Triple7Lr
Topic Author

Rumor: DL Ending DXB Update

Tue May 12, 2015 4:58 pm

I saw this rumor posted back in Feb and I've heard from 3 different friends in Tech Ops that DL is ending the route Oct 1st. Has anyone else heard anything about this route? Also what will DL do with the spare Triple7's?

Sightseer

RE: Rumor: DL Ending DXB Update

Tue May 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Quoting Triple7Lr (Thread starter):
Also what will DL do with the spare Triple7's?

Assuming they choose not to abuse them on shorter routes, I think DL will send them somewhere over the Pacific since the ME3 are trashing yields to the Middle East & South Asia, should this rumor turn out to be true. Personally, I would like to see either East Coast-HKG or LAX-MEL.

deltal1011man

Tue May 12, 2015 8:10 pm

not saying they are or aren't cutting the route (i personally haven't seen anything that says they are)

but cutting it in 4-5 months and it still hasn't been pulled from the system seems unlikely. I would think it would be done by now if it were going to happen.

if they cut it, probably see the 777 capacity just used to replace the 744 and/or change a route that needs the extra range of the 777 (ie DTW-PEK or SEA-HKG)
or possibly add another route to China.

enilria

Tue May 12, 2015 8:19 pm

Quoting Deltal1011man (Reply 2):
but cutting it in 4-5 months and it still hasn't been pulled from the system seems unlikely. I would think it would be done by now if it were going to happen.

1) It's easily reaccomed over JV hubs, so they can wait a bit.
2) I'm betting this is tied into the Fair Skies effort. They are either going to stay in the route if they get sanctions and declare victory or they are going to drop it and decry subsidies. They must think Obama will move on the evaluation of the charges by a certain date...or they are hoping.

liftsifter

Tue May 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 3):
Obama

With his push to get support for the TPP, I doubt this is even on his mind, especially considering the UAE plays a big role in the join coalition against ISIS.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

747megatop

Tue May 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 1):
Personally, I would like to see either East Coast-HKG or LAX-MEL.

Or is there possibility of seeing SEA-SYD/MEL? That's about the only missing link in DLs impressive build up of international destinations in SEA over the past few years.

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Quoting 747megatop (Reply 5):
Or is there possibility of seeing SEA-SYD/MEL? That's about the only missing link in DLs impressive build up of international destinations in SEA over the past few years.

I think you would see KIX, TPE or MNL before you would sea SYD or MEL from SEA. LAX-MEL on the other hand would not surprise me.

Prost

Tue May 12, 2015 10:53 pm

I'm based in n SEA and even the most hopeful crew members hasn't come up with this rumor,

[Edited 2015-05-12 16:10:21]

IndianicWorld

Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 pm

Quoting osubuckeyes (Reply 6):
I think you would see KIX, TPE or MNL before you would sea SYD or MEL from SEA. LAX-MEL on the other hand would not surprise me.

LAX-MEL is already likely too competitive, with 2 players on the route non-stop (QF 10x weekly, UA 7x weekly).

To add another daily flight, which it would need to make sure it was a competitive offering, would be a step too far I would suspect.

As for SEA-MEL/SYD, interesting idea but the O&D from SEA is not high for either route, although it could try and market the route to YVR residents and try and feed off its growing hub to boost traffic. Just can't see it being too successful though.

MKIAZ

Wed May 13, 2015 2:46 am

SEA-SIN could be a possibility. They would be the only US non-stop.

northwestEWR

Wed May 13, 2015 2:48 am

I haven't heard a single whisper about this flight being cut. Absolutely nothing. Just the gossip on this forum.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

airportugal310

Wed May 13, 2015 3:02 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 10):
I haven't heard a single whisper about this flight being cut. Absolutely nothing. Just the gossip on this forum.

Doesn't mean it's not possible, probable, or complete conjecture

I am privy to a lot of info at work that this place would die for...I for one won't divulge but it doesn't mean others are as moral, for a lack of a better word

Certain TechOps people may very well know, as third party mx contracts tend to have long cancellation notices so they could be clued in. In addition to airport leases...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

mayor

Wed May 13, 2015 3:19 am

Still shows in the schedule up thru 11/03.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

mcogator

Wed May 13, 2015 3:30 am

Having been on this flight a couple of times different times of the year, it seemed like a large percentage of the passengers were military related heading to/from Afghanistan. Can the subsequent, if true, end of this flight be due to the draw down of operations in Afghanistan? On all of my flights I don't remember seeing an empty seat in coach or business. It could me due to my fare being $750 All In on my last MCO-ATL-DXB-ATL-MCO trip.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

b747400erf

Wed May 13, 2015 5:33 am

They are either going to stay in the route if they get sanctions and declare victory or they are going to drop it and decry subsidies. They must think Obama will move on the evaluation of the charges by a certain date...or they are hoping.

America doing or saying anything that goes against their opec allies in the region? Hell freezes over first. America opens up bases and sells billions of defense industry products to that region, not to mention the oil price drop is thanks to those allies. I question your knowledge on this subject if you think sanctions against any of the ME3 is a possibility.

G500

Wed May 13, 2015 3:02 pm

I'd be willing to bet that delta ends this route

We are talking about a route between two airports that serve mainly as connecting hubs, with weak O&D traffic.

SESGDL

Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 15):
I'd be willing to bet that delta ends this route

I'd bet against that. DL leaving this route opens up a huge door for EK to start service, which, given recent developments, is the last thing DL wants EK to do.

Jeremy

avi8tir

Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 pm

All I know is that fares to DXB are CHEAP this year. Whether it be due to the ME3, I dont know. I just booked my 6th trip this year on UA and a Z fare was $3500.
*Long live the Widget*

jacobin777

Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 1):
since the ME3 are trashing yields to the Middle East & South Asia,

How come is it when I pulled SFO-DXB flights (on kayak.com) for July, August, September, October, November or December not once did any of the ME-3 come even remotely close as being the cheapest?   
"Up the Irons!"

747megatop

Wed May 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 16):
I'd bet against that. DL leaving this route opens up a huge door for EK to start service,

DL leaving or not leaving this route probably did not and does not matter for EK. DL does not have connections on the DXB end. EK would have started ATL anyways regardless of whether DL stayed in the route or not. This route will take away passengers from the ATL-CDG-South Asia(India in particular) route that DL/AF-KLM operates. Going to hurt Mr Anderson & co. even further.

RJNUT

Wed May 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 18):
How come is it when I pulled SFO-DXB flights (on kayak.com) for July, August, September, October, November or December not once did any of the ME-3 come even remotely close as being the

the "thru" connections onward is where they dump the low fares,. Into their hub at DXB yields remain fairly high .

aaexecplat

Wed May 13, 2015 4:21 pm

How come is it when I pulled SFO-DXB flights (on kayak.com) for July, August, September, October, November or December not once did any of the ME-3 come even remotely close as being the cheapest?   

My experience exactly although in my case from IAH.

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 20):
the "thru" connections onward is where they dump the low fares,. Into their hub at DXB yields remain fairly high .

Nah. That is an old fairy tale. Just check any of their points in the US to SYD for example and you'll see that the US carriers discount far heavier than the ME3. To DXB, AUH, or DOH, they have the highest fares period, and on the onward connections, they are sometimes lower, sometimes higher, but there is ZERO evidence of trashing yields based on my extensive searches.

Let's not confuse 'trashing yields' with 'I want to make higher profits'.

airzim

Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Quoting AAexecplat (Reply 21):

Let's also not confuse selective random internet fare searches with a holistic understanding of the millions of fare products being offered by EK across their network.

DolphinAir747

Wed May 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Quoting mcogator (Reply 13):
Having been on this flight a couple of times different times of the year, it seemed like a large percentage of the passengers were military related heading to/from Afghanistan. Can the subsequent, if true, end of this flight be due to the draw down of operations in Afghanistan?

Do they take EK to KBL from DXB?

G500

Wed May 13, 2015 4:37 pm

I dont know how many passengers would rather fly Delta than Emirates. (I guess those who wanna collect DL miles)

DolphinAir747

Wed May 13, 2015 4:39 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 24):
I dont know how many passengers would rather fly Delta than Emirates. (I guess those who wanna collect DL miles)

US airlines always say that their FFPs are their most valuable assets, especially at major hubs like ATL.

In DL's defense, their business class hard product beats EK's on the 777.

jetblastdubai

Wed May 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 23):
Do they take EK to KBL from DXB?

Contractors can take one of several options to KBL including EK and Flydubai. There are a few other airports in the country that are only reachable by Safi, Griffin or a couple other charters. Some US contractors only take the charters.

jacobin777

Wed May 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Nah. That is an old fairy tale. Just check any of their points in the US to SYD for example and you'll see that the US carriers discount far heavier than the ME3. To DXB, AUH, or DOH, they have the highest fares period, and on the onward connections, they are sometimes lower, sometimes higher, but there is ZERO evidence of trashing yields based on my extensive searches.

That was my general feeling as well.   
"Up the Irons!"

Rdh3e

Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Just check any of their points in the US to SYD for example and you'll see that the US carriers discount far heavier than the ME3.

Having the same fare for a routing that is 40% longer means their yield is trash.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=JFK-SYD,+JFK-LAX-SYD,+JFK-DXB-SYD

This is the most friendly example to your cause, as you move westward in the US your case becomes simply absurd.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=SEA-SYD,+SEA-LAX-SYD,+SEA-DXB-SYD

it's nearly double the distance to go SEA-SYD via DXB than via a US gateway.

[Edited 2015-05-13 10:56:25]

AAIL86

Wed May 13, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting airzim (Reply 22):
Let's also not confuse selective random internet fare searches with a holistic understanding of the millions of fare products being offered by EK across their network.

In my years as a team leader at a large travel management company, all the data and thousands of reports I've ever seen don't indicate EK is especially trying to "trash yields". Like everyone else, they are trying to extract the most from each seat that they can.

(Now, are they getting subsidies? That's a different question from "Are they trashing yields?" . In my experience, for USA point of origin passengers at least, TK is regularly the lowest, especially in the front cabins, if anyone is trashing yields nowadays, I'd say its them)

Quoting g500 (Reply 24):

Economy plus seats? Better biz hard product compared to EK 777? Could be a few reasons.

Quoting avi8tir (Reply 17):

All I know is that fares to DXB are CHEAP this year. Whether it be due to the ME3, I dont know. I just booked my 6th trip this year on UA and a Z fare was $3500.

Oil downturn, perhaps? IAH has a lot more availability this year ...
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason - Benjamim Franklin

Sightseer

Wed May 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Since my post was assuming that DL is in fact dropping DXB (I have no idea of they are or not), I was referring to DL flying somewhere other than DXB. I also wasn't trying to say that the ME3 were acting nefariously (again, I don't know), but that their presence has had a negative financial impact on several airlines. Nothing more, nothing less.

tomcbaker

Wed May 13, 2015 7:42 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 8):
although it could try and market the route to YVR residents and try and feed off its growing hub to boost traffic.

Possible; EK/QX do market connecting service from YVR and YYJ to DXB via SEA. However, I agree with you that I don't see it being too successful. I primarily base this on the fact that passengers flying YVR-overseas via the US is declining in general due to the decline in the CAD and fares from Canada generally being a lot cheaper than fares from/via the US for Canadian passengers.

The phenomenon of Canadians going through the US for cheaper fares isn't a reality anymore and a cursory search on kayak will reveal that it's generally cheaper for people here in YVR to fly overseas from YVR rather than from the US, with a few notable exceptions such as to some destinations in South America where connecting through the US is often required. To Europe, Asia and Africa though, when adjusting for the exchange rate it's mostly cheaper for us now to fly directly out of YVR so I don't think the cross-border traffic to SEA is as big as it used to be.
Tom

tortugamon

Wed May 13, 2015 7:52 pm

Because EK's is non-stop and on the A380 so they can get more for their ticket? Also, QR does not serve SFO so passengers would have to connect in DFW which kind of takes QR out of the picture.

tortugamon

AABB777

Wed May 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Under the open skies policy with Qatar and the UAE, if one of the US3 believes that a fare is too low due to subsidy, they can officially object to the fare and seek consultations. To date, the US3 have never objected to fares offered by the ME3 or sought consultations due to pricing. This should address the issue of 'trash yields'.

airzim

Wed May 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 29):

Quoting airzim (Reply 22):

In my years as a team leader at a large travel management company, all the data and thousands of reports I've ever seen don't indicate EK is especially trying to "trash yields". Like everyone else, they are trying to extract the most from each seat that they can.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not defending the notion of whether EK is "trashing yields" or not. My comment is to say, that arbitrarily looking at published fares off a internet page, or even a GDS is not giving anyone a full and complete picture of a given market or a carrier's success in that market. There's just way too many factors to consider. Not the least of which is EK generally operates in a POS O&D market driven sales model. They also do lots of consolidator and off tariff deals. So that entire segment is opaque to anyone outside Emirates.

But lots of questions;

Did EK (and TK, QR, EY) introduce considerable capacity to markets like Europe-South Asia, Europe-Africa, Europe-SE Asia, Europe-Australia, Australia-New Zealand? Yes.

Did they do this with either massive increase in flights, gauge or aircraft, or both? Both.

Do these operations drive considerable more demand in a market? Possibly.

Have there been demographic population shifts to warrant this increase in service? No.

Are they likely poaching traffic from other incumbent carriers in these markets. Yes.

Does this mean they're trashing yields to generate the traffic to feed the downstream mega network? Maybe?

MaverickM11

Wed May 13, 2015 8:55 pm

2) I'm betting this is tied into the Fair Skies effort. They are either going to stay in the route if they get sanctions and declare victory or they are going to drop it and decry subsidies. They must think Obama will move on the evaluation of the charges by a certain date...or they are hoping.

That would be some serious UA-style strategery there...little leverage, no one on their side, and doubling down on a strategy that ensures self destruction with zero damage to the ME3 
Into their hub at DXB yields remain fairly high .

Just like any hub carrier.
E pur si muove -Galileo

northwestEWR

Thu May 14, 2015 1:15 am

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 11):

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 10):

Doesn't mean it's not possible, probable, or complete conjecture

I am privy to a lot of info at work that this place would die for...I for one won't divulge but it doesn't mean others are as moral, for a lack of a better word

Certain TechOps people may very well know, as third party mx contracts tend to have long cancellation notices so they could be clued in. In addition to airport leases...

I don't want to be rude but if this was happening or being discussed, myself and other members of this forum that work for DL in ATL would have heard something about it. That doesn't mean we go around spouting out company info all day but rumors are fair game.

These forums become pretty boring and without substance if no one from the inside says anything. Most of us are very careful in what we do say.

VictorKilo

Thu May 14, 2015 4:59 pm

I would not be shocked by this move -

Also what will DL do with the spare Triple7's?

Backfill existing capacity and park aircraft with higher variable costs and lower fixed costs.

There are 10 77L's in Delta's fleet. Six of them are required for ATL-NRT-LAX-SYD-LAX-NRT-ATL-JNB-ATL, which is the raison d'etre of the 77L in DL's fleet. ATL-DXB takes two frames (late night departure returning in the early morning two days later - similar to a deep South America rotation). One frame does an ATL-CDG rotation and can be easily replaced, and there is one spare.

DL could find that they would make the most money by withdrawing from ATL-DXB and using those planes on one of the three 744 flights from DTW to Asia - ICN, NRT, and PVG. NRT would make the most sense logistically and would not require any additional positioning flights. DL could then reduce its NRT-Asia capacity by substituting a 76W (cut from Europe) for a 777 on NRT-SIN and take the 777 and replace the 744 now flying NRT-MNL.

There's no sexy exotic locations or trail blazing routes, but it would help their bottom line.

mayor

Thu May 14, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting VictorKilo (Reply 37):

Can TLV be done with a 77E or does it have to be a 77L?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Flyer732

Thu May 14, 2015 5:13 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 38):
Can TLV be done with a 77E or does it have to be a 77L?

It can be done with a 77E, or a 767.

jacobin777

Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 30):

Since my post was assuming that DL is in fact dropping DXB (I have no idea of they are or not), I was referring to DL flying somewhere other than DXB. I also wasn't trying to say that the ME3 were acting nefariously (again, I don't know), but that their presence has had a negative financial impact on several airlines. Nothing more, nothing less.

Competition usually does bring "financial impact". Maybe those carriers were over-charging in the first place? Maybe they have "bloated costs",etc. I don't really know.

My point being is I took the position of the "mom & pop traveler" looking to fly to DXB via Kayak.com and again, under no situations did I find EK or EY have the cheapest tickets-even DL wasn't the cheapest at times.

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 32):

Because EK's is non-stop and on the A380 so they can get more for their ticket?

Possibly-according to EK's Clark, the A380 does generate a good portion of their revenues/profits and pax do prefer the A380.
"Up the Irons!"

enilria

Thu May 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 4):
With his push to get support for the TPP, I doubt this is even on his mind, especially considering the UAE plays a big role in the join coalition against ISIS.
Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 14):
quoting Enilria-They are either going to stay in the route if they get sanctions and declare victory or they are going to drop it and decry subsidies. They must think Obama will move on the evaluation of the charges by a certain date...or they are hoping.

So, I think we have our answer on the ticking clock. AA/DL/UA got language added into the DOT appropriation bill requiring the Obama Administration to rule in 90 days on the charges and state what they will do about it. I think DL waits until then to decide on DXB, but it's hard to say how the wind blows on this in ATL.

I'd bet against that. DL leaving this route opens up a huge door for EK to start service, which, given recent developments, is the last thing DL wants EK to do.

With QR now in ATL it is kind of moot and EK will definitely add it now that QR is in there. DL's flight doesn't stop anything now that QR is there. Plus 25% of DL traffic was connecting onward beyond DXB and now QR will take all of that as an online trumps interline pretty much all the time.

northwestEWR

Fri May 15, 2015 1:13 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 41):
Plus 25% of DL traffic was connecting onward beyond DXB and now QR will take all of that as an online trumps interline pretty much all the time.

Delta won't be interlining with EK if they start DXB and certainly won't be interlining with QR.

If you want to build your own connection--you're completely on your own.

hohd

Fri May 15, 2015 4:40 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 42):

If DL stops interlining in response to EK's start, then DL will lose more as a good amount of passengers connect at DXB. EK will rely on ATL-DXB-XXX traffic and can survive. Soon DL will have to terminate the route.

northwestEWR

Fri May 15, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting hohd (Reply 43):
If DL stops interlining in response to EK's start, then DL will lose more as a good amount of passengers connect at DXB. EK will rely on ATL-DXB-XXX traffic and can survive. Soon DL will have to terminate the route.

Can someone clarify if Delta still interlines with EK at all? I know they don't with TK or QR and thought they had or were about to cut EK and EY.

Falcons023

Fri May 15, 2015 11:04 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 44):
Can someone clarify if Delta still interlines with EK at all? I know they don't with TK or QR and thought they had or were about to cut EK and EY

When i called Delta last year for my trip to India, They gave me a ticket with EK from DXB onwards and same thing back. But not sure if that is called interlining.

enilria

Fri May 15, 2015 11:33 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 44):
Can someone clarify if Delta still interlines with EK at all?

Yes, absolutely they do. I think they are the only USA legacy that hasn't cancelled their interline deal and they haven't because doing so would kill their already weak DXB flight.

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 42):
Delta won't be interlining with EK if they start DXB and certainly won't be interlining with QR.

That's the conundrum isn't it. If EK comes into ATL and DL ends the interline deal they will have a ~40% LF on their DXB flight because they will lose the interline traffic AND they will share the local market with EK. If they don't end it, they will gift EK a ton of connects beyond ATL. This is a great example of the flip side of the argument against the ME3. DL is benefiting now from the interline agreement and it is hurting EK (by taking passengers off their own flights; from points in the USA connecting via ATL), but once the deal is no longer in DL's favor they will surely end it.

MaverickM11

Fri May 15, 2015 11:36 am

Quoting hohd (Reply 43):

I wouldn't be so sure. Quite a lot of DL's DXB traffic goes into smaller stations in the Mid Atlantic and South that EK will never be able to access. EK's flows beyond DXB are generally hyper competitive, but GRK/GSP/XNA/etc-DXB? Not so much...
E pur si muove -Galileo

RJNUT

Fri May 15, 2015 1:19 pm

your response is odd even though i can agree with some of it. SYD is bad example and yes we both agree that fares are higher to DXB, DOH,AUH which is what i responded to with someones's search from SFO-DXB on EK. I hve seen fares at around $1000 to India and the ME..that is thrasing yiuoleds in onyones bookn 1000

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 47):
flows beyond DXB are generally hyper competitive, but GRK/GSP/XNA/etc-DXB? Not so much...

Exactly. the upstream conncections are huge as most of the citeis you listed plus dozens more have no or very little connecvity to the ME3 carriers

aaexecplat

Fri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 48):
your response is odd even though i can agree with some of it. SYD is bad example and yes we both agree that fares are higher to DXB, DOH,AUH which is what i responded to with someones's search from SFO-DXB on EK. I hve seen fares at around $1000 to India and the ME..that is thrasing yiuoleds in onyones bookn 1000

If that is trashing yields, then UA is engaging in it happily as well. Go do some searching....UA is REGULARLY the lowest cost provider of air services from US points of embarkation to India...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos