Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Sitting Next To AA COO In PHX Lounge

Tue May 26, 2015 12:01 am

Sitting next to AA's COO in the lounge. Listening to interesting conversations between he and his family and employees. He's been stuck at PHX since 1:00 trying to get back to DFW. Looks like he's on my flight. Anyway, just kind of neat to be sitting next to such a high up in an industry we love.
Whatever

Natflyer

RE: Sitting Next To AA COO In PHX Lounge

Tue May 26, 2015 12:16 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Thread starter):
He's been stuck at PHX since 1:00 trying to get back to DFW

Now that´s getting a taste of your own medicine...

phlwok

Tue May 26, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting Natflyer (Reply 1):

Now that´s getting a taste of your own medicine...

With the weather in Texas today, everyone is pretty much in the same boat, with the latest squall line having just cleared the Dallas area in the past few hours after disrupting things for most of the afternoon. IAH is next, though I would imagine most of the flights there will be complete by the time the line arrives there.

Miami

Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 am

Ask him when a MIA's expansion is happening!   
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

DocLightning

Tue May 26, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting PHLwok (Reply 2):
With the weather in Texas today, everyone is pretty much in the same boat,

Interesting choice of words/metaphors. Highly apropos. But everyone is NOT in the same plane.  
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

strfyr51

Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 am

It's nice to see a COO using his passes on HIS airline. flying Standby is Not for the faint of heart. Even on your OWN Airline. You can bet He's looking at the loads as well.

barney captain

Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 5):
It's nice to see a COO using his passes on HIS airline. flying Standby is Not for the faint of heart. Even on your OWN Airline. You can bet He's looking at the loads as well.

What makes you think he was stand-by?

I highly suspect his "being stuck" had everything to do with the wx, and nothing to do with the loads.

[Edited 2015-05-25 19:31:58]
Southeast Of Disorder

northwestEWR

Tue May 26, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 6):

At Delta, the senior managers/VPs/COO/CEO fly on standby for personal travel like everyone else.
If a Delta employee is traveling for work, we can be booked Positive Space.

Given that this is PHX->DFW, you could guess it's work but maybe he has family back in PHX or something.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

barney captain

Tue May 26, 2015 3:40 am

Huh.

For some reason the Senior VP's, the Board of Directors and all of their dependents are entitled to unlimited positive space travel on WN.

Herb used to just ride around in the cockpit.
Southeast Of Disorder

nutsaboutplanes

Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 am

He is a nice guy.....you should say hi.

Robert is one hell of a manager and a down to earth person.....no executive ego with him unless you don't do your job.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

KD5MDK

Tue May 26, 2015 6:37 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 7):
At Delta, the senior managers/VPs/COO/CEO fly on standby for personal travel like everyone else.

Or they could buy a ticket?

B737900ER

Tue May 26, 2015 9:55 am

Quoting KD5MDK (Reply 10):

Yeah. Hard to imagine a CEO of a major corporation who makes millions of dollars a year choosing to fly standby.

antoniemey

Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting B737900ER (Reply 11):
Yeah. Hard to imagine a CEO of a major corporation who makes millions of dollars a year choosing to fly standby.

Those who make it are often loathe to spend it.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

RWA380

Tue May 26, 2015 10:46 am

Quoting B737900ER (Reply 11):

I think it's admirable that the top brass travels like the rest of the company, that's good relations when you travel as any other in the organization.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the experience & have some overheard tidbit to share, either way, a good experience for you to the O.P.

[Edited 2015-05-26 03:47:22]
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

b747400erf

Tue May 26, 2015 10:49 am

No privacy today the poor guy cannot have a conversation with his family waiting for a delayed plane without someone instantly taking to the internet to start talking about what they overheard.

Revelation

Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 14):
No privacy today the poor guy cannot have a conversation with his family waiting for a delayed plane without someone instantly taking to the internet to start talking about what they overheard.

Yep. Get used to it. I'm surprised we don't have a video to look at yet.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

b747400erf

Tue May 26, 2015 11:49 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 15):

Yep. Get used to it. I'm surprised we don't have a video to look at yet.

some people have no respect for each other, and even more do not respect other people's privacy.

jfklganyc

Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 am

Quoting barney captain (Reply 6):

I highly suspect his "being stuck" had everything to do with the wx, and nothing to do with the loads.

Absolutely. I love when people believe everyone at the airline is equal. Guy probably has positive space travel for him and his family as part of his compensation. And it probably continues for life after he's gone.

You should see the people I see on my flights. Like ghosts back from the executive suite dead.

Revelation

Tue May 26, 2015 11:54 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 16):
some people have no respect for each other, and even more do not respect other people's privacy.

I think people have always had little respect for other people's privacy, and today's tech, where so many people carry around a HD camera and mike and internet connection everywhere they go, just makes obvious something that has always been the case.

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 1:33 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 14):

Take a chill pill bud. I didn't take any pictures or video of him or his family. If the guy is sitting 3 ft from me, it's pretty hard to not overhear him chat. I didn't intrude on him or anything like that. I was just pretty excited to see someone so far up the chain sitting that close to me -- it's never happened before.

He looked like a very nice guy. I heard him mentioning his kids had school this morning so they were really trying to get back and that he would just stay in PHX another day if need be. I can only assume they were on vacation since his wife and kiddos were with him.
Whatever

b747400erf

Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 18):
I think people have always had little respect for other people's privacy, and today's tech, where so many people carry around a HD camera and mike and internet connection everywhere they go, just makes obvious something that has always been the case.

Many are sure very loud about their demand of a right to privacy, both against companies that sell their data, and by governments that use surveillance.

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 19):
Take a chill pill bud.

I'm not angry, just pointing out the truth, that people cannot sit anywhere in public without their image or conversation instantly being posted online.

Next time just post that the executive is stuck in an airport with his family trying to get back home, rather than bring up about all the juicy private conversation details you overheard. Have some respect.

Yakflyer

Tue May 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 5):

I promise you senior managers at all 3 legacy airlines have positive space first class privileges for themselves, their families and if they retire from that airline the benefit continues for life. Wasn't always that way, but it has been for at least the past 15 years.

Never the less it's good for executives to experience the problems us mere mortals must contend with. I'm surprised he isn't hiding out in one of the lounges.

[Edited 2015-05-26 11:16:13]

rangercarp

Tue May 26, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting Yakflyer (Reply 21):
I promise you senior managers at all 3 legacy airlines have positive space first class privileges for themselves, their families and if they retire from that airline the benefit continues for life. Wasn't always that way, but it has been for at least the past 15 years.

Above does not agree with below.

Who is right?
______

I'm surprised he isn't hiding out in one of the lounges.

Did you read the OP?

Sitting next to AA's COO in the lounge.
iwgbtp!

barney captain

Tue May 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Quoting rangercarp (Reply 22):
I'm surprised he isn't hiding out in one of the lounges.

Did you read the OP?

Are non-rev's normally allowed access to the lounges? Not in my experience.

Why not? The OP is referring to AA, the second quote referenced DL. Different airlines, different policies.

[Edited 2015-05-26 12:20:58]
Southeast Of Disorder

malaysia

Tue May 26, 2015 7:34 pm

Quoting barney captain (Reply 23):

some airlines allow free access if you already are awarded a F/J seat for an upcoming flight already, or buy a day pass or have a club card etc. nothing stops a non-rev from signing up for lounge membership
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Kaiarahi

Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 20):
just pointing out the truth, that people cannot sit anywhere in public without their image or conversation instantly being posted online.

You're dead wrong. It's illegal in most jurisdictions to appropriate someone's image and post it without their explicit or implicit consent.

Many are sure very loud about their demand of a right to privacy, both against companies that sell their data, and by governments that use surveillance.

Government surveillance that is not explicitly authorized by legislation, executive orders, or similar authority is illegal in most jurisdictions. As to companies, you should read the fine print of any contract or transaction you enter into, in which you may be agreeing to the sale or use of the data. If you haven't consented, it's illegal in most jurisdictions.

Just the facts.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

hOMSaR

Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 pm

This thread is worthless without...

...rumors of overhearing him say AA was going to launch the 757neo.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

Polot

Tue May 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting malaysia (Reply 24):
some airlines allow free access if you already are awarded a F/J seat for an upcoming flight already, or buy a day pass or have a club card etc. nothing stops a non-rev from signing up for lounge membership

He is also the COO...

It is likely that some of the lounge access rules would be bent for him and his family.

OB1504

Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Until recently, AA prohibited employees from holding Admirals Club memberships and prohibited all non-revenue passengers from purchasing day passes.

northwestEWR

Tue May 26, 2015 8:01 pm

At least at Delta, employees can purchase SkyClub membership like everyone else. The only restriction is they don't allow employees in uniform to use the club. I believe there's a 10% discount for employees.

flyfree727

Tue May 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Everyone speculates..
He was on a full fare ticket.. and he has exec platinum status. He may very well have an admirals club membership.. AA employees are eligible to purchase them.

AA ORD

[Edited 2015-05-26 13:09:40]

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 pm

I'm not angry, just pointing out the truth, that people cannot sit anywhere in public without their image or conversation instantly being posted online.

Next time just post that the executive is stuck in an airport with his family trying to get back home, rather than bring up about all the juicy private conversation details you overheard. Have some respect.

Next time I won't just say "an executive is stuck at the airport with family...". I didn't reveal anything "juicy" or anything private for that matter. I didn't bother him one bit and I haven't done one thing disrespectful. I didn't make him talk out loud to other employees so that it was audible to others.
Whatever

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 30):
Everyone speculates..
He was on a full fare ticket.. and he has exec platinum status. He may very well have an admirals club membership.. AA employees are eligible to purchase them.

Great info. I didn't see their boarding passes, but the other "off duty" employee he was speaking in the lounge with ended up right behind us in the First Class line waiting to board and I did catch a glimpse of his boarding pass and it did say "EP", so I'm guessing he is Executive Platinum. I have no idea what his roll in the organization is, but can safely assume he works for corporate.

If they are indeed allowed to purchase a Lounge Membership, I'm sure he can afford it making over $6 million a year in total compensation (that is public information found online, by the way so don't get your panties in a wad)  

[Edited 2015-05-26 13:29:12]
Whatever

G-CIVP

Tue May 26, 2015 8:52 pm

Did you tell him that there is a wealth of information on these pages which he could utilise?

FriscoHeavy
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 pm

G-CIVP

I should have told him that
Whatever

KBJCpilot

Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Make sure you ask him about the upcoming PDX expansion in partnership with AS. And if they will be dropping their ORD hub in favor of DEN when UA abandons DEN. Finally, get his opinion on whether LAX is a bloodbath and why they won't but A380's for the LAX-JFK route.
Samsonite, I was way off!

seat38a

Tue May 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Please let him know that the warmed nuts and single drink in PAID first class from ORD to LAX last Saturday night was complete BS. United and Delta offers a snack service / basket of some sort in first class. When I asked the FA if they had any snacks, I could see the embarassement in her face as she offered me more warmed nuts.

32andBelow

Tue May 26, 2015 9:54 pm

An AA exec flying from PHX to DFW? How is this not cobus? I am sure his flight was just delayed.

ripcordd

Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 pm

I remember the aluminum can lady a male fa that dressed up as a female fa would rant and rave about aa and the exec's and he posted a travel list I think it was carty going to maui bumping 4 paid F passengers to coach so he can take a vacation.

ripcordd

Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqHZDomApQ

Yakflyer

Tue May 26, 2015 11:37 pm

Did you read the OP?

Guess not closely enough!!  

Who is right?

Let's just say I retired from Delta and one of my closest friends is a retired (sacked) senior VP from American. My friend was able to keep his FC positive space free travel benefits for himself and his family even though being sacked and I think I know a little about Delta.

So you decide for yourself what you think is correct.

afcjets

Tue May 26, 2015 11:58 pm

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 30):
Everyone speculates.. He was on a full fare ticket.. and he has exec platinum status. He may very well have an admirals club membership.. AA employees are eligible to purchase them.

I am surprised unlimited positive space first class travel for him and his immediate family (when travelling with him at least) is not part of his compensation like it is or was at most airlines for VPs and up. Was he in First? Perhaps him being on a paid ticket is a smokescreen for AA to compensate their top executives competitively. Who paid for that ticket is the key. If it was indeed full fare, as in full Y or full F, to me that is a red flag American bought the ticket. I can't imagine anyone making even more than $200,000 per year flying standby (or $100,000 per year if single) with 90% average load factors, and especially on a holiday weekend and hub to hub at that, and only buying a ticket last minute when the weather and or flight falls apart (as far as it looked good for standby yesterday but not today).

[Edited 2015-05-26 17:01:50]

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 1:01 am

People really aren't very loud about their rights to privacy. The fact that the Snowden revelations (sic!) didn't change anything and the Patriot Act still gets renewed convinces me of it. I asked all my friends about the Snowden stuff and I'd summarize the response as "meh". They realize using the internet robs them of privacy and in general they accept it as the price to be paid to use "free" web sites.

I've re-read what he wrote:

Sitting next to AA's COO in the lounge. Listening to interesting conversations between he and his family and employees. He's been stuck at PHX since 1:00 trying to get back to DFW. Looks like he's on my flight. Anyway, just kind of neat to be sitting next to such a high up in an industry we love.

and am having a hard time finding any "juicy private conversation details". If there were, you might have a point, but that point may be that a very savvy and wealthy guy should be coaching up his kids about not spreading "juicy private conversation details" in a public space.

ualbq200

Wed May 27, 2015 1:40 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 25):
You're dead wrong. It's illegal in most jurisdictions to appropriate someone's image and post it without their explicit or implicit consent.

Wrong. You're in public. You should have no expectation of privacy, because you're not going to get any.

ripcordd

Wed May 27, 2015 2:15 am

That's great for delta and their culture wish other airlines followed that...But nobody liked carty and him and his family bumping full fare passengers to coach during BK hit a nerve for everyone...

Jerseyguy

Wed May 27, 2015 2:26 am

Quoting ualbq200 (Reply 43):
Wrong. You're in public. You should have no expectation of privacy, because you're not going to get any.

Pictures are ok as long as they are not being used for commerical purposes (advertising, etc).

Has anyone ever heard something juicy like a route announcement being discussed by airport or airline officals? Months before the announcement I was sitting in TTN eating and the airport manager and a unidentifed county employee (TTN owned by Mercer County) were talking about the route to NAS on F9. I didn't mention it except for a few close people from this board but a month or two later, it was announced that F9 was indeed doing IAD-NAS and TTN-NAS.

[Edited 2015-05-26 19:37:22]

afcjets

Wed May 27, 2015 2:42 am

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 44):
But nobody liked carty and him and his family bumping full fare passengers to coach during BK hit a nerve for everyone

That's right I forgot airline executives not only fly positive space for free, it is not even necessary for the flight or first class cabin to be open, they can bump anyone off a flight or back to coach, except for another high level executive at the airline. I guess Delta is the exception though. I would still not be surprised if they can charge unlimited Delta tickets to their corporate Delta credit card (I am not talking about Skymiles AMEX) for them and their family members and it only appears they have the same flight privileges as other employees. Or perhaps I am being a bit cynical.

northwestEWR

Wed May 27, 2015 2:56 am

Quoting afcjets (Reply 46):
That's right I forgot airline executives not only fly positive space for free, it is not even necessary for the flight or first class cabin to be open, they can bump anyone off a flight or back to coach, except for another high level executive at the airline. I guess Delta is the exception though. I would still not be surprised if they can charge unlimited Delta tickets to their corporate Delta credit card (I am not talking about Skymiles AMEX) for them and their family members and it only appears they have the same flight privileges as other employees. Or perhaps I am being a bit cynical.

I don't know why Delta employees would pay Delta to fly Delta with Delta's money. That makes no sense and it's why Positive Space was invented in the first place.

afcjets

Wed May 27, 2015 3:17 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 47):
Quoting afcjets (Reply 46):That's right I forgot airline executives not only fly positive space for free, it is not even necessary for the flight or first class cabin to be open, they can bump anyone off a flight or back to coach, except for another high level executive at the airline. I guess Delta is the exception though. I would still not be surprised if they can charge unlimited Delta tickets to their corporate Delta credit card (I am not talking about Skymiles AMEX) for them and their family members and it only appears they have the same flight privileges as other employees. Or perhaps I am being a bit cynical.

I don't know why Delta employees would pay Delta to fly Delta with Delta's money. That makes no sense and it's why Positive Space was invented in the first place.

The keyword I used that you are quoting from me is "appears". As evidenced by comments from others here, it is good for employee morale to think VPs have to fly standby for personal travel just like any other nonrev, or they have to buy their own ticket, just like any other employee would who did not want to risk flying standby. Positive space was primarily invented for company business travel, not personal travel.

[Edited 2015-05-26 20:20:10]

northwestEWR

Wed May 27, 2015 3:19 am

Quoting afcjets (Reply 48):
The keyword I used that you are quoting from me is "appears". As evidenced by comments from others here, it is good for employee morale to think VPs have to fly standby for personal travel just like any other nonrev, or they have to buy their own ticket, just like any other employee would who did not want to risk standby.

If AA has the same rules as DL, then he'd only get standby for personal travel and given that his wife/kids were with him... sounds like a vacation to me. Buying your own tickets seems like a good idea. He can certainly afford it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos