Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

womenbeshopping
Topic Author

RE: NK FA In Hot Water

Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Quoting thegoldenargosy (Reply 44):
A good friend of mine is an ORD based NK FA. He was flying with this FA when the picture was taken. There were no pax on board. The flight was boarding from a gate that boards on the ramp. He said after she took her picture he climbed in the engine too for a picture. It must be a slow news day in Chicago.

That is a whole different scenario than if the pax were boarded and she was outside doing this. Knowing this my stance has changed 100 percent.

meechy36

Wed May 27, 2015 10:43 pm

The thing that bothered me the most was that this nitwit took the flight attendants name and then went to her Facebook page to look for the picture, what a creep.

I have loads of pictures sitting in engines of various aircraft all over the world, if we board by stairs you can bet the crew are taking pictures.

MikeBOS

Revelation

Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 41):
drove the golf kart through the scorpion king set, back to the future, whatever. None of it was permitted, in a theoretical world it might be dangerous or a security risk. But EVERYONE did it.

And if the corporate office got photographic evidence of you doing it, you would have caught heck for it.

Maverick623

Wed May 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Quoting meechy36 (Reply 53):
The thing that bothered me the most was that this nitwit took the flight attendants name and then went to her Facebook page to look for the picture, what a creep.

Rumor is going around that the person in question (a female) knows the F/A personally and was basically harassing her over an ex boyfriend who is now dating the current flight attendant.

I'm beginning to doubt this was actually a passenger on the flight that reported it. More like a case of Facebook stalking.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 54):
And if the corporate office got photographic evidence of you doing it, you would have caught heck for it.

The difference here is that corporate offices at all airlines are well aware of the practice of taking such pictures and posting them on the internet, and have not issued a single disciplinary letter (and, in fact, have used some of them in marketing campaigns).

DDR

Thu May 28, 2015 12:31 am

This is the dumbest complaint I have ever read about. As a flight attendant I can tell you, we have all done this. Whoever the complainer was, they should have just asked the crew if this was a safety issue and they could have explained to her that this is just something that everyone does once in their career.

For those of you who don't work at an airline, this was not a safety issue! It was just a lady getting her pic taken. Of course, the pics are always better when they are taken in a wide body jet's engine, LOL.

ikramerica

Thu May 28, 2015 12:34 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 54):

Maybe. Or just a warning. Though they didn't know if I was supposed to be there in the first place. And my boss was best friends with Ron Meyer, so probably not...

But it sounds like everybody takes these pics at airlines too so there must be a look the other way policy.

Maverick623

Thu May 28, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting DDR (Reply 57):
Whoever the complainer was, they should have just asked the crew if this was a safety issue and they could have explained to her that this is just something that everyone does once in their career.

You are assuming the complainer was genuinely upset about the pictures.

I'm of the opinion it was someone with an axe to grind, who found the ear of someone at a news station who apparently never heard the term "libel".

TWA772LR

Thu May 28, 2015 1:18 am

Obviously these people have never seen photos of couples being married in a GE90...

zeke

Thu May 28, 2015 1:51 am

Is it just me, or is taking down the name of crew and looking them up on bookface after a flight sound unhealthy ?

SPREE34

Thu May 28, 2015 1:55 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 62):
Is it just me, or is taking down the name of crew and looking them up on bookface after a flight sound unhealthy ?

It's not just you. Thus, my comment to make the reporting person as famous as the FA who did nothing wrong or unsafe.

747400sp

Thu May 28, 2015 2:14 am

This passenger, should have minded their own business!! This is a pet peeve of mine, because you do not mess with somebodies job. This F/A, did not come to this jurk bags job, and get them fired, so why would they do that to her.

A332DTW

Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 am

This also reminds of passengers who film ramp workers loading bags onto the plane. They're offended and shocked that their luggage isn't handled like precious gold they believe it is.

mandala499

Thu May 28, 2015 4:18 am

The No-Fun Nazi passengers on a rampage again?
Even perfection is wrong in their eyes.

We've got pictures and selfies in cockpits persecuted
Baggage loaders handling bags persecuted (and it loaders handle bags gently resulting in a delay, again, persecution)
Taking photos in front of engine persecuted

In other parts of the world, we've had:
Cabin crew taking photos in galley persecuted
Cabin crew taking wefies after cabin is clear persecuted
Hell, cabin crew going to the cockpit to check on the cockpit crew was even witch hunted and pilots going to the toilet reported!

Questioning these occurences are OK, but to the extent of "persecution"? These types of No-Fun Nazi passengers need to be exterminated!

Signed,

A serious but fun-loving passenger.

b747400erf

Thu May 28, 2015 4:37 am

Quoting womenbeshopping (Thread starter):
I hope she has another career to proceed with.

I need to feel outraged about something, anything, every morning, thank you for giving me this totally blown out of proportion news story so I can get angry today!!

mika

Thu May 28, 2015 4:54 am

As an airline i would hire her on the spot and make a marketing campaign surrounding her and the event.

Francoflier

Thu May 28, 2015 5:47 am

How to get fired by doing nothing wrong, or the dangers of narcissism...

It's pretty cool to have a picture of yourself inside an engine. I've done it too.
But I've never understood that compelling need that some have to advertise these things to the World through every possible way. In the over-sensitive business of aviation, that's precisely the kind of stuff you'd want to be careful with, if your lack of modesty prevents you from doing so in the first place.

I hope she keeps her job. That's really a non-event turned into a shitball by someone who feels the need to be angry about stuff all the time.

MaverickM11

Thu May 28, 2015 6:34 am

What a disgusting news station. First the story is beyond dumb, and second they go above and beyond reasonable limits to shame and harass this woman. How has local news survived the internet this long?

sierrakilo44

Thu May 28, 2015 7:01 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 65):
As an airline i would hire her on the spot and make a marketing campaign surrounding her and the event

Exactly. Get a employee focused, fun airline like Virgin to hire her and market it as "we hire people who love their job"!

And for all those saying she should be disciplined for breaking rules, I ask what rules?

It wasn't a safety rule, the engine weren't running or about to be started
It wasn't a security rule, F/A's are allowed access to the tarmac like any other employee
She didn't defame her company on social media
If she didn't delay a flight to do it then she didn't break a customer service rule

Maybe she broke the "all US airline employees are supposed to be miserable and hate their jobs" rule.

bjorn14

Thu May 28, 2015 7:54 am

Waiting for NK to use this incident as fun marketing ploy in 3...2...1

bennett123

Thu May 28, 2015 10:42 am

If this was during turn round, first question is who long is a typical NK turnround.

As said before, if the engine had been started, that would be a major issue, (particularly for her).

As stated before cowling could have been damaged, or FOD risk.

Presumably she was not supposed to be on board helping passengers at this point.

However took the photo may have been missing from their own duties at this point.

Also having someone on a busy ramp who did not need to be there is also a safety issue.

CALTECH

Thu May 28, 2015 2:09 pm

Nothing wrong with what she posed for. Shows she has passion for her job and loves it. Passengers need to get over themselves.

wjv04

Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm

F/A's need to be onboard the aircraft in order to operate the exits during the boarding process. Secondly while harsh as it may seem, I understand the concern with crew members jumping in the cowling. I have seen several aircraft go out of service for abradable shroud damage caused by F/A's standing in the cowling in high heal shoes.

AWACSooner

Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 68):

Go for it...milk this for all you can get. If they could somehow publicly shame the complainer as well, that'd be awesome too!

santi319

Thu May 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Quoting wjv04 (Reply 71):

F/A's need to be onboard the aircraft in order to operate the exits during the boarding process. Secondly while harsh as it may seem, I understand the concern with crew members jumping in the cowling. I have seen several aircraft go out of service for abradable shroud damage caused by F/A's standing in the cowling in high heal shoes.

Obviously she was not part of the crew onboard that flight. And secondly that sounds very far fetched. Any proper weblinks to this? I highly doubt that. Turbines are strong! They are meant to withstand harsh conditions!

CALTECH

Thu May 28, 2015 3:10 pm

Quoting wjv04 (Reply 71):
out of service for abradable shroud damage caused by F/A's standing in the cowling in high heal shoes.

The abradable shroud is under the path of the fan blades. Where they stand for their photos is the acoustical liner. The abradable shroud is a very hard substance, should see the sparks fly when a repair is done and the engine run for the first time with the fan blades wearing into the abradable liner.

vhtje

Thu May 28, 2015 3:14 pm

I don't see any problem with the photo - we have all seen loads of airline publicity shots of crew inside engine nacelles. I am sure she did it safely and that the flight crew knew she was going to pose for the photograph.

My question, though, is this: if the passengers were boarding the aircraft and saw her doing this, surely, at boarding time, she should have been busy assisting with the boarding process, and thus wouldn't have had time to be posing for photographs inside engine nacelles?

If she is going to be facing disciplinary action, it must be because she neglected her duties, no?

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 34):
Since when did Spirit starting caring about complaints? IMO this is not the type of complaint they need to address, especially when they have a ton of them which actually have merit. But you're right, that is pretty much their attitude regarding complaints.

Actually NK does an average to slightly above for dealing with that. It's their business model they don't apologize for.

Quoting SPREE34 (Reply 38):
        All of the above. The complainer needs to be made as famous as their victim.

No argument there.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 53):

Rumor is going around that the person in question (a female) knows the F/A personally and was basically harassing her over an ex boyfriend who is now dating the current flight attendant.

I'm beginning to doubt this was actually a passenger on the flight that reported it. More like a case of Facebook stalking.

That would be petty as hell.

Quoting mika (Reply 64):
As an airline i would hire her on the spot and make a marketing campaign surrounding her and the event.
Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 68):

She's already at the place best suited for that. Say what we will about NK, but they know how to pack planes and get attention.

Quoting santi319 (Reply 73):
And secondly that sounds very far fetched. Any proper weblinks to this? I highly doubt that. Turbines are strong! They are meant to withstand harsh conditions!

Honestly, I do agree that this is a crapload of hot-air. But as far as putting on heels in those things...

The issue isn't so much that per se (we'll come back in a minute though...) It's the area fwd of that. This is the acoustical lining (although often referred to as a sound suppressor in a lot of the newer types). This lining can support weight of a person without a lot of fuss, but things like high heels are not that good an idea. Anecdotally, I'm reminded of the time we had to pull an aircraft off the line (an E-190 in that case) after a (relatively senior, no less) mechanic dropped a set of keys on it. The key chain had a kubaton (small, dense piece of metal used for self defense or fighting), and it did manage to punch out a hole the size of a quarter. From a less than two foot drop. I wouldn't like to think what 120lbs of FA slipping on her high heel would do.

As for the turbine, that would only be a problem if someone dropped change or pocket crap and it managed to get behind the blades. Unlikely, no doubt, but with the less than totally forgiving way that airlines like to look at things these days, not something I'd want to deal with.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 72):
Go for it...milk this for all you can get. If they could somehow publicly shame the complainer as well, that'd be awesome too!

I'm reminded of that "Hate thousand miles" thing they did...

peanuts

Fri May 29, 2015 7:33 pm

Listen. The passenger in question CALLED the news department. That tells you all you need to know.

nikeherc

Fri May 29, 2015 7:54 pm

I find it amusing that a nearby thread involving an all female United crew taking delivery of a new 737-900 links out to a story on the Boeing website. Accompanying the story are several pictures of Female United employees sitting, standing and lounging in a nacelle of the 737.

MaverickM11

Fri May 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 77):
Listen. The passenger in question CALLED the news department. That tells you all you need to know.

Both should be dragged out into the street and beat with a shovel

MD11Engineer

Fri May 29, 2015 8:24 pm

as a maintainance tech, the only issue I'd have would be if she was wearing stiletto heels, because she could punch holes into the acoustic liner of the intake.
As per the AMM one has to put a rubber matt into the intake if one works inside, but with normal shoes this is not an issue.
As for FOD, I see no issue. Even if she dropped a bunch of coins, they would just be shovelled back out through the fan duct during start up and it is very unlikely that they would go through the core.

I have been many times standing inside engine intakes in winter, while passengers were walking past me, boarding the aircraft. The reason were fanblade ice inspections and de-icing the engine with hot air.

Jan

bluejuice

Fri May 29, 2015 8:50 pm

When I was a young lad, I was fortunate to be part a family that believed international travel helped build character. On one trip, we were boarding a 747SP at a remote stand and watched a maintenance crew check one of the engines. Imagine our excitement when one of the technicians asked if we wanted to sit in the engine and take a picture. To a couple of young aviation enthusiasts it was the greatest day of our lives at that point. The picture is buried away in an old photo album. Mental note made to dig it out someday.

PMUA787

Sat May 30, 2015 12:47 am

This person who called the TV station should be put on the no fly list and be forced to go on Greyhound for their absolute stupidity and ignorance.

L1011Lover

Sat May 30, 2015 2:23 am

http://abc7chicago.com/news/flight-a...olleague-in-engine-photo--/746880/

so glad she gets so much support! I really hope she'll be fine! It would be absolutely RIDICULOUS and a complete and total shame for NK if she'll be terminated!

Airline crews have done this for decades... airlines even used these pictures for advertising purposes!

Whoever took down her name, brought it to the media's attention and invaded her privacy in such a manner should not only be ashamed but face other consequences as well!

And to all of those who are concerned about safety... I've never heard of an airplane crashing or even an engine malfunctioning because a flight attendant (or anybody) took a picture inside! And this has been a tradition for as long as jet engines exist!!!

Best regards

L1011Lover

BN727227Ultra

Sat May 30, 2015 3:27 am

text of my letter to Spirit, FWIW:

Make you a deal--hire Ericka back and I'll buy Spirit stock!  

TheRedBaron

Sat May 30, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 16):

http://www.braniffpages.com/1965/1965.html

scroll thru these photos!!!

Thanks for the memories..!!!

Quoting nkops (Reply 31):
interesting they print the name of the f/a , but not the person who called it in...

as usual they crucify the perpetrator but those who point their fingers get a free pass.

Quoting goboeing (Reply 37):
"One of the passengers contacted the I-Team in disbelief, asking if it was part of a new pre-flight checklist. "

What a sad state our society has reached.

Indeed, but after seeing the real whistleblower it is even worse.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 46):
ABC 7's reporting is libelous, if she can show that she has been financially harmed by their reporting heavily implying (and at one point, explicity saying) that her actions were wrong and uncommon, and that she lacks good judgement (the headline on their Facebook link to the article says, in part, "WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?").

She should sue the network...

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 53):

Aren't women fantastic creatures?

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 62):
The No-Fun Nazi passengers on a rampage again?

Thanks that was funny, sadly this world is getting filled with grumpy people.

Quoting bluejuice (Reply 81):
When I was a young lad, I was fortunate to be part a family that believed international travel helped build character. On one trip, we were boarding a 747SP at a remote stand and watched a maintenance crew check one of the engines. Imagine our excitement when one of the technicians asked if we wanted to sit in the engine and take a picture.

Thats great My fav pic is entering a Mexicana 727 by the rear stairs....old one...

Quoting L1011Lover (Reply 83):
And this has been a tradition for as long as jet engines exist!!!

Airplane lovers will always do this no matter what...

TRB

RogerMurdock

Sun May 31, 2015 11:45 pm

from the first 747 roll out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfhbUd7ZJfg&t=20

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos