SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

YVR 2057 Survey

Fri May 15, 2015 10:36 am

Quite interesting I find! Vancouver International Airport has put on line this web site where you, me or anyone can express their vision for the airport's development over the next 40 years, that is 20 years beyond YVR's current masterplan.

I'm not sure how much of the feed back will actually be considered, but I like the idea of involving the community at large and passengers transiting through it.

http://yvr2057.ca/

http://www.yvr.ca/en/flight-informat..._for_future_land_use_planning.aspx

Miami

RE: YVR 2057 Survey

Fri May 15, 2015 11:11 am

Interesting but 2057 is a long time from now..

I like the idea though.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 1):
Interesting but 2057 is a long time from now..

I guess this is what's behind that. I like the example he gives about the north runway.

http://youtu.be/GoGo0VRyxdQ?t=53m21s

[Edited 2015-05-16 13:09:54]

VCEflyboy

Sat May 16, 2015 8:48 pm

I assume the people behind this are the same people who couldnt get the simple bus card to work after 2 years and millions of dollars spent - a technology that has been in use for 20 years in lots of other cities around the world with much larger populations and more complex transport systems.

Allee

Sat May 16, 2015 8:54 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 3):

I'm sure Translink would be well run if YVRAA was in charge of it

YVRLTN

Sun May 17, 2015 5:15 am

I have not got past question 1:

What is your vision for the future 40 years from now? For example, what are your community and business like? How do you connect to the rest of the world?

There is no way to answer this, I have no idea what my business will be doing at the end of this year let alone several decades from now and the majority of working people with valuable insight will be retired or dead by then. My community is in the UK and it is very well connected already.

Right now, all of my needs are covered via YYZ, LHR, LAX & IAH. I dont expect a direct flight to everywhere I need to go.

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 3):

I assume the people behind this are the same people who couldnt get the simple bus card to work after 2 years and millions of dollars spent - a technology that has been in use for 20 years in lots of other cities around the world with much larger populations and more complex transport systems.

Yep - though the Canada Line implementation was pretty flawless and ahead of schedule.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

ankaraflyjet

Sun May 17, 2015 6:21 am

It is always good to set a target and YVR is doing a great job developing a perspective.

On a related matter TK is pressing hard to introduce YVR IST and I hope this gets a green light from the Canadian Government, will add a great deal to YVR as currenlty MUC is the most Eastern route flown non-stop from YVR by LH and nothing East of that ever flown. Since AC and TK are both *A this will do great business for IST and beyond...

threepoint

Sun May 17, 2015 2:22 pm

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 6):
TK is pressing hard to introduce YVR IST

This would be the most influential single-route addition that could occur at YVR, in my opinion. I hope it happens. Our Star options across the Atlantic are in need of improvement.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

YXXMIKE

Sun May 17, 2015 3:26 pm

I will certainly say that YVR is probably my favourite airport in the world (though I am liking LHR T2 these days) but it is quite frustrating to watch how much they continue to charge in Airport Improvement Fee's (AIF's) or what Canadian airports like to call crack! 2057 is quite far away and given that YVR isn't a LHR/JFK/HKG etc. I do wonder why they would even consider another runway; the airport is 24/7, and though there are a number of smaller airports in the area there isn't the airspace constraints of a NYC or LON airport.

I do believe to a certain extent that long terms thinking is critical to any business there has to be some questions asked to whether this is a good use of money...Though you may think that my favourite airport statement contradicts what I said but I do wonder how much money needs to be spent on an airport which I suspect isn't anywhere near capacity right now.

Just my two cents.

YVRLTN

Sun May 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 8):
I do wonder why they would even consider another runway; the airport is 24/7, and though there are a number of smaller airports in the area there isn't the airspace constraints of a NYC or LON airport.

I do believe to a certain extent that long terms thinking is critical to any business there has to be some questions asked to whether this is a good use of money...Though you may think that my favourite airport statement contradicts what I said but I do wonder how much money needs to be spent on an airport which I suspect isn't anywhere near capacity right now.

I was going to post something like this too. There are 3 peaks a day where there can be up to 15 aircraft in line for take off. I dont see why during these times they cant use 26R/08L for departures from the D & E gates, at least the narrowbodies. Saves taxying around the whole airport too. And I am sure they can find a way to reimplement the cross runway for the medevacs & south side traffic like they used to. Outside of those peaks, there can be significant quiet periods with nothing happening, particularly in winter.

Quoting threepoint (Reply 7):
Our Star options across the Atlantic are in need of improvement.

One stop through YYZ, YUL, ORD, EWR, FRA, MUC or LHR seem OK?
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

VCEflyboy

Sun May 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Personally I am skeptical they give a damn about what people think.
More likely they have some hidden agenda. This happens all the time.
Recently there has been this transport ballot that was along the same lines: in 20 years there'll be 1 million more commuters and therefore we must invest a trillion dollars today or everyone will go postal.

ankaraflyjet

Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Quoting threepoint (Reply 7):

TK representatives met with YVR officials and expressed their interest to start direct flights but the bilateral does not permit at the moment to do this by TK. It is at Canadian regulators to approve if they elect to do so. Of course TK will be a great addition to YVR and Turkey is opening a Consulate General in Vancouver later this year so this will give quite a boost to relations and will be good for both Turkey and Canada.

VCEflyboy

Tue May 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Really looking forward to that but would not hold my breath.
Unfortunately the matter has nothing to do with either Turkey or Canada.
It is all up to LH/AC and whether they are willing to share the pie with TK, which so far seems unlikely.

ankaraflyjet

Tue May 19, 2015 11:35 pm

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 12):

Well TK is *A and codeshares Turkey North America sector with AC on both AC operated and TK operated flights. AC also codeshares a lot of TK flights from IST onward to ME, NA and CIS region. So AC TK JV is not to be underestimated.....I am quite positive this will happen in the next 18 months, LH cannot veto a AC TK joint operation

VCEflyboy

Tue May 19, 2015 11:47 pm

*A is a marketing alliance. TK is not part of the commercial LH/AC/UA transatlantic JV that governs their transatlantic operations.

In Canada in particular, bilateral agreements are based mainly on O&D figures, and O&D between YVR and IST is not massive I am afraid, hence I remain pessimistic.

ankaraflyjet

Wed May 20, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting VCEflyboy (Reply 14):

Find attached the numbers for North America Turkey, I believe with enormous potentail by TK to Iran, ME and India etc. 3 weekly to strat with will work great...

YXXMIKE

Wed May 20, 2015 9:59 am

Though TK would be a nice bird to see at YVR I genuinely can't see where the demand that isn't already being serviced by any of the carriers above. It is possible to fly one stop to the Middle East, CIS and India all from YVR via LHR/AMS/FRA etc. These aren't carriers which are bringing in premium heavy aircraft into YVR either and though they have been operating these routes for years I don't believe there is enough traffic for an additional 777 operator

The only thing that TK would be doing is just skimming customers from loyal YVR customers such as AC/LH/BA/KL/CX etc. and to be quite frank; given TK's recent safety record I don't want them flying into YVR until they have at least a few years without bending another plane.

ankaraflyjet

Wed May 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting YXXMIKE (Reply 16):

TK's safety record is not any different than AC or it's other global competitors actually. It is selected as the best airline in Europe for 6 years in a row now. It's economy class product also is high on the list as well as its business class.

Also I think there is room for another 777 from YVR to Europe and the only airline growing in Europe is TK, I am sure we will see this happen in the next 18 months and TK will give hard time to its competitors too mainly BA and KL and LH but not AC. AC will benefit from this as TK will use AC flights from YVR to Calgary, Honolulu, Seattle, Portland and several other West coast destinations served from YVR by AC.

Just wait for a while, it will happen.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos