Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AF185
Topic Author

Mandarin Airlines And Skyteam

Fri May 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi all,

I flew Mandarin Airlines a few days ago. As a Skyteam Elite member, I gave my card at check-in, but ground staff told me they are not part of Skyteam; And looked unsure. I was surprised considering they're part of CI, and I thought they were a Skyteam affiliate.

Despite all that my Skyteam number and status were indeed mentioned on my boarding pass.

So what is their status with Skyteam? Are they going to become a full member anytime soon?

YLWbased

RE: Mandarin Airlines And Skyteam

Fri May 22, 2015 4:15 pm

This is the reason why Skyteam is the worse Alliance out of all three out there.
Mandarin Airlines is indeed a Member affiliates of Skyteam, however skyteam privileges only applies to Mandarin Airlines flight that are operated by China Airlines metal.

jetblue1965

Fri May 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 1):
This is the reason why Skyteam is the worse Alliance out of all three out there.
Mandarin Airlines is indeed a Member affiliates of Skyteam, however skyteam privileges only applies to Mandarin Airlines flight that are operated by China Airlines metal.

To be fair, this problem exists in other alliances too. Even though SQ is a major anchor of Star in SE Asia, none of SilkAir, Scoot, or Tiger can enjoy Star benefits.

This is a major disadvantage, considering KA is part of oneworld even though it's a full subsidiary of CX.

YLWbased

Fri May 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 2):
To be fair, this problem exists in other alliances too. Even though SQ is a major anchor of Star in SE Asia, none of SilkAir, Scoot, or Tiger can enjoy Star benefits.

I understand what you mean, but I think having it as a clear cut policy like SQ is better than what CI have in place (valid of flights that operates by CI metal).

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 2):
This is a major disadvantage, considering KA is part of oneworld even though it's a full subsidiary of CX.

What do you mean? KA tickets enjoys full OW privileges.

YLWbased

jetblue1965

Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting YLWbased (Reply 3):

What do you mean? KA tickets enjoys full OW privileges.

The disadvantage that Star has. KA is full oneworld, which really helps with CX pax connecting to China.

On the other hand, MI is not part of Star, so SQ pax going to secondary cities in SE Asia are screwed like no tomorrow.

AF185
Topic Author

Sat May 23, 2015 1:28 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 4):
On the other hand, MI is not part of Star, so SQ pax going to secondary cities in SE Asia are screwed like no tomorrow.

I flew Silkair a few weeks ago and did earn Krisflyer / Star miles on this flight. The booking was made through SQ though

I would judge the quality of an alliance based on more factors (network, benefits, redemption availabilities..etc). So far I am quite happy with Skyteam (I am also *A and OW member)

LAX772LR

Sat May 23, 2015 2:55 am

That's not only is that statement in no way factual, but it's also disingenuous as it suggests that this doesn't occur in Star and OneWorld..... it does.

That said, I thought SkyTeam did away with "affiliate" membership, and with them, someone's either in or they're not?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos