Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

nitepilot79
Topic Author

Shameless Seating-4 Year Old 11 Rows Away Or Pay

Wed May 13, 2015 4:21 pm

So many airlines are ruthless with their seating policies these days, and obviously DL is no exception. Shameless.

http://gma.yahoo.com/dad-says-assign...-4-210357933--abc-news-travel.html

SonomaFlyer

RE: Shameless Seating-4 Year Old 11 Rows Away Or Pay

Wed May 13, 2015 4:30 pm

I'd like to think the gate agent would've switched the seats easily if the flight wasn't packed as it was claimed. At the same time, some common sense and empowering ticketing agents would be an easy way to avoid layering more regulations on the industry.

I've had similar experiences and in the end given how full most flights I take with my family are, I wind up paying for seat assignments to not deal with a mess at the airport. It would be helpful to know if this guy was given an option for selecting seats at no cost at the time of booking or not.

Mir

Wed May 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Quoting nitepilot79 (Thread starter):
So many airlines are ruthless with their seating policies these days, and obviously DL is no exception. Shameless.

I don't know about being ruthless. They called him to apologize, and I'd expect that they'll refund him the fee he paid and probably give him something else as well. It doesn't seem like they were out to screw him. Mistakes do happen, and when they do they need to be corrected. It appears that they were here.

I do think that if he had gone to the gate and asked the gate agent to switch seats, the agent would have done it with no problem (I've been able to do it several times). I also recall that DL's check-in staff have no ability to make seat changes without charging fees. I'm not sure why that policy was made, but this was an unintended consequence, and it seems like it should be simple enough to correct.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

seabosdca

Wed May 13, 2015 4:43 pm

I agree the airlines should make it a priority to seat minors with family members, especially if they are on the same reservation. Check-in agents should be empowered to do this even if they can't change any other seat assignments.

And... at least he was trying to sit with his daughter. I recently flew SEA-DCA, seated near two kids (probably 7 and 9) who were sitting on their own in coach while both of their parents sat in first class. The parents would come back about every hour to check on them. But in between, they had all sorts of questions and issues, and bugged the unrelated passenger sitting next to them about each one. They were well behaved, but I would have hated to be that passenger, and I think one parent should have been sitting in her seat instead.

LAXtoATL

Wed May 13, 2015 4:57 pm

While it is common decency for any airline to seat parents and small children together, if possible (and I routinely see gate agents asking other passengers if they would switch seats to do just that).

However, parents need to take some responsibility. Don't wait until the day of travel to be outraged you are not sitting next to your small child. You knew when you purchased the ticket that you didn't have seats together, call the airline immediately to resolve this issue. If it wasn't important enough for you to be bothered before you arrived at the airport, then you shouldn't complain the airline didn't treat it as priority. In my experience, the airlines actually put more effort in ensuring parents and children sit together than parents actually do.

citationjet

Wed May 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 4):
Don't wait until the day of travel to be outraged you are not sitting next to your small child.

However sometimes the airlines will sell you a ticket, but not have the ability to give you a seat assignment at the time of booking due to the flight being oversold. For this reason, the family may show up at the gate without a seat assignment. In that case the gate agent should have the ability to switch seats without charging a fee.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

Mir

Wed May 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting CitationJet (Reply 5):
However sometimes the airlines will sell you a ticket, but not have the ability to give you a seat assignment at the time of booking due to the flight being oversold. For this reason, the family may show up at the gate without a seat assignment. In that case the gate agent should have the ability to switch seats without charging a fee.

And they do. The issue here is that the father didn't want to go to the gate and have the possibility of getting the seats changed, and chose to have the certainty of paying the fee since the check-in staff couldn't just change the seats.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

747megatop

Wed May 13, 2015 5:12 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
Mistakes do happen,

Isn't that the reason onsite managers are there for to excercise discretion and make things happen? Isn't that the reason why computers with complex algorithms are there for to prevent it from happening in the first place especially when most airline websites specifically ask the number of children and their ages during the booking process.

blrsea

Wed May 13, 2015 5:14 pm

However, parents need to take some responsibility. Don't wait until the day of travel to be outraged you are not sitting next to your small child. You knew when you purchased the ticket that you didn't have seats together, call the airline immediately to resolve this issue. If it wasn't important enough for you to be bothered before you arrived at the airport, then you shouldn't complain the airline didn't treat it as priority. In my experience, the airlines actually put more effort in ensuring parents and children sit together than parents actually do.

Its not always possible. The airlines blocks many seats and won't open them till the day of travel. I had recently booked some award tickets with my AA miles on AA website for my family including my young son. I had selected flights where one part was on US airways and one part was on AA. I could select seats on AA but not on US.One one leg, it had exactly three middle seats spread across the cabin, and in another leg, it said I couldn't select seats. I called up the reservations number and I told them that US airways seating wasn't allowing me to select seats. She said the same thing as what I found, and I asked her to assign us together as we had a young kid and didn't want him sitting with strangers. I asked her to at least give me two seats together so that the kid can sit with one of the parents. She said even she is seeing those 3 spread across middle seats & assigned them to us. She told me to check with the check-in desk on day of travel & they will help. On the leg where I couldn't select any seats, she told me it will be opened on day of travel and the check-in desk will help me out.

I didn't want to take the risk and changed all my flights to AA so that I could select my seats.

Airlines should allow families with young kids to select seats, either in advance, or have the system seat them together.

All it takes is some child sitting with strangers to accuse them of inappropriate behavior, and the airlines will be sued for millions. Instead, it would be better to allow kids to sit next to at least one parent, if not both.

sspontak

Wed May 13, 2015 5:18 pm

The parent should have taken the advise of the agent and handle it at the gate to save the change fee. This type of seat change happens all the time at the gate. I have been asked many times by the gate agent to change my seat so families can sit together. The agent is always appreciative for help given by fellow passengers in these seat matters. The parent was the one that agreed to pay the extra fee even after the agent advised the parent to handle it at the gate. The parent should take the responsibility for their decision.

aa777lvr

Wed May 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Most airlines, keep a certain percentage of seats "in their pocket" for just this situation. Of course these may be the last row or 2 of the aircraft, but it still gives the gate agents flexibility to move seating for extroardinary circumstances. This is accomplished in the last 10-45 minuntes prior to departure time by the agents working the flight. When issues of families needing to be seated together are rectified, then these seats are released to accomodate the folks unable (or unwilling to pay) for pre-reserved seats. Many airline employees are parents too and completely understand traveling parents' concerns. There's already a system in place.

Our society has become pessimistic and impatient. This guy didn't want to wait for the airline to work out his problem. So he paid extra due to his impatience.

Let's not forget this guy is a blogger (assuming a writer of some sort). It sounds like his article bashing Delta and US airline policy brought him a little publicity. Is he really pushing for a change to the sytem or a little self-promotion. Hmmm....

AA777LVR

blrsea

Wed May 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Quoting sspontak (Reply 9):
The parent was the one that agreed to pay the extra fee even after the agent advised the parent to handle it at the gate. The parent should take the responsibility for their decision.

What will you do if the flight is full? And if someone doesn't want to give up their aisle or window seat for a middle seat? Instead of trying to bother multiple people to move, he went with the option where he was guaranteed the seat.

The check-in agent didn't mention that the flight was not full. if she had done that & told him that the gate agent can easily seat them together, it would have been different.

mats

Wed May 13, 2015 5:35 pm

This happened to my sister and brother-in-law on Air France. My nephew, who was five-years-old, was seated in another cabin of the airplane on a longhaul flight. The Chef de Cabine fixed that with ease. He had clearly done this before.

I have given up my seat many times for families and couples travelling together. Unless there is a compelling reason, I'd rather "take one for the team" and keep a family together. I wouldn't take a middle seat toss out an upgrade, but I'm willing to help others. It just isn't fair to ask a family to cough up a seat assignment fee for each family member.

The current system relies on self-regulation. The airlines make so much revenue from seat assignments that they'll never want to get rid of that fee. So it then becomes a headache for flight attendants, who have the burden of asking people to move around while still getting everyone situated to push back on time.

The simplest solution will be unpopular with the airlines: no seat assignment fees for families travelling with children under a certain age.

I wonder if some of the lost revenue lost will actually make up for itself with happier customers and fewer boarding delays.

CV880

Wed May 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
And they do. The issue here is that the father didn't want to go to the gate and have the possibility of getting the seats changed, and chose to have the certainty of paying the fee since the check-in staff couldn't just change the seats.

People have always been directed to check with the gate agent @ Delta when there are seating issues. Most reasonable issues can be resolved. Sounds like this guy just wanted to make a big deal out of something that most likely could have been taken care of. Back in the old days was nice to give a person a better seat if they would relinquish their seat to accommodate another passenger.

jetblue1965

Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 10):

Let's not forget this guy is a blogger (assuming a writer of some sort). It sounds like his article bashing Delta and US airline policy brought him a little publicity. Is he really pushing for a change to the sytem or a little self-promotion. Hmmm....

Usually the latter. They're pseudo-celebrity-wannabes with a big ego and a thin resume.

drgmobile

Wed May 13, 2015 5:46 pm

This passenger may have been unable to reserve seats in advance for whatever reason but there are others who simply don't want to pay for it. As a passenger who does pay for seat selection, I resent when I am asked to change seats to accommodate others who chose not to deal with this when they bought their ticket.

lesfalls

Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Typical for American carriers to do. Money the better!!!
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

FLY2LIM

Wed May 13, 2015 5:52 pm

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 10):
Our society has become pessimistic and impatient. This guy didn't want to wait for the airline to work out his problem. So he paid extra due to his impatience.

Every time I see these kinds of stories I always ask "what's the catch?" There has to be more to this story.
Yes, airlines nickel and dime passengers and customer service is, quite often, less than desirable. I don't work for the industry. However, I am a parent and have traveled extensively with my two daughters.
Every time I traveled with my offspring, I made sure I was able to reserve a seat. Per the article, they were "visiting grandma" so this was a leisure trip. The fact that he's paying such high fares tells me he may have bought his tickets last minute. Given his status as a blogger, I even question whether or not this was a set up to bash Delta. Just my opinion. The bottom line is that this guy has raised quite a stink because he didn't want to pay the upgrade fee. Here's the deal, folks. When it comes to the safety and comfort of my family, I don't cut corners. I would have paid the fare and taken it as a "lesson learned" for the future. I don't believe the airline did anything wrong or improper. The person responsible for the welfare of the child is the parent. He is, as others have suggested, getting plenty of press for his travel blog. I smell a rotten fish...
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

blrsea

Wed May 13, 2015 6:02 pm

So looks like the consensus is if you want to sit together as a family with young kids, pay more. and that the Airlines insisting on this is right!

I don't blame the blogger, I have faced similar issues (mentioned it earlier too), and I wish it would get more attention. I am happy that the blogger is spreading awareness.

gzbja

Wed May 13, 2015 6:47 pm

I'm not sure how this even happens, is there no children/adult policy with DL? BA policy is children under 12 will be sat with one parent, so a group of 2 children and 2 adults could be split but the children wouldn't be sat by themselves even on seperate bookings. (Obviously the parents will have to inform the check-in agent about the split booking and seat adjustments would be made)

If the plane is full then moving a passenger for an operational reason is applied.

As for seperate classes well that's the adults responsibility and most expect the child to be upgraded which isn't always the case and in my days in check-in I can't remember a child being upgraded for free to sit with a parent.

SocalApproach

Wed May 13, 2015 6:52 pm

Deal with this crap all the time. I will be standing at the gate for a straight hour or more only to have a family come up during final boarding to say oh "by the way, we are not sitting together". Good Luck sir is my response everyone has already been accommodated. No way I am playing musical chairs on a single aisle aircraft because they are not responsible enough to declare the seating issues before boarding started much worse how about at the ticket counter? I will add my airline is very good about getting groups together but if you are all on separate reservations how are we supposed to know you are traveling together?

blueflyer

Wed May 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 18):
So looks like the consensus is if you want to sit together as a family with young kids, pay more.

I don't like airlines' nickel-and-diming and I think customer service is at abysmal levels (I blame both staff and policy), but I see no reason why a family with young children should by their nature be exempt from fees charged other customers. For everyone buying air travel but the tiniest percentage, traveling by air is a choice, not a necessity.

blrsea

Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 21):
ut I see no reason why a family with young children should by their nature be exempt from fees charged other customers

I am not saying that everyone in family needs to sit together. Let at least one parent/guardian & minor kid sit together. Its for both the child's safety and also airlines.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 21):
For everyone buying air travel but the tiniest percentage, traveling by air is a choice, not a necessity.

How do you distinguish between those travelling by choice or necessity in letting kids sit together with a parent?

Quoting SocalApproach (Reply 20):
Deal with this crap all the time. I will be standing at the gate for a straight hour or more only to have a family come up during final boarding to say oh "by the way, we are not sitting together".

Thats why I wish airlines would make a change to allow kids sit together with at least one parent. BA already does this. When I was booking tickets on BA, I had to book separate tickets for myself and my wife & kid, as they were returning back on a different date, though we were travelling together in one direction. The BA website recognized that my wife was travelling with a young kid and allowed me to select seats for them. For me, I couldn't select seats till 24 hours before departure. Fair enough, and didn't have any complaints.

It bothers me when US airways isn't willing to offer it even when I called & inquired.

Flymichael21

Wed May 13, 2015 7:55 pm

Lol at this story.

I personally would have given them the seat, especially if no one would have been sitting there during the flight. But the parent should understand they need to select seats when they buy the ticket (if possible), or call Delta to have them put together, before the day of the departure at the gate. I do know Delta blocks certain rows on aircraft specifically for this reason, but at the last minute at the gate, they very well may not be available, as in this situation.

My opinion.

-Flymichael21

airlineecon

Wed May 13, 2015 8:35 pm

This story doesn't add up. The $88 is the up charge for either a super-sized economy or first class seat. Of course it costs extra. Anyone sitting there has to pay the difference and shouldn't expect a freebie. 11 year old children can handle their own these days without daddy.

This would be a different story if a parent were separated from an infant.

JDFLYVC10

Wed May 13, 2015 9:41 pm

Quoting airlineecon (Reply 24):
This story doesn't add up

Of couse it doesn't... Because it's written for the web by some YAHOO that has NO IDEA how the airline industry operates.
Us "A.net" peeps know a hell of a lot more then AVIANNE TAN will ever come to know.

Peace...
JD is OUT!
A Day Without Sunshine Is Like....NIGHT!

ikramerica

Wed May 13, 2015 10:24 pm

I've never found DL the most accommodating airline, but if you call them right after you book they will put you and your child together in blocked out seats. It will be the back middle of the 777/ 767, an area they term the family area, or the middle of the mds or the other single aisle. That's my experience when the seat map showed random middles available despite booking 3 weeks out.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ssteve

Wed May 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Quoting Flymichael21 (Reply 23):
I personally would have given them the seat, especially if no one would have been sitting there during the flight. But the parent should understand they need to select seats when they buy the ticket (if possible), or call Delta to have them put together, before the day of the departure at the gate.

Are you supposed to call ahead? I've gotten unassigned seats (after paying, of course), and it's not suggested that you do anything other than wait for checkin, when they do the usual upgrade musical chairs.

antoniemey

Wed May 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 11):
The check-in agent didn't mention that the flight was not full. if she had done that & told him that the gate agent can easily seat them together, it would have been different.

How do you know this with certainty? Were you there for the conversation? I know that when I work the counter and people need seated together, I will tell them how full the flight is and whether or not I can handle it at the counter or if it has to be taken care of at the gate. Actually, usually it's something like "Well, that flight's not too full, so it shouldin't be a problem, let me see what I can do." or "It is a very full flight today, but I have a couple of seats available together." or "There are seats available together, but not ones I can assign from here without charging a fee. It's not too full of a flight, so they'll be able to take care of that for you at the gate, just see the agent as soon as you get there."

The agent in this case may or may not have said anything like that, but I wouldn't assume based on his quote in the article that they didn't. I've seen far too many cases of passengers conveniently leaving out or misrepresenting agent's statements to make their story more sympathetic after the fact.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

fxramper

Wed May 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Thousands of flyers book their trips in advance enough and pay the fees to secure their children are safely sitting next to them. I find no fault in Delta's policy. There are two sides to every story. This thread is no different than any other on this site. Eg. autistic girl diversion.

blueflyer

Wed May 13, 2015 10:58 pm

Quoting blrsea (Reply 22):
Let at least one parent/guardian & minor kid sit together. Its for both the child's safety and also airlines.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. If any two passengers want the (near) certainty to be sitting together and the only available seats carry an extra cost, they should pay the fee. If paying the fee isn't an option because the plane is nearly full, trying to sort it out at the airport is the next best step, with the understanding that results are not guaranteed. If that isn't enough for the traveling public, see my next reply below.

(for the sake of clarity, let me add I do believe seat assignment should be free always, but since there is a cost, I don't think having children of any age is enough to get a waiver; for that attitude, blame the Duggar-like family clans abusing pre-boarding privileges)

Quoting blrsea (Reply 22):
How do you distinguish between those travelling by choice or necessity in letting kids sit together with a parent?

The point I was trying to make perhaps too succinctly is that consumers have a choice. If airlines don't meet their needs, they can choose alternate modes of travel, or they can choose not to travel. They can ask for the airlines to change their policies, they can try and bring pressure to effect that change, but they are not entitled to whatever change they are advocating for.

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed May 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
I do think that if he had gone to the gate and asked the gate agent to switch seats, the agent would have done it with no problem (I've been able to do it several times). I also recall that DL's check-in staff have no ability to make seat changes without charging fees. I'm not sure why that policy was made, but this was an unintended consequence, and it seems like it should be simple enough to correct.

You can but it jsut depends. Most of the seats are blocked off even for the check-in counter and the only way to make those seats available are to unblock them with a performance leader or manager sine or "taking control" (gate control) of the flight from out front and assigning the seats then releasing control (HUGE NO NO).

It's not always like that. For one, I couldn't tell you how many times i've seen where I purchse two seats together a month out and days from departure I was "reaccomidated" (no a/c change) and now i'm rows away from who I bought seats from. I've worked DL front line above with ACS so i've seen it from that side of the podium too.

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 27):
Are you supposed to call ahead? I've gotten unassigned seats (after paying, of course), and it's not suggested that you do anything other than wait for checkin, when they do the usual upgrade musical chairs.

You're not obligated to but it's generally a good idea. RES is usually pretty good with accomodating if the situation is valid, otherwise they will advise you that you will ahve to get seats on day of departure.
What gets measured gets done.

acws777

Wed May 13, 2015 11:24 pm

Quoting airlineecon (Reply 24):

Especially when he tweeted about the incident on April 18 but his flight was on April 23???

lpdal

Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm confused, why didn't the guy just assign his seats at checkout? I've never had to pay a fee to any legacy airline for assigning seats...

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

mayor

Thu May 14, 2015 12:06 am

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 16):
Typical for American carriers to do. Money the better!!!

Not typical.......if you ask most gate agents, you'll find that most of them either reassign the seats or find some other solution.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

aerorobnz

Thu May 14, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting mats (Reply 12):
It just isn't fair to ask a family to cough up a seat assignment fee for each family member.

Everyone else on the plane has to pay, I don't feel exemptions will help anyone ultimately. I would be pissed if I had paid for my window seat in advance and I was asked to move for someone who didn't play the game and pay for an assignment.
However, I think an adiult seat assignment and a children's seat assignment in line with the fare rate is acceptable or indeed a family seat select choice which is a discounted flat rate for 2 adults two children (like a family pass at disney).
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

aloha73g

Thu May 14, 2015 12:16 am

I have witnessed gate agents on DL, AS, HA, UA and AA go above and beyond swapping passenger seats on full and even oversold flights to seat families together (talk about musical chairs). I even saw an Aloha F/A coordinate moving 10+ passengers on a 737 so a family could sit together on a mainland-HNL flight. I usually park myself near to podium to observe the pre-flight shenanigans gate agents are dealing with. I've always been impressed since they sometimes involve multiple passengers swapping seats to get families together.

If this flight wasn't full (as the article states) I'm sure the gate agent could have easily accommodated the change at the gate. In all honesty I'm not sure this is deserving of a news story, or a "Passenger Bill of Rights."

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

N1120A

Thu May 14, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 33):
I'm confused, why didn't the guy just assign his seats at checkout? I've never had to pay a fee to any legacy airline for assigning seats...

Airlines typically block a significant number of seats at booking for non-elites. While United and American will show me every available seat in both Economy/Main Cabin and E+/MCE, non-elites will be shown a tiny fraction of what is available in E-/MC- and encouraged to buy up or play seat roulette.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

yyz717

Thu May 14, 2015 2:23 am

However, parents need to take some responsibility. Don't wait until the day of travel to be outraged you are not sitting next to your small child.

Well said. The airline employees are not social workers.

This is a parental issue, not an airline issue.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

lpdal

Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 37):
Airlines typically block a significant number of seats at booking for non-elites. While United and American will show me every available seat in both Economy/Main Cabin and E+/MCE, non-elites will be shown a tiny fraction of what is available in E-/MC- and encouraged to buy up or play seat roulette.

I always am up in F, and so that must be why I've never seen what you're talking about, usually the whole F cabin is up for grabs. That also must explain why I'm not charged seat assignment fees, either. Thanks for the explanation.

In any event, it seems this dude was trying to save a buck by not paying the fees, and he got the fruits of his efforts culminating in this "incident".

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

mayor

Thu May 14, 2015 2:50 am

This wasn't a seat assignment fee........from what I've read about this incident, today, is that it was an upgrade fee for Economy Comfort seating which was the only thing left open. As usual, the media, being ignorant of these things and Papa blogger, who left out a few specific, important details, were able to make DL look like the bad guys, here.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

lpdal

Thu May 14, 2015 2:56 am

With these alarmist blog stories, it's always the same thing:

-Puppies, grandma, little kids, babies, terminal cancer patients, wounded veterans, or other such "sensitive" objects.
-The airlines are out to screw us all
-United/Alaska/Delta/JetBlue/Frontier refused to give me XYZ for free despite the fact that my four year old kid was with me/I fought overseas/I have terminal cancer therefore I contacted the media

It's the same old tired garble with these travel "experts", just "cute object harm" clickbait to gain views.

-LPDAL

antoniemey

Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 41):
It's the same old tired garble

It's amazing how many people travel to funerals and weddings and plan o arrive half an hour before the service...   
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

AMALH747430

Thu May 14, 2015 3:24 am

I had a UA gate agent at IAD call me up to the podium and ask me to switch so that a family could sit together on a flight to MUC a couple of years ago. I kindly obliged. I think they do their best to accommodate in these situations. Folks are not proactive enough in these situations. Call the airline in advance and let them know what your issue is. Don't show up at he airport and expect an overworked agent at an understaffed airport to fix it at the 11th hour.

[Edited 2015-05-13 20:29:14]

N1120A

Thu May 14, 2015 3:54 am

It is amazing how people just don't understand that some things really do need to come before the almighty dollar.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 39):
I always am up in F, and so that must be why I've never seen what you're talking about, usually the whole F cabin is up for grabs.

Congratulations. I guess that means you really can't speak on the topic, or just aren't paying attention.

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 39):
In any event, it seems this dude was trying to save a buck by not paying the fees, and he got the fruits of his efforts culminating in this "incident".

Where does it say that families should pay a fee to sit together?

Quoting AMALH747430 (Reply 43):
Call the airline in advance and let them know what your issue is.

You assume that won't do the following:

1) Incur a phone booking fee.

2) Result in an agent who is empowered to do anything, other than charge for something.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AMALH747430

Thu May 14, 2015 4:07 am

I've booked tickets on UA & AA's websites then called them later later down the road when an issue has come up. I've never been charged for having a reservation agent help me.

PA110

Thu May 14, 2015 4:25 am

I recently returned from a trip to South America on UA. As a big guy, I had specifically paid extra for E+ aisle seating. On each leg the 4 legs, passengers without pre-reserved seat assignments were ultimately given the unwanted middle seats in the E+ section. Families were broken up into middle seats one behind the other. Because passengers had paid extra to have aisle or window seats, very few were willing to give up their paid seat. Airlines in their greed have created a situation where there is a disincentive to help out families. Given how incredibly dysfunctional UA is, I doubt they even have a cache of seats set aside to resolve family seating issues. On each of the four legs flown, this was a disruptive issue, leaving paid seat holders resentful or split up families upset. Either way, it ended up with ill-will towards the airline.

[Edited 2015-05-13 21:29:02]
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

A332DTW

Thu May 14, 2015 4:29 am

About 2 years ago I was on a flight, DTW-ATL, with not a seat open. Seated next to me was a child, couldn't have been older than 10 years. I was seated in a row immediately behind Economy Comfort. I asked the kid if he was traveling alone and he said his parents were seated in the back, a couple rows in front of the last row. I walked back and asked the parents if one of them wanted to trade seats, and the father couldn't have been more grateful. He said he was about to ask the flight attendant if something could be done right before I walked over. I spent the next hour and half next to a loud JT8D, but the kid was seated next to his dad instead of some stranger and that's what mattered. His mother was very talkative though, I'll say that.

You don't always have to wait for one of the employees to resolve something. It just takes some common sense and decency.

eastalt

Thu May 14, 2015 4:32 am

I do not believe this story. THIS is a lie pure and simple. The Flight Crew would have fixed it before the door closed. Everyone, please stop and think. I have been flying for a long time and I have never seen this happen. There is no reason for more regulation. It sounds to me he was accountable for what happen.

PA110

Thu May 14, 2015 4:37 am

Quoting eastalt (Reply 48):
THIS is a lie pure and simple.

You're a little sure of yourself Sparky. Like I just posted a moment ago, I saw this occur on 4 out of 4 flights only 3 weeks ago. Best not be so quick to rush to a conclusion.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos