Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skinny
Topic Author

Emirates Passenger Jet 'aborts' Landing BHX

Fri May 15, 2015 11:12 am

Miami

RE: Emirates Passenger Jet 'aborts' Landing BHX

Fri May 15, 2015 11:18 am

Looks very close. Scary situation if that EK 777 or ATC didn't see/notice the small plane.

BHX should consider a 2nd runway for private/small aircraft.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

[email protected]

Fri May 15, 2015 11:21 am

I was there with my 5-year-old and 1-year-old (it was a pleasantly warm day) and it was nowhere near as dramatic as it looks. Just a normal go around given an active runway.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

bthebest

Fri May 15, 2015 11:27 am

Looks like either a runway infringement, or the Metroliner was unable to expedite it's departure as planned. could have had a technical problem or otherwise that wasn't relayed to ATC quick enough for timely instructions to EK.

Quoting Miami (Reply 1):
BHX should consider a 2nd runway for private/small aircraft.

Metroliner's not particularly small considering most traffic at BHX, EK 777 is actually the exception. BHX copes fine the rest of the time.

zeke

Fri May 15, 2015 11:37 am

Quoting skinny (Thread starter):
Actually this does look quite close woops.

The metro would have been airborne before the 777 landed.

The most accurate part of this is calling a metro (SA227) an abortion.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

peterinlisbon

Fri May 15, 2015 11:46 am

This is a completely normal and everyday event. Go arounds happen every day at all major airports. It happens every time a landing aircraft takes too long to vacate the runway or takes too long to take off.

You can tell the person who wrote the article has no idea what he's talking about when he says that the aircraft landed harder because of the go around because it "came in at a different angle". What???? Why on earth would they do that?

aerdingus

Fri May 15, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 5):
You can tell the person who wrote the article has no idea what he's talking about when he says that the aircraft landed harder because of the go around because it "came in at a different angle". What???? Why on earth would they do that?

Also he is not aware of the word "taxi" ..."the small plane WHEELED onto the runway"...like I know it's a Metro but it's a bit more powerful than an average trolley or wheelbarrow being wheeled somewhere....Daily Mail never fails to make me cringe.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

Q

Fri May 15, 2015 11:55 am

It happened me before I was on Southwest 737-700 into MDW and I saw the B-1900 went into our landing runway. I say go around go around! Passengers confused. LOL I'm glad SWA pilot did push throttle go around and turn right circle one more time landing same runway. It landed. I told pilot I saw small plane what happen? Pilot says struggled and walked away. LOL He seems doesn't care about what happen. LOL

Q

Heavierthanair

Fri May 15, 2015 11:59 am

G´day

Well the Metro was clearly airborne well before the 777 could have landed.

I guess the issue here is wake turbulence if the 777 lands so close after the metroliner departure ....

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

jetwet1

Fri May 15, 2015 12:26 pm

This is a completely normal and everyday event. Go arounds happen every day at all major airports. It happens every time a landing aircraft takes too long to vacate the runway or takes too long to take off.

Exactly

My thoughts as well.

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 8):
I guess the issue here is wake turbulence if the 777 lands so close after the metroliner departure ....

LMAO, quote of the day.

Now to me this famous go around was a lot lower and closer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmqy6UObLo

scbriml

Fri May 15, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 1):
Looks very close.

Sorry, but that's nowhere near "close". I'm pretty sure the Metro would have been airborne in time anyway.

It is.

Well, it is the Daily Fail.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

817Dreamliiner

Fri May 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Did anyone else notice the fail in that article? The fact that the video is titled: Moment Airbus aborts landing due to smaller plane on the runway...

At least dailymail got the company name right at the end...

[Edited 2015-05-15 06:01:53]
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

dubaiamman243

Fri May 15, 2015 2:17 pm

I find it a normal video
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

slinky09

Fri May 15, 2015 2:44 pm

What over sensationalised crap, full of spelling mistakes, calls it a Boeing and an Airbus, and that it was "believed" to have come from Dubai (when about 10 s of Google searching would have told the intern it did indeed). Another nail in the coffin for the British tabloid press, but then it is the Daily Heil.

as739x

Fri May 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Dear News papers and any other press. Please stop talking about aviation, cause you stink at it!!!!

This was about at close as 2 go-arounds I saw on my double shift at SFO yesterday. Completely normal and not news worth in the least.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Clipper101

Fri May 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Quoting skinny (Thread starter):

Poor guy, is it that much deep Emirates has gone under your skin   

LHRResident91

Fri May 15, 2015 7:00 pm

This made me laugh. It's the only thing you can do, when you read rubbish like this.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri May 15, 2015 7:00 pm

It looks close because the 77W looks huge compared to the Metroliner. At 0:25 of the video, the propliner is passing the touch down point of the runway and three seconds later its nose is pointing skyward. So nothing that special or 'close' happened at BHX that day.

ScottishDavie

Fri May 15, 2015 7:03 pm

This is par for the course with the Daily Mail. Every time there is a bit of a breeze they come up with videos of aircraft crabbing on approach (often at LBA for some reason) and post hysterical headlines about pilots "struggling for control", passengers "screaming in terror" on the "flight from hell" and all sorts of similar rubbish. Nothing about aviation in the Daily Mail should ever, ever be taken seriously.

[Edited 2015-05-15 12:05:01]

Miami

Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting dubaiamman243 (Reply 12):

There's a video? Hmm. I didn't know that. I just a saw a picture and made my opinion on what I saw.

Will look into it.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

pilotanthony

Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 pm

the Emirates crew made the correct decision to abort the landing.

What if the Metroliner had to make a RTO the emirates crew would have already committed to land and that would not have turned out well.

Safety First.

G´day

Well the Metro was clearly airborne well before the 777 could have landed.
Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
Anthony Paraschou

NYPECO

Sat May 16, 2015 3:10 am

This was completely normal. Why did it even make news?

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):

The 777 started the go-around before the Metroliner was in the air. Once you start the go-around, you can't change your mind and decide to land again.

tb727

Sat May 16, 2015 3:31 am

Quoting Q (Reply 7):
It happened me before I was on Southwest 737-700 into MDW and I saw the B-1900 went into our landing runway. I say go around go around! Passengers confused.

How could you see that from the back?
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

My16sidedoffice

Sat May 16, 2015 3:45 am

Not exactly newsworthy at all.

a36001

Sat May 16, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting pilotanthony (Reply 20):

Absolutely agree! If the metro had of had to stop their take off roll and the 777 continued with their landing we would of had a rather nasty crash! Well done to pilots of all airlines for putting safety first.. 

rsrik

Sat May 16, 2015 5:34 am

What an unskilled journalist ... John Hutchison ....

"Astonishing footage has revealed ..."
"The huge passenger jet is believed to have flown in from Dubai.."
"'That's just too close,' says a lady before cries of 'oh my God' are heard"
"Due to the unscheduled go around, it seems the plane was forced to make a harder landing"
"MailOnline have also contacted Emirates for comment"

He is as utterly clueless as the *onlookers* he has happily quoted across the article.

Mir

Sat May 16, 2015 5:42 am

What if the Metroliner had to make a RTO the emirates crew would have already committed to land and that would not have turned out well.

The crew wouldn't have gotten a landing clearance until the Metroliner was off the runway, so they'd have gone around anyway, just done it a little bit later. You're not committed to land until you're on the ground with the reversers deployed.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Whiteguy

Sat May 16, 2015 6:22 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 26):

The crew wouldn't have gotten a landing clearance until the Metroliner was off the runway, so they'd have gone around anyway, just done it a little bit later. You're not committed to land until you're on the ground with the reversers deployed.

-Mir

Not nessessarily, they could've already been cleared to land before the Metro even started rolling...

Silver1SWA

Sat May 16, 2015 6:30 am

I see this happen every single day while working at the airport. That was a normal go-around, far from a "close call."
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

migair54

Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 am

Quoting rsrik (Reply 25):
What an unskilled journalist ... John Hutchison ....

"Astonishing footage has revealed ..."
"The huge passenger jet is believed to have flown in from Dubai.."
"'That's just too close,' says a lady before cries of 'oh my God' are heard"
"Due to the unscheduled go around, it seems the plane was forced to make a harder landing"
"MailOnline have also contacted Emirates for comment"

He is as utterly clueless as the *onlookers* he has happily quoted across the article.

What an useless article.

I did a go around 2 days ago, previous plane didn't vacate the runway on time, we were 200 feet, normal procedure. In this case I'd like to know what happened after that because the metro must have been air bone and the B77W close by, luckily it was a nice clear day.

It seems the metro didn't expedite the departure enough.

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 27):
Not nessessarily, they could've already been cleared to land before the Metro even started rolling...

Yes, in some places they do, but I don't like when they say, land after runway is clear, clear to land after rolling is airborne... and things like this.

In my opinion the crew from the metro should have seen the plane on final and decide to wait dye to the proximity, even if the controller thinks you can make it, it always crew responsability to assess and decide.
It was a coordination mistake, luckily only a go around and some paperwork, nothing much.

skywaymanaz

Sat May 16, 2015 7:32 am

This might be a story if it was in low visibility conditions, but there wouldn't be video to be worked up about. Go arounds are not that uncommon. I live in downtown Phoenix and have seen go arounds more times than I can remember. They tend to be obvious as they turn out of the way of departing traffic following runway heading. I was on a TWA 727 that had to go around landing here once about 20 years ago. Not something that happens on every flight but fly often enough and it will happen eventually.

I've had to execute a few go arounds with my own plane, mostly at Goodyear. Can't really point fingers as there is so much student traffic in the pattern there at times. It's not that anyone isn't following ATC or that the controller overlooked anything. It's just that some pilots are better at slowing down or speeding up as the situation dictates and some aren't. Since my plane is based there the controllers seem to expect I'll make the turn off with shorter landing distances than students. Most times I pull it off but not always. Since that could cause a plane behind me to go around I always try to make the turnoff if I can safely. Put enough traffic in the pattern and it happens. Maybe the Metroliner just taxiied slower than ATC was expecting in the case here.

[email protected]

Sat May 16, 2015 8:56 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 29):

Yes, in some places they do, but I don't like when they say, land after runway is clear, clear to land after rolling is airborne... and things like this.

I am pretty sure that in the UK you're only cleared to land when the runway is clear. Unlike, say, in the US where everyone is cleared, e.g. 'cleared to land 22R, you're number four'.

[Edited 2015-05-16 01:57:08]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rta

Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 am

To be honest, I think that was a pretty normal go around. Had this happen to me at Heathrow once.

skinny
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 am

Quoting Clipper101 (Reply 15):
Poor guy, is it that much deep Emirates has gone under your skin
Quoting rta (Reply 32):
To be honest, I think that was a pretty normal go around. Had this happen to me at Heathrow once.
Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 28):
I see this happen every single day while working at the airport. That was a normal go-around, far from a "close call."
Quoting My16sidedoffice (Reply 23):
Not exactly newsworthy at all.

Get over yourselves its only a video which may be of interest to some people and this does not happen very often here in bhx.
Some people are so lucky to see this all the time wow I am so jealous.

Armodeen

Sat May 16, 2015 12:54 pm

Not in the UK you can't, here clear to land means clear to land :P

Silver1SWA

Sat May 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Quoting skinny (Reply 33):

Get over yourselves its only a video which may be of interest to some people and this does not happen very often here in bhx.
Some people are so lucky to see this all the time wow I am so jealous.

There is a difference between thinking something is interesting and cool to see, and calling it a close call or dangerous situation.

[Edited 2015-05-16 06:07:35]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

zeke

Sat May 16, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 31):
I am pretty sure that in the UK you're only cleared to land when the runway is clear. Unlike, say, in the US where everyone is cleared, e.g. 'cleared to land 22R, you're number four'.

In the UK they have the, "Land After Procedure",

AIP GEN 3.8.3 Land after Procedure
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadba...P/GEN/EG_GEN_3_3_en_2015-04-02.pdf

Also another set of rules for STN and LGW.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dubaiamman243

Sat May 16, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 19):

scroll down the page
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

PM

Sat May 16, 2015 2:38 pm

What disgraceful journalism.

I've made ten go arounds over the years and it is indeed routine.

[email protected]

Sat May 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 36):

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 31):

AIP GEN 3.8.3 Land after Procedure
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadba...P/GEN/EG_GEN_3_3_en_2015-04-02.pdf

Also another set of rules for STN and LGW.

Ta. Indeed, "Normally, only one aircraft is permitted to land or take-off on the runway-in-use at any one time".

lightsaber

Sat May 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 4):
The most accurate part of this is calling a metro (SA227) an abortion.

I find that incredibly funny... I'm going to look insane today as I chuckle over that at kiddie birthday parties. (A day for the kids with few aviation parents...)

Safety First.

Yep. Not a story. The pilots made the right decision.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

Mir

Sat May 16, 2015 3:57 pm

Not under UK ATC procedure. The controller would be obligated to wait until the Metro was off the ground before issuing the landing clearance.

Quoting zeke (Reply 36):

Which couldn't be used here, as it's only for two successive landing aircraft and this was a landing following a takeoff.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Clipper101

Sat May 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Quoting skinny (Reply 33):
Some people are so lucky to see this all the time wow I am so jealous

It does not happen so frequently in airports around the world but it happens, & YES, I happened to be of those lucky ones who witnesses a few

AirlineCritic

Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Stop criticising the press.

Who got hurt here? The news intern (are there other kind?) got an article made, the newspaper sold papers, the readers got to read an entertaining piece of aviation drama, ... everyone is happy!

Or are you saying that there should be some correctness to what is in the news, or that we who know about aviation are unhappy? A.net doesn't matter, we don't matter... the entertainment matters.

Also, if you know about any topic it will be the same thing. It is all entertainment.

Clipper101

Sat May 16, 2015 6:53 pm

Q- Who got hurt in here?

A- People intellegence, that's the obvious answer.

If it is entertainment, just post it on YouTube & it will be another go around clip that will be anuzing many same as other clips like it. Putting it the context of "Wooo" or "Weee", makes people think: Is that much Emirates is getting into you!

I even recommend this thread should be deleted by moderators. It is just a silly clip attached to it so much "Wooo's" to attract attention (internet hits) that it does not deserve ... & we know what many internet hits on a page mean! Right?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos