reason to open a route especially if you are a middle eastern airline.

tortugamon

MAH4546

Sat May 16, 2015 11:48 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 95):
MIA has more European carriers than any U.S. airport outside of JFK, which is what the poster was likely referring to.

I would not think that is a reason to open a route especially if you are a middle eastern airline.

Nobody ever said it was.
a.

727LOVER

Sun May 17, 2015 1:19 am

But what he SAID was

than why is it served by all the major EU (non-charter) carriers.

...and going by that

MIA

AF
AZ
BA
IB
LH
SWISS
TAP
Virgin Atlantic

coming soon
TK
Austrian

IAD

Aer Lingus
Air France
Austrian
BA
Brussels
KLM
LH
SAS
Turkish
Virgin Atlantic

ORD

Aer Lingus
AF
AZ
Austrian
BA
IB
KLM
LOT
LH
SAS
SWISS
Turkish
Virgin Atlantic

BOS

Aer Lingus
AF
AZ
BA
IB
LH
SWISS
Turkish
Virgin Atlantic

Wasn't sure whether to add AB...if we are, MIA and ORD can add it.

If we are going to add EVERY single European airline

MIA: 17
IAD:: 11
ORD: 15
BOS: 12

How about everything that crosses the Atlantic Ocean....oh....never mid...

http://www.miami-airport.com/airline_information.asp
http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/831.htm
http://www.flychicago.com/OHare/EN/MyFlight/Airline/Pages/Airlin
http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/airlines-at-boston-logan/

No matter how you look at it....all of these airports have impressive lineups.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thomaas

Sun May 17, 2015 1:28 am

MIA has more European carriers than any U.S. airport outside of JFK

MIA has 3 more European airlines, all of them leisure oriented carriers that do not run daily, yet frequency is much higher at ORD than MIA. ORD also beats it in terms of destinations served.

MAH4546

Sun May 17, 2015 2:45 am

Why are you cherry picking airlines? What makes Airberlin, the fourth largest intercontinental airline in Europe after the "Big 3" not major? Why are you excluding Air Europa which is a larger operation than LOT or Brussels? Why does it even matter? Why does it bother people that MIA has so much trains-Atlantic service, more capacity than BOS and IAD have. At the end of the day they all have impressive European service and that's that.
a.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos