Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAEflyer
Topic Author

All United Airlines Are Grounded

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:44 pm

According to CNBC the flights are grounded , still developing story no official reason is given
http://www.cnbc.com/id/102695092

Stitch

RE: All United Airlines Are Grounded

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:54 pm

Ground stop was lifted after eight minutes and attributed to "automation issues".

LoneStarMike

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:55 pm

The story you linked to has been updated. The stoppage lasted "at least 8 minutes" and the FAA said it was due to "automation issues." It's all systems go now.

LoneStarMike

jetwet1

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm

What is the boot time on a early 2000's Dell PC ?

lpdal

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):

Depends on the condition of the computer, as in, how you treat it.

Computers are just like cars, you need to constantly repair and maintain them so they run as fast when you first purchased the machines. Too many people load their computers up with all kinds of programs, malware, toolbars, etc. and then complain when their machine breaks or is incredibly slow. They expect the thing to perform no matter how much abuse they give it, which isn't the case. Not talking exclusively about UA's PCs, but just in general.

-LPDAL
TWU represented. All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

JetBuddy

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:33 pm

"The total stoppage time was 39 minutes. The FAA originally cited automation issues as the cause for the halt. Shortly after, the agency announced that all United mainline flights were released from the groundstop. "

That's quite a long time to halt all flights.

KarlB737

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Quoting LoneStarMike (Reply 2):
the FAA said it was due to "automation issues." It's all systems go now.

Courtesy: The Washington Post

United Airlines Resumes Flights After They Were Grounded Nationwide

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...ad-b430fc1d3f5c_story.html?hpid=z3

XAM2175

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:49 pm

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
Computers are just like cars, you need to constantly repair and maintain them so they run as fast when you first purchased the machines.

Unless you bought an iMac G3 that came new with OS 10.0, in which case it was totally and completely irredeemable before it even left the factory. It also depends on how sarcastic a particular poster might be trying to be  

BestWestern

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Maybe it was a seat recline issue on 5AB!  
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

bmacleod

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:07 pm

How much would a 39 minute all flights ground-stop cost UA?

[Edited 2015-06-02 09:08:21]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Sooner787

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:09 pm

Perhaps somebody tried loading an A380 seatmap into the system
and it went into shock   

rta

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Flightaware states that 188 UA flights were delayed, which is 9% of today's schedule.

n92r03

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 8):
Maybe it was a seat recline issue on 5AB!  

Classic!

Or is UA running two airlines today?

afcjets

Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Has this ever happened before? My first thought was it was regarding intelligence, but they didn't want to alarm the flying public so the FAA gives some vague reason.

United1

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:28 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 13):

Has this ever happened before?

Yes....computers go down all the time.

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 9):

Someone once told me that every minute of a delay costs $20 (have no idea if that is true or not) but 188 flights x 39 minutes (they would not have all been delayed 39 minutes but whatever) x $20 = $146k....not that much really.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 14):
Someone once told me that every minute of a delay costs $20 (have no idea if that is true or not) but 188 flights x 39 minutes (they would not have all been delayed 39 minutes but whatever) x $20 = $146k....not that much really.

I'm sure it's not a linear thing, but $20 a minute seems incredibly low. That would mean a flight delayed 8 hours only costs $9600.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ajhYXE

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:46 pm

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 3):

Dude, it belongs in the garbage. (Does anyone remember their old commercials from the era?)

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):

Agreed 100 percent! It makes me glad my PC runs as fast as it did the day I built it.

Sorry for being OT, but I felt a strange urge to post this.

[Edited 2015-06-02 11:55:28]
GO RIDERS!

SXDFC

Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Maybe there was a network error when they tried processing the upcoming A380 flights..   

klm672

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:20 pm

Quoting SXDFC (Reply 17):
Maybe there was a network error when they tried processing the upcoming A380 flights..

Nice...but someone beat you...

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 10):

Perhaps somebody tried loading an A380 seatmap into the system
and it went into shock   

Mikey711MN

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Quoting ajhYXE (Reply 16):
(Does anyone remember their old commercials from the era?)

Yes, but I'm still giggling too hard at the prospect of BonziBuddy on a creeky old Dell running Win95 that caused 188 UA flights to be delayed!

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

afcjets

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:52 pm

I meant to the point where an airline the size of United has their entire fleet put on a ground stop by the FAA?

If so, how often? Is it really "all the time?"

United1

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Quoting afcjets (Reply 20):

I meant to the point where an airline the size of United has their entire fleet put on a ground stop by the FAA?

If so, how often? Is it really "all the time?"

So I'm not sure exactly what system went down today but I can think of at least two or three occasions in the past 3 years where a system had failed (Unimatic or SHARES) and either UA ground stopped the airline or flights were delayed while paperwork was done manually. This isn't something unique to UA either DL had it happen in February of this year and I'm sure AA and WN have experienced the fun as well.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/industrie...ts-said-to-be-grounded-nationwide/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...glitch-frustrates-fliers/22771143/

Just as a point of order the FAA doesn't ground stop airlines usually...UA more than likely asked the FAA to issue a ground stop as it's a rather fast way to communicate.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

32andBelow

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 9):

Probably not much. Compressed turn times for the next few flights. Hold some flights of inbound, rebook in bounds within the network as needed.

upcfordcruiser

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 pm

I guess we now know what "PC Load Letter" means

holzmann

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

Any word on possible cyber terrorism?
DISCLAIMER: Airliners.net is an AIRBUS forum. Boeing Commercial Airplanes, if it has considered doing so in the past, should in no way consider supporting this website.

KELPkid

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 21):
Just as a point of order the FAA doesn't ground stop airlines usually...UA more than likely asked the FAA to issue a ground stop as it's a rather fast way to communicate.

Would ACARS be up to message the crews if the other systems mentioned were down?

Just a thought...   
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

32andBelow

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:36 pm

Why would they need to call the FAA? Just have dispatch stop issuing flight plans.

United1

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 26):

Why would they need to call the FAA? Just have dispatch stop issuing flight plans.

There are uncomfirmed reports that the issue was random flight plans being generated and sent to aircraft. The flight plans apparently made no sense and pilots were rejecting them...so might not have been that simple to stop issuing flight plans. A ground stop would have been a rather effective and straight forward way of communicating with pilots the need to hold position.

BTW: I should say that I have no idea if that is what actually happened....more likely then not a system just went down.

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 25):
Would ACARS be up to message the crews if the other systems mentioned were down?

No idea if ACARS was up or down...

[Edited 2015-06-02 16:48:31]

PHLapproach

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:56 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 25):

The system that handles ACARS is separate from the Flight Planning system. They can communicate with each other but don't rely on one another when the other goes down. So ACARS was fully functioning.

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 26):

It's always smart to keep your planes on the ground so that you can get a full grasp and understanding of the situation instead of letting a bank of 200 flights get in the air moments before you realize the issue at hand affects safety of flight. Best course of action is to just have said flights take a delay. Can't get any safer than sitting at a gate or on the taxiway.

Quoting United1 (Reply 27):

There are uncomfirmed reports that the issue was random flight plans being generated and sent to aircraft. The flight plans apparently made no sense and pilots were rejecting them...so might not have been that simple to stop issuing flight plans. A ground stop would have been a rather effective and straight forward way of communicating with pilots the need to hold position.

BTW: I should say that I have no idea if that is what actually happened....more likely then not a system just went down

So with the flight planning system there are two sides you have; the live side and the testing side which is where IT can test things for troubleshooting purposes or just testing a new update before it gets pushed. Now that backend side of the system is not supposed to talk or intermingle with the live system for obvious reasons. For whatever reason, today that testing server hooked up with the live server and unbeknownst to IT they were sending live flight plans that were supposed to be just fake flight plans. Then came the Ground Stop and that was so all crews and dispatchers could verify correct paperwork was on hand and not a test release which were illegal because they had IT personels name on them which are not licensed Dispatchers. In addition to probably illegal planning (e.g missing alternates when required)

United1

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 am

Quoting PHLapproach (Reply 28):
So with the flight planning system there are two sides you have; the live side and the testing side which is where IT can test things for troubleshooting purposes or just testing a new update before it gets pushed. Now that backend side of the system is not supposed to talk or intermingle with the live system for obvious reasons. For whatever reason, today that testing server hooked up with the live server and unbeknownst to IT they were sending live flight plans that were supposed to be just fake flight plans. Then came the Ground Stop and that was so all crews and dispatchers could verify correct paperwork was on hand and not a test release which were illegal because they had IT personels name on them which are not licensed Dispatchers. In addition to probably illegal planning (e.g missing alternates when required)

That makes a lot of sense...thanks for clearing that up.

FlightShadow

Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:56 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
Depends on the condition of the computer, as in, how you treat it.

Computers are just like cars, you need to constantly repair and maintain them so they run as fast when you first purchased the machines. Too many people load their computers up with all kinds of programs, malware, toolbars, etc. and then complain when their machine breaks or is incredibly slow. They expect the thing to perform no matter how much abuse they give it, which isn't the case. Not talking exclusively about UA's PCs, but just in general.

What if I talk to my computer in harsh tones and don't give it treats or exercise? Does the prognosis change? What if it's a Mac?
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

L410Turbolet

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:29 am

Quoting LPDAL (Reply 4):
Computers are just like cars, you need to constantly repair and maintain them so they run as fast when you first purchased the machines.

Easier said than done if all of your software on your office computer is totally controlled by those weird subspecies of humans living in the IT Dept.

CplKlinger

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 30):
What if it's a Mac?

Mac's just laugh at your threats and keep on doing what they do. Who are you to tell them what to do?

Quoting L410tURBOLET (Reply 32):
totally controlled by those weird subspecies of humans living in the IT Dept.

We only wish we had that much power. We're like the chimps in the Planet of the Apes, ruled over by the Gorillas that are the directors of IT.

OMP777X

Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:30 pm

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 7):
It also depends on how sarcastic a particular poster might be trying to be  

According to the article which stated DL is now loading carry on luggage for passengers prior to boarding, the cost is $30/min. So it is supposedly 50% more than your guesstimate, and more than I'd like to lose in profit over a theoretically avoidable glitch if I were them.

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 30):
What if I talk to my computer in harsh tones and don't give it treats or exercise? Does the prognosis change? What if it's a Mac?

Hey now, LPDAL was simply derailing the thread by positing the most basic knowledge he has acquired during his work as a computer technician.

Quoting L410tURBOLET (Reply 32):
Easier said than done if all of your software on your office computer is totally controlled by those weird subspecies of humans living in the IT Dept.

They do all possess a higher power. Who are you to question their craft?

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos