Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

klm672
Topic Author

How's VX DAL-AUS Doing?

Thu May 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Hello. I recently checked out DAL-AUS on VX. I bought tickets while they were only $35 one way and flew them on Saturday (5/16/15). I took the 8:50AM (VX441) flight down and the 3:00PM (VX448) flight back. I was hoping to test out the "Virgin America way" as this was my first flight on them. On the flight to AUS they did not activate the IFE system. They did offer complimentary water, OJ, Beer (Heineken) cocktail (Austin Cocktails Cucumber Vodka Mojito)...which was nice. I was happy to get a free beer! The lady enjoyed her Austin cocktail. Must be this was done because it was a short flight, or are beers free on all VX flights? On the way back the IFE system was turned on, which was nice. My map did not work on my IFE, but the seat next to me did.

VX 441- 11 PAX
VX 448- ~20 PAX

A319, "The One Year old Virgin" did the honors both ways.

Is this on par load wise?

[Edited 2015-05-21 10:05:26]

[Edited 2015-05-21 10:05:47]

avi8

RE: How's VX DAL-AUS Doing?

Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Only 11 passengers on the flight? Virgin must be bleeding money.
avi8

SANFan

Thu May 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Quoting klm672 (Thread starter):
VX 441- 11 PAX
VX 448- ~20 PAX

Gulp! Hasn't it been said that these shuttle runs between the 2 Texas cities are mostly just place holders for Virgin's ops at DAL?

In any case, no mater what the flights are really for, seems like there will be some changes made in the market at these loads -- particularly on weekends...

Again, gulp!

bb

Dallas

Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 2):
Gulp! Hasn't it been said that these shuttle runs between the 2 Texas cities are mostly just place holders for Virgin's ops at DAL?

Yep - by having 5x DAL-AUS, they are "fully utilizing" their gates at DAL (20 flights at 2 gates - 10 per gate). If VX were to cut these flights or not fully utilize their gates, DL would be allowed to use VX's gates. Seeing that VX does not offer DAL-ATL and how bad they are bleeding money on this route, I have no idea why they don't let DL serve their 5 daily flights DAL-ATL, while make a little bit of $$$ from DL to use their gate.

SANFan

Thu May 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Quoting Dallas (Reply 3):
Yep - by having 5x DAL-AUS, they are "fully utilizing" their gates at DAL (20 flights at 2 gates - 10 per gate). If VX were to cut these flights or not fully utilize their gates, DL would be allowed to use VX's gates. Seeing that VX does not offer DAL-ATL and how bad they are bleeding money on this route

I guess it would be out of the question for VX to consider using those slots to start some 'real' routes to some of their other cities (such as LAS or SAN) that WN seems to keep adding flights to in order to keep up with demand out of Love...

I keep hearing about all these new planes VX is getting in the next year and can't believe that they can't manage to squeeze out at least a couple of mid-haul routes from DAL to some different cities.

It just seems like business as usual for VX, and that's not a compliment.

bb

dfwjim1

Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 4):
Quoting SANFan (Reply 4):

A couple of runs between DAL and FLL .might be the way to go?

ORD Boy 2

Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 pm

How about bringing back the ORD-DAL idea? They would not have to worry about any competition from UA or AA directly (though MDW-DAL is another story with WN) and it would get more people than AUS.

wnflyguy

Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 pm

VX should run 2 ORD and just to mess with DL run 3 ATL.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

enilria

Thu May 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 1):
Only 11 passengers on the flight? Virgin must be bleeding money.
Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 5):
A couple of runs between DAL and FLL .might be the way to go?

These flights are all about booting DL from DAL and it's a high price to pay for WN to benefit. FLL won't help unless they want to use a bunch more planes than AUS takes to gum up the same number of departure windows.

ridgid727

Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 8):
These flights are all about booting DL from DAL and it's a high price to pay for WN to benefit. FLL won't help unless they want to use a bunch more planes than AUS takes to gum up the same number of departure windows.

Your are absolutely right. It will also buy time for VX to be getting additional aircraft.

us330

Thu May 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Their DAL-AUS schedule isn't all that great for Dallas originating passengers.

The first flight out isn't until 850am or so, which means that passengers who want to go down for the day realistically can't have anything scheduled before 1030 a.m.

WN, on the other hand, has two flights scheduled to leave before 8 a.m., making 9 a.m. meetings possible.

For Austin originating passengers, the VX schedule is much better, as the first flight out is at 715 a.m, and the last flight from Dallas to Austin is at 9 p.m.

I understand that they probably don't have the gate space to run anything earlier out to Austin from Dallas, given that DCA and LGA depart at 7 and 710am respectively, and SFO and LAX depart at 8 am and 750 am respectively--but they might consider moving the first flight out to Austin to 630 or 620.

Okie

Thu May 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Quoting klm672 (Thread starter):
Saturday (5/16/15)

I would not put a Saturday representative of much other than Saturday loads.
I would be more interested in what the weekday load factors between DAL-AUS would be.

Gulp! Hasn't it been said that these shuttle runs between the 2 Texas cities are mostly just place holders for Virgin's ops at DAL

VX is going to have to do something profitable with the gates times as quickly as they can get airframes on the property. Cycling an airframe between DAL-AUS with low passenger counts has got to seriously impact the bottom line.

Okie

Thomaas

Fri May 22, 2015 12:50 am

I'm surprised they don't fly DAL-LAS which seems like a perfect market for VX. DAL-MCO would also make sense.

ridgid727

Fri May 22, 2015 1:11 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 12):
I'm surprised they don't fly DAL-LAS which seems like a perfect market for VX. DAL-MCO would also make sense.

That has kind of surprised me too. LAS contrary to what a lot of banter on this site says, pulls some very good premium last minute fares from cities like Dallas, Chicago, Columbus, etc.

Okie

Fri May 22, 2015 1:33 am

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 12):

I think the issue is that VX just does not have enough airframes to expand DAL and has to rely on the DAL-AUS route to block DL out of the picture at DAL.

Somewhat surprised VX just did not go hunting for a couple of used airframes to lease short term (2-4years) to expand DAL when DL started forcing the gate issue.

They are basically tying up a frame and adding a lot of cycles for a short route and can not be very cost effective with low load factors to hold gate space.

I expect once the new airframe deliveries happen that VX will scale back AUS.

Okie

TWA772LR

Fri May 22, 2015 1:46 am

They are more than welcome to start IAH. An early morning flight and evening flight would do just fine for commuters.

I think DAL-AUS itself isn't a bad idea, but 5x daily is.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Okie

Fri May 22, 2015 2:20 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 15):
They are more than welcome to start IAH. An early morning flight and evening flight would do just fine for commuters

That was one of my thoughts, but I suspect they need more than a couple flights a day to offset ground expenses and above the wing. That infrastructure is already in place at AUS.

Okie

TWA772LR

Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 am

Quoting Okie (Reply 16):

They can do the triangle. Do as I said earlier for DAL-IAH and also AUS-IAH for the commuters. Tech is big in Houston too, especially with HP having a huge campus in The Woodlands.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

freakyrat

Fri May 22, 2015 3:00 am

Virgin is using DGS for ground servicing at DAL and could cut a deal with DL to use on of their gates if they want to.

Okie

Fri May 22, 2015 3:01 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 17):
They can do the triangle. Do as I said earlier for DAL-IAH and also AUS-IAH for the commuters. Tech is big in Houston too, especially with HP having a huge campus in The Woodlands.

I suspect they could do lots of trial and error carving out intra-Texas profitable routes. The big issue is they just do not have enough airframes to keep those 2 gates busy all day at DAL to keep DL out which seems to be priority number 1.
The most economical way to do that is DAL-AUS right now but I think on the plus side that it is forcing VX to change their planning somewhat. There may be some other changes coming when they get more frames but VX seems to prefer longer routes which is more in line with their premium product offering.

Okie

wnflyguy

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:39 am

Talking with a VX friend DAL-AUS is showing stronger booking in JUNE.
And actually showing better revenue returns than the Short lived SNA-SFO market.
But as of now it's been more of a WN pilot and FA employees shuttle than revenue passengers.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos