Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

xiaotung

RE: New Zealand Aviation Thread Part 159

Mon May 25, 2015 10:11 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 97):
Now this is irritating.

Travelling tonight AKL-PVG on NZ, then PVG-AMS-TXL on KL. NZ can't check my bags past PVG. What gives??
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/transiting-via-shanghai

Nothing to do with NZ. Within T2, PVG only thru checks bags between NZ and VS/LH/LX, also more recently between AA and CX/KA.

777ER
Head Moderator
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2015 10:14 am

NZ can't have an interline agreement with KLM. Every time I've flown DL on an NZ booking, I can't get a boarding pass for the other airline when checking in with NZ in WLG or DL in USA. Got to go to the NZ/DL check-in counters at my first destination to pick up my boarding pass.

NZ107

Mon May 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Partially because PVG is a hole and I would never suggest anyone to transit through there.. I've heard too many stories of people having to pick their bags up, carry them across to another terminal and check in again there. It's rather pathetic. Go through HKG, SIN or NRT next time. NZ does have an interline agreement with KL.

georgiabill

Mon May 25, 2015 1:34 pm

This has been discussed before of using a point in North America (assuming 5th freedom rights) to another destination in UK or Europe. MAN was mentioned as possibility using SFO or YVR. I was wondering if 5th freedom rights were obtained would FRA be a better choice than MAN?

FRA would offer star connections on LH. But perhaps better served with connections in LAX (LH) SFO(UA,LH) IAH(UA,LH) and YVR(LH)

As much as I would like to see NZ expand it appears Europe is better served with connections with the exception of LHR. YVR or SFO assuming 5th freedom rights were obtained to entertain thoughts of new service. YVR with AC codeshare might work to FRA if that was the choice for a new european service perhaps 3 or 4 times weekly.

Other possible options for NZ to expand perhaps flights from AKL to JNB or Seattle. Perhaps another destination in Japan KIX or CTS. CTS might offer fishing related business. Mainland China perhaps better served with codeshares.

aerokiwi

Mon May 25, 2015 2:21 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 95):
KL is worse than NZ, a truly horrid product,

Very true. KL is a pretty awful carrier. Old-school European style, and not in the good, glamorous kind of way.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 98):
So the government has announced that NZL passports will revert back to 10 year validity from December. Glad it is finally happening but I'm not sure as to why it's going to take until December!

Yeah that;s BS on the government's part. They switched it virtually overnight from 10 to 5 years. And now drag their feet. Pretty messed up. Along with the departure tax increase I'm not very impressed with our Minister for Tourism right now.

sunrisevalley

Mon May 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting georgiabill (Reply 103):
As much as I would like to see NZ expand it appears Europe is better served with connections with the exception of LHR. YVR or SFO assuming 5th freedom rights were obtained to entertain thoughts of new service. YVR with AC codeshare might work to FRA if that was the choice for a new european service perhaps 3 or 4 times weekly.

My view is that the possibility of NZ providing service beyond YVR to Europe is pretty remote. At this time of the year LH has a daily to FRA and KLM a daily to AMS . To LHR BA is 2X and AC 1X daily. There are also numerous services by carriers such as Air Transat and Condor. YVR has the ocean on one side and the Rockies on the other and SEA just down the road siphoning it's traffic off as BUF and IAG are doing to YYZ.

MillwallSean

Mon May 25, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 104):
Yeah that;s BS on the government's part. They switched it virtually overnight from 10 to 5 years. And now drag their feet. Pretty messed up. Along with the departure tax increase I'm not very impressed with our Minister for Tourism right now.

Ah no one is. But sometimes we miss that its actually one sane step taken and that is the ten year passports. A reversal of one of the most annoying 11 September issues. Not that I have a New Zealand passport...

The departure tax is seriously insane.
Why do I need to keep on subsidising these screaming farmers?
I dont want to.
If they cant make money from herding their milkcows around, from stealing chinese gooseberries and renaming them kiwifruits then let them go out of business and work with something else.
Its bizarre, we have 4 flavours of cheese in the supermarket despite us being a diary economy. 4 flavours and i havent even mentioned the milkprice. Brilliant to have oligopoly markets. Have some cheese with that brilliant red pinot from central otago, there are two choice of cheese and hmm about 50 different pinots from central Otago and yup were a dairy producing country...
How much further can the government bend over for this special interest?
Now we have to pay for them when we travel overseas too. Great is there anyway the farming hillbillies cant screw me over?
Soon I will have to pay their salaries too...

Gasman

Tue May 26, 2015 12:13 am

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 102):
Partially because PVG is a hole and I would never suggest anyone to transit through there.. I've heard too many stories of people having to pick their bags up, carry them across to another terminal and check in again there.

A process which I just completed 10 minutes ago. It was pretty streamlined I must admit, but even so. Am now in the AF/KL "lounge" which consists of a windowless room filled with stained chairs and the air-con set to about a million. I feel churlish now for complaining about the NZ lounge at AKL. This whole place uncannily reminds me of NAN in the 1970's. Yep, this will be the last time I transit through PVG.

It was good to experience the 789. J product fairly predictable but even that seems to be getting more and more cramped with each subsequent iteration since the 744. Service from the two Shanghai based crew was superb, SQ standards. Y+ looked like a great product, and Y looked horrid. Had a walk through at the end of the flight and it was a cabin filled with people looking like they would surely have committed suicide, had they been able to find the will to do so.

Very true. KL is a pretty awful carrier. Old-school European style, and not in the good, glamorous kind of way.

You guys are getting me seriously worried. I'm going to need some relief after suffering this place for another 5 hours, and I was hoping the next leg would provide it. I've only had positive experiences on KLM, but it's been a while I must admit.

sunrisevalley

Tue May 26, 2015 12:40 am

I have been playing around with what the 77E payload might be westbound IAH-AKL for the 14.5hr sector. I am figuring the DOW at ~ 144.3t and the ZFW at ~186t leaving a payload of > 40t. Based on a passenger load factor of 85% this should allow ~ 11t of freight.. Not too bad.

mariner

Tue May 26, 2015 4:43 am

Air NZ was healthy in April:

http://centreforaviation.com/news/ai...pdate-op-stats---april-2015-448651

"Air New Zealand pax up 11% to 1.2m with 86% load factor in Apr-2015, group-wide yields up"

mariner

Gasman

Tue May 26, 2015 5:00 pm

KL is a pretty awful carrier. Old-school European style, and not in the good, glamorous kind of way.

And again today, this was not my experience. The new KL J product is excellent, forward facing with around 50% more personal space than NZ's herringbone offing which I am finding increasingly claustrophobic, and way more storage space (this is a real problem on NZ). Attentiveness superb. Great wine selection. Food a mixed bag.

aerorobnz

Tue May 26, 2015 5:49 pm

Quoting gasman (Reply 110):
And again today, this was not my experience. The new KL J product is excellent, forward facing with around 50% more personal space than NZ's herringbone offing which I am finding increasingly claustrophobic, and way more storage space (this is a real problem on NZ). Attentiveness superb. Great wine selection. Food a mixed bag.

That sums up my experience ith KLM longhaul Y too. Not grand and spectacular, but I love their snack service and the fact they offer port etc in Y. I also like the pay for a better standard of meal option they offer. Larger and higher specification.

As I sit here in my hotel room in LAX waiting for my return flight tonight, you may be interested to know that I had a skycouch product to LAX, and perhaps the best cabin service I have had on NZ in 2-3 years. I was pleasantly surprised. Some notes
- the beef casserole was tasty, the breakfast as with most Y class breakfasts on any airline was adequate.
- there seemed to be more of a presence in the cabin (still not once an hour water service as there is on KL but big improvement)
- the IFE was same same (but maybe recommend the Pategonia Top Gear to maybe not be still there for commencement of AKL-EZE... )
- the skycouch is actually reasonably comfortable for one, but no room for spooning IMO, and I was asked by other passengers if they could sit in the aisle seat a couple of times so I quickly put up the couch to make it clear that the whole row was mine. I managed at least 5-6h sleep. Not bad, and more than I would have got in U Class.

I reckon a 7 out of 10 for that flight. I will be interested to see if the return is also true before I deem it a trend rather than an anomaly..

I was also out the front of TBIT in 28min and therefor out before Scheduled arrival time of NZ2.. Acceptable given that there were so many airlines on the ground.

sunrisevalley

Tue May 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 111):
I was also out the front of TBIT in 28min

what are the terminals that are used at TBIT to facilitate quicker border entry. ? I wonder if IAH will have these.

aklrno

Tue May 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 112):
what are the terminals that are used at TBIT to facilitate quicker border entry. ? I wonder if IAH will have these.

Are you referring to the kiosks that check your passport? There are lots of them at LAX TBIT, I didn't see any at T7 when I arrived there a few weeks ago. Don't know about the other terminals. That was what you were asking? The question's a bit unclear but I think that was what you are asking. Those kiosks are showing up at lots of other airports. I think the airport has to buy them, not the government.

On a completely different topic, did anyone notice the article in the Herald online edition (don't know about the print edition) about Airbus trying to reduce aircraft emissions with biofuels? It was accompanied with a nice photo of a 787.

sunrisevalley

Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 113):
Are you referring to the kiosks that check your passport?

Yes. After this is done do you go directly to baggage claim?

aklrno

Tue May 26, 2015 9:49 pm

After being approved by the kiosk you get in line to be seen by a human agent, but it is a very quick check. Since everyone else in that line has been approved by the kiosk, you don't have the problem of the line being held up by a traveler on a Martian passport with a soon to be expired green card (or whatever problems clog the ordinary lines) holding things up. Usually a max 5 minute wait for me.

sunrisevalley

Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 am

Quoting aklrno (Reply 115):
Usually a max 5 minute wait for me.

I have a NEXUS card but have never used it to enter the USA by air, only at land border crossings. Is the NEXUS line after the kiosk's or is it instead of?

Gasman

Wed May 27, 2015 3:00 am

I reckon a 7 out of 10 for that flight. I will be interested to see if the return is also true before I deem it a trend rather than an anomaly..

Do let us know. My AKL-PVG flight yesterday was pretty positive too. The hard product in J is sub-par I believe, but the soft product and cabin service from the two PVG based crew was superb. Even the lazy, 120kg 58 year old chief purser who is on *every* flight NZ operates didn't seem to be be on board that time  

aklrno

Wed May 27, 2015 5:03 am

I don't remember seeing a NEXUS sign anywhere along the kiosk route, but that is not assurance that a NEXUS line exists or not somewhere else.

I am usually (at most) half-awake at that point so there could be a separate line for Martians and I probably wouldn't notice it.

I do seem to have a fixation with Martians in this thread.

ZKOJH

Wed May 27, 2015 5:14 am

With the startling news that MH will disappear from the 1st of June - and go through a complete overhaul,the carrier “will terminate its entire workforce (some 20,000 people have already been sent letters) to start afresh as a smaller airline with a regional focus rather than international.”

How will this play out for operations into AKL ? (When I worked for NZ we still had the contract in AKL to do the groundwork for them)

1) Could NZ have a go at serving KUL? but with SIN down the road don't think it would be a smart move

2) Air Asia commence services - there have been talks about them returning to New Zealand.

3) BA will commence services to KUL today (27 May) from LHR, could they extend the flights onto New Zealand perhaps? as well as maybe other OZ ports?!

What do other people think will happen?

http://www.marketing-interactive.com...rlines-undergoes-drastic-overhaul/

PA515

Wed May 27, 2015 5:18 am

'Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight' (window seat in row 12 on NZ421 AKL-WLG)

"Captain ordered aviation security to remove Jones after the property magnate refused to follow crew instructions on a plane."

http://nzherald.co.nz/business/news/...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11455485

Remember the 1981 photo of him in front of his Rolls Royce giving anti-apartheid protesters the fingers.

PA515

Gasman

Wed May 27, 2015 5:20 am

Quoting ZKOJH (Reply 119):
What do other people think will happen?

The market will simply be absorbed onto existing routes (like SIN, as you say). KUL isn't a huge O&D destination from AKL and I don't see anyone else, in particular NZ, jumping in to pick up the route.

ZKOJH

Wed May 27, 2015 5:24 am

"Air New Zealand / UNITED Expands Codeshare Routes via Houston from Dec 2015"

Air New Zealand starting 15 DEC 15 will expand codeshare service with UNITED via Houston, the same day it launches Auckland – Houston nonstop service. NZ code will be placed on following 33 routes operated by UNITED/UNITED Express, flight number range is NZ6300 – 6799.

Air New Zealand operated by UNITED
Houston – Albuquerque
Houston – Atlanta
Houston – Austin
Houston – Boston
Houston – Charlotte
Houston – Chicago O’Hare
Houston – Cincinnati
Houston – Cleveland
Houston – Dallas/Ft. Worth
Houston – Denver
Houston – Des Moines
Houston – Detroit

for a complete list (All 33) you can follow the link

http://airlineroute.net/2015/05/26/nzua-codehsare-dec15/

xiaotung

Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am

With the startling news that MH will disappear from the 1st of June - and go through a complete overhaul,the carrier “will terminate its entire workforce (some 20,000 people have already been sent letters) to start afresh as a smaller airline with a regional focus rather than international.”

How will this play out for operations into AKL ? (When I worked for NZ we still had the contract in AKL to do the groundwork for them)

The only major Southeast Asia destinations worth serving that involve backtracking from SIN are CGK and MNL. So I only see CGK and MNL as a potential. Everywhere else even India is covered by the SQ alliance.

PA515

Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 am

Quoting PA515 (Reply 120):
'Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight' (window seat in row 12 on NZ421 AKL-WLG)

"Captain ordered aviation security to remove Jones after the property magnate refused to follow crew instructions on a plane."

http://nzherald.co.nz/business/news/...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11455485

Remember the 1981 photo of him in front of his Rolls Royce giving anti-apartheid protesters the fingers.

Updated report.
'Claps and cheers' as Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight

http://nzherald.co.nz/Business/news/...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11455637

TV One report had an impressive air to air shot of a domestic A320 landing at CHC.

PA515

NZ107

Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am

Could NZ have a go at serving KUL? but with SIN down the road don't think it would be a smart move
BA will commence services to KUL today (27 May) from LHR, could they extend the flights onto New Zealand perhaps? as well as maybe other OZ ports?!

If anyone, I'd expect EK over any other full service carrier to start this route.

MillwallSean

Wed May 27, 2015 11:49 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 121):
The market will simply be absorbed onto existing routes (like SIN, as you say). KUL isn't a huge O&D destination from AKL and I don't see anyone else, in particular NZ, jumping in to pick up the route.

With Malaysians being one of the largest immigrant groups in Auckland the market is more promising than some of the others mentioned here like Bombay and Manila. Malaysians is also a top 5 group at many universities. (due to non malays basically barred from government unis in Malaysia)
However the market is not large enough for any airline to rely on O/D exclusively.

Add on the fact that 90% or more of the Malaysians thats moved to New Zealand are non malay and thus suffer virtual apartheid discrimination in their home country. This has led many of them to take out NZ citizenship and for those still keeping their malaysian (illegal) they tend to fly into Singapore etc to conceal their dual citizenships.

This market has also been one of MH worst performers over the years, together with Brisbane.
My guess is, Air Asia will get it. No other airline will even consider it.

byronicle6

Wed May 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 126):
This market has also been one of MH worst performers over the years, together with Brisbane.

Do you have a source for this?
I have heard the rumours of the opposite - that AKL has been a relatively strong market for MH (at least compared to most other routes) and theres a good chance it will survive the cuts coming.

MillwallSean

Wed May 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 127):
Do you have a source for this?
I have heard the rumours of the opposite - that AKL has been a relatively strong market for MH (at least compared to most other routes) and theres a good chance it will survive the cuts coming.

Yes in the previous consultancy report on how to fix MH those two routes were pointed out as the poorest performers. AKL may survive, probably depends on the strategy the airline sets. financially AKL is no winner though. That I have from a very good source...

MH reduced frequency down to, at its lowest, 4 times a week. These days MH is constantly on sale having had the best fares for virtually 6 months.

VAM8789

Wed May 27, 2015 2:04 pm

Does anyone know which US cities have the most onward traffic for NZ for their flights to/from LAX and SFO?

Motorhussy

Wed May 27, 2015 10:44 pm

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 123):
So I only see CGK and MNL as a potential.

Is there any sense in NZ ever codesharing on flights between DPS-MNL and DPS-CGK, or is it too seasonal and not frequent enough? And if they did, which airline/s would they partner with?

ZKOJH

Thu May 28, 2015 5:29 am

"New flight path into Auckland Airport"

Commercial jets approaching Auckland from the north will trial using a third satellite-guided flight path from September 1 this year - in an attempt to reduce fuel use, exhaust emissions and noise and to spread air traffic over a wider area of the city.

Auckland Airport, Airways New Zealand and the Board of Airline Representatives New Zealand (BARNZ) announced today the details of the new satellite-guided SMART Approach trial flight path to Auckland Airport from the North.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11456229

"NZ does air deal with Greece"

New Zealand is about to sign an air services deal with Greece that will allow code share flights between the two countries.

While the agreement doesn't guarantee flights, Transport Minister Simon Bridges said there was a good chance an airline would take up the rights in the medium term.

"Our view is that it has some realistic prospect of actually seeing people to people movement between New Zeland and Greece,'' the minister said in Leipzig, eastern Germany, where he is due to sign the deal early tomorrow.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ticle.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11456208

mariner

Thu May 28, 2015 6:12 am

This article seems to give a very positive view of what's happening here for Malaysia

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU150...es-bounces-back-in-new-zealand.htm

"Malaysia Airlines Bounces Back in New Zealand

Malaysia Airlines is back on a strong growth path in New Zealand with sales in the first quarter of this year up 31 per cent compared to the same period in 2014.

Malaysia Airlines’ Regional Senior Vice President, PK Lee, said while there is still more work to do to continue growing in New Zealand, it is encouraging to see Kiwis regaining faith in the airline as a world class operation.

“The New Zealand and Australian market is our major market outside of Malaysia and connecting our continents is our ultimate goal. We have been flying in and out of Australia for 40 years, and New Zealand for more than 25 years now, and we are committed to helping this region build closer ties with Asia for mutual benefit,” Mr Lee said."

mariner

zkojq

Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 am

Quoting wstakl (Reply 49):
Especially since the dear leader of this country and Minister of Tourism went up to London to lobby for lower travel taxes when the UK increased theirs.

Haha, oh the irony.

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 50):
If you cant afford an extra $36, you shouldn't be travelling internationally.

$26. The problem isn't so much the $26, I think it's more the fact that for a family of four or five, it really starts to add up.

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 76):
AKL-HKG for example is a route that could use the extra hold space and capacity of the 77W.

I think so. Maybe another two 77Ws (replacing 77Es) could be handy for this.

Quoting gasman (Reply 73):
I'm about to fly AKL-TXL, using NZ (having sworn I'd not fly with them long haul again) and KLM, through Asia. The return fare was $7100.

Going westbound, using either NZ/KLM or NZ/LH was going to cost just under $12,000. (!!!).
Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 95):
Going westbound is insane when it comes to pricing. Monopoly routes and it shows. Sometimes it costs the same to go to California as to Europe...

I don't really get why people would want to go to Europe via North America anyway. Better airports in Asia with HKG/SIN.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 106):
Why do I need to keep on subsidising these screaming farmers?
I dont want to.

Probably because (generally speaking) they vote overwhelmingly for the govt. The problem is also that farmers are taxed lightly, with very generous deductibles/exemptions.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 106):
The departure tax is seriously insane.

maybe recommend the Pategonia Top Gear to maybe not be still there for commencement of AKL-EZE

Quoting PA515 (Reply 120):
'Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight'
Quoting PA515 (Reply 124):
'Claps and cheers' as Bob Jones ejected from Air NZ flight

Sounds like a good choice from the Captain. FA's have more important things to do than deal with his nonsense.

Kiwirob

Thu May 28, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting ZKOJQ (Reply 48):
I just hope that we will see more customs staff for arrivals. During peak times, the amount of time that it takes in the queue for customs is unacceptably long. Even during off peak times, it's usually a real pain.

If you have an electronic passport this isn't a problem, it's pretty quick using the automated service.

PA515

Thu May 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 98):
In other news it looks like NZ is dropping certain 2x per day frequencies into SFO presumably to have aircraft for the IAH service (seeing as how it's the same days).

Nothing on http://www.airlineroute.net yet, but the Air NZ website booking function has changes to the AKL-LAX NZ4/NZ3 and AKL-SFO NZ14/NZ15 77E flights from Dec 2015.

NZ4/NZ3 was Mo Th Sa. This is now Mo & Sa
NZ14/NZ15 was We Fr Su. This is now Th & Sa

The 77E fleet down days will be Mo & Th.

PA515

[Edited 2015-05-28 06:10:51]

[Edited 2015-05-28 06:19:15]

sunrisevalley

Thu May 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 135):

Does this mean each of the 8 aircraft will have one down day every 4-weeks?

byronicle6

Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Fantastic reporting from the NZ Herald as usual   

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/new...ticle.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=11454881

Apparently the TN flight to AKL continues onto SYD....

aerorobnz

Thu May 28, 2015 10:00 pm

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 137):
Apparently the TN flight to AKL continues onto SYD....

mysteriously transforming an A340-300 into a 737-838 with a red tail with a white rat jumping... 
Quoting NZ107 (Reply 125):
If anyone, I'd expect EK over any other full service carrier to start this route.

Thus bypassing the current issues they have with slots transtasman. However If the new MH remains in oneworld then surely QR as a fellow oneworld carrier would be best. MH could then codeshare

aerokiwi

Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 am

Quoting gasman (Reply 110):
And again today, this was not my experience.

Sorry I didn't realise you were flying J class. My experience on KL has only been in Y and it was dreadful on 9 separate occasions. Consistency in a bad way, though hopefully things have changed since 2010.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 134):
If you have an electronic passport this isn't a problem, it's pretty quick using the automated service.

I think you're confusing customs with immigration/passport control. Yes the e-passports are fantastic for the latter (I wish Australia adopted e-gate for departing pax) but it's all for nought if you get stuck trying to get through customs/biosecurity/whatever it's called.

PA515

Fri May 29, 2015 2:04 am

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 136):
Quoting PA515 (Reply 135):

Does this mean each of the 8 aircraft will have one down day every 4-weeks?

Don't know. These are the overnight gaps in the schedule after the latest changes. There could be other alterations, most likely to Trans-Tasman. There has been about a five week period when there was no overnight downtime for the 77W fleet which released a 77E for those two days. If that happened for the six weeks mid Dec to end of Jan 2016 then a 77E would be available Mo Tu We Th as a 77E is used on the Tu AKL-SFO-AKL NZ8/NZ7 to allow for 77W downtime.

Also, there's one 763 unaccounted for in the schedule. One is due to leave the fleet before 30 June 2016 but I was under the impression it would be after the peak season. Some of the Trans-Tasman 320 flights in the schedule will most likely be changed to a 763.

Wondered if AKL-ADL 0820/1040, ADL-AKL 1135/1820 might be rescheduled about an hour earlier to connect with AKL-IAH at 1830 as the extra PER-AKL's arrive at 1730.

PA515

byronicle6

Fri May 29, 2015 2:25 am

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 139):
I wish Australia adopted e-gate for departing pax

Its being rolled out from "Mid 2015"

Quoting PA515 (Reply 140):
Wondered if AKL-ADL 0820/1040, ADL-AKL 1135/1820 might be rescheduled about an hour earlier to connect with AKL-IAH at 1830 as the extra PER-AKL's arrive at 1730.

If this was done, ADL would only connect to LAX with the 2x weekly NZ3 flight which arrives in AKL at 0600, as NZ1 arrives at 0700 and NZ5 at 0800. I think its more important to connect ADL to LAX daily than to IAH.

xiaotung

Fri May 29, 2015 2:52 am

http://www.traveltrendstoday.in/news...and-in-talks-with-ai-for-codeshare

NZ and AI are to codeshare via SYD/MEL soon. Luxon does not rule out a direct Indias route at a later stage.

aerorobnz

Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting PA515 (Reply 140):
Also, there's one 763 unaccounted for in the schedule. One is due to leave the fleet before 30 June 2016

ZK-NCG is the machine going for parting out. My understanding is that the remaining 763 fleet eventually becomes the backup (ground spare) as happened to the 744s but probably the one aircraft unaccounted currently is more likely for unannounced plans.

PA515

Fri May 29, 2015 6:33 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 141):
f this was done, ADL would only connect to LAX with the 2x weekly NZ3 flight which arrives in AKL at 0600, as NZ1 arrives at 0700 and NZ5 at 0800. I think its more important to connect ADL to LAX daily than to IAH.

Good point. NZ7 SFO-AKL 1945/0555 would connect. If NZ5 2200/0800 was changed to 2000/0600 and NZ3 changed to 2200/0800 that would work.

PA515

aerorobnz

Fri May 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Quoting PA515 (Reply 144):
Good point. NZ7 SFO-AKL 1945/0555 would connect. If NZ5 2200/0800 was changed to 2000/0600 and NZ3 changed to 2200/0800 that would work.

It seems like a big alteration for what is only a small contingent in terms of connecting traffic.
AKL-ADL rtn is specifically timed to allow for the connections it already has. IAH-SFO/LAX-AKL-ADL will suffice for the couple of people a day you'd be retiming the entire schedule for.

Zkpilot

Sun May 31, 2015 12:07 pm

In another thread it appears as if QF is finally pulling out of it's self inflicted dive and is in the process of gearing up to finally get the 787. Speculation is that they are planning on a return to SFO, serving YVR properly, and possibly returning to AKL-LAX. There are a few others but those 3 will have an effect on NZ. Question is: how will NZ respond?
Particularly the AKL-LAX route would be direct competition on the route for the first time in years. Would NZ look to return the favour a la AKL-MEL/PER-JNB? Or CHC-BNE-HKG? IIRC CX is limited in its Oz capacity so would codeshare on it giving NZ feed along with VA.

ZK-NBT

Sun May 31, 2015 12:22 pm

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 146):

Personally I don't see QF returning to AKL-LAX, more likely an AA operated service. It will take them a few years to have enough aircraft for many new routes with 3 refurbed 744s due to retire in 2017.

NZ have said they won't fly 1 stop, I think they keep doing what they are doing, there maybe minor tweaks but I don't see them flying long haul ex Australia just because QF are getting 787s.

SYDSpotter

Sun May 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 142):
Luxon does not rule out a direct Indias route at a later stage.

That's a 14+ hour flight, hard to make that work unless there is significant premium traffic. I think NZ are better off routing via SQ. Operating Oz-India non-stop has been problematic, and will probably be the same for NZ too.

Question is: how will NZ respond?

Sharpen their pricing, optimise their connections even more, add an additional frequency? I think the last option would be unwise as NZ probably have better uses to send aircraft rather than engage in a capacity war. When VA and DL jumped on the cosy Aus-LAX duopoly, there wasn't a major knee-jerk reaction from QF/UA. I guess they settled for smaller profits as opposed "super profits".

Would NZ look to return the favour a la AKL-MEL/PER-JNB? Or CHC-BNE-HKG? IIRC CX is limited in its Oz capacity so would codeshare on it giving NZ feed along with VA.

Does NZ have rights beyond ex-Australia to South Africa and HKG? I don't think there needs to be a tit-for-tat to be honest, NZ have got better things to do then to try and "return serve" against QF.

Zkpilot

Sun May 31, 2015 1:26 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 148):
Does NZ have rights beyond ex-Australia to South Africa and HKG? I don't think there needs to be a tit-for-tat to be honest, NZ have got better things to do then to try and "return serve" against QF.

NZ can fly beyond Oz so it's just a matter for the other countries. IIRC HKG is fine as is JNB.

Quoting ZK-NBT (Reply 147):

NZ have said they won't fly 1 stop, I think they keep doing what they are doing, there maybe minor tweaks but I don't see them flying long haul ex Australia just because QF are getting 787s.

It's been a while since NZ has said that and at the time I think they were referring to the likes of UK/EU or USA from Oz. Other destinations via Oz however I don't think would necessarily pose a problem. CHC-BNE-HKG for example could be operated by the same crew straight through potentially as it isn't that long. Or because NZ has so many flights it would be easy to position crew. Long/Mid Haul crew are already doing plenty of Tasman flying so a JNB flight wouldn't be too hard to do either.

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 148):

Quoting xiaotung (Reply 142):
Luxon does not rule out a direct Indias route at a later stage.

That's a 14+ hour flight, hard to make that work unless there is significant premium traffic. I think NZ are better off routing via SQ. Operating Oz-India non-stop has been problematic, and will probably be the same for NZ too.

I agree. Quite frankly India is (in economy class) a low yield market with high costs (if it's not bolted down it disappears). It is quite a long flight and anyone that has been on any flight to India will tell you it's not a pleasant flight (even the short hop from SIN). Better to leave it to SQ to operate it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos