kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 10/15: Future Focused Flying

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:33 am

Good morning folks!

As we're heading towards the 200 mark again, I thought it best to start a new thread. 9/15 ran pretty quickly, for reasons which will have surprised none of us!

So, the government has decided to sell its shareholding in Aer Lingus to IAG and now, we wait to see what FR will do. Will they make life easy for themselves and sell out, OR will they continue the circus and run up some more legal fees. We'll just have to wait and see.

Political reaction in Ireland has been low key, but not entirely positive; the calmer heads saw that this was a necessity. EI's future is better with IAG and now it will have the investment it needs to focus on growth - new routes, new destinations, building the DubHub.

We also found out that plans for the new parallel runway are being dusted off and let's hope that this moves forward quickly; we'll probably have a new runway in Dublin before Heathrow has its third!

So, boarding passes and ID at the ready; buckle up and let's go!

Here's the link to 9/15, if anyone wants to refer back: Irish 9/15: Throttles To The Firewall ... (by kaitak May 24 2015 in Civil Aviation)

jah718

RE: Irish 10/15: Future Focused Flying

Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:23 am

I saw a posting of EI-EWR photos by MichaelEI alluded to in a number of posts in the previous thread, however, the actual post appears to have disappeared. Does anyone know where it went or if MichaelEI would be kind enough to repost?

frostyj

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:15 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 187):

Mayhe but all the other fights in July have about 6 seats booked.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:23 am

With the announcement that MAN and LHR are to get US Pre clearance I wonder what the impact with be on Ireland in terms of a selling point. It will no longer be a unique feature.

---

The dreaded bag fees get hiked today !

Ryanair and Aer Lingus to hike fees for peak summer months
Baggage fees rise from June 1

Ryanair and Aer Lingus are set to raise their checked baggage fees by up to €15 for the busy summer holiday period.
Both airlines' 15kg checked bag fees increase from €15 to €25 per sector from June 1 to September 30.
A 20kg bag rises from €25 to €35 during the same period, and from €35 to €45 in the case of select, longer flights - to Corfu and the Canary Islands, for example.

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...r-peak-summer-months-31265019.html

---

Some rather disappointing news for ORK if its axed. If you can't make IBZ work in peak then what routes would?

New Cork Airport routes in doubt before first flights take off

CSA Czech Airlines last night blamed poor advance bookings for its decision to review the planned launches within weeks of its Cork to Prague and Cork to Ibiza routes.

The airline said that it will announce within days whether it plans to proceed with the routes or not.
The Cork to Prague route, which was announced last November, was due to operate twice weekly on Friday and Mondays from Cork and Thursdays and Sundays from Prague.
It would have added 13,000 seats available to and from Cork Airport over the summer.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...first-flights-take-off-333921.html

EI121

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:27 am

Mentioned yesterday on the Thread:

IAG boss Willie Walsh wants expanded Aer Lingus to target Asian destinations:

Aviation chief Willie Walsh sees opportunities for Aer Lingus in destinations like India, Japan and China.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...t-asian-destinations-31268685.html

frostyj

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:28 am

Where does it say that Manchester and Heathrow are definitely getting preclearance? I don't see this anywhere.
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:33 am

US pre-clearance immigration service rolled out to UK hubs

The US government has announced a major expansion of its pre-clearance operations, which will enable air passengers travelling from the UK to be approved for entry into the US before they arrive in the country.

http://www.traveldailymedia.com/2223...ion-service-rolled-out-to-uk-hubs/

Egerton

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:30 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 6):

The IAG chief Willie Walsh was asked about pre-clearance at LHR during his presentation on the acquisition of Aer Lingus a couple of days ago. His answer was roughly that it was highly unlikely owing to infrastructure constraints. He added that LHR could not be re-structured without massive investment which was highly unlikely.

The recording is on the IAG website, the pre-clearance issue at LHR started at about 29.30 minutes into the recording.

You might perhaps be able to get it on this:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...%20Airlines%20Group%2027.05.15.mp3

dstc47

Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:15 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):
Manchester

Security clearance at Manchester is a nightmare already, with long delays in an undersized facility, so where a US clearance facility could be shoehorned in in the short term is a question I would not like to try to fix. A new purpose built facility will surely be needed, giving DUB some ongoing market advantage.

Eagleboy

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Quoting jah718 (Reply 1):
Does anyone know where it went or if MichaelEI would be kind enough to repost?

I'm sure some others will pop up soon enough.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
With the announcement that MAN and LHR are to get US Pre clearance I wonder what the impact with be on Ireland in terms of a selling point. It will no longer be a unique feature.
Quoting dstc47 (Reply 8):
Security clearance at Manchester is a nightmare already, with long delays in an undersized facility, so where a US clearance facility could be shoehorned in in the short term is a question I would not like to try to fix. A new purpose built facility will surely be needed, giving DUB some ongoing market advantage.

I think DUB is 'safe' for the next 3-5 years. CBP is a big deal and requires a lot of work. Before T2 DUB/SNN only had Immigration pre-clearance, Customs had to take place in the US.
AS part of the construction/design of T2 US CBP was able to dictate some features to allow full CBP facilites onsite. This will be hard to build/integrate into existing multi-terminal hubs such as MAD,LHR,AMS etc.
I feel that new build locations may be needed, which will take a while.

But yes, in the long term DUB/SNN will lose their unique selling point among EU airports.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 5):
Where does it say that Manchester and Heathrow are definitely getting preclearance? I don't see this anywhere.

There's is an active thread in Civil Aviation about it and its been mentioned a a couple of other aviation discussion forums over the last week.

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:25 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 10):
But yes, in the long term DUB/SNN will lose their unique selling point among EU airports.

Yes it wont happen instantly as with all these things once announced it will take some negotiations. Mind you 3 years is not that long really. Lets hope that over this period IAG can build DUB up so it captures the current advantage and maintains it when MAN and LHR opens.

BrianDromey

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:12 pm

LHR could get CBP pre-clearence at new-build Terminals or Satellites. I'm thinking the "toast rack" that is proposed to replace T3 in the central terminal area. I think the long term plan is to have t2 and t5 connected to all the satellites to a "T5D" and /or "T2C" could be defined to accommodate CBP.

ClassicLover

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting jah718 (Reply 1):
I saw a posting of EI-EWR photos by MichaelEI alluded to in a number of posts in the previous thread, however, the actual post appears to have disappeared. Does anyone know where it went or if MichaelEI would be kind enough to repost

That and most of the following posts about the J configurations were deleted for "housekeeping" by a moderator. It's a shame because the pictures were great! Hopefully they will be posted again - promise not to query the 21 vs 23 again - no need now I know the reason  
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:33 pm

The new BE DUB-CWL started today. Lets hope it lasts. Also BE have said they are setting up a base there with 2 E Jets to be based. BHD flights will also be increased.

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 am

Saab have signed a contract with Irish aviation authority for remote towering at SNN, ORK
which then can/will be remotely controlled from DUB

Quoting Saab:

Defence and security company Saab has signed a contract with the Irish Aviation
Authority (IAA) to deliver a Remote Tower Centre to Dublin Airport and the corresponding
remote tower installations at Cork and Shannon Airport. Electronic Flight Strips (EFS) are
also included in the order and will be installed at all three airports.

Saab’s Remote Tower solution is the world’s first operational and approved system.
The Remote Tower installation at Cork and Shannon will be operated from Dublin Remote
Tower Centre and will be a part of the large scale evaluation carried out by SESAR, Single
European Sky ATM Research. The Electronic Flight Strips will be installed in the towers at
Cork, Shannon and Dublin Airport.

Remote towering is already in operation in Sweden at OER (Örnsköldsvik)
which is remotely controlled from SDL (Sundsvall)

[Edited 2015-06-02 02:22:31]
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

OA260

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:48 am

Today sees the arrival of WOW Air to Dublin. Hopefully it will work for them and its great to see another tail at DUB.

http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae40/PhilipOA260/WOWAir_zpsdp43q2oe.jpg

aerlingusa330

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:57 pm

I saw a comment on Instagram that the Omni 767 that EI is using for the summer will be repainted in EI colors. I didn't think OAI repainted planes for leases. Does anyone know if this is indeed true?
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Quoting aerlingusa330 (Reply 16):

Really think EI would of pushed for it because it could be damaging to them if it is not painted.

In other not so positive news Czech Airlines/Cork issued a statement with the expect cancellation of their operations.

https://www.corkairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-06-03/Cork_Airport_Statement_Re_CSA_Czech_Airlines_Routes.aspx

[Edited 2015-06-03 09:35:43]

OA260

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:19 pm

FR have advised they will not accept checked bags for MAD flights.

Ryanair strike headache for Madrid passengers

Ryanair ground crew at Madrid Barajas airport have called an open-ended strike, which is currently affecting every one of the airline's flights to and from the Spanish capital.
Baggage handlers at Madrid Barajas airport are on the third day of an open-ended strike, causing problems for Ryanair passengers who are being forced to take hand luggage only.

http://www.thelocal.es/20150601/ryan...affects-flights-to-and-from-madrid

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:22 pm

Aer Lingus is increasing ORD to 10 weekly through the Winter, until 3 Jan. IAD will be 4 wkly until 4 Jun, but with 757s (not sure if this was stated before?)

Quite interested - and surprised - by WW's comments about possibility of EI flying Asia. Thought that any slim chance that remained of that happening died with the IAG takeover. I think India is out, because it's really ME3 territory and I just couldn't see any circumstances in which it would be prudent for EI to go into that market.

Although ME3 airlines do serve China, this seems to be more viable, particularly if they can get a Chinese carrier to codeshare with. The only OW Chinese carrier is CX/KA. Pretty much an ideal hub for all of Asia, as well as Aus/NZ ... could it happen?

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 19):

Aer Lingus is increasing ORD to 10 weekly through the Winter, until 3 Jan. IAD will be 4 wkly until 4 Jun, but with 757s (not sure if this was stated before?)

Was touched on when they launched their winter schedules around 2/3 weeks ago.

OA260

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 19):
Quite interested - and surprised - by WW's comments about possibility of EI flying Asia.

Previously I have always dismissed the idea but if its going to happen it will be under IAG. It will depend on lots of things but if they got the right codeshares in place it might work. It would need lots of various feed traffic though.

David_itl

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 8):

Oooohhhhh something like this One billion pound MAN expansion announced and with pre-clearance, perhaps?

aerlingusa330

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 17):

Really think EI would of pushed for it because it could be damaging to them if it is not painted.

I sincerely hope they do repaint it. I'll be flying SNN-BOS on it in July, and personally I think the cost of painting it is a small price to pay for the branding and passenger confidence. Although, it will remain an OAI interior.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

AmricanShamrok

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:59 pm

My guesses for Asia (in this order):

- DUB-PEK (4x weekly A330, maybe increasing to daily after time)
- DUB-DOH (a daily 757/A321NEOLR) to be facilitated under codeshare with QR
- DUB-BKK (3x weekly A330; more of a long shot; popular destination with young Irish going travelling. Maybe seasonal but low-yielding and no codeshare partner hub at BKK)

NRT, SIN and HKG are other obvious ones but with relatively small O&D traffic I'd assume. HKG has CX of course and maybe this could facilitate a kangaroo route at some stage in the distant future if EI expansion gets to unprecedented levels.

Quoting aerlingusa330 (Reply 23):
I sincerely hope they do repaint it. I'll be flying SNN-BOS on it in July, and personally I think the cost of painting it is a small price to pay for the branding and passenger confidence. Although, it will remain an OAI interior.

If they repaint the 762 the only differences from the current set-up with the AG 757s will be:
- Slightly different interior (maroon and grey leather seats plus extra aisle)
- American crew

I assume the EI inflight entertainment system will be installed as the leased 767 already offers AVOD at every seat.

Really hope it's true that they are repainting it.

EI121

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 24):
My guesses for Asia (in this order):

- DUB-PEK (4x weekly A330, maybe increasing to daily after time)
- DUB-DOH (a daily 757/A321NEOLR) to be facilitated under codeshare with QR
- DUB-BKK (3x weekly A330; more of a long shot; popular destination with young Irish going travelling. Maybe seasonal but low-yielding and no codeshare partner hub at BKK)

NRT, SIN and HKG are other obvious ones but with relatively small O&D traffic I'd assume. HKG has CX of course and maybe this could facilitate a kangaroo route at some stage in the distant future if EI expansion gets to unprecedented levels.

Very good guesses!! However I would say we will see QR own metal rather then EI on the DOH route. Probably an 788/350?

For the PEK route I think you are spot on, however, with EI timing of things in the past I say a Chinese carrier will get the route before EI do. BKK is definitely a long shot, one I don't think EI will take in the near future.

I wonder if a HKG route with CX would be viable? They seem to be doing quite a bit of expansion in europe lately. However I think a 77W would definitely be too much for this route.

Hopefully some great years of excitement are ahead for us!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic on US Preclerance being introduced in countries in Europe. Will this affect EI in the long run? I know Irelands geographical position has a great advantage for this facility however if more airports offer it. This less DUB and SNN become attractive. I however do not see it in LHR until the new runway is built. MAN is a possibility. But how far away is it until USBP would be open?

EI121

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Quoting EI121 (Reply 25):
On the topic on US Preclerance being introduced in countries in Europe. Will this affect EI in the long run? I know Irelands geographical position has a great advantage for this facility however if more airports offer it. This less DUB and SNN become attractive. I however do not see it in LHR until the new runway is built. MAN is a possibility. But how far away is it until USBP would be open?

USPC has benefited Aer Lingus however they were growing T/A strongly before it and 2014 was really the first year it was marketed by EI.

Other advantages EI have are:
Cost (not UK APD as they pay that)
Connection Times (will increase even more in Europe if USPC is installed)
Brand (US based particularly) which is a huge draw
Convenience of Dublin
Loyalty

MAN does not have a hub carriers, limited Flybe connections and local airports in the UK will always drive the local message and EI need to ensure they take advantage of this. They will never be able to put schedules together to rival the morning transit times at DUB.

OA260

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 am

Quoting EI121 (Reply 25):
However I would say we will see QR own metal rather then EI on the DOH route. Probably an 788/350?

Agreed. I was thinking the same. If QR have any interest it will be with their own metal not a C/S.

---

Pre orders are back ! Good news.

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:00 am

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 17):

In other not so positive news Czech Airlines/Cork issued a statement with the expect cancellation of their operations.

https://www.corkairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/latest-news/15-06-03/Cork_Airport_Statement_Re_CSA_Czech_Airlines_Routes.aspx

[Edited 2015-06-03 09:35:43]

That's a big blow for the airport, not because of the destinations per-se but the message it sends to airlines across Europe. Even from your hub, and a travel agent (semi-)supported pseudo-charter ORK won't work. I dot mean to sound overly dramatic, but this is a disaster for ORK. Airlines juts won't come. Any interest in extra capacity will just be send to DUB.

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 26):

USPC has benefited Aer Lingus however they were growing T/A strongly before it and 2014 was really the first year it was marketed by EI.

Other advantages EI have are:
Cost (not UK APD as they pay that)
Connection Times (will increase even more in Europe if USPC is installed)
Brand (US based particularly) which is a huge draw
Convenience of Dublin
Loyalty

MAN does not have a hub carriers, limited Flybe connections and local airports in the UK will always drive the local message and EI need to ensure they take advantage of this. They will never be able to put schedules together to rival the morning transit times at DUB.

EI have a good product and are upping the ante for business class "guests", a term that is consistently used in this months Cara and all recent advertising. Their UK network is truly impressive, the codeshares with BE to INV and SOU are useful too, a poster in another thread mentioned the network was limited and mainly supported by flyBe, thankfully that's not the case.
Jamie, I take your point that MAN does not have a hub carrier, but sitting at MAN yesterday morning the arrival stream of EY, EK, QR, SQ, AA, US, DL, VS and a host of TCX and TOM widebodies brought home the huge network MAN offers. When you add CX, BA, LH, EI, BS, AF, KL alongside U2 and FR the breath of destinations and options is enormous, MAN arguably benefits from the lack of a Home hub carrier. There aren't many gaps in the network.

al2637

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Ok, time to chip in my 2c on this

• - I don't see significant gains in US capacity from Dublin as a result of the IAG takeover. There will be some, but not huge (DFW, MIA probably). I can see AA possibly handing over some existing routes to EI, and EI moving some capacity around, e.g. perhaps one JFK flight moving to PHL, etc.

• - Most of the UK market is already served by EI, and they have built up a connection business, but again, I'm not sure IAG will increase this hugley. It will be difficult to get existing AF/KL/LH customers to move to OneWorld, as the breadth of desitnations from CDG, AMD, FRA etc will always beat DUB (European, Americas, Asia, Africa etc). Most frequent fliers travel on a wide variety of routes.

• - Moving EI onto IAGs systems, and service levels will be an expensive, recurring cost. These systems typically charge per passenger boarded. Night stopping, AVIOS, etc all have significant cost attached. I would worry about EI's profitability. Obviously IAG need to look at the books, and decide the ROI for each investment. I wouldn't be suprised if they *didn't* implement a lot of the systems BA/IB use. The current EI systems, although sometimes archaeic, are VERY cost effective.

• - Pre-clearance will come very quickly to other European airports. AMS, this week, openend it's new centralized security flow, and US departure control (not CBP, just the mandatory questions US passengers need to be asked). This can be adapted to CBP once there is political agreement.

• - I actually think the current EI management have done a great job over the past 10 years. They come in for a bashing here sometimes, but rememeber, they are a legacy carrier, fighting at the home base of one of the most aggressive airlines in the world, and they are managing to keep their head above water. IAG need to be VERY careful about replacing the management team. EI management try things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (recent catering issues), but they HAVE to. They need to keep themselves as lean as possible. I can see a lot of bloat coming with IAG.

Still not convinced of the merits of the IAG deal.

shamrock604

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:18 pm

Quoting al2637 (Reply 29):
Moving EI onto IAGs systems, and service levels will be an expensive, recurring cost. These systems typically charge per passenger boarded. Night stopping, AVIOS, etc all have significant cost attached. I would worry about EI's profitability. Obviously IAG need to look at the books, and decide the ROI for each investment. I wouldn't be suprised if they *didn't* implement a lot of the systems BA/IB use. The current EI systems, although sometimes archaeic, are VERY cost effective.
I actually think the current EI management have done a great job over the past 10 years. They come in for a bashing here sometimes, but rememeber, they are a legacy carrier, fighting at the home base of one of the most aggressive airlines in the world, and they are managing to keep their head above water. IAG need to be VERY careful about replacing the management team. EI management try things. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't (recent catering issues), but they HAVE to. They need to keep themselves as lean as possible. I can see a lot of bloat coming with IAG.

I'm actually not overly concerned about these issues. Vueling is part of IAG - so the "value carrier" skill set is already within the group. Plus, Willie Walsh was himself responsible for many of the more radical changes within EI - or certainly for creating the environment that allowed later CEOs to build on.

Only the systems that show an ROI will be implemented, of that I have no doubt.

VFRonTop

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:30 pm

. It will be difficult to get existing AF/KL/LH customers to move to OneWorld, as the breadth of desitnations from CDG, AMD, FRA etc will always beat DUB (European, Americas, Asia, Africa etc).

I agree with your point, I don't see DUB competing with AMS CDG and FRA for connectivity or committed FFers. I do see DUB being an alternative to UK regional travellers who don't want to drive/train/bus down to LHR to travel to North America though. Due to BA's relative lack of presence in UK airports (as compared to EI and KL) IAG lose business to AF KL and LH. EI can help redress that.
Besides the potential network and connectivity benefits of the deal, EI will benefit from:
- Better negotiating/bargaining power on aircraft, services, products and charges as part of the larger IAG bloc
- Access to knowledge, data, systems, processes and procedures from three separate carriers to make it more efficient and leaner business.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:42 pm

- I don't see significant gains in US capacity from Dublin as a result of the IAG takeover. There will be some, but not huge (DFW, MIA probably). I can see AA possibly handing over some existing routes to EI, and EI moving some capacity around, e.g. perhaps one JFK flight moving to PHL, etc.

That would be crazy, JFK/BOS are most likely the highest yielding routes and attracting transit passengers, if anything you may see increased capacity to JFK and almost guaranteed to BOS.

Eagleboy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:04 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 28):
EI have a good product and are upping the ante for business class "guests", a term that is consistently used in this months Cara and all recent advertising.

Not sure I have ever charged a guest for drinks whan at my home....perhaps the J Class pax are "guests" but their shorthaul/longhaul Economy pax are definitely "customers" regardless of the words used by EI.

Pre-clearance will come very quickly to other European airports. AMS, this week, openend it's new centralized security flow, and US departure control (not CBP, just the mandatory questions US passengers need to be asked). This can be adapted to CBP once there is political agreement.

US departure control is quit different to actual CBP facilities. The airport has to give CBP complete control over part of its building, CBP control access in/out. CBP in T2 is a huge step up on what previously took place in T1 at DUB.

OA260

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 33):
Not sure I have ever charged a guest for drinks whan at my home....perhaps the J Class pax are "guests" but their shorthaul/longhaul Economy pax are definitely "customers" regardless of the words used by EI.

Very true its all PR spin and never understood why some airlines use this term.

ClassicLover

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:33 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 27):
Pre orders are back ! Good news.

Not really - it's literally only the Irish Breakfast. All the other pre-order items aren't available.

- Moving EI onto IAGs systems, and service levels will be an expensive, recurring cost. These systems typically charge per passenger boarded. Night stopping, AVIOS, etc all have significant cost attached. I would worry about EI's profitability. Obviously IAG need to look at the books, and decide the ROI for each investment. I wouldn't be suprised if they *didn't* implement a lot of the systems BA/IB use. The current EI systems, although sometimes archaeic, are VERY cost effective.

Aer Lingus already has service that is a oneworld standard. The service on EI is easily on par.

With regards to the systems, I wouldn't see that being a big deal as they will benefit from IAG's scale. On it's own it would be expensive for a small airline such as EI - not as part of a large group. Also, Avios are not a significant cost. Airlines like Qantas have a frequent flyer programme that makes the airline money (in the QF case it makes something like A$150 million PROFIT annually). So I disagree with your argument for this entire paragraph really.

- Pre-clearance will come very quickly to other European airports. AMS, this week, openend it's new centralized security flow, and US departure control (not CBP, just the mandatory questions US passengers need to be asked). This can be adapted to CBP once there is political agreement.

The United States Government was recently quoted as saying it takes around 3 years from the start of discussions until the start of services. It will be at least 2018 or 2019 until this happens. In the meantime, IAG has plenty of time to get people used to connecting from the UK regions through Dublin (which EI already does so well - what is it - 40% of their transatlantic passengers are connecting?). It will happen, but I don't believe it's that big a deal. Why? All the regional airports won't have pre-clearance and DUB still may be a cost effective option.

- I actually think the current EI management have done a great job over the past 10 years.

The past 5 years with Christophe Muller were excellent. The previous CEO was piss poor and should never have run an airline. EI was being run into the ground at that stage. I'll give you last 5 years, definitely not the 5 before - absolutely not.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:42 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 35):
Not really - it's literally only the Irish Breakfast. All the other pre-order items aren't available.

I have been onto them today and had an issue as they owed me a few refunds but I got an email saying my original order
( not breakfast ) was still on a booking. Went to try order the breakfast and said I still had one. They are introducing the breakfast again as its easier to bring that one in first. I was told that they will be bringing in more on a phased basis. We shall see but its good news that the most popular of the pre orders is back. Im just glad they didnt axe the lot and do away with pre orders.

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 35):
The past 5 years with Christophe Muller were excellent. The previous CEO was piss poor and should never have run an airline. EI was being run into the ground at that stage. I'll give you last 5 years, definitely not the 5 before - absolutely not.

I think thats a pretty fair assessment.

321neo

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 36):
I have been onto them today and had an issue as they owed me a few refunds but I got an email saying my original order
( not breakfast ) was still on a booking. Went to try order the breakfast and said I still had one. They are introducing the breakfast again as its easier to bring that one in first. I was told that they will be bringing in more on a phased basis. We shall see but its good news that the most popular of the pre orders is back. Im just glad they didnt axe the lot and do away with pre orders.

Out of interest, did they say why the offering was cancelled in the first place?

Eagleboy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:05 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 37):
Out of interest, did they say why the offering was cancelled in the first place?

Would be interesting to see how they spin that faux pas for their guests?

BrianDromey

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 33):

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 28):
EI have a good product and are upping the ante for business class "guests", a term that is consistently used in this months Cara and all recent advertising.

Not sure I have ever charged a guest for drinks whan at my home....perhaps the J Class pax are "guests" but their shorthaul/longhaul Economy pax are definitely "customers" regardless of the words used by EI..

It was specifically in relation to business class "guests", the rest of us must be vermin.

Hopefully Y+ will come soon, then we would be a better class of vermin.

IrishTexan

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:13 pm

Assuming that the IAG purchase of EI does go ahead, and additional long haul routes are duly announced, I wonder what equipment will be used, and from what source. Does EI have much/any slack for 2 new t/a routes being mentioned as commencing in summer '16? If not, where will the equipment come from? IAG carriers reassign some of their fleet? Revive some retirements from the desert southwest? Are there new deliveries that can be allocated? Curious to hear the thoughts of the forum.

JAmie2k9

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Quoting IrishTexan (Reply 40):

Airbus and they will require A332/3 for the new routes.

OA260

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:29 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 37):

No I didnt really need to bring up that conversation Ive already had it at the time it kicked off and I basically told them the reason and that was not denied.

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 38):

A mate of mine was told it was a reorganisation so maybe thats what their line to everyone was if pressed.

Some mixed results especially on Regional.

Aer Lingus has reported an increase of 1.5% in passenger numbers for May.

The airline said it carried a total of 1,062,000 passengers last month, up from the 1,046,000 passengers the same time last year.

Its long haul traffic numbers jumped by 10.9% to 143,000 for May, while its short haul passenger numbers also rose by 2.3% to a total of 813,000.

But passenger numbers on its regional operations - operated by Stobart Air - fell sharply in May, down 13% to 106,000 from 122,000 in the same month last year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015...705963-aer-lingus-traffic-numbers/

EIDL

Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:56 am

. Does EI have much/any slack for 2 new t/a routes being mentioned as commencing in summer '16

Absolutely no spare capacity - it'll be another 333 or two over the winter if this goes ahead.

EI121

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 pm

Quoting EIDL (Reply 43):
Absolutely no spare capacity - it'll be another 333 or two over the winter if this goes ahead.

I say it would be a A332 and A333 as Colm Barrington said they want to start one route to the west coast and one route to the east coast.

Is the extra 757 that was due to enter the fleet next year still going ahead?

dstc47

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Passengers can be devious.
This passenger adopts an unusual strategy to avoid a Ryanair fee to make a change.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0605/706066-ryanair-name-change/

Eirules

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 45):

Don't think it's devious at all. The Ryanair charge is ridiculous. How can they realistically say it costs £200 to change one word on a paperless ticket? Daylight robbery
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

richcandy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:17 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 46):

Yes great idea changing his name rather than paying the name change fee. Except if he wants to still use his original name, then he will need to pay for a second deed poll and another new passport. If he doesn't and wants to use his new name then he will have the fun of dealing with driving licensing authorities, tax people, banks etc.

(Usually the first paragraph of a deed poll says something like from this day forward I "Mr John Smith" will be known as " Mr James Smith" and will no longer used any previous names.)

I wonder how much he will save really.

Alex

[Edited 2015-06-05 06:21:48]

Eagleboy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 39):
It was specifically in relation to business class "guests", the rest of us must be vermin.

I was in T2 today and heard an EI boarding announcement, "we would ask all guests to check their boarding card as we will be boarding by zone"

Does EI have much/any slack for 2 new t/a routes being mentioned as commencing in summer '16?

As above, no reducndancy, unless they reduce the current frequency on some exisitng routes. S15 schedule has a spare A330 on only 2 days of the week, "spare' as in "arrived into DUB this morning and not needed till tomorrow morning"

Quoting EI121 (Reply 44):
Is the extra 757 that was due to enter the fleet next year still going ahead?

Apparently this is not happening now. heard a snippet about it last week, can't vouch for the reliability however.

OA260

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:33 pm

Seems fares are being loaded by EI for a full return to the GDS !

LHRDUB
EI 15.00 AUK26GDS A
EI 20.00 ZUK26GDS Z
EI 24.00 TUK26GDS T
EI 29.00 WUK26GDS W

LHR-DUB fare in GBP . ACE BRU FRA also being loaded. The interesting thing is these include 1 20KG checked bag .

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos