Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

afcjets

RE: Sitting Next To AA COO In PHX Lounge

Wed May 27, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 49):
If AA has the same rules as DL, then he'd only get standby for personal travel and given that his wife/kids were with him... sounds like a vacation to me. Buying your own tickets seems like a good idea. He can certainly afford it.

They don't. At least they didn't back when Carty was CEO as post 44 mentions. Delta would be the exception today, unless other airlines have changed their policy in recent years in light of 89% average load factors. At a minimum I am almost certain if they don't get positive space for personal travel, they definitely get club memberships and high level FF status without having to qualify.

But I agree, it is no big deal for him to buy tickets, even lots of hourly employees do when they are going on vacation.

EA CO AS

Wed May 27, 2015 3:50 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 25):
It's illegal in most jurisdictions to appropriate someone's image and post it without their explicit or implicit consent.

Incorrect. You have no expectation of privacy when in a public setting.

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 47):
I don't know why Delta employees would pay Delta to fly Delta with Delta's money.

Not sure how DL works, but at AS our officers (MD level and above) fly on what are full-fare revenue tickets purchased via an AS commercial account. This is for accounting purposes and also permits the traveler to space-available upgrades based on the fare paid and their Mileage Plan elite level status (they're typically granted elite-level status as part of their compensation while with the company).
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

b747400erf

Wed May 27, 2015 4:26 am

You're dead wrong. It's illegal in most jurisdictions to appropriate someone's image and post it without their explicit or implicit consent.
Government surveillance that is not explicitly authorized by legislation, executive orders, or similar authority is illegal in most jurisdictions. As to companies, you should read the fine print of any contract or transaction you enter into, in which you may be agreeing to the sale or use of the data. If you haven't consented, it's illegal in most jurisdictions.

Do you read the internet? because there are examples all over if you need my help in finding them.

LAXtoATL

Wed May 27, 2015 4:38 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 7):

At Delta, the senior managers/VPs/COO/CEO fly on standby for personal travel like everyone else.

That is absolutely false!!!

Not only do they have PS benefits for personal travel, it is PS first/business class (except Richard who prefers to travel in economy (at least domestically)). Unless it has changed in recent years that also applies to their pass riders.

I cannot image any C-level executive at any major airline that does not have confirmed travel as part of their benefits. These individuals negotiate their compensation and it's a perk that doesn't really cost the company much to extend.

RWA380

Wed May 27, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 51):
Incorrect. You have no expectation of privacy when in a public setting.

That is correct here in the US, there is no expectation of privacy in public places, therefore images & overheard conversations are part of the jungle & should have anyone think twice about what they say outside of closed doors.

How do you think the paparazzi makes their money? Do not confuse the dislike of people who invade others privacy for monetary gain & those who happen to spot a person of interest & mentions it online.

There is obviously no ill will intended by the O.P. & he was not divulging this gentleman's secrets, or posting pictures, the O.P. saw someone else, he said something about it, big deal & good for him for what he saw as a cool encounter.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

bjorn14

Wed May 27, 2015 10:25 am

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 49):

He's in the airline biz like everybody else for FREE travel. So why pay if you don't have to.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

bobnwa

Wed May 27, 2015 11:22 am

At Delta, the senior managers/VPs/COO/CEO fly on standby for personal travel like everyone else.

That is true. however many of the pro union people would not agree.

Quoting Yakflyer (Reply 21):
I promise you senior managers at all 3 legacy airlines have positive space first class privileges for themselves, their families and if they retire from that airline the benefit continues for life

That is not true for personal travel nor has it been in the past.

airzim

Wed May 27, 2015 3:38 pm

Quoting flyfree727 (Reply 30):
Everyone speculates..
He was on a full fare ticket.. and he has exec platinum status. He may very well have an admirals club membership.. AA employees are eligible to purchase them.

At United, I know a few VPs that are granted GS status as part of their employment package. Maybe AA grants Executive Platinum for their senior execs.

I have no idea on their pass privileges when they travel for pleasure.

ripcordd

Wed May 27, 2015 3:42 pm

I don't see why they need to grant the vp's any status since most fly confirmed F and have the ability to bump payed F passengers to coach

TWAL1011

Wed May 27, 2015 4:54 pm

Unlimited positive space first class for exec and dependents, highest status of FQTV program, membership for exec and spouse in Admirals Club. This is all booked to a UATP cards as a full fare ticket so that appears as full fare booking in system and bypasses the PS/NRSA listing process. In the background, the associated revenue is reversed so it processes as a ZERO fare ticket in the revenue accounting system and the exec is taxed on the fair value of the ticket for IRS purposes. However, they are provided a further allowance to reimburse them for their tax liability.

Kaiarahi

Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm

You have no expectation of privacy when in a public setting.

It's a little more nuanced than that. Try posting an image of someone changing their kid's diaper in a public washroom and see what happens. And please note that I said "most jurisdictions". Aubrey v. Éditions Vice-Versa surveys much of the case law: http://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/1608/index.do

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 52):
Do you read the internet? because there are examples all over if you need my help in finding them.

No, I don't read the internet. I access a.net by telepathy. But I actually prefer to rely on my expertise in privacy law.
Empty vessels make the most noise.

United1

Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 60):

You have no expectation of privacy when in a public setting.

It's a little more nuanced than that. Try posting an image of someone changing their kid's diaper in a public washroom and see what happens.

That's quite a bit different than someone sitting in the middle of an airline club. Applying CA law (not AZ I know but probably close enough) you would have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a washroom however not when you are simply sitting in the public areas of the club...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

northwestEWR

Wed May 27, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 53):
except Richard who prefers to travel in economy (at least domestically)

I've always heard this but I haven't witnessed it myself. It says a lot when a millionaire CEO sits in the back on his own planes.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

RWA380

Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 61):
That's quite a bit different than someone sitting in the middle of an airline club. Applying CA law (not AZ I know but probably close enough) you would have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a washroom however not when you are simply sitting in the public areas of the club...

There is indeed an expectation of privacy in a public washroom. There is no expectation of privacy in a public place, but in a private club there is an expectation of privacy, but only to the limitations of the clubs policies.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

LAXtoATL

Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 am

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 56):

That is true. however many of the pro union people would not agree.

I am definitely not pro Union!!! But I must disagree because I have first experience. I know managers that travel PS F for personal travel and have even taken vacation with one once. So I am not guessing, I know this to be a fact.

Now it might involve some funky booking process like below (I have no idea how it get books)...

Quoting TWAL1011 (Reply 59):
Unlimited positive space first class for exec and dependents, highest status of FQTV program, membership for exec and spouse in Admirals Club. This is all booked to a UATP cards as a full fare ticket so that appears as full fare booking in system and bypasses the PS/NRSA listing process. In the background, the associated revenue is reversed so it processes as a ZERO fare ticket in the revenue accounting system and the exec is taxed on the fair value of the ticket for IRS purposes. However, they are provided a further allowance to reimburse them for their tax liability.

Sounds very logical.

Even if you don't work for an airline a lot execs at Fortune 500 companies have personal travel allowances as part of their compensation package, so it only makes since that an airline exec would have it.

Quoting northwestEWR (Reply 62):
I've always heard this but I haven't witnessed it myself. It says a lot when a millionaire CEO sits in the back on his own planes.

I've never witnessed it either, but I've heard enough stories from credible sources to know it is true. It definitely says a lot. Even if he didn't want to travel up front for free, he could certainly afford to pay for it himself, but he actually prefers to fly in the back and talk to passengers.
What I want to know is if he does this for international as well or just domestic? I assume it is just domestic because I can't imagine him being able to function in a meeting after a 10 flight in economy, but if he does travel economy for international as well... WOW!

ckfred

Thu May 28, 2015 12:35 am

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 12):
Quoting B737900ER (Reply 11):
Yeah. Hard to imagine a CEO of a major corporation who makes millions of dollars a year choosing to fly standby.

Those who make it are often loathe to spend it.

Not necessarily loathe to spend it, but rather, know that a job could end at any time. I know some people who some might describe as cheap, until you learn how their families had a rough time during the Depression.

Maverick623

Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 am

At US Airways and the new American, company officers receive lifetime unlimited, unrestricted positive space travel benefits for themselves, spouses, and dependents in any class of service as part of their compensation package.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

northwestEWR

Thu May 28, 2015 1:23 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 64):
I know managers that travel PS F for personal travel and have even taken vacation with one once. So I am not guessing, I know this to be a fact.

Maybe they've been grandfathered in? I don't know but I understand that PS F/Y is now for business only. It could also be they actually bought a ticket using the company credit card. Details at this point. Clearly AA is different.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 66):

At US Airways and the new American, company officers receive lifetime unlimited, unrestricted positive space travel benefits for themselves, spouses, and dependents in any class of service as part of their compensation package.

I think bobnwa was referring to Delta.
Northwest Airlines - Now You're Flying Smart

ca2ohHP

Thu May 28, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting nutsaboutplanes (Reply 9):

He is a nice guy.....you should say hi.

Robert is one hell of a manager and a down to earth person.....no executive ego with him unless you don't do your job.

I don't post here often, but Robert is a class act. One of the few upper level managers that sent me a personalized goodbye when I left US Airways and one of the few reasons I miss working there.

bobnwa

Thu May 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 64):
I am definitely not pro Union!!! But I must disagree because I have first experience. I know managers that travel PS F for personal travel and have even taken vacation with one once. So I am not guessing, I know this to be a fact.

The facts that I know say the exact opposite.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos