Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Av8rDAL
Topic Author

Southwest To Latin America

Sun May 31, 2015 1:16 pm

I saw a few news articles with limited info suggesting that Southwest may be looking at several new routes to Latin America, beyond Mexico. Possibilities include Chile, Argentina, Peru, Venezuela, and Brazil due to lack of any real LCC activity compared to the rest of the world.

I didn't see anything regarding this topic in a quick search of the forum here. Is this just an unfounded rumor and wishful thinking, or is this actually viable economically? Maybe I'm way behind here, but I am interested in the response here anyway.

Some things to consider:

- routings from a U.S. gateway or somewhere else further south to maximize the reach of the 737

- aircraft range limitations

- costs and ability to offer real savings vs. legacy carriers on established routings. Delta, United, American all are consistent and strong with Argentina, Brazil, Chile etc, esp. on cargo.

Sources:
http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...entina-venezuela-chile-and-brazil/

Discuss...
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

raddek

RE: Southwest To Latin America

Sun May 31, 2015 1:56 pm

This topic has been heavily discussed in many previous WN threads. A specific thread may be good, but there really
wont be any Brazil or deep South America flying unless WN gets widebody aircraft or they use a Central America 5th
Freedom hub like San Jose, Costa Rica. The MAX wont have legs for FLL-GRU for example

incitatus

Sun May 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 1):
ess WN gets widebody aircraft or they use a Central America 5th
Freedom hub like San Jose, Costa Rica.

There is another option that covers a large swath of land: SJU. With 737-MAX WN can cover all cities that matter except perhaps EZE and SCL.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Venezuela747

Sun May 31, 2015 4:10 pm

You can forget CCS, I don't think any airlines are trying to open brand new service in that country for the time being... It's more like airlines are trying to recover their losses
ROLL TIDE!!!

Boeing778X

Sun May 31, 2015 4:18 pm

Any news on WN to SAL?

My grandmother, who's from there, is always asking. She currently uses UA, and would trade up to WN when applicable.
United Airlines: $#!ttin' On Everyone Since 1931

TUSDawg23

Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 2):
There is another option that covers a large swath of land: SJU. With 737-MAX WN can cover all cities that matter except perhaps EZE and SCL.

I have a very hard time believing WN would try and start a large operation out of SJU with the terrible economy in Puerto Rico right now. B6 seems far better positioned for expansion out of SJU right now and I think they are tempering their expectations right now until the economic situation improves there.

WN's focus needs to be on building it's international gateways in HOU and BWI to connect the dots with Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. It will take time to build these markets and they are going to face a lot of competition. From that point, they will look at a few other focus cities to expand international flying. Until they've proven themselves and are making money on the routes will they really start to look at South America flying and the possible addition of another fleet type.

[Edited 2015-05-31 09:37:33]

spinkid

Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting Venezuela747 (Reply 3):
You can forget CCS, I don't think any airlines are trying to open brand new service in that country for the time being... It's more like airlines are trying to recover their losses

Agreed, no one new is going to CCS for a while.

TWA772LR

Sun May 31, 2015 5:26 pm

Is it possible WN can set up a scissors hub in Central America in underserved cities? BZE and GUA come to mind, even MGA, SJO if they want to be ambitious and go against Avianca.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

avi8

Sun May 31, 2015 6:02 pm

GUA is pretty strong for AV, but SJO is stronger I think. I hope GUA is on WN's radar in the short term.
avi8

usflyguy

Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Quoting TusDawg23 (Reply 5):
WN's focus needs to be on building it's international gateways in HOU and BWI to connect the dots with Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

and the new 5 new international gates being added to the WN terminal at FLL. I have a feeling they have big plans for FLL that doesn't include Mexico...
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

fastmover

Sun May 31, 2015 6:33 pm

Don't forget FLL is home to Spirit and jetBlue I don't think SWA is just going to roll in there a take over.

I also don't think they are going to be able to set up a hub in SJU

I feel SWA is a little late to the FLL-International market and is going to have to fight two carriers who have a very large presence there

FlyingSicilian

Sun May 31, 2015 7:12 pm

Have not WN already stated, or at least hinted, that HOU and BWI will be big int'l players for them?
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

BerenErchamion

Sun May 31, 2015 7:32 pm

What about Asia?

A base at Anchorage would put all of Russia, China, Europe, most of India (admittedly not Mumbai, Chennai, or Hyderabad, but Kolkuta and New Delhi would be reachable), most of the Middle East (Riyadh and Abu Dhabi being the big misses), and northern Africa in range of the 73G.

And another base at Won Pat Airport in Guam would add Australia and New Zealand and the rest of India into the mix.

Between Won Pat, Honolulu, Anchorage, and San Juan, WN could easily serve the entire world except for a narrow strip of east Africa and the southwestern part of the Arabian peninsula, all in range of a 737-family aircraft.

2travel2know2

Sun May 31, 2015 7:59 pm

WN has to first get its act together @ HOU and BWI re: Latin America and The Caribbean.
Eventually WN will need a focus operation somewhere in (South East) Florida; MIA could be out of the question as of now, FLL may be saturated and a blood-bath among B6, NK and WN, PBI is too far north to be that appealing for the Dade and Broward counties' passengers.
Selected Caribbean/Central American routes out of BNA could work, same could be said for MDW and PVD.
Unless WN really risk it trying to get international gates at either ISP or SWF, IMHO, WN will have an international routes gap in NYC region. But an option could be to operate international @ EWR between 2300h and 0600h.

As for WN setting up a hub-like operation somewhere in Central America, Panama City has one extremely underused airport (BLB Howard Panama-Pacifico) and an airport with brand-new not-used-at-all terminal and runway (ONX France Field Presidente Jímenez) awaiting airlines to make the best use of them.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

LTU932

Sun May 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 7):
SJO if they want to be ambitious and go against Avianca.

I wouldn't mind if Costa Rica's DGAC gives WN 5th freedom rights. It would probably not be a competition with AV, but rather with CM in some way, because they do have 5th freedom rights out of SJO. SJO has been something like their home away from home for years as CM's major focus city. Whether that would be economically viable and a good business decision, that's a different subject.

Quoting avi8 (Reply 8):
GUA is pretty strong for AV, but SJO is stronger I think.

AV has massively dehubbed SJO, flights got even cancelled suddenly, without any prior notice and no chance of rebooking when that happeened (something for which people in the EU and in the US would sue an airline). I don't really think AV has any big interesst in SJO, and the massive sudden dehubbing is IMO a big indication of that.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

FlyingHollander

Sun May 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Quoting BerenErchamion (Reply 12):
A base at Anchorage would put all of Russia, China, Europe, most of India (admittedly not Mumbai, Chennai, or Hyderabad, but Kolkuta and New Delhi would be reachable), most of the Middle East (Riyadh and Abu Dhabi being the big misses), and northern Africa in range of the 73G.

What???

TOK or DUB might theoretically be possible with quite some restrictions. Anything further is definitely out of the question.

I really hope you weren't serious.

[Edited 2015-05-31 13:29:32]

I should have read a bit further...  banghead 

[Edited 2015-05-31 13:33:56]
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

rosskin92

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:08 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 7):
s it possible WN can set up a scissors hub in Central America in underserved cities? BZE and GUA come to mind, even MGA, SJO if they want to be ambitious and go against Avianca.

SJO or GUA are the most viable.

I hope that WN busts into MGA soon. Fares go for 750+ most of the time (same as BZE, where WN is offering 419 r/t!).

Latin America needs a major shakeup.

barney captain

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 am

Quote:

Quoting FlyingHollander (Reply 15):
What???

TOK or DUB might theoretically be possible with quite some restrictions. Anything further is definitely out of the question.

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea how an ANC hub would put any part of Europe in play, let alone parts of India. Northern Africa???

Weird.

This is a 3400nm great circle range from ANC.

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:03:06]

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:04:21]

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:07:01]

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:08:10]

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:09:12]

[Edited 2015-06-01 02:10:18]
Southeast Of Disorder

christao17

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:13 pm

With several people mentioning the idea of some sort of a hub operation in Central America, that seems like a radical departure from WN's operating strategy, which is primarily point-to-point with minimal connecting. And certainly their connecting isn't run like a typical hub operations.

Quoting TusDawg23 (Reply 5):
WN's focus needs to be on building it's international gateways in HOU and BWI to connect the dots with Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

Exactly - there is plenty of room for them to grow without setting up some sort of Central American "scissor hub".
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

usflyguy

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:27 pm

Quoting fastmover (Reply 10):
Don't forget FLL is home to Spirit and jetBlue I don't think SWA is just going to roll in there a take over.

I feel SWA is a little late to the FLL-International market and is going to have to fight two carriers who have a very large presence there
Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 13):
FLL may be saturated and a blood-bath among B6, NK and WN

With 115,000,000 passengers a year domestically, I'm sure they'll find enough willing to make a connection through BWI, FLL, HOU, and any other station they desire to make an exit/entry point...

Quoting christao17 (Reply 18):
With several people mentioning the idea of some sort of a hub operation in Central America, that seems like a radical departure from WN's operating strategy, which is primarily point-to-point with minimal connecting. And certainly their connecting isn't run like a typical hub operations.

International destinations will be served using a hub and spoke model with international gateways from the US. CUN may have some point-to-point opportunities but just about everything else will go through BWI, FLL, HOU, SNA, etc...
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

crazytoaster

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 19):
Exactly - there is plenty of room for them to grow without setting up some sort of Central American "scissor hub".
With 115,000,000 passengers a year domestically, I'm sure they'll find enough willing to make a connection through BWI, FLL, HOU, and any other station they desire to make an exit/entry point...

I agree, they don't need a "hub" in central america, at least not yet. There are a lot of opportunities that WN can serve from FLL and HOU in particular as far south as Peru with their current fleet.
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.

tu154

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 13):

among B6, NK and WN, PBI is too far north to be that appealing for the Dade and Broward counties' passengers.

PBI is NOT too far north for Broward County passengers. Most of us in Broward consider PBI to be our second option, rather than making the nignmare of a drive into Dade County!
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

flyby519

Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:16 pm

HOU has the potential to be a very successful hub to Mexico/Central America, and that should be the main focus. BWI isn't the greatest location, but can serve as a connect point for token Caribbean destinations serving leisure vacationers from the Northeast.

Trying to build Caribbean destinations from HOU, or Central America from BWI is a bit of a stretch at this point.

INFINITI329

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:07 pm

New to international, but not new to FLL. Because they are one of the major players at FLL they should have no problem filling their international seats. Maybe take some decent fares and good marketing to put the B6 & NK faithfuls into WN seats.

rosskin92

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 23):
New to international, but not new to FLL. Because they are one of the major players at FLL they should have no problem filling their international seats. Maybe take some decent fares and good marketing to put the B6 & NK faithfuls into WN seats.

I don't think they need to convert the b6/NK people over to be successful. Perhaps maybe in FLL, but I think WN will convert the legacy types over easily based soley on cost.

Example, lets look at Chicago-BZE for 11/10-11/17 of this year.

Cheapest legacy:

WN:

Now, IMI I think UA is reacting to WN and trying to match, but still turning out to be more expensive. But note the connection time in IAH for the outbound... 9hours. WN's is 4. Both carriers offer the same service in Y for the route, snacks, BOB w/e. WN offers free bags (even though I do carryon), and has a smaller travel time.

I would take WN even though they are only $50 lower. And people with bags will too, especially since people over pack   

And this is why I am hoping they enter MGA. NK is the only carrier that doesn't run 650-750 fares, but comeon, I don't like the idea of arrival/departure times there at 12/2am. [

avi8

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:51 pm

I can't wait for WN to announce GUA, if they ever do.
avi8

skybird77

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Quoting infiniti329 (Reply 23):

Agreed. I think WN can also steal some of the NK faithful by offering day flights out of FLL in lieu of red eyes to Central America. I know I would prefer arriving at SAP during the day and not late at night.

LAXdude1023

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:58 pm

This is crazy. How many stops to places like GRU and SCL would be needed? Thats not going to attract any kind of decent yields with one stop options through places like MIA, ATL, IAH, and DFW.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

b777900

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 1):

Thats is why WN needs 767 or 757's or even 787's the only way WN will expand Latin America. WN stays with Boeing no Airbus.
[i[b]]Prepare for Gate arrival, Gate 32

barney captain

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting incitatus (Reply 2):

Just for grins, here's the 3400nm range from SJU -

Southeast Of Disorder

Av8rDAL
Topic Author

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:14 pm

Quoting tu154 (Reply 21):
PBI is NOT too far north for Broward County passengers. Most of us in Broward consider PBI to be our second option, rather than making the nignmare of a drive into Dade County!

PBI is definitely an option for me if it's cheaper than FLL or MIA. I'm typically just going to the FLL area anyway, so I avoid MIA like the plague.

Back on original topic:

I think we all agree that lots of South America is reachable with the 73G, but only from a Caribbean gateway, or possibly something 5th Freedom in Central America. That seems to be the main strategic question to be answered outside of government approvals. My thinking is that many of the Central American destinations like Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, etc make more sense, given the large immigrant populations residing in the U.S. as well as U.S.-based leisure tourism seeming to fit WN’s customer profile better. The routings to/from major gateways in Brazil, Chile, Argentina seem to be better suited for legacy widebody operators with a premium cabin and lots of space in the belly for produce and other cargo. Grapes from Chile and asparagus from Peru make Delta a ton of money.

The question remains though, is there any truth the originally-posted links that WN is actively – as in right now - seeking approvals for new destinations in South America? Or is this just hear-say to generate clicks for ad revenue?
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

raddek

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:16 pm

I feel SWA is a little late to the FLL-International market and is going to have to fight two
carriers who have a very large presence there

WN being late to the game? Sure, you could say that. But WN can go into FLL and do exactly what DL is doing to AS in
SEA.

Adding flights and making NK and B6 sweat the competition. WN has deeper pockets and traffic that B6 or NK do as
a whole. WN won't have any issues filling their seats. They have been doing a good job of it for over 40 years. These other
younger airlines should be the ones worried about when WN comes in and takes market share and pax.

fastmover

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Oh Please
Yes the mighty SWA who can do no wrong.
Fine go to FLL with the very original plan of opening an international hub in 2017.
I am sure NK and Jetblue will be kicked to the curb in no time.
It work very well in PHL and BOS.
You are going to have to take on 2 very strong airlines so I wouldn't act like this ill be some cake walk for SWA

http://bidnessetcnews.tumblr.com/pos...s-been-a-better-bet-than-southwest

[Edited 2015-06-02 13:30:20]

LAXdude1023

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:32 pm

Quoting raddek (Reply 31):
WN being late to the game? Sure, you could say that. But WN can go into FLL and do exactly what DL is doing to AS in
SEA.

No, they cannot.

DL has a large fleet of planes that can fly 4000 plus miles. WN doesnt have any.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Abeam79

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:18 pm

Quoting fastmover (Reply 32):
Adding flights and making NK and B6 sweat the competition. WN has deeper pockets and traffic that B6 or NK do as
a whole. WN won't have any issues filling their seats. They have been doing a good job of it for over 40 years. These other
younger airlines should be the ones worried about when WN comes in and takes market share and pax.

There you have it folks, the wn arrogance and why people on this industry look at those at wn and roll or eyes.
WN is not the airline of yesteryear where they can do this. Like fastmover said, look at phl, and what about atl? Delta is having them run for their money.
They have among the biggest costs compared to everyone else now, and everyplace B6 goes, including wn cities, they go gangbusters. It's amazing how free TV/internet/and ample legroom go. The latest customer satisfaction survey has B6 increase by 3 percentage while wn was flat. Given them 11 JD power awards in a row. WN have lots of labor issues bubbling to the surface and the employees are not happy like they used to be and it shows in the falling numbers. JetBlue customers are extremely loyal, cause they understand the value of the product for the price.
They are too late, and good luck with the fll plan. A customer getting more legroom, free TV/WiFi for the same price as wn. There is no brainer wn will be sweating it out, and it won't be from the south Florida heat.

point2point

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:55 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 11):
that HOU and BWI will be big int'l players for them
I'm sure they'll find enough willing to make a connection through BWI, FLL, HOU, and any other station they desire to make an exit/entry point...
International destinations will be served using a hub and spoke model with international gateways from the US. CUN may have some point-to-point opportunities but just about everything else will go through BWI, FLL, HOU, SNA, etc..

I'm not sure that a lot of connects are really what carriers want really focus on these days, but if they must, then the above, along with ATL would make sense for these.

But to add to the above list I would think that also MDW and DEN, even possibly LAX will see some south of the boarder traffic. MDW is WN's largest market, and DEN of course is WN's fastest grown market, and then LAX, well.... all these markets command tons of O&D on their own, which is what the carriers want. I could see quite a few points in Central America doing quite well from them, as O&D already exists within a number of points between those (e.g. F9 not flying DEN-SJO daily anymore, or MDW/DEN/LAX-BZE 2x) and I would think that WN would not feel pushed to make tons of daily flights into Central America from the U.S. in the way they handle domestic scheduling.

A lot to be said for the O&D pax where they can be found.

Just my   

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 am

Quoting point2point (Reply 35):
I'm not sure that a lot of connects are really what carriers want really focus on these days, but if they must, then the above, along with ATL would make sense for these.

WN has already said they are building things like the 5 int'l gates at HOU to capture not only local traffic (for HOU, and everything from DAL since they can't go int'l) but feed from the network.

I am sure at some point seeing flights from other locales will happen but the bigger int'l terminals for WN, as they stated in prior releases, will be big on the initial growth for all the outside US border traffic.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

usflyguy

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 am

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 34):
They have among the biggest costs compared to everyone else now, and everyplace B6 goes, including wn cities, they go gangbusters.

Tell me, how is B6 doing in DFW/DAL, IAH/HOU, AUS (that focus city didn't quite materialize), PHX, DEN, SFO, ATL, BNA, CMH, shall I continue?

It's funny that you start your post with a comment about the arrogance of fans of WN and then you spout some arrogance of your own.

Quoting point2point (Reply 35):

International flights aren't generally point-to-point services... I don't think ATL is filling up all of those international flights with O&D pax... the same for ORD, DFW, PHL, SEA, SFO, DTW, MSP, etc., etc., etc...

Abeam79

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:35 am

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 37):
Tell me, how is B6 doing in DFW/DAL, IAH/HOU, AUS (that focus city didn't quite materialize), PHX, DEN, SFO, ATL, BNA, CMH, shall I continue?

WHAT? SFO? DEN? DFW? HOU? AUS? PHX? They are still there aren't they? For what over 6+ years, and its making money, and it took a little time to mature, but its working, ESPECIALLY SFO with mint and LAS is doing very well from SFO. So lets not get out of hand.
ATL was way too early in their game and was a very small airline at the time to make it worth against big Delta, now they are positioned well for it so tune in for it to come soon. BNA/CMH were doing OK, again way back when they started with the E190's, but they started the Caribbean at the same time and they we're printing money on the new Caribbean routes and the demand was high so they pulled out of the midwest where the margins we're pale compared to Caribbean and S.America and redeployed where it was better needed to make money as a young growing airline, it was a smart busines move. They have been crooning B6 to go back to those markets and plan onto soon from BOS very likely.

usflyguy

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 34):
everyplace B6 goes, including wn cities, they go gangbusters
Quoting Abeam79 (Reply 38):
SFO? DEN? DFW? HOU? AUS? PHX? They are still there aren't they? For what over 6+ years, and its making money, and it took a little time to mature, but its working, ESPECIALLY SFO with mint and LAS is doing very well from SFO. So lets not get out of hand.

I was pointing out that none of those cities were going gangbusters, and they aren't. Spin it all that you would like. B6 implemented mint because they were getting left in the dust by VX and other airlines new products and services in F. Spin it all that you want, but B6 didn't do that just because they felt like it.

phillyramp270

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Fact of the matter is... Out of all the issues Southwest has with expanding, Range fixes 90% of those issues and then the only question would be... Where would we fly from

Southwest Needs widebodies... Period! It's stupid WN to buy 757s of any variety, it's only logical for them to buy the smallest 787... Which may be too much range but you can't beat the efficiently and they will still have a Boeing fleet
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesu

asteriskceo

Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Quoting phillyramp270 (Reply 40):

And where would they operate these wide bodies from? Their choice to operate out of secondary airports, with shorter runways, may come back to bite them. Plus, gate space may be an issue at their primary airports.

phillyramp270

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 41):

You didn't read all of my post... I have no idea, they can't do it at Houston? Or Phoenix? Those cities for international gateways would be perfect
Barack Obama is not a foreign born, brown skinned, anti-war socialist who gives away healthcare. You're thinking of Jesu

SWADawg

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Sure they can. HOU can easily allow 787's to Takeoff and Land without issue.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

phillyramp270

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 43):

There it is... Southwest needs 787's to be based out of IAH

asteriskceo

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Quoting SWADawg (Reply 43):
Sure they can. HOU can easily allow 787's to Takeoff and Land without issue.

HOU's longest runway is 7,600 feet long. Surely there will be payload hits, especially in bad weather.

n562wn

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Quoting phillyramp270 (Reply 42):
You didn't read all of my post... I have no idea, they can't do it at Houston? Or Phoenix? Those cities for international gateways would be perfect
Quoting asteriskceo (Reply 45):
HOU's longest runway is 7,600 feet long. Surely there will be payload hits, especially in bad weather.

Or DEN, BWI, LAS, OAK, ATL, FLL, MCO, STL, BNA, LAX, etc... The biggest glaring hole in WN's system that doesn't have runway length to accommodate the 787 performance wise and would be a logical launching point would be MDW. HOU may be a bit on the short side as well, but since I can't imagine you would be anywhere near MTOW conditions to fly to South America, it should be feasible there as well.

[Edited 2015-06-03 09:50:16]
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

point2point

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:52 pm

International flights aren't generally point-to-point services... I don't think ATL is filling up all of those international flights with O&D pax... the same for ORD, DFW, PHL, SEA, SFO, DTW, MSP, etc., etc., etc...

WN has continually done its own thing in the U.S. air carrier world, and has created a business model of its own - I don't think that anyone can argue with that too much? So to continue with that, the point-to-point pax has basically been what has been its strength, yes? And yes, even though WN does currently cater some domestically to connect pax, even by way of same plane one-stop (or maybe even two-stops) between points, with international, I think that we can agree that same plane one-stop service isn't what it is domestically.

And yes, I do think that there will be more connect pax for WN than domestic when going south of the boarder, but I also don't think that they will altogether abandon any lucrative O&D pax along routes where they may be. Geography will play some importance (HOU, FLL), but then when O&D pax may be (MDW, DEN, LAX/SNA) generated between points, I would think that WN management will also add international routes there as well.

Although certainly this is only my speculation here, and time will tell whether this happens or not, I think that WN is certainly big enough and established enough to do what they see fit to best further their business model. And that model in the past has mainly focused on and created O&D pax between points. And yes, as international flying is somewhat different than domestic, I just don't see them totally ignoring O&D pax where they either exist or have a good chance of being created through WN's (whether in reality or perceived) lower fares, as they have throughout their history.

fastmover

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I guess SWA doesn't have any weak markets  

raddek

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:13 pm

Quoting fastmover (Reply 32):
Oh PleaseYes the mighty SWA who can do no wrong.Fine go to FLL with the very original
plan of opening an international hub in 2017.I am sure NK and Jetblue will be kicked to the curb in no time.It work very
well in PHL and BOS.You are going to have to take on 2 very strong airlines so I wouldn't act like this ill be some cake
walk for SWA

Never said WN could do no wrong. But the mighty B6 and NK will begin to struggle with WN in the picture.

It won't be a cake walk, but just like in DEN, 3 hubs wont work out in the long run. The weaker of the 3 will struggle.

Now even though FLL won't be considered a hub for WN, it will be a Intl connecting point with a lot of traffic being
fed thru it. It will get crowded and the big baboon in the tree will get his bananas. I think B6 has the most to lose from
WN being in FLL.

NK will keep their garbage low fares to survive, and WN will match or try to beat out B6 on fares more than likely.
So there doesn't leave a whole lot of room. Now if the whole NK rumor I heard a while back of them going to move
their FLL ops to MIA becomes a reality, then B6 won't have any worries.

All I am saying Is the tree is going to get crowded.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos