yenne09
Topic Author

UA Refuses To Serve Soda Can To A Muslim Woman

Sun May 31, 2015 11:38 am

United Airlines is facind a boycott after a flight attendant refused to serve a can of Diet Coke to a muslim woman
considering that the can "could be used as a weapon'. A neighbor of this women received is can however.

http://airlines.einnews.com/article/268278990/l4j4S4HAy4KAEaK0

AWACSooner

Sun May 31, 2015 12:05 pm

Yah, I'm really suspicious of this story...unless UA is really hiring FA's who are THAT stupid, I think the woman is out for a payday based upon complete BS.

EMAman

Sun May 31, 2015 12:10 pm

I find this difficult to believe. Agree with AWACSooner, suspect she is after a cheque.

jmdc861

Sun May 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Knowing today's United, I totally believe this woman's story!

JMDC861

smokeybandit

Sun May 31, 2015 12:23 pm

Well it should be pretty easy to find witnesses to corroborate (or debunk) her story.

United1

Sun May 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Was a Shuttle America flight actually....not sure exactly what happened on that flight as the story is to say the least odd.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

hamad

Sun May 31, 2015 12:27 pm

Is this story exaggerated? I am finding difficulty in digesting that this has actually happened!
PHX - i miss spotting

MaverickM11

Sun May 31, 2015 12:39 pm

Quoting jmdc861 (Reply 3):
Knowing today's United, I totally believe this woman's story!

I wouldn't say United, so much as today's state of idiotic, unfounded, irrational fear that we've paid trillions to have perpetuated under the guise of security  
Quoting United1 (Reply 5):
Was a Shuttle America flight actually....

That's such a cop out, even if this is a totally fabricated story. I know companies like to think that they outsource responsibility along with the costs, but it's still their name on the side of the aircraft, their ticket stock, their customer service, etc..
E pur si muove -Galileo

United787

Sun May 31, 2015 12:39 pm

CNN is now headlining this story. Although it is hard to believe, this one sounds like it may have actually happened since the article states that both the FA and pilot already apologized to her and UA has said it is reaching out to her. Although there are 3 sides to every story...

Mir

Sun May 31, 2015 12:47 pm

This probably started because the FA was pouring her Diet Coke out of an already opened can, which is commonplace. It's also commonplace that passengers don't get a whole can, so the FA can't give her an unopened can - the best the FA can do is get an unopened can, open it themselves, and then pour her the drink. The person who got the beer would have paid for it, and thus does get the full can. So there's nothing abnormal there. As for using it as a weapon, it actually wouldn't shock me if that were actual policy - many stadiums in the US have similar rules, and when you buy a drink in a bottle the vendors have to remove the top. That seems pretty ridiculous on an airplane, but I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that with regard to her being a Muslim. The FA could have done a better job communicating, but I can't necessarily say they did anything explicitly wrong.

As for the other passenger's conduct, it's disgraceful. But that's not United's fault.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

smokeybandit

Sun May 31, 2015 12:48 pm

Of course CNN is running with the story. They love stuff like this.

Surely something happened on that plane. But surely, too, there's more to this story than what was in that Facebook rant.

I mean, using a can as a weapon? You can have a far more lethal weapon just by rolling up the safety instructions card that's in every seatback.

United1

Sun May 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 7):
uoting United1 (Reply 5):
Was a Shuttle America flight actually....

That's such a cop out, even if this is a totally fabricated story. I know companies like to think that they outsource responsibility along with the costs, but it's still their name on the side of the aircraft, their ticket stock, their customer service, etc..

Not a cop out at all ultimately UA is going to have to be the one who sorts out what happened on the flight. This is airliner.net however and we do know that there is a difference between UA and Shuttle America....

I will say that this story is really far out there however...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Sun May 31, 2015 12:56 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
As for using it as a weapon, it actually wouldn't shock me if that were actual policy - many stadiums in the US have similar rules, and when you buy a drink in a bottle the vendors have to remove the top

I guess the question then is does Shuttle America have such a policy. I don't belive UA mainline has that policy...

ltbewr

Sun May 31, 2015 12:57 pm

First of all, she had requested an unopened can of soda for hygienic reasons - more likely so would get a full can, not a few mouthfuls in a cup. Apparently a person seated near her got a beer, which was served unopened, but beer is purchased as a full container unlike soda or other non-alcohol beverages. That the F/A made the statement of a sealed can being served to this woman 'could be used as a weapon' to me reflects bad training at UA, that service on our airlines continues its fall of quality or religious prejudice. Of course if the f/a did serve a sealed can, then others might also ask for the same at small cost to penny pinching airline or see a 'reverse prejudice' by others.

Sadly, we have seen far too often religious prejudice toward those of the Islamic faith create issues on air flights, during boarding and in pre-flight security. I live in an area of New Jersey, with a fast growing Islamic population, best seen by the significant number of Muslim faith women who wear head scarves and conservative clothing on the street and in our stores when shopping. Yes, there is the terrible history of some Muslims supporting terrorism, most notably 9/11, but most are not into it nor supportive of such views. Treating persons with prejudice just leads to cycles of hate we sure don't need, including our airlines.

kgaiflyer

Sun May 31, 2015 1:03 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 8):
CNN is now headlining this story.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/30/us/uni...-flight-muslim-chaplain/index.html

It's still early Sunday morning. We'll see if this story turns up as a topic on the Sunday talk shows.

FlyingSicilian

Sun May 31, 2015 1:05 pm

“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

United787

Sun May 31, 2015 1:15 pm

The irony here is that the angry racist man getting liquored up on beer was more of a danger to the flight than she was!

BTW, I am often given a full can of coke on UA, sometimes they even ask if I want the full can or just a cup. I don't know what UA's official policy is but I have learned in life that treating people with kindness and respect usually pays off.

varig md-11

Sun May 31, 2015 1:20 pm

What a ridiculous fuss she's making out of it.

Some "intellectuals" are creating scenes purposedly at the moment so that we grow acceptance of their customs.

For "hygienic" reasons, some women are hanging around at CDG with a medical mask covering their face (+sunglasses sometimes so that you see nothing of them)...this started when the law was voted that everybody should have their face uncovered in public places.

Pathetic, and even more pathetic that some people bite the hook

Was the FA male or female? I wish I knew and that could explain this hallucinating story too
AF TW AA NW DL UA CO BA U2 TP UX LH SK AZ MP KL SN VY HV LS SS TK SQ PC RG IW SE LI TX PY

Mir

Sun May 31, 2015 1:42 pm

Quoting United787 (Reply 16):
The irony here is that the angry racist man getting liquored up on beer was more of a danger to the flight than she was!

Two different people. The guy with the beer was next to her, the racist guy was a few rows back being an idiot without the aid of alcohol.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

BestWestern

Sun May 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 13):
but beer is purchased as a full container unlike soda or other non-alcohol beverages

So, its OK to buy a 'weapon' ?

And the bigot behind her shouted... You Muslim, you need to shut the f--- up," should be done for air rage.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

mbmbos

Sun May 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Quoting VARIG MD-11 (Reply 17):

Some "intellectuals" are creating scenes purposedly at the moment so that we grow acceptance of their customs.

First of all, you are not in possession of any facts that would indicate the woman is making a "ridiculous fuss" out of this.

...but you've jumped to that conclusion anyway.

And now "intellectuals" is a bad word? It's a bad word because they push for "acceptance of their customs?"

With regard to the United Airlines incident, you have shed no insights with your analysis. But you have revealed your personal biases.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

777way

Sun May 31, 2015 2:20 pm

If the story comes from Muslims of any race and Christian Blacks its going to be a lie according the jury on here, to a lesser extent other minorities may also get similar verdict but thats very rare.

alfa164

Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Quoting mbmbos (Reply 20):
First of all, you are not in possession of any facts that would indicate the woman is making a "ridiculous fuss" out of this. ...but you've jumped to that conclusion anyway. And now "intellectuals" is a bad word? It's a bad word because they push for "acceptance of their customs?" With regard to the United Airlines incident, you have shed no insights with your analysis. But you have revealed your personal biases.

I think you are feeding a troll...   

Quoting 777way (Reply 21):
If the story comes from Muslims of any race and Christian Blacks its going to be a lie according the jury on here, to a lesser extent other minorities may also get similar verdict but thats very rare.

Unfortunately, the bigots show up on every forum...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

copter808

Sun May 31, 2015 2:37 pm

Quoting smokeybandit (Reply 10):
I mean, using a can as a weapon? You can have a far more lethal weapon just by rolling up the safety instructions card that's in every seatback.

Seriously now, you might have to use TWO cards to make the weapon! I recently purchased a dozen "weapons" at the store--actually, it was 5 boxes of 12 weapons. When the clerk attempted to pick up one of the boxes, she dropped it (maybe 12-14 inches) and one of the weapons came open! Todays soda cans do NOT make good weapons!

Quoting ltbewr (Reply 13):
Sadly, we have seen far too often religious prejudice toward those of the Islamic faith create issues on air flights, during boarding and in pre-flight security. I live in an area of New Jersey, with a fast growing Islamic population, best seen by the significant number of Muslim faith women who wear head scarves and conservative clothing on the street and in our stores when shopping. Yes, there is the terrible history of some Muslims supporting terrorism, most notably 9/11, but most are not into it nor supportive of such views. Treating persons with prejudice just leads to cycles of hate we sure don't need, including our airlines.

Right On!! Instead of treating EVERY Muslim as a potential terrorist, why can't we try a bit more compassion and try to understand what THEY have to endure because of a few radical individuals.

copter808

Sun May 31, 2015 2:40 pm

BTW, I am often given a full can of coke on UA, sometimes they even ask if I want the full can or just a cup. I don't know what UA's official policy is but I have learned in life that treating people with kindness and respect usually pays off.

Me too! As far as I know, if you ASK for the full can, you will get it. Might be different in the express planes because of smaller beverage carts.

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 2:41 pm

Yup. Exactly. With outsourcing comes responsibility.

I wouldn't say United, so much as today's state of idiotic, unfounded, irrational fear that we've paid trillions to have perpetuated under the guise of security

Generally, yes. United, based on the credible stories I've heard and my own experiences, is generally very pro-active about resolving incidents of bigotry - both by their own staff and by others like the TSA. This hasn't changed since the merger.

Quoting Mir (Reply 9):
As for using it as a weapon, it actually wouldn't shock me if that were actual policy - many stadiums in the US have similar rules, and when you buy a drink in a bottle the vendors have to remove the top.

That is absolutely not a policy. I'm given a can to open all the time. This is especially true in window seats, where there may be a risk of spilling on the other passenger.

I am often given a full can of coke on UA, sometimes they even ask if I want the full can or just a cup. I don't know what UA's official policy is but I have learned in life that treating people with kindness and respect usually pays off.

The UA policy was always to give the can, except on Ted. The current policy is to give the can if the passenger asks.

Quoting VARIG MD-11 (Reply 17):

Really? For being told she might use something as a weapon? That is not a ridiculous fuss. If someone said something like that to me, there would be absolute hell to pay.

Quoting 777way (Reply 21):

In a real court, a jury is likely to be sympathetic. Of course, plenty of people who like to play what I call the race card card, where they claim bigotry is dead, come out of the woodwork.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

777way

Sun May 31, 2015 2:44 pm

As for open can who knows someone might have sneaked a sip in the galley, ofcourse it can happen with any type of drink container be it a bottle of Champagne.

copter808

The more I think about this incident, the more I think that is NOT a case of discrimination and MORE just a really, really stupid remark by a flight attendant! If the remark had been made between two people of the same race/ethnic origin we would not be reading and talking about this. Indeed, we never would have even heard about it!

bjorn14

I have a friend who every time she gets a soft drink in a can she wipes the top off with a wet tissue. So I am not completely calling BS on the hygeine story.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

trex8

Sun May 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 28):
I have a friend who every time she gets a soft drink in a can she wipes the top off with a wet tissue. So I am not completely calling BS on the hygeine story.

If you are that concerned about that sort of hygiene, you should bring your own drink on board and not sit in close proximity to a hundred + people! Or do as they do in the Far East and wear a mask!

georgiaame

Sun May 31, 2015 2:54 pm

Until it is proven, which it won't be, this is total BS on the part of the passenger. If she had been offered a scotch, well, that might be different, and a hell of a lot more credible. Does United hand out full cans or just full glasses?
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

BestWestern

Sun May 31, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 27):
think that is NOT a case of discrimination and MORE just a really, really stupid remark by a flight attendant!

A stupid remark covering up a stupid decision not to give a full can, magnified by the crew not requesting that the bigot not tell other passengers to shut the f**k up it seems.

Boeing778X

Sun May 31, 2015 2:58 pm

Really, United...Really?

You'll always be third rate   
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 31):
A stupid remark covering up a stupid decision not to give a full can, magnified by the crew not requesting that the bigot not tell other passengers to shut the f**k up it seems.

Even if the FA didn't mean anything by it (and I find that hard to swallow), what kind of absolute moron doesn't evaluate the situation and realize there is going to be hell to pay if they make a comment like that?

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 30):
Does United hand out full cans or just full glasses?

Unopened Cans, generally on request. Used to be automatic, and some FAs still do so.

777way

Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 30):

Yes they flight has all the witnesses, so proven, nice try.

strfyr51

Sun May 31, 2015 3:09 pm

UAL Refuses to serve Diet Coke to a Muslim?? That's preposterous!! A Bald Faced LIE!!
Worse than that it's LIBELOUS!
What kind of IDIOT would post such a thing??
Nobody in the HISTORY of flying has been refused a DIET COKE..
Whomever posted this? is grinding an AXE ..
Who is the person and what is the written Complaint??

INFINITI329

Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 pm

She asked an unopened can jeez. Some people on here acting she asked for a plasma donation and then some. RELAX. Its soda. There is nothing wrong with asking for a whole can. It probably cost UA less than .50 cents for that can, c'mon UA.

BestWestern

Sun May 31, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 35):
A Bald Faced LIE!!

And you know this because...

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 35):
Nobody in the HISTORY of flying has been refused a DIET COKE..

Oh, I was.... Meiyou was the answer on China Southern....

tom11

Sun May 31, 2015 3:25 pm

I find it very hard to believe that someone else on the plane cussed her out like that, and nobody stuck up for her. I find it highly unlikely that nobody would have stepped in to support her, and put that guy in his place. The FA, of all people, should have said something to him. I'm not Muslim, but I know, if I was on that plane, that I would have said something to that man.

MSPNWA

Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 pm

Once again a thread where UA takes the blame for what another airline does. And before I hear another word contractors being their responsibility, remember that the responsibility is totally indirect, and the contractor also flies for another airline. This employee is S5's problem, and it means it can happen on their DL flights as well. So what really matters is this was an S5 flight. It would be so ironic if somebody boycotts United only to book another Shuttle America flight on DL.

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 39):
Once again a thread where UA takes the blame for what another airline does. And before I hear another word contractors being their responsibility, remember that the responsibility is totally indirect, and the contractor also flies for another airline.

That is a complete cop out. UA marketed, UA sold, UA contractor operated. If Air Serv breaks your bag at the airport, UA is the one responsible. If UA's incompetent contractors at YYZ screw up your flight, UA is responsible. If S5 is operating a UAX flight, UA is responsible. UA deserves 100% of the blame, along with S5.

SonomaFlyer

Sun May 31, 2015 3:45 pm

Before you fanbois simply write this off as a passenger who is entitled and selfish, you should find out a bit more about the woman involved. She's not some random whiner but a widely respected Muslim chaplin who's been honored by the President for her work. I tend to believe her quotes rather than the smug responses on this thread.

Ask yourself this:
1. Would this have taken place had she not obviously been dressed as a Muslim?
2. Why would a fight attendant (who the hell cares if its S5 or UA, the flight flies under the UA brand and on a UA painted aircraft) say such a thing? Could be an idiot who's had no training, could be a racist, who knows.
3. Are you surprised that the guy behind her would say such things?

As inclusive and meltpot-like as we pretend to be, there is a wide streak of racism under the surface in this country. Using 9/11 as reason is a pathetic excuse for racial bigotry.

Boeing778X

Sun May 31, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 39):
Once again a thread where UA takes the blame for what another airline does.

Typically, airlines don't throw a mother and baby off because the baby is simply crying, remove someone for snapping photos, and I certainly don't know of any airline that has had a song written about their world class handling of expensive and irreplaceable musical instruments.

And what they did to this lady was obviously prejudice and bigotry.

This is not just an airline...this is United.

Come fly the Friendly Skies, my butt!

I will NEVER fly UA...ever...again!
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

EA CO AS

Sun May 31, 2015 3:54 pm

Quoting yenne09 (Thread starter):
A neighbor of this women received is can however.

Which he paid for as a full can, but reports are that it was opened prior to him receiving it.

I'm having a hard time believing that the flight attendant had any ill intent; I think this is more likely a case where the customer CHOSE to find ill intent and ran with it.

Of course the obnoxious behavior of the buffoon a few rows back is inexcusable, and I'm sure the apology offered by both the FA and pilot were for any misunderstanding on the initial exchange, along with the fact she had to endure that moron in the back.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

777way

Sun May 31, 2015 3:55 pm

Quoting tom11 (Reply 38):

You are an increasingly rare breed, I'm more surprised at the FA not stepping in when he uttered that stuff twice, so definitely a bigoted woman or man, should be fired.

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 43):

I'm having a hard time believing that the flight attendant had any ill intent; I think this is more likely a case where the customer CHOSE to find ill intent and ran with it.

I disagree. The comment was horsepucky, and the circumstances are too obvious to ignore the connection to.

777way

Sun May 31, 2015 4:03 pm

People have racist attitudes and find opportunities where they let them out, those in denial need to accept that.

EA CO AS

Sun May 31, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 45):
I disagree. The comment was horsepucky, and the circumstances are too obvious to ignore the connection to.

We'll agree to disagree, then. However as was pointed out earlier, many businesses have "opened container only" rules based on safety issues. The FA should have simply offered a new can when asked, opening it as she offered it.

The circumstances only have a connection to those who want to find one. The likelihood of a FA deliberately stating that "weapon" comment to someone in a public setting based solely on her choice of attire is extremely slim; why can't anyone give the FA the benefit of the doubt instead of automatically rushing to judgment that she's a racist and her comments were clearly intended as such?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

catiii

Sun May 31, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting Boeing778x (Reply 32):

It wasn't United, it was Shuttle America who also serves DL and AA.

The thread title is wholly misleading and should be changed. Shuttle America, not United, was the airline. The flight attendant didn't refuse to serve her, the flight attendant refused to give her an unopened can. But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of driving clicks on the site.

Put it this way, when a regional airline pilot/FA shows up drunk at the checkpoint, do we run threads saying "DL pilot drunk?" Of course not...

[Edited 2015-05-31 09:11:45]

N1120A

Sun May 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 47):
The FA should have simply offered a new can when asked, opening it as she offered it.

Absolutely. If she actually believed her "weapon" garbage, that is exactly what she should have done.

However as was pointed out earlier, many businesses have "opened container only" rules based on safety issues.

And that was spurious, as I don't know of a single airline that requires non-alcoholic drinks to be opened by the FA.

The likelihood of a FA deliberately stating that "weapon" comment to someone in a public setting based solely on her choice of attire is extremely slim

I actually pointed that out. It is more likely the FA was a moron, using "security" as a reason to justify her parsimony and not realizing the context.

why can't anyone give the FA the benefit of the doubt instead of automatically rushing to judgment that she's a racist and her comments were clearly intended as such?

See above. That said, given the history of this country over the past 14 years, it is hard to not make that connection.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos