Topic Author

RE: F9 CEO Resigns

Thu May 14, 2015 8:35 am

Here is the Denver Post link (no subscription necessary):

http://www.denverpost.com/business/c...siegel-is-out-at-frontier-airlines

airportugal310

Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 am

Yawn...they part with some extremely smart people at the upper management level. I don't know anything about Siegle (nothing a Google search couldn't fix) but I've had the pleasure of working with one of their ex CEOs, and he is one of the most thorough, exacting, and "in-touch" people I've ever met.

Seems to me the Board is the issue with that airline

Just my worthless $0.02
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

jfklganyc

Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 am

2 man management team??

This is a rudderless disaster waiting to happen.

bennett123

Thu May 14, 2015 10:42 am

Up to now, there was a President, Chairman and CEO. Now that drops to 2 posts.

If they can continue with only 2, why did they need 3 before.

It sounds as if the Chairman is going to absorb most of the CEO role.

Flighty

Thu May 14, 2015 11:28 am

Siegel is a polished guy but we can't say he has a stunning record of success.

" just days after a government report showed the small Denver-based discounter ranked last among U.S. carriers in on-time performance and customer complaints."

Oh. That sounds like another airline Siegel used to be CEO of, US Airways. Maybe he loves a challenge? Or maybe this indicates something worse?

strfyr51

Thu May 14, 2015 11:55 am

It might indicate they're cleaning up their act. Y'think? Just like you have to work to be the TOP?
You also have to work to be the Bottom. And that comes from Leadership.

LAXintl

Thu May 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Mr. Siegel termed his departure for "personal reasons"

Why does it have to be anything else?
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Moose135

Thu May 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 7):
Mr. Siegel termed his departure for "personal reasons"

Why does it have to be anything else?

It's almost always announced as being "for personal reasons" or to "pursue other opportunities" or words to that effect.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

LAXintl

Thu May 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 8):
It's almost always announced as being "for personal reasons" or to "pursue other opportunities" or words to that effect.

And 9 out of 10 times that is the reason.

I left an executive position at an airline because I got tired of commuting half way across the country and result being away from my family too much. That is a "personal reason".

I left another job after being chased by headhunter to lead another organization. That is "pursue other opportunities".

I'm not sure why people like to read more into things when there usually is nothing there. Be it the janitor or the CEO they all have the same human issues.

Mr. Siegel has a long history in both airlines and outside airline sector and tends not to be stick around for more than 2-3 years. Usually he is given a specific marching instructions completes those and moves on.

As article below from 2012 states he was tasked with a very narrow and specific mission by Republic when he was hired.

David Siegel began as CEO of Frontier Airlines in January, and moved executives of the Denver-hubbed airline back to the Mile High City for the first time since Indianapolis-based Republic Airways Holdings Inc. bought the company out of bankruptcy in 2009. He was given two directives: Make Frontier profitable, and get the airline ready to be sold or spun off as an independent company.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/pr...o-watch-david-siegel.html?page=all

He clearly accomplished both, and now can move onto other life adventures.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Moose135

Thu May 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):
I'm not sure why people like to read more into things when there usually is nothing there

There may be nothing there, but I've seen too many instances (from the inside) where someone is "nudged" out the door, but everyone puts on a happy face and the "personal reasons" memo/press release goes out to avoid stirring things up any further.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

DCAfan

Thu May 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I hope they hire a CEO who is willing to publish a timetable. I wouldn't mind trying F9 out of IAD but I have no idea where they fly.

illinoisman

Fri May 15, 2015 12:30 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 4):
Up to now, there was a President, Chairman and CEO. Now that drops to 2 posts.

The new dynamic duo left don't sound as though they've learned much of a lesson from this fiasco, however, giving me little hope they'll see the advantage of superior customer service that breeds strong loyalty versus the phony ULCC routine that gives you less and tries to label it great. And in many cases it's not even a "ultra low cost airline" since UA and WN are still less expensive if you like to travel with luggage.

zotan

Fri May 15, 2015 1:18 am

Quoting illinoisman (Reply 12):
The new dynamic duo left don't sound as though they've learned much of a lesson from this fiasco, however, giving me little hope they'll see the advantage of superior customer service that breeds strong loyalty versus the phony ULCC routine that gives you less and tries to label it great. And in many cases it's not even a "ultra low cost airline" since UA and WN are still less expensive if you like to travel with luggage.

Their Chairman, Bill Franke, is one of the most experienced and successful airline owner's the industry has ever seen. Frontier will be just fine.

bhmdiversion

Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 am

For what it's worth... at least it's not Menke back into the mix... Bankrupt two airlines, and now makes $1 million complete salary... Ridiculous.

mariner

Fri May 15, 2015 10:02 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 9):
As article below from 2012 states he was tasked with a very narrow and specific mission by Republic when he was hired.

Siegel was always "on loan" to Frontier from his usual paymasters, Texas Pacific Group - TPG.

TPG's holding in Midwest gave them a big bunch of shares in Republic and two seats on the Republic Board of Directors. Siegel was one of those two.

TPG agreed to him running Frontier under the terms you have described - to make the airline profitable and attractive to a buyer - which he did.

He's not popular with airline people because he's long been a hatchet man, a ruthless cost cutter, but in the case of Frontier he saved the airline from almost certain extinction.

I assume TPG will have another job for him at another of their many companies, but Siegel is quite wealthy and may prefer to take a break for a while.

I wish him well.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Byrdluvs747

Fri May 15, 2015 10:55 am

I will always remember him for his "They're coming to kill us" speech to US employees when WN was about to start PHL service.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos