Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A332DTW

UA Refuses To Serve Soda Can To A Muslim Woman

Sun May 31, 2015 8:17 pm

If it is the case that unopened cans are only served if the beverage is for purchase (btw, who drinks beer out of a can anyway?), a simple explanation of "I'm sorry, but only purchased beverage products are served in unopened cans" would have deterred any embarrassment, bigotry allegations and the bigot himself in the back would have kept his mouth shut. Unfortunately we have a mindset that the boogyman is out to get us ever since 9/11, and that is the reality of not only the aviation industry but the country as a whole; the FA reasoned with "it could be used as a weapon".

mjoelnir

Sun May 31, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 98):
Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 97):
If the F/A refused her a whole can of Pepsi with the declaration the can could be used as a weapon, while giving her seat neighbour a whole can of beer, it does not matter if it was intend or stupidity or whatever.

It does if the can of soda wasn't yet opened while the beer was. The idea isn't that the can is full, but full and closed - if it's closed, liquid cannot escape when thrown, meaning you've got the equivalent of a 12oz brick available. When open, significant amounts of the liquid escape the can when thrown, lessening its impact.

In every report I've seen so far, the FA made a point of opening the beer can when serving it. She should have simply handed the customer a full soda can when asked, opening it while doing so. Crisis averted.

I know that you will never come down on the side of the passenger.
The F/A gave her neighbour a full unopened can of beer, she reached over and opened it after the lady complained about her treatment.
And the F/A did not defend her against that load mouthed bully.

I understand that you are not able to read what does not fit your biased notion that everything what an airline or the representative of an airline does is always okay and in the best interest of everybody.

The F/A did nothing to avert the confrontation, but I can well understand that you can not wrap your mind around that fact.

[Edited 2015-05-31 14:05:14]

b747400erf

Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 83):

Exactly as I said here racism is in all of us at times.

I wonder why you have still refused to accept you have a hatred of Jewish people, and think that your only fault was hating on certain groups living in your country. Remember when you commented on a similar incident about Jews with "they always try to play the victim" and other awful comments any time Jews or Israel is the topic? No of course not, because you do not see your own bigotry, just like I said.

flyenthu

Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 pm

Quoting sldispatcher (Reply 99):
#1:

#2: A flight attendant made what appeared to be a poor decision. Can't we just get over it?

#5. And I am sick and tired of people hollering out about discrimination as a reason they get mistreated. EVERYONE gets discriminated against sooner or later. Grow a pair and get on with life.

What the heck are you trying to say? Just get over it? Everyone gets discriminated sometime?

You are probably coming from a very privileged place to be so dismissive and cavalier. Do you have any idea of the experiences and historical challenges of people of color or religion or sexual orientation? Do you not have empathy?

I am all three of those- try living in my shoes for a day!

[Edited 2015-05-31 13:45:22]

ORDJOE

Sun May 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Lets everyone take a deep breath and relax. It is entirely possible this is true, or entirely possible this is made up. I am more inclined to believe it is made up for a variety of reasons. However I am sure UA will be looking into this matter

pvjin

Sun May 31, 2015 8:48 pm

Diet coke includes aspartame and other nasty chemicals that aren't good for your health, this woman should thank UA for possibly saving her form cancer. I don't understand why anyone would drink that stuff.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

SOBHI51

Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 pm

Quoting mham001 (Reply 81):
And a Muslim woman said it, it must be true.

So let me get this, i will also use some of your other postings

Muslim = terrorist
Muslim = liar

Excellent.

Quoting smokeybandit (Reply 85):
Then the passenger played the Muslim card.

Well this should have been used after the idiot in few rows behind with his racist remarks.

Quoting yenne09 (Thread starter):
http://airlines.einnews.com/article/268278990/l4j4S4HAy4KAEaK0

The story is not there anymore.

So when a gay lady asks for advice from a Saudia operator about a trip via RUH and she received a friendly one, this is discrimination, court papers served in supersonic speed, calls for banning SV from flying to the USA, and the above case is just a simple mistake, makes me wonder.

[Edited 2015-05-31 14:05:30]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

smokeybandit

Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 pm

Quoting A332DTW (Reply 100):
(btw, who drinks beer out of a can anyway?)

Actually, in current times the can is a preferred method of bottling beer than glass. Cheaper, retains flavor better (cans are coated with a flavor "protector" and obviously don't let light in to break down the beer). Many respected craft breweries are moving towards the can.

mjoelnir

Sun May 31, 2015 9:01 pm

ASFlyer

Sun May 31, 2015 9:10 pm

This whole thread has gotten more than a little ridiculous. People here saying she has witnesses. People saying she doesn't have witnesses. People saying that she would never makeup such a story, others saying she had to have made it all up. Some siding with the woman that is making the accusation, others siding with the Flight Attendant. The fact of the matter is that nobody here knows anymore than the rest of the general public. We've all read the news article or seen the blurb on television news and beyond that, nobody knows. I think we can all agree that news outlets rely on a bit of sensationalism to draw people in, look at the recent report by a Chicago station about a Flight Attendant having her picture taken in an engine cowling. Beyond the airline and possibly the airport, who cares? But that got a fair amount of air time. People go directly to social media these days to air their complaints because it's fast and, largely, more effective than trying to sort out your issues directly through the airline. It also allows you to vent and get just a little bit of "vigilante justice" in a pretty quick manner. Having said all that, we should all acknowledge that there are at least a few very bad Flight Attendants out there in a sea of also very good ones. Having said that, it's not hard to imagine that someone would say or do something that put their company and themselves in a bad light. I guess, what I'm trying to say is that so many of you are speaking with so much authority on this topic - none of you know what happened. You know one side of the story - the side of a woman who is angry, whether it's right or wrong. We've yet to see whether anyone the plane would support her accusations. I suppose if nobody steps up to support her, some of you will just believe that the entire plane was filled with bigots and liars. Nobody is going to win here.

[Edited 2015-05-31 14:13:11]

SOBHI51

Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 66):
Sorry but being honored by our currently leader hardly is a qualification of ones veracity.

How about a Rabbi?

http://www.timesofisrael.com/leading...slim-leader-claims-discrimination/
Rabbi Shmuly Yanklowitz, executive director of Valley Beit Midrash in Phoenix, Arizona, has known Ahmad since 2006, when they began to be filmed for “The Calling,” a documentary series that follows seven Muslims, Catholics, Evangelical Christians, and Jews as they trained to become professional clergy.

“I really felt bad for Tahera when I read what happened,” Yanklowitz told The Times of Israel.

afcjets

Sun May 31, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting yenne09 (Thread starter):
United Airlines is facind a boycott after a flight attendant refused to serve a can of Diet Coke to a muslim woman
considering that the can "could be used as a weapon'.

I feel terrible for this woman but Muslims boycotting United could possibly backfire because as many if not more people may choose United than boycott, there is still a lot of fear in many flyer's minds especially with what is happening in the world today and officials feel it is only a matter of time before there is another attack in this country perpetrated by Islamic extremists. So whether justified or not, some people will have peace of mind knowing no Muslims are flying United. On the flip side, they may fear United is even more of a target.

DDR

Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 pm

This lady quoted the flight attendant as saying We are unauthorized to give unopened cans to people because they may use it as a weapon on the plane." Who talks like that?

I have been a flight attendant for many years and if this incident did take place, then the Shuttle America flight attendant is an idiot. And I had been working that flight, the guy who told the Muslim lady to f off would have been met by the police.

ikramerica

Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 113):

But you can buy unopened bottles and cans in the terminal...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LVTMB

Sun May 31, 2015 9:22 pm

#1:
The airline didn't discriminate against her. I wish that United would be taken out of it.

#2: A flight attendant made what appeared to be a poor decision. Can't we just get over it?

#3: The boar in the seat across from her has no couth. Unfortunately, you can't be prosecuted for that.

#4. What hygeine issue was the person worried about with an open vs. unopened can of diet coke? Shouldn't she be far more worried about the unhealthiness of the contents of Diet Coke itself?   

#5. And I am sick and tired of people hollering out about discrimination as a reason they get mistreated. EVERYONE gets discriminated against sooner or later. Grow a pair and get on with life.

#1. Actually, an airline employee did. Airline is responsible.
#2. No. If you had been the vistime of such disparate treatment, you would not get over it that easy.
#3. Agree.
#4. It is about this notion that rats and roaches walk over soda cans while stored and transported. That is the way the lemon thing on bear was born. People began spraying lemon juice over the top of the can to desinfect it. That evolve into Corona+lemon. Fast forward to our flight and people, in lieu of lemon, like to wipe the top of th ecan prior to opening it.
#5. Yes, but, while in principle not, some discrimantion is illegal. And bigotry.

MB

sldispatcher

Sun May 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 103):
You are probably coming from a very privileged place to be so dismissive and cavalier

Not anymore dismissive or cavalier in my attitude than you just were towards me.

This is about aviation and experiences on commercial aviation. Last week, my "privileged place" had me on a flight where there were people treated differently based on the seat they were sitting in. Wow. First Class even was given bigger seats while I sat in a small one. I could get mad about it, accept it, or do something about it.

What happened to the lady on the plane was wrong. Period. I don't dispute that.

I have been given the royal middle finger treatment in a South American country whilst serving a people's group who had nothing. That was done to me because I came from a different country. I have been discriminated against because I could not speak a local foreign language elsewhere. My elderly parents have been pulled aside for "extra screening" more times than I can count.

I am not, however, going to sit here and wallow in victimhood. Instead, I'm going to enjoy every opportunity that life gives me.

Ignorance and discrimination flow in all directions. It is not a unidirectional event. To say so is to be as blind as naming United Airlines responsible for this non-event. If they had a class where it was taught to pick out a specific people group and discriminate against them, that is one thing. This is obviously not the case.

This is an overblown story. So yes, the lady and you probably need to get over it...just like I have.

sldispatcher

Sun May 31, 2015 9:26 pm

Quoting DDR (Reply 113):
And I had been working that flight, the guy who told the Muslim lady to f off would have been met by the police.

and I would have applauded you

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 114):
But you can buy unopened bottles and cans in the terminal...

Please do not mention personal responsibility on here. That will not fly. You will get flamed for that one. But still, the FA did not handle it well.

sldispatcher

Sun May 31, 2015 9:30 pm

Quoting LVTMB (Reply 115):
If you had been the vistime of such disparate treatment, you would not get over it that easy.

You have no idea .....

Quoting LVTMB (Reply 115):
It is about this notion that rats and roaches walk over soda cans while stored and transported

Couldn't she just have asked for the can to be wiped? Besides, the FA handled this poorly!!!!!!

SOBHI51

Sun May 31, 2015 9:32 pm

[quote=sldispatcher,reply=116]

People react in different ways facing the same situation, you get discriminated against, you let slide nothing wrong with that, you are trying to get the maximum of life.
Others do feel insulted specially when the situation was aggravated by the added insults from that other bigot passenger and decided to not let go, another choice, both are correct.

DDR

Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 pm

Quoting sldispatcher (Reply 117):

Exactly. The flight attendant in this case caused the entire problem. I can't believe that the FA didn't think what she said would be taken as an insult by the Muslim woman. I am a white person and I would have been offended if she refused me the can "because it could be used as a weapon."

And for the record, my airline has never told us to be afraid of soda cans being used as weapons. If you want the entire can, it's yours. You are my guest and I will do whatever I can to make sure you leave my flights happy.

antoniemey

Sun May 31, 2015 9:36 pm

Quoting Boeing778x (Reply 32):
Really, United...Really?

You'll always be third rate   
Quoting Boeing778x (Reply 51):
Who...was...CONTRACTING for UA. UA crew, says UA on the ticket, same brand, is painted like a UA plane. Don't buy it.

And that same flight attendant could be flying for Delta next week. Does that make Delta third rate?

Don't get me wrong, UA has to deal with the responsibility for this, but it is NOT their employee. It is not a UA policy that caused this issue.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

flyenthu

Sun May 31, 2015 9:42 pm

Quoting sldispatcher (Reply 116):
This is about aviation and experiences on commercial aviation. Last week, my "privileged place" had me on a flight where there were people treated differently based on the seat they were sitting in. Wow. First Class even was given bigger seats while I sat in a small one. I could get mad about it, accept it, or do something about it.

Are you drawing equivalence to this incident and service difference based on airline class?

This pax is not playing the victim. She is an accomplished woman.

[Edited 2015-05-31 14:49:03]

enzo011

Sun May 31, 2015 9:49 pm

It does if the can of soda wasn't yet opened while the beer was. The idea isn't that the can is full, but full and closed - if it's closed, liquid cannot escape when thrown, meaning you've got the equivalent of a 12oz brick available. When open, significant amounts of the liquid escape the can when thrown, lessening its impact.

In every report I've seen so far, the FA made a point of opening the beer can when serving it. She should have simply handed the customer a full soda can when asked, opening it while doing so. Crisis averted.

In all the stories I have read about this incident the FA didn't want to give the passenger an unopened can. She then proceeded to give the passenger next to her an unopened can. When this was pointed out to the FA, she opened the can of the passenger next to her. If the concern is it will be used as a weapon then the procedure followed missed the intention. The FA seemed to want to cover up her mistake by opening the can as soon as it was pointed out to her.

The FA didn't open the can of beer while serving, only after it was pointed out that the can wasn't opened before handing it to the passenger.

Regarding the culpability of United and if they are responsible or not, the fact that you have spokespersons for United contacting the passenger means they are responsible. If they weren't, they would pass on enquiries to the party that is responsible.

sldispatcher

Sun May 31, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 122):
Are you drawing equivalence to this incident and service difference based on airline class?

If you are having to ask that question, you would never get the point no matter how I worded it.

You have already formed your opinion and judging me based on what you perceive are known biases....sound familiar?

What I really would like to know (and doubt we will hear) is the flight attendant's version. Actually, on second thought, nothing to see here.

EA CO AS

Sun May 31, 2015 10:03 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 101):
I know that you will never come down on the side of the passenger.
The F/A gave her neighbour a full unopened can of beer, she reached over and opened it after the lady complained about her treatment.

Perhaps in your race to slam anything I ever say you overlooked the fact that I said the FA should have just given her the full can, opening it as she did so?   

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 101):
The F/A did nothing to avert the confrontation, but I can well understand that you can not wrap your mind around that fact.

Typical ad hominem garbage from you. That can be ignored.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DDR

Sun May 31, 2015 10:11 pm

Ok, here is the deal folks. United is responsible for this mess. THEY chose to use a Shuttle America flight with Shuttle America employees on this flight, instead of mainline. Why? Because it is much much cheaper. Well guess what? You get what you pay for. I am not slamming all regionals. Just the fact that when you go with the lowest bidder, you better be ready to accept the consequences.

It does not matter that Shuttle America operates for other airlines too. This happened on a UA branded flight. So, the UA apologists need to stop with the "it wasn't UA." Except for any frequent flyers that were on the flight, everyone else will be telling the story about what happened on their United Airlines flight.

flyenthu

Sun May 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Quoting sldispatcher (Reply 124):

If you are having to ask that question, you would never get the point no matter how I worded it.

I get it and I live it. I am an American, brown, gay male who was raised in a faith that is in the minority in the US. I have become successful enough to know that crying wolf and making excuses do not work. Yet, I must call out when I see those in the majority being dismissive and cavalier about experiences of minorities and asks them to move on, "grow a pair," or simply "get over it."

Your words here can be interpreted cumulatively. Your words; not mine. Your words indicate that you fail to understand or get how a person is left to feeling reduced or "less than" when they are discriminated because of ascribed characteristics, such as race, religion, sexual orientation; something that is innate to them.

I cannot change how I look or how my name sounds, or who I choose to be with, but if I am picked on and mistreated by someone solely because of these characteristics, then, that is an awful feeling. I am not sure if you have had that experience or have lived with the threat of that experience. Because if you had, then I don't think you would say something like this:
"And I am sick and tired of people hollering out about discrimination as a reason they get mistreated. EVERYONE gets discriminated against sooner or later. Grow a pair and get on with life."

[Edited 2015-05-31 15:29:26]

[Edited 2015-05-31 15:30:02]

Mir

Sun May 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 84):
Are you joking!?! So, paying five bucks is all there is to it here?

No, because sodas are free. But it is very common to not get a full can unless you ask for it. Most passengers who don't fly frequently don't know this, and thus accept what they are given. If she had asked for the full can she might have gotten it, but she instead asked for an unopened one, which isn't quite the same. I'm not blaming her for that - she likely didn't know. And the FA didn't handle it very well, but I don't necessarily see that as a sign of malice or racism on the FA's part.

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 96):
To the F/A, the security concerns clearly did not apply to the beer pax but it applied to the Muslim pax. The F/A's intentions were clear as she discriminated against a pax based on the appearance that she deemed was Muslim.

Or the FA just made an honest mistake not opening the can of beer.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

scbriml

Sun May 31, 2015 10:32 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 80):
No, both the airplane and the ticket have "Operated by Shuttle America" on them.

Like this Shuttle America plane?   

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Len Schwartz

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

kgaiflyer

Sun May 31, 2015 10:33 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 127):
Yet, I must call out when I see those in the majority being dismissive and cavalier about experiences of minorities and asks them to move on, "grow a pair," or simply "get over it."

At this point, no major newscast is carrying the story.

Everyone seems to have moved on -- except the woman waiting for her compensation check from SkyWest and A.net.

flyenthu

Sun May 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 130):
At this point, no major newscast is carrying the story.

You are gauging trend from whether or not this story is being covered on TV on a Sunday evening?

You are on social media right now. It happens here in 2015.  

mjoelnir

Sun May 31, 2015 10:44 pm

It does if the can of soda wasn't yet opened while the beer was
In every report I've seen so far, the FA made a point of opening the beer can when serving it.

I think you should read what you write.

Every report I have read makes a point of the F/A serving her neighbour an unopened can of beer.

The F/A refused this lady a can of Pepsi. Than served her neighbour an unopened can of beer. Than explains to the lady that an unopened can could be used as a weapon. The F/A made a point of opening the beer can after she finished insulting the lady.

But that is not all what this F/A does, she accepts, as it seems, that an other passenger verbally attacks this lady.
That seems also OK In your books, as their is nothing an airline crew, staff or representative can do that you disapprove of.

scramjetter

Sun May 31, 2015 10:47 pm

This never would have happened if instead of Coca Cola, she had insisted on Pepsi, because "It's the real thing."

Now that I've associated, in jest, a classic brand with an act of bigotry, let's get to the root of the matter. This woman occupies a seat in the stadium of hatred. I feel bad for United because its contractor employed a bigot that subjectively interpreted the rules of security that exist to keep us all safe. Terror does not discriminate against citizenship, race, or creed. Nevertheless, bigotry recruits all.

If I held a position in public relations with United Airlines or Coke, I would, after careful examination of the details of the incident, use it to some advantage; everyone appreciates a mea culpa. There needs to be adequate training in the rights of the individual and the needs of the traveling public. No business can tolerate a loose cannon that tarnishes the brand and the trust that the customer bestows with each ticket purchase.

In the end, every passenger is a consumer, that votes with their currency. If the management can not take action to bias their business in favor of the very instrument of their industry, then they will trod the path to the status of also-ran.

EA CO AS

Sun May 31, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 128):
the FA didn't handle it very well, but I don't necessarily see that as a sign of malice or racism on the FA's part.

I cannot for the life of me understand the rush by so many to automatically assume this was a deliberately malicious act.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Planesmart

Sun May 31, 2015 11:01 pm

I have no idea of Muslim customs in respect to serving food and drink, but then neither does it appear do most posters.

It highlights some airlines, with a significant international presence, and / or those keen to fly international passengers domestically, invest the money and time training and recruiting staff with the required knowledge and empathy, and others don't.

The bigot a few rows back should have been collected by airport police at the destination. He/she was the risk factor on this flight.

alfa164

Sun May 31, 2015 11:06 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 48):
It wasn't United, it was Shuttle America who also serves DL and AA.

The thread title is wholly misleading and should be changed. Shuttle America, not United, was the airline. The flight attendant didn't refuse to serve her, the flight attendant refused to give her an unopened can. But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of driving clicks on the site.

It cannot be stressed enough; she was on a United ticket, with a United flight number, and United markings on the plane. They are responsible for the flight experience.

All major airlines contract for their regional flights, and in doing so establish the standards under which those airlines re supposed to fly. Most try to make the "regional" experience as equivalent to "mainline" experience as possible; thus the move to First Class, wi-fi, Premium Economy, etc., on those smaller jets.

In this case, UA has (rightfully) taken their responsibility and contacted the passenger. We should all hope it can be resolved amicably.

Quoting DDR (Reply 126):

Ok, here is the deal folks. United is responsible for this mess. THEY chose to use a Shuttle America flight with Shuttle America employees on this flight, instead of mainline. Why? Because it is much much cheaper. Well guess what? You get what you pay for. I am not slamming all regionals. Just the fact that when you go with the lowest bidder, you better be ready to accept the consequences. It does not matter that Shuttle America operates for other airlines too. This happened on a UA branded flight. So, the UA apologists need to stop with the "it wasn't UA." Except for any frequent flyers that were on the flight, everyone else will be telling the story about what happened on their United Airlines flight.

I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

dallasnewark

Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 pm

Quoting Planesmart (Reply 135):
The bigot a few rows back should have been collected by airport police at the destination. He/she was the risk factor on this flight.

And what kind of a risk did the bigot posed? I'm not defending that fool, but its his right to be a bigot, and he is no more of a risk than this complainer is
B732/3/4/5/6/7/8/9, B742/4, B752/3,B762/3/4, B772/3, A306, A318/9/20/21, A332/3, A343/6, MD80/83/88, L1011, TU104/134, F

mjoelnir

Sun May 31, 2015 11:28 pm

Quoting dallasnewark (Reply 137):
And what kind of a risk did the bigot posed? I'm not defending that fool, but its his right to be a bigot, and he is no more of a risk than this complainer is

He has no right to verbally attack an other passenger and even less threatening her. He may be a bigot as long as he does it quietly.
Not handing him over to the police makes a statement to the passenger he verbally attacked.

Homobohemicus

Sun May 31, 2015 11:51 pm

122+ replies and counting! Come on guys...

We have no real facts here. Lets wait for the dust to settle and then make judgements and proclamations. Who knows.. It could be:

- An abuse of the US court system with "please give me a big bag of money in damages as I am forever scarred due to ................ (add any ridiculous reason)" .. Someone after cash?

- An attendant having an incredibly bad day and snapping? (not an excuse and if the words stated in the article are true, then that crew member has big problems. With advice to seek employment elsewhere other than the service industry);

- An attendant who simply has issues against other races, minorities, etc...? (not acceptable under any circumstances but again it does happen and welcome to the real world. I would have given her a tongue lashing - half Egyptian here. Only a couple of problems... If its a stewardess, then she won't really understand my "come backs" at her (not into females) and honestly the phrasing "tongue lashing" totally creeps me out as it could mean something quite different and too distressing for me to think about. If its a male attendant then big chance he belongs to my clan thus the afore mentioned threat is moot and telling him to shove that can somewhere won't really do the trick;

I don't know what really happened but whatever the outcome, it will be resolved I'm sure. (Have I been politically incorrect or a stereotype yet?  

In case that flight attendant truly stated the security risk in using certain items on board as weapons, then I request United Airlines' immediate action towards this all-new global threat facing air travel (Informing other airlines as well... being the first one to stumble upon it and all). It will be an arduous process but naming and eliminating said items that are potential weapons from all aircraft is paramount.

Items check-list:
1. Coca-cola; (note: need to be quite clear in stating the dangers of the can itself and not the beverage's sugar content)
2. Beer cans; (note: lets not be rash - return to point 2 later on);
3. Intelligence; (as intelligence could be viewed as dangerous by some. It is thus logical to add it on list since it could be used as a weapon);
4. Stupidity; (A more serious ailment threatening security of air travel ... or was it sarcasm? I'm confused)
5. Steel wires located in bras worn by the female kind; (note: for a practical demonstration, borrow one from Connie Lingus down the hall or Rachel Profiling on the 3rd floor);

Meeting supplement:
6. Please review points 1,2 and 3 to update list. After meeting with the airlines' CEO and security officials, we deduced that eliminating items (animate or inanimate) falling under these categories will adversely affect passengers numbers (blacklist proposal: all passengers, crew/staff and everyone present in said meeting);
7. Point 5 was accepted with requests to investigate any other "dangerous" clothing items. (note: don't forget to return the bra to Connie. It's his favourite)...

777way

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:02 am

Quoting homobohemicus (Reply 140):

- An abuse of the US court system with "please give me a big bag of money in damages as I am forever scarred due to ................ (add any ridiculous reason)" .. Someone after cash?

Shes highly educated and working at a University not some trash out to make a quick buck.

Beardown91737

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:04 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 21):

If the story comes from Muslims of any race and Christian Blacks its going to be a lie according the jury on here, to a lesser extent other minorities may also get similar verdict but thats very ra

You haven't read all the posts on this thread have you? Here are two taking the pax side...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 49):
Quoting ltbewr (Reply 13):

Read enough.. you will find a lot of sentiment here against any religion.

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 35):
Nobody in the HISTORY of flying has been refused a DIET COKE..

Except 2002 or so when UA went to Pepsi. It had its own complaint category on the anti-UA site.

Quoting United787 (Reply 16):
I am often given a full can of coke on UA

Same here.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

SOBHI51

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:12 am

Quoting homobohemicus (Reply 140):
An abuse of the US court system with "please give me a big bag of money in damages as I am forever scarred due to ................ (add any ridiculous reason)" .. Someone after cash?

If you took more time to read the details, the following fact should have been very clear

http://kfor.com/2015/05/31/muslim-wo...s-discrimination-on-united-flight/

Ahmad, who has Premier frequent-flier status with United, said Saturday that she had not heard from the airline.

“I’m not doing this to go after United Airlines. This is about bigotry and racism and our country is going through a very difficult time right now. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and so many others worked so hard …” Ahmad said, breaking into tears.

“They strove so hard so that Americans would not mistreat each other on the basis of the color of their skin or religious or ethnic background but I guess we’re still on that journey.”

Boeing778X

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:13 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 90):
Same as the Jews do?

Um, thanks, but we don't need that here, sir   

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 106):
So let me get this, i will also use some of your other postings

Muslim = terrorist
Muslim = liar

You know that's not true.

#1: The airline didn't discriminate against her. I wish that United would be taken out of it.

No, and here's why.

These two points seem pretty synonymous to me. Employees with such high face-to-face interaction jobs like Flight Attendants are representatives to their respected companies, and their actions are reflected upon the company. Like it or not, United is one of the least customer friendly airlines, and this incident is just another example. An employee discriminated in, I'd say, a very offensive way. I'd certainly be offended, and it would be enough for me never to fly United again.

Who is then going to tell her family never to fly them. The Attendant probably cost the airline 20-30 potential customers if customer service mattered that much.

That being said, the airline isn't executives, or planes, or logistics, the airline is the people who make it happen, and when someone effs up this badly, it's going to taint the airline, or, in the case of UA, worsen it's already bottom of the barrel customer service rep.

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 121):
Don't get me wrong, UA has to deal with the responsibility for this, but it is NOT their employee. It is not a UA policy that caused this issue.

I have a really hard time believing that   

[Edited 2015-05-31 17:40:03]
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

777way

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:15 am

Quoting Beardown91737 (Reply 142):

WOW havent you come late to the party.

iowaman

RE: UA Refuses To Serve Soda Can To A Muslim Woman

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:45 am

This thread has been well discussed and is requiring heavy moderation. This thread will be archived for further posts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos