Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CV880
Topic Author

DL Restarting OAK-ATL Eff Oct1

Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Delta is restarting one roundtrip OAK-ATL eff Oct 1st. This appears to be in response to the Southwest announcement of their service beginning on Nov 1st. The flight departs ATL at 1730, arriving OAK at 1953, and departs back to ATL at 2230, arriving ATL for the early morning bank of flights. The equipment is a 738.

[Edited 2015-05-26 10:20:27]

enilria

RE: DL Restarting OAK-ATL Eff Oct1

Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 pm

Posted May 24.

OAG Changes 5/29/2015: AA/DL/UA/US/WN (by enilria May 24 2015 in Civil Aviation)

psa1011

Tue May 26, 2015 6:41 pm

Finally OAK is getting some more DL service beyond SLC/LAX, although an eastbound red-eye doesn't work for connecting to Europe/S. America etc.

MSPNWA

Tue May 26, 2015 7:02 pm

DL must not like an uncontested flight to ATL. This would have been a rare instance where DL does not compete with another carrier for a flight to ATL. Maybe WN should have kept SFO.

jetblue1965

Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 3):
DL must not like an uncontested flight to ATL. This would have been a rare instance where DL does not compete with another carrier for a flight to ATL. Maybe WN should have kept SFO.

In theory, WN should have both. OAK to feed their focus city, but SFO for the O&D types. I've flown into OAK once on jetblue ... it's a "less than glamorous" trek for anyone heading for SF city or the peninsular.

psa1011

Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 4):

Actually with the BART extension to OAK last November, it's just as good as the SFO trip.

DesertFlyer

Tue May 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I live near downtown San Francisco, and as far as I'm concerned, SFO & OAK are both equally easy to get to now. I think OAK costs ~$1.50 more, but not enough to make a big difference. I've been flying UA on SFO-ATL recently and all of the flights have been completely full. It'll be nice to have a DL option from OAK.

Freshside3

Wed May 27, 2015 3:58 am

It wi

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 2):
Finally OAK is getting some more DL service beyond SLC/LAX, although an eastbound red-eye doesn't work for connecting to Europe/S. America etc.

Yes, when I first saw the headline, I had presumed the flight would be in the early morning, to connect with all the international connections.

This is good for OAK. But it could be better.

SANFan

Wed May 27, 2015 4:43 am

As often happens, DL is starting the w/c longhaul route with a redeye (e/b), saving some a/c time and lowering the break-even point for the new route.

If the flight does well, the carrier will undoubtedly reschedule it to be more OAK-friendly. (Again, as they often do with new w/c longhauls. That is precisely how they started off SAN-JFK and PDX-JFK service years ago.)

bb

LAX772LR

Wed May 27, 2015 4:57 am

This is how many attempts at this route now by DL... 3? 4?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

mayor

Wed May 27, 2015 3:43 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 9):

I remember the first one. Helped a co-worker at ORD, in the late 70s, drive out to OAK when he transferred there.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

roseflyer

Wed May 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 4):

In theory, WN should have both. OAK to feed their focus city, but SFO for the O&D types. I've flown into OAK once on jetblue ... it's a "less than glamorous" trek for anyone heading for SF city or the peninsular.

As a whole Oakland airport is rather unattractive and in a terrible part of town. Fortunately it now has BART, so it is just as easy to get to downtown San Francisco. The good news with Oakland is you will almost never ever have a weather delay unlike SFO which is under flow control 50% of days. Parking is also affordable for anyone driving from that side of the bay.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

FlyASAGuy2005

Wed May 27, 2015 3:56 pm

This reminds me of a couple years ago when US announced SLC-CLT. There were somr that said DL wouldnt respond and others thst said they would. Then there were those that said they (DL) wouldnt last long. OAK folks need not worry. So long as WN stays in the market DL will
What gets measured gets done.

Freshside3

Wed May 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 9):

But this time around, you have no OAK to DTW, DFW, MSP, IAH, IAD, or ORD to "steal any thunder" from it.

Shields

Wed May 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Wondering what you all think of this and other recent DL adds (SEA-MCO; MCO-GRU are foremost on my mind). I understand that fuel prices are down, but I wonder whether DL (and others) are adding capacity in a less disciplined manner--and thus slowly abandoning the approach that restored it to profitability in recent years. Or, is this healthy, restrained growth?

n471wn

Wed May 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 11):
As a whole Oakland airport is rather unattractive and in a terrible part of town

You are wrong as the airport is not in the bad part of Oakland----no safety issues there

Quoting Shields (Reply 14):
Or, is this healthy, restrained growth?

Yes thank goodness and WN is leading the pack with 8% year over year growth.

LAX772LR

Wed May 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 13):
But this time around, you have no OAK to DTW, DFW, MSP, IAH, IAD, or ORD to "steal any thunder" from it.

Yikes, didn't realize OAK had lost that much non-WN traffic  Wow!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

n471wn

Wed May 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Why on earth would Delta not fly the Atlanta route out of SFO?

BoeingGuy

Wed May 27, 2015 9:45 pm

Quoting n471wn (Reply 17):
Why on earth would Delta not fly the Atlanta route out of SFO?

Not sure what you are referring to. DL flies SFO-ATL something like 6 times a day, and had always done so since at least the 1960s.

DL also flies SJC-ATL and is now resuming OAK-ATL after stopping it and starting it several times.

Quoting n471wn (Reply 15):
You are wrong as the airport is not in the bad part of Oakland----no safety issues there

Actually I agreed with the original comment. I like much of Oakland, but the airport in close proximity to some not so great areas, and nearby hotels take security precautions AFAIK.

Freshside3

Wed May 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Also keep in mind there two well-to-do areas in the Oakland hills, Piedmont and Montclair. Many of the people there can afford to buy F or C class seats------which is something that WN does not offer!

threeifbyair

Wed May 27, 2015 10:34 pm

As a whole Oakland airport is rather unattractive and in a terrible part of town.
Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 18):
Actually I agreed with the original comment. I like much of Oakland, but the airport in close proximity to some not so great areas, and nearby hotels take security precautions AFAIK.

Does it really matter what the quality of the nearby neighborhood is?

Airports usually aren't considered to be desirable neighbors and unsurprisingly they don't attract nice suburbs. Off the top of my head, SEA, JFK, EWR, and BOS are all located near some questionable areas. I still fly to those airports.

Airports in nice areas, like HPN, tend to be beset with NIMBYs.

psa1011

Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting Freshside3 (Reply 19):

Ya, not to mention Berkeley, Albany, Fremont, Walnut Creek, and other cities with money.

n471wn

Wed May 27, 2015 11:47 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 18):
Not sure what you are referring to. DL flies SFO-ATL something like 6 times a day, and had always done so since at least the 1960s.

My mistake as I meant why would WN move the SFO-ATL flight from SFO to OAK? Both routes should be available on WN

rafflesking

Thu May 28, 2015 1:44 am

This route was actually bookable in the winter time for summer travel. I just checked my itinerary and I ticketed ATL-OAK in February for July 12th. In April, the flight was zeroed out and DL rebooked me ATL-SFO.

So amusing to see press pick this route up (SJ Mercury News this morning) when it looked to be a recent suspension.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 28, 2015 2:26 am

I think this is prevent Spirit from moving on ATL-OAK. Spirit seems newly interested in grabbing ATL marketshare. OAK is a perfect city for them, they just added LAX-OAK

RWA380

Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 am

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 2):

I don't think they'll capture much Intl traffic, it'll be domestic connections.

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 5):
Actually with the BART extension to OAK last November, it's just as good as the SFO trip.

Figures for all the times I used OAK when living in the city, especially from my office down on Market & Greary, now they have a train all the way to the airport eliminating that less than desirable transfer under the BART tracks.

As a whole Oakland airport is rather unattractive and in a terrible part of town. Fortunately it now has BART, so it is just as easy to get to downtown San Francisco. The good news with Oakland is you will almost never ever have a weather delay unlike SFO which is under flow control 50% of days. Parking is also affordable for anyone driving from that side of the bay.

Coming from Downtown San Francisco, OAK is a closer BART ride & a quicker experience, I loved flying out of OAK.

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 21):
Ya, not to mention Berkeley, Albany, Fremont, Walnut Creek, and other cities with money.

Peaople from Napa to Fairfield fly out of OAK, there is plenty of money ou there that can afford premium seats.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

FlyPNS1

Thu May 28, 2015 11:32 am

Quoting rafflesking (Reply 23):

I think this is prevent Spirit from moving on ATL-OAK. Spirit seems newly interested in grabbing ATL marketshare. OAK is a perfect city for them, they just added LAX-OAK

No, this is to counteract WN which is going to fly ATL-OAK (instead of ATL-SFO). DL has made it clear that it won't allow WN to have any routes to itself from ATL. Given that WN's product doesn't work as well in the transcon type market, DL is hoping to push WN out. Once that is done, DL will drop OAK again from ATL.

bobnwa

Thu May 28, 2015 12:33 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 26):
DL has made it clear that it won't allow WN to have any routes to itself from ATL.

Where and when did Delta make the statement? Don't remember seeing that

jetblue1965

Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 25):

Coming from Downtown San Francisco, OAK is a closer BART ride & a quicker experience, I loved flying out of OAK.

It's a single seat ride to SFO versus a transfer at Coliseum for OAK. I'd say that's a wash ?

The biggest problem is that the peninsular is very poorly served by BART, and they have to rely on that nearly-useless Caltrain to do the deed. urgh

Regardless of the SFO vs. OAK debate, this is a single daily flight versus 7x daily (i checked tomorrow friday). For most pax, it still means SFO or connecting via LAX/SLC.

rtalk25

Thu May 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 24):
Spirit seems newly interested in grabbing ATL marketshare. OAK is a perfect city for them, they just added LAX-OAK

Ironically at some point NK will be on the route and maybe exclusively if DL gets WN to leave and DL then leaves, and NK then assumes the route with ease. DL likely won't care about NK traffic as much.

However, WN might not be easily pushed out since it has a hub at OAK. It can provide connections on both ends of ATL-OAK.

Is WN gate constrained at SFO? It seems like ATL-SFO was sacrificed for DAL-SFO. If closer in markets and markets where WN dominates takes precedence, ATL-SFO might not return, but maybe consideration for AUS-SFO with the AUS buildup that is going on from WN.

LFutia

Thu May 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Yes finally! I travel to Oakland once a year. I have family east of Oakland and they pick me up from the airport instead of me travelling to SFO and taking BART to where I need to go. Although I wish the flight got in a bit earlier, that still makes me glad that I do not have to double connect. Usually I'll do a DTW / MSP /ATL to LAX and then to OAK from ORD.

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

SFOA380

Thu May 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 28):
The biggest problem is that the peninsular is very poorly served by BART, and they have to rely on that nearly-useless Caltrain to do the deed. urgh

The fact that you use the term "peninsular" when describing The Peninsula shows how little you know about our area... Caltrain is actually breaking all kinds of ridership records largely because the Baby-Bullet service is so fast and convenient... It's also in the process of being electrified which will improve it further.

jetblue1965

Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Quoting SFOA380 (Reply 31):

The fact that you use the term "peninsular" when describing The Peninsula shows how little you know about our area... Caltrain is actually breaking all kinds of ridership records largely because the Baby-Bullet service is so fast and convenient... It's also in the process of being electrified which will improve it further.

i lived in both Palo Alto and San Carlos before. Try riding Caltrain on the weekend and you'll know how slow and infrequent it is. These days I just gave up on Caltrain and simply drive to Millbrae to connect to BART.

Quoting LFutia (Reply 30):
Yes finally! I travel to Oakland once a year. I have family east of Oakland and they pick me up from the airport instead of me travelling to SFO and taking BART to where I need to go. Although I wish the flight got in a bit earlier, that still makes me glad that I do not have to double connect. Usually I'll do a DTW / MSP /ATL to LAX and then to OAK from ORD.

Leo/ORD

Not to sound critical, but wouldn't ORD-SFO nonstop be far better for you than ORD-DTW-LAX-OAK ?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos