Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa777lvr
Topic Author

USA Today Article: Travelers Avoiding AA

Tue May 19, 2015 10:55 am

I came across this USA TODAY article on AA. Truth or just the media bashing another airline?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...irlines-customer-service/27360549/

SYDSpotter

RE: USA Today Article: Travelers Avoiding AA

Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am

Quoting aa777lvr (Thread starter):
I came across this USA TODAY article on AA. Truth or just the media bashing another airline?

Well they don't have any credible facts or statistics to back up their claim that people are avoiding AA, interviewing 2 travellers is not a great sample size. Are people avoiding them? Yeh for sure, just like there are others who avoid United/Delta/Southwest/Virgin. Ultimately this one fact from article is what matters most:

"The airline just reported a record quarterly profit of $1.2 billion, triple its year-ago net profit"

Enough said...

[Edited 2015-05-19 04:16:21]
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

Pbb152

Tue May 19, 2015 11:15 am

Haha, I like his very last statement that if you live in a hub city and strongly dislike the hub airline you may need to relocate. That would be the most ridiculous reason to pack up the family and move away.

SYDSpotter

Tue May 19, 2015 11:20 am

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 2):
Haha, I like his very last statement that if you live in a hub city and strongly dislike the hub airline you may need to relocate. That would be the most ridiculous reason to pack up the family and move away.

Haha, when an article also suggests that you can consider alternative transport options (they suggested train/bus !!! ) just to avoid AA, you know it's not worth taking the article seriously.
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

planeguy727

Tue May 19, 2015 11:21 am

If you read the article it also says that travelers are NOT leaving AA. The headline is click bait.

That being said, AA does have room to improve in customer service.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

Heavierthanair

Tue May 19, 2015 11:25 am

G´day

Love that! Praise of the local big three   

So what is all the issue about the ME3 then?   

Too bad you cannot fly with Emirates, Qatar or Etihad from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh - not yet at least. Just imagine one of them using the A380 on the route! But then again, they do not offer "domestic" first   

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

wjcandee

Tue May 19, 2015 11:43 am

Stupid article based on a false premise by not a reporter but rather a self-described "consumer advocate".

And the one guy's reason for avoiding AA is that he wrote a complaint "letter" online but couldn't transmit it because his screed was more than 500 characters. Hey, idiot...put it on paper and mail it if you think anybody wants to read your overlong, unnecessarily-detailed complaint.

Meanwhile, Doug brings in billions for his shareholders. Go, Doug!

[Edited 2015-05-19 04:46:09]

Pbb152

Tue May 19, 2015 11:46 am

How about we try to not turn this into a US3 vs ME3 debate. There are enough of those threads already.

USA Today is a hack paper with hack "journalists". I am not an AA fan or frequent flier, and I have heard a story here and there about customer service issues since the merger, but this article is just plain silly. You can find two or three people who can say something negative about every service company. But at the end of the day, it seems like AA's 1Q financial results tell you all you need to know.

tlecam

Tue May 19, 2015 12:05 pm

I'm admittedly a Delta FF. However, I've been traveling between BOS and PHL recently and I've been flying AA/US. I have to say that even with delays, I have no issues with the customer service. IN fact, I'd say that it is pretty good. To be honest, the only issue I have is that stupid algorithm which "predicts" when the bins will be full and forces everyone else to gate check. In theory it's a great idea. Last Wednesday, when I boarded my flight from PHL to BOS, the bin above my seat was completely empty. Not just the space above me - the entire bin. The flight attendent was great though - she saw me look at it and whispered "go get it."

I have never flow US or AA long haul and I will be on the look out to try it.

[Edited 2015-05-19 05:06:33]
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

par13del

Tue May 19, 2015 12:09 pm

So the article also mentions that AA is ranked third behind the likes of F9 and UA are those figures credible?
"American scored a 66 out of 100 points in the latest American Customer Service Index, unchanged from 2013. That's 5 points below the industry average."

simairlinenet

Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 1):
Well they don't have any credible facts or statistics to back up their claim that people are avoiding AA, interviewing 2 travellers is not a great sample size.

Because the plural of anecdote is data.

Cubsrule

Tue May 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting tlecam (Reply 8):
I'm admittedly a Delta FF. However, I've been traveling between BOS and PHL recently and I've been flying AA/US. I have to say that even with delays, I have no issues with the customer service.

I'm sort of similar. I spent much of the spring in a city served only by AA, so I've flown AA much more than usual this year. Other than some cramped facilities at CLT--a problem that has existed for a long time--I have no complaints.

[Edited 2015-05-19 05:52:19]
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

us330

Tue May 19, 2015 12:24 pm

Quoting tlecam (Reply 8):
To be honest, the only issue I have is that stupid algorithm which "predicts" when the bins will be full and forces everyone else to gate check. In theory it's a great idea. Last Wednesday, when I boarded my flight from PHL to BOS, the bin above my seat was completely empty. Not just the space above me - the entire bin

Yep. Flew DCA-BOS about a year ago, and they announced that all the bins were full--but when we got on the plane, half the bins were empty and people were pissed. I realize that they are trying to save time by pre-emptively checking bags before people get on the aircraft, but there has to be a better way for when the algorithm doesn't work--and it doesn't seem to be that reliable.

CALMSP

Tue May 19, 2015 12:42 pm

not a big deal.....................these articles were all over the place when UA/CO merged as well.

BigGSFO

Tue May 19, 2015 1:27 pm

Swap out "AA" with any other airline and it's the same article with different hub cities. It's just fodder.

airbazar

Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 1):
"The airline just reported a record quarterly profit of $1.2 billion, triple its year-ago net profit"
Enough said...

Like the article, that doesn't really say anything. The only way to know whether travelers are avoiding an airline is to show whether passenger numbers are going up or down.

OB1504

Tue May 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Quoting us330 (Reply 12):
Yep. Flew DCA-BOS about a year ago, and they announced that all the bins were full--but when we got on the plane, half the bins were empty and people were pissed. I realize that they are trying to save time by pre-emptively checking bags before people get on the aircraft, but there has to be a better way for when the algorithm doesn't work--and it doesn't seem to be that reliable.

The boarding announcement script requires agents to state that they are expecting a full flight (regardless of actual load factor) and to solicit gate checked bags. I don't believe there's an actual algorithm.

peanuts

Tue May 19, 2015 2:29 pm

You ask Truth? Is that seriously an option?

Ugh. If you're not taking the media with a HUGE grain of salt by now nobody can help you.

This article is child's play. Pathetic.

jetblue1965

Tue May 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 16):

The boarding announcement script requires agents to state that they are expecting a full flight (regardless of actual load factor) and to solicit gate checked bags. I don't believe there's an actual algorithm.

UA's announcements usually will say that they're expecting full flight, and mostly solicit the gate checked bags only from boarding groups 4 and 5.

KFLLCFII

Tue May 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Add me to the list. We booked a trip through US Airways to Anchorage from Fort Lauderdale last October for travel a couple weeks ago (one of us using award travel with Dividend Miles accrued through a debit card, the other using conventional payment), and on THREE occasions over that six-month period, they gave us no notification whatsoever that the departure/arrival times of most of our flights were changed...and that one or two the inbound/outbound connecting flights were outright eliminated...due to changes in the schedule.

Had I not happened to pull up the reservations one day in December and receiving notice on the page to agree to the reservation changes or call the airline, I may have never known the flights were changed...and that I would have to adjust outside travel/lodging arrangements accordingly. And of course, checking up on the reservations at later dates (with my new heightened awareness that the airline may do this again to us), it happened on TWO more occasions before the trip: Twice was the schedule and reservation changed, yet no email, no phone call, no notification whatsoever was made to inform us to review the new changes. But I certainly had no trouble receiving emails to my address on file when I pushed the revised reservations to my inbox... And yes, they had the correct phone number on file too.

I get that schedule changes can occur (although making changes/eliminations after bookings have already begun to be accepted for any particular flight, except in last-minute extenuating/unforeseen/emergency circumstances, is pretty shady in and of itself), but not reaching out to a customer with a confirmed ticket in any way shape or form that their reservation changed is completely unacceptable.

I'm not sure whether that was US Airways' way of doing business (I find that hard to believe), or because the schedule was being tinkered as a process of the merger (more likely, and also hinted at by one of the customer service agents on the phone), but if (and I assume) it was the latter, then I hold American as the controlling airline responsible: It's ridiculous that schedule changes and eliminations of particular flights couldn't wait for those beyond what is already bookable...Let alone with no outreach whatsoever to customers affected by the mid-stream change.

Forget all the ancillaries, that's just non-existent customer service at the core of their operation.

No need to test their core mentality when looking out for customers beyond the merger, I've already seen it. Won't fool me again.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

dcaord

Tue May 19, 2015 4:46 pm

Funny, because I pay extra to fly AA frequently.

ozark1

Tue May 19, 2015 5:20 pm

It is interesting because the JD Power survey that just came out said AA and DL had improved the most...each up 16 points. I wonder, since that joke of a paper that you can read in 60 seconds, is based in Atlanta, if they are as critical of Delta. Granted, they have improved much more than AA, but this is such a typical USA Today article. It's free in hotels, etc, and of course that's their way of getting people riled up before they get on the plane. It's articles like this that make people think the airline is lying in every situation, like if we divert for weather. One time we were going OMA-DFW and diverted to GGG. We would have had to circle DFW for longer than we had fuel due to weather in the area. A woman stopped me, was on her cell phone, and said "my friend says it is clear in Dallas! Stop lying to us!" UGH.

uberflieger

Tue May 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Looks like blackmail to me to get more AA advertisement         

flyguy89

Tue May 19, 2015 6:26 pm

It's a crap article. Just run back and read some of the author's previous articles, he hates airlines and is a hack for re-regulation with no depth of knowledge about the industry.

uberflieger

Tue May 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 23):
It's a crap article

So why would USA largest newspaper print it? Plain & simple. It's a warning.     

fraspotter

Tue May 19, 2015 7:14 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 21):
One time we were going OMA-DFW and diverted to GGG. We would have had to circle DFW for longer than we had fuel due to weather in the area. A woman stopped me, was on her cell phone, and said "my friend says it is clear in Dallas! Stop lying to us!" UGH.

I remember when the Eyjafjallajökull volcano in Iceland erupted in 2010 and air traffic was disrupted for a bit. Numerous people at the airports that were delayed took to the internet and were bashing the airlines, airports etc that the "skies were clear and that they were canceling for no reason". Some people don't understand or accept that sometimes there are factors that are outside of anyone's control. But then again the internet is full of these people.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

mayor

Tue May 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 5):
Too bad you cannot fly with Emirates, Qatar or Etihad from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh - not yet at least. Just imagine one of them using the A380 on the route! But then again, they do not offer "domestic" first

Because the ME3 are the only ones that MIGHT make a profit on that particular route with a 380.

I wonder, since that joke of a paper that you can read in 60 seconds, is based in Atlanta, if they are as critical of Delta.

I don't recall them being particularly supportive of DL in their articles. Heck, the AJC isn't all that supportive, either.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

flyguy89

Tue May 19, 2015 8:15 pm

Quoting uberflieger (Reply 24):

Quoting flyguy89 (Reply 23):
It's a crap article

So why would USA largest newspaper print it? Plain & simple. It's a warning.

They print his crap all the time, too.

MD80Nut

Tue May 19, 2015 8:30 pm

I avoid USA Today, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and all mainstream news/TV outlets. I feel much better now!

Cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

Oykie

Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 pm

I traveled with American last year from IAH to DFW to LAX. The crew on both flights was especially friendly, the ground personnel varied somewhat, but overall experience was good. After all the bashing AA and domestic U.S.flights get I was positively surprised. My biggest worry was all the carry-ons people in the U.S has and tries to take onboard. But AA managed to help them by loading bags for people voluntarily without charge. I will not avoid AA, and will not suggest for other people to avoid them.
Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large, then go make that dream real - Donald Douglas

aerolimani

Tue May 19, 2015 9:08 pm

The headline is clickbait and the content is filler/fluff. Beyond that, I believe the author is attempting sarcasm.

Quote:
• Move. In some cities (Philadelphia, Dallas) American is so dominant that it's almost impossible to avoid, particularly if you're flying internationally. Ditto for other airlines in certain places. If you feel so strongly about staying away, you may have to relocate.

I think Mr. Elliott is attempting to mock people who complain.

On a side note, I have to say that I think 500 words is completely reasonable to write up a complaint. So you had a bad time on the airline? That doesn't give you the right to force your 20-page epic on some poor customer service employee.

PMUA787

Tue May 19, 2015 9:12 pm

Quoting Pbb152 (Reply 2):

I about fell on the floor laughing at that suggestion. If that is a reason to relocate you may need to reconsider your priorities in life or seek professional help.

delta88

Tue May 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Personally ive flown American most of my young life, Flying BOS-LAX-HNL and HNL-DFW-BOS. While this was some years ago, even in post 9/11 i never once had any complains with them. My most recent trip was from BOS-DFW-SAT and back, this was 2011 but even pre-merger never once had any real problems with them. Nowadays when i book a flight i try to find the cheapest flight possible, regardless of the Airline. Im flying to Norfolk on DL this summer only because it was the cheapest flight. If American had offered a cheaper flight, then I would have grabbed that. I dont think its nessecerilay people avoiding AA. There are some people that ONLY fly AA, and some that NEVER will. Some people have a bad expiernce and they dont fly with them again, some continue because its easiest or has the best connections in regards to the airport they fly in and out of the most. If you dont like AA, then dont fly with them simple as that. If you want to get a real sense as to whether or not people are avoiding AA, go to one of their hubs, or even one of the smaller cities they serve, sit at the other terminals and gate counters and ask IF you avoided AA or you just didnt think of it.
B712,B738,B739,B752,B762ER,B763ER,B772ER,MD82,MD83,MD88,MD90,A320,CRJ9,CRJ2,EMJ145,ERJ175

EA CO AS

Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting par13del (Reply 9):
So the article also mentions that AA is ranked third behind the likes of F9 and UA are those figures credible?

AA was edged out of second place in the JD Power award for legacy carriers by a mere 9 points, up substantially from last year's showing. I'd say that's far more credible

Truth or just the media bashing another airline?

Anything written by Christopher Elliott or Peter Greenberg is utter trash and needs to be taken with a grain of salt the size of a Rubik's Cube.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

OzarkD9S

Tue May 19, 2015 11:24 pm

The only reason I've avoided AA is FF programs (DL/WN here) and DFW. I despise DFW. But if AA has a good price and the times I wanna go, I'll pay for it with my DL Amex and fly AA, through ORD, and now CLT and PHX in the mix, AA is under consideration again.
"My soul is in the sky". -Pyramus- A Midsummer's Night Dream

ABQopsHP

Wed May 20, 2015 1:12 am

my friend says it is clear in Dallas

Okay, so if your friends driveway is about 7000ft long, clear and dry, we can land there! I used that term once with a passenger who came up to me while I was working the gate and we had similar (RARE) rain delays in PHX. After I said that they gave me this look like it had gone over their head (which Im sure it had). I explained just because its clear at your friends or your house doesnt mean its the same at the airport. Even if its only 5 miles away.

JD
ABQ ops, Cactus 202 requesting you order 5 Green Chile Chicken stew for us to p/u on arrival. ;)

olddominion727

Wed May 20, 2015 1:50 am

AA is awful. Mostly their phone customer service. I think the transport side of the airline is okay, could be better. I take Eagle through a lot, and I try to avoid DFW like the plague. They never have gate space. On more than one occasion they've had Eagle's lined up because they really didn't know where to put them and their gate changes are quite plentiful in the morning. I don't have as many of the same Eagle issues in CLT, LAX or ORD

YULWinterSkies

Wed May 20, 2015 2:39 am

Quoting MD80Nut (Reply 28):
avoid USA Today, CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and all mainstream news/TV outlets. I feel much better now!

Maybe if you and I team up (that's 2 people, right) and get interviewed, one can make a news article about how Americans (that's both of us only, right?) are avoiding mainstream TV news channels.
We have about the exact same situation as what the paper is about: come up with an idea for a paper, find two people who agree with the idea and want to be interviewed, and voila, your paper is out, sir! Careful, the plate is hot!
When I doubt... go running!

Rafabozzolla

Wed May 20, 2015 3:01 am

..."you may have to relocate".

Most ludicrous statement I´ve ever read (heard)!!!!

RDUDDJI

Wed May 20, 2015 3:19 am

I wonder, since that joke of a paper that you can read in 60 seconds, is based in Atlanta

USA Today is based in McLean, Va (DC Metro Area). But don't let some pesky facts get in the way of a good rant!
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them