Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Inflight Business Manager At British Airways

Sat May 30, 2015 11:49 am

Would someone be so kind to explain what this role actually entitles? Has it replaced the CSD role? In this age of descriptive job titles, it can be difficult to ascertain what roles and responsibilities someone has.

ajs123uk

RE: Inflight Business Manager At British Airways

Sat May 30, 2015 3:25 pm

They are largely office based managers. They have a group of main crew, pursers and cabin service directors to "look after" dealing with sickness, disciplinary issues, appraisals etc.
They will fly every so often with their Cabin service directors to observe, they will be wearing a uniform then and may be a part of the service if they want to be.

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Many thanks for the reply.

So they are HR Officers with a certain number of fligth attendants to look after. I always wondered how cabin crew are BA were managed, e.g. whether it was just one large pool and no dedicated HR officer. As an aside I always remember speaking to a member of BA cabin crew on a long haul trip. He commented that the appraisal system for cabin crew was suspectible to bias depending on the mood of the Purser, so presumably the existence of a supervisor on board is there to ensure somesort of consistency to assess performance.

ajs123uk

Sat May 30, 2015 5:40 pm

There is not usually an inflight business manager (IBM) on a flight though so it is up to a purser or csd to perform an assessment on main crew every once in a while and an IBM will assess a CSD every once in a while. An IBM will not assess a main crew member they are mainly point of contact for them in an office to deal with day to day things if needed

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Sat May 30, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

richardw

Sat May 30, 2015 6:27 pm

They'll always be a CSD on every BA flight, what ever they rename them.

smi0006

Sun May 31, 2015 3:17 am

Forgive me, I've always been fascinated by the onboard ranking system at certain airlines. BA, SQ, and CX all seem to have a lot of ranks (too many chiefs not enough Indians scenario).

So how does it work at BA for a wide body? 1 CSM manages the cabin, 1 purser in each galley, then standard FAs?

1 Purser per galley seems a lot to me.

Andy33

Sun May 31, 2015 6:17 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 6):
So how does it work at BA for a wide body? 1 CSM manages the cabin, 1 purser in each galley, then standard FAs?

It is complicated because there are four separate "fleets" of cabin crew operating widebody aircraft at BA.

Job titles vary according to the "fleet" and the number of crew and the different grades involved according to aircraft and route.
As an extreme example, a 767 operating as all-economy between London and Edinburgh doesn't have the same operational requirement for crew as an A380 operating to Hong Kong with four separate cabin classes across two decks, quite apart from the minimum crew levels imposed by law,

Hopefully a BA insider can explain in detail, but the most recent addition, Mixed Fleet, has completely different job titles to all the others, signalling a break with the past.

G-CIVP
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2015 9:56 am

"Forgive me, I've always been fascinated by the onboard ranking system at certain airlines. BA, SQ, and CX all seem to have a lot of ranks".

The reason is quite simple but my answer will put the proverbial cat among the pigeons. Being a flight attendant is quite a simple job. To keep flight attendants' focused and engaged, a career structure of sorts is designed so staff can aspire to moving up the ranks. I wouldn't sat there is a lot of substance to it.

Can I request that this topic is closed as the original question has been answered.

RyanairGuru

Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 6):
BA, SQ, and CX all seem to have a lot of ranks (too many chiefs not enough Indians scenario).
SQ in particular has a lot of ranks, but BA is fairly simple. I'm not sure how it works at Mixed Fleet, but BA Worldwide use the exact same system as Qantas do on longhaul flights.

Cabin Service Director (BA) = Cabin Service Manager (QF) - one on board

Purser (BA) = Cabin Service Supervisor (QF) - on or two onboard depending on whether the flight has First, one overseas Y/Y+ and the other First and/or Business (it is First at BA, can't remember at QF).

[Edited 2015-05-31 03:14:41]

[Edited 2015-05-31 03:15:28]
Worked Hard, Flew Right

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 5:37 pm

I actually think it's smart to have a second level of supervisor on long haul. With US carriers, which only have one Purser/CSD/Whatever, that person is often running around like a chicken with their head cut off. By having someone dedicated to each class, then the ultimate lead can have some of the supervisory load removed.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

gzbja

Sun May 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 5):

A lot of shorthaul flights don't have CSD on them, (purser is in charge) but all longhauls do.

Baexecutive

Sun May 31, 2015 7:51 pm

Quoting gzbja (Reply 11):

I think what he means is an in charge crew member.

There are several different titles for the four fleets within mainline BA, CSD, CSM, CM, Purser, CSL, or indeed many cabin crew on development programmes or those who have been asked to work up in a leadership role.

Inflight Business Managers are direct line managers for crew and managers onboard. They will be seen onboard an aircraft when they are supervising an in charge crew member. Behind the scenes they manage cabin crew and some cabin crew managers on some fleets, anything from performance to attendance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos