SXDFC
Topic Author

WN's New Triple Crown One

Thu May 21, 2015 4:11 pm

Hello All:

Today A/C 409 should be out of the paint shop in the new "Triple Crown One" livery. As of now, I only saw one blurry distant picture of her, so if anyone has any pics of this A/C please share!

f18raider

RE: WN's New Triple Crown One

Thu May 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Looking forward to seeing her!

Looks like we need a new WN paint thread, as the last one got archived!

KELPkid

Thu May 21, 2015 10:35 pm

What will they do if American Pharaoh wins? I'm sure they'll alter the paint scheme in some way to honor that...

Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

LAX772LR

Thu May 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 2):
What will they do if American Pharaoh wins?

I think that applies to the nation in general... he'd probably be the most celebrated athlete of the new century!

Heck, when it looked like Funny Cide was going to do it in 2003, he was set to get his own limited edition line of Coke, not to mention all the merchandising that one can imagine.

And then there was the abject heartbreaker that was 1998, when Real Quiet missed the Triple Crown by barely 6inches:

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

KELPkid

Fri May 22, 2015 12:20 am

Isn't WN the trusted carrier that gets to fly the Triple Crown to the Belmont Stakes (for potential awarding of the trophy?). Thought that's why they created Triple Crown One...

N766UA

Fri May 22, 2015 1:43 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):

I can't tell if you're joking or not.... but no, that isn't it. Triple crown was a DOT award for on-time, baggage handling, and fewest complaints.

EA CO AS

Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 5):

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 4):

I can't tell if you're joking or not.... but no, that isn't it. Triple crown was a DOT award for on-time, baggage handling, and fewest complaints.

Which not only doesn't exist - WN marketing made up a trophy and then awarded it to themselves - but they've lagged in many of those metrics so it's commemorating something they haven't "won" in some time.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

av8orwalk

Fri May 22, 2015 2:44 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
but they've lagged in many of those metrics so it's commemorating something they haven't "won" in some time.

So using that logic, the Dallas Cowboys should take down all the banners at their stadium and stop wearing their Championship rings since they haven't won the Super Bowl since '96? Just curious.

It's a nice looking paint job. Looking forward to seeing it refreshed. Maybe it'll serve as a reminder to employees of how it used to be. And something to strive for again.

Flame away. I know it's coming.

Cheers!
Drew MCO
The safest place to be in an airplane crash is on the ground.

n562wn

Fri May 22, 2015 3:36 am

All that aside. Saw this today flying out of GEG. My apologies for the lackluster picture as it was taken with my Phone.

My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

EA CO AS

Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 am

Quoting av8orwalk (Reply 7):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):but they've lagged in many of those metrics so it's commemorating something they haven't "won" in some time.

So using that logic, the Dallas Cowboys should take down all the banners at their stadium and stop wearing their Championship rings since they haven't won the Super Bowl since '96? Just curious.

Of course not. Because the NFL actually has and hands out a Vince Lombardi Trophy and Championship rings.

The DOT doesn't award a trophy. Southwest created their own award and gave it to themselves.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

johnclipper

Fri May 22, 2015 11:47 am

Sounds like a North Korean thing!
"Flown every aircraft since the Wright Flyer" (guys, if you take this literally, then you need to get a life...)

rbavfan

Fri May 22, 2015 12:08 pm

Actually Southwest held number one in all three for several years. I believe they are still the only airline to get #1 in all three at the same time and the only one to do it multiple years in a row.

jfklganyc

Fri May 22, 2015 12:37 pm

He probably isn't joking

I had no idea what you were talking about

Triple Crown is a series of races...Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont.

When you see "Triple Crown One" one week after the Preakness (In Baltimore where WN is the largest carrier) and two weeks before the Belmont, any normal person would think another "sports livery" is on the way.

Triple crown was a DOT award for on-time, baggage handling, and fewest complaints.

2 airlines, 11 years...never heard of it. Maybe because any airline I ever worked for should and would earn the reverse award  

Long story short, being middle of horse race season, lack of pics, and paragraph that says nothing by OP, the title of the thread is misleading and should be modified.

Joshu

Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Wait, is the registration something other than N647SW?
Washington-Baltimore Spotters Group

727LOVER

Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Quoting JOshu (Reply 13):
Wait, is the registration something other than N647SW?

That got repainted already.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kory Crohn Photography

Clearly, the aircraft in the photo is a -700

[Edited 2015-05-22 08:45:21]
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

KELPkid

Fri May 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 12):
He probably isn't joking

I wasn't  

Had no idea it had to do with DOT performance data  Embarrasing to admit for someone who definitely has a fondness for WN!

jfklganyc

Fri May 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Don't be embarrassed...it is a made up company award

The OP should have explained himself better. And the thread should be retitled

LAX772LR

Fri May 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Meh, don't feel bad... I thought it was racing too, and I hate WN.  

Seemed like it made sense. Oh well.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

chrisair

Fri May 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Are the employee names still on the overhead bins on 647? Or did they get transferred to the new plane?

SKC

Sat May 23, 2015 1:19 am

Quoting chrisair (Reply 18):
Are the employee names still on the overhead bins on 647? Or did they get transferred to the new plane?

The names will be transferred to the new aircraft shortly. Since the bins of the -700 are different than the -300, they can't just swap bin doors, but all the names will be placed on the new one.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SXDFC
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2015 3:55 pm

Finally got some good pictures of the "New Triple Crown" :

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/737-8H4/IMG_0769_zpsyobtp5xe.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc368/737-8H4/IMG_0775_zps2cuwgepw.jpg

I hope someday soon WN comes up with another specialty plane dedicated to its employees that are currently working with the airline.

EA CO AS

Mon May 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 20):
I hope someday soon WN comes up with another specialty plane dedicated to its employees that are currently working with the airline.

How about a JD Power award one? They can create a nice second-place trophy for themselves....   

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos