Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

ANA Considers Airline Rebrand

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:38 pm

ANA holdings CEO says the company is considering a rebrand to raise the companies brand awareness particularly in international markets.

While the ANA name is highly regarded at home, developing ANA as a global brand has been challenging and has grown as a priority as 40% of customers are now non-Japanese as the companies international route portfolio continues to grow.
According to the CEO, an internet search for ANA in the U.S. for example - up pops “ANA – The American Nurses Association”

According to advisers, they recommended the airline be renamed as "ANA – Japan,” though no decision has been taken yet.

CEO notes the companies award winning “Inspiration of Japan” product and services branding launched in 2009 has been very well received and with it he sees importance of more directly linking the ANA name with brand Japan.

http://www.orientaviation.com/Pdfs/Issues/359.pdf

=

Makes lots of sense. I'm not sure the average traveler even to Asia can directly relate the fact that ANA is a Japanese airline if they simply see the letters ANA written somewhere.
Closer association with brand Japan should I think indeed help raise the awareness of the airline along with building on the positive traits that go along for quality and service.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SpaceshipDC10

RE: ANA Considers Airline Rebrand

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:50 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
Makes lots of sense. I'm not sure the average traveler even to Asia can directly relate the fact that ANA is a Japanese airline if they simply see the letters ANA written somewhere.

Indeed. Decades ago it took quite a while to figure it out. Why not reverting to something like this?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Kjell Nilsson

Stitch

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 pm

NJNA - Not Just Nippon Airways   

According to advisers, they recommended the airline be renamed as "ANA – Japan,” though no decision has been taken yet.

"All Nippon Airways - Japan" sounds superfluous to me.

CEO notes the companies award winning “Inspiration of Japan” product and services branding launched in 2009 has been very well received and with it he sees importance of more directly linking the ANA name with brand Japan.

It certainly made me a fan of the carrier.

IslandRob

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):

How about JapANA? -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

LHUSA

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Great airline but I have to say I agree that their brand awareness in the States is pretty low. If I ever mention NH I have to follow with something like "it's an airline from Japan."

PlymSpotter

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:28 pm

If they want to increase brand exposure outside of Japan and particularly in the West, they just need to drop the 'Co' from All Nippon Airways Co. Ltd, and then use all their initials. Instant free viral publicity.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rta

Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm a huge fan of their livery, so hopefully they don't change that. But yeah, I think a little more brand awareness (not necessarily a rebrand), especially Stateside, would be good.

Kind of how "KLM" and "Royal Dutch Airlines" go hand in hand. They should do something like that.

IAHWorldflyer

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Other foreign carriers have used their country name after the corporate name in the past. I can think of Avianca-Colombia, and Varig-Brasil off the top of my head.

winterlight

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Please avoid the BWIA West Indies idea.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

Sooner787

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:52 pm

If it ain't broke , don't fix it.

They could simply replace the "Inspiration of Japan"

on their planes with "All Nippon Air" in similiar font

and call it a day   

jetblue1965

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:11 pm

Rebranding is the dumbest thing ... ANA is a really strong brand. Only ignoramus associate it with nursing.

KELPkid

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:17 pm

I've actually seen an ANA commercial (on Root sports during a Mariners game), and they call themselves "ANA Airlines" throughout the commercial. They have a beautiful shot of a 787 flying off into the sunset at the end...but it seems to me that if they just called themselves by what ANA stands for (All-Nippon Airlines), that would be a much better brand identity than a generic 3 letter abbreviation.
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

Sooner787

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:24 pm

When did their current livery come out?

peterinlisbon

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 pm

Maybe they could change their name to ANA Behabik Habibi. That would attract attention in the middle east and they wouldn't have to add much to their livery.

spacecadet

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 pm

Calling it "ANA - Japan" is really stupid, but I see the need for some sort of rebranding. I live just outside of JFK and even when I take a car service there, I have to explain to them what "ANA" is. These are people who drive to JFK every single day. Usually when I say "ANA" they say "American?" If I say "no, All Nippon", they go "huh?"

It's a case where a good name locally becomes a burden globally. They obviously weren't thinking of international sales when they came up with that name. People outside of Japan don't even know "Nippon" is "Japan" in Japanese. That's the real problem they have.

There's got to be a solution better than "ANA - Japan", but I guess it's not any worse than "LOT Polish Airlines".
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

AirbusA6

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:28 pm

I'm dubious about this, ANA/All Nippon is no more obscure than Cathay Pacific, Etihad or even QANTAS!

Sure, lots of Americans don't know who ANA are, but how many of them are likely to be travelling to Asia in the near future?

Maybe United and Delta should change their names to United American Airlines and Delta American Airlines to help everyone else in the world understand where they come from  
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

KELPkid

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:30 pm

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 15):
Sure, lots of Americans don't know who ANA are, but how many of them are likely to be travelling to Asia in the near future?

You'd be surprised. A fair percentage of our population on the West Coast is of Asian descent  
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

jsnww81

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 12):
When did their current livery come out?

Current livery came out in 1986 if I'm not mistaken, to coincide with the launch of scheduled international services. It was "neatened up" a bit in the early 2000s (the Japanese characters were removed from most aircraft) but remains essentially the same.

spacecadet

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:59 pm

ANA/All Nippon is no more obscure than Cathay Pacific, Etihad or even QANTAS!

As a brand, it most definitely *is* more obscure outside of its home country. You're comparing ANA to three well-established international brands. The question is how does ANA get to that same point?

Sure, they *could* try to slog on with their current branding, and maybe they'd ultimately be successful like your three examples. Or, maybe they wouldn't be, like the many other airlines that tried and failed to move out of their home markets with their regional names intact (seriously, check the Wikipedia listing of defunct airlines, there are literally hundreds of airlines that fit this description).

Plus, ANA is competing internationally with JAL, which is much easier for foreigners to remember as "Japan Air Lines". That's about as simple as it gets for an American, at least. "All Nippon" just doesn't register with most westerners.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

EPA001

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:03 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 9):
If it ain't broken , don't fix it.

I agree with you on this. It would be a shame to see the name All Nippon Airways be rebranded into something else.

But the question is; does the ANA-management think the company profile is "broken"?

AirCalSNA

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 am

I think this is a great idea for them. The letters "ANA" are extremely generic, as is their livery. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that they had passenger service, as their planes practically scream "cargo only" ... and I'm an airline nerd. Alternately, the livery suggests "cattle car" service. The livery reminds me of the overtly generic branding of food products in the 80's in which a can of beans, for example, would be plain white with a plain blue stripe and just say "beans." They might at least start by writing out "All Nippon" prominently on the sides of their planes. And they need a livery that is more evocative of Japan or something exotic to the average man or woman (think China Airlines' flower livery).

[Edited 2015-06-03 17:29:02]

N766UA

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:27 am

The sad thing is that exactly 0 people in the United States understand that "Nippon" actually is "Japan."

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:29 am

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 3):
How about JapANA?

That could be a winner! Easy to integrate on top of everything they have. Send it end.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 10):
Only ignoramus associate it with nursing.

You seem to be unaware that a lot of ignoramuses 1) have money and 2) fly.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

N867DA

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:35 am

Can the problem be solved by putting the Japanese flag near the existing ANA titles? The Japanese flag is very well-known and can help people link ANA with Japan without needlessly changing a good livery.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

IslandRob

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting N867DA (Reply 23):
Can the problem be solved by putting the Japanese flag near the existing ANA titles? The Japanese flag is very well-known and can help people link ANA with Japan without needlessly changing a good livery.

For the US market, ANA could vastly boost its image and emphasize its Japanese ties by running a few high-profile, prime time television commercials.

If that fails, there's always my JapANA rebrand suggestion. Regards. -ir

Freshside3

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:39 am

Quoting Stitch (Reply 2):

Sounds like a too-wordy name, just like the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim"....  

jfk777

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:44 am

According to the CEO, an internet search for ANA in the U.S. for example - up pops “ANA – The American Nurses Association

No one is going to confuse an airline with the "American Nursing Association". ANA needs to stress the "Nippon" in its name since that is a word in the English language often associated with Japan. Perhaps bigger Letters on the fuselage saying " All Nippon Air" instead of just the "ANA".

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:54 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 21):
The sad thing is that exactly 0 people in the United States understand that "Nippon" actually is "Japan."

Speak for yourself. Not all of us have English as a first/home language-- in some of them, "Nippon" is far closer to the pronunciation than "Japan," so it's perfectly intuitive.  

TakeOff

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 am

How about JapANA?

The "Jap" part leaps out at me –– and not in a good way.

ktachiya

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:29 am

Yeah, apparently ANA (全日空) in Chinese means, "Empty Everyday."

But what can they change it to really? Since more than 90% of their international flying is based out of NRT or HND, why not call themselves TAL (Tokyo Airlines). Tokyo should stand out to a lot of people and it reflects their reality that they are really an international airline out of Tokyo.
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

IslandRob

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:33 am

Quoting ktachiya (Reply 29):
But what can they change it to really? Since more than 90% of their international flying is based out of NRT or HND, why not call themselves TAL (Tokyo Airlines). Tokyo should stand out to a lot of people and it reflects their reality that they are really an international airline out of Tokyo.

Good thinking. And, they could change their livery to include a stylized image of Godzilla on the tail. -ir

global2

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 am

ANA/All Nippon is no more obscure than Cathay Pacific, Etihad or even QANTAS!

I knew at a very young age where Qantas was from; they had that brilliant TV commercial with the adorable koala lamenting how Qantas was bringing too many tourists to his home: "I Hate Qantas!".

Quoting IAHWorldFlyer (Reply 7):
Other foreign carriers have used their country name after the corporate name in the past. I can think of Avianca-Colombia, and Varig-Brasil off the top of my head.
Quoting rta (Reply 6):
Kind of how "KLM" and "Royal Dutch Airlines" go hand in hand.

Couldn't hurt. When I was a kid my Dad told me that TAP stood for "Take Another Plane".

All Nippon --> Pan Japan!

LAX772LR

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:41 am

Quoting TakeOff (Reply 28):
The "Jap" part leaps out at me –– and not in a good way.

Yeah, thought about that. Maybe all-caps is the answer? Or only capitalize the "J"?

N1120A

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:49 am

I think this is a big mistake. ANA is well known for service quality among those who actually fly. Alaska gave hard thought to rebranding and decided against it, as they are associated as much with service as their state of birth.

How about JapANA?

Funny thing about that. Years ago, there was an airline business sim on SNES called Aerobiz (I'm sure a few of us older members played it). The default name for the airline based at Tokyo was Japana.

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
If they want to increase brand exposure outside of Japan and particularly in the West, they just need to drop the 'Co' from All Nippon Airways Co. Ltd, and then use all their initials. Instant free viral publicity.

Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

TWA772LR

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:54 am

Quoting LHUSA (Reply 4):
reat airline but I have to say I agree that their brand awareness in the States is pretty low. If I ever mention NH I have to follow with something like "it's an airline from Japan."

Not everyone in the US is airline nerds like we are. Someone asked me who I worked for and I said Lufthansa, and then they said "Who is that?" and I had to tell them "the German airline". Needless to say everyone got the picture when I said I worked at Turkish Airlines, as in they thought "he works for an airline, that happens to be from Turkey."

How about JapANA? -ir

I like it! But it seems too simplistic.

I was just about to suggest ANA-Japan Airlines, and then thought "oh, wait..." Merger idea anyone?   

How about AJA? All Japan Airways?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

XAM2175

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:06 am

Quoting Global2 (Reply 31):
All Nippon --> Pan Japan!

Now that's quite cute, actually!

Personally I think it would be a shame for NH to completely change brands but I do recognise they've got a bit of a quandary on their hands. Until very recently I didn't even think of them as really being anything other than a poor competitor to JL, which as an opinion is of course totally unfounded but there is just something about that brand that made me think "cheap"... and of course their brand awareness outside of Japan and Asia and the Japanese diaspora definitely needs work *. The question is whether they want to leverage their Japanese heritage and position to build the brand, or dispose of it and basically start over (more work now, but more freedom and flexibility with brand positioning in the future).

( * = as much as I hate subjective discussions of brand awareness; they always seem to end up like the UA-CO merger arguments where people who'd never left the USA were swearing blind that their favourite party in the merger had the better global awareness)

Anyway, my immediate recommendation though would be to ditch the "ANA" acronym except as an acronym. All Nippon Airways mightn't mean much to a lot of people right now but it's a brilliant base to expand on, to be given the dignity and gravitas that their hard- and soft-product (I'm told) is worthy of. ANA is just another cheap TLA (   ), similar in my mind to the impressive-sounding Trans-World Airlines becoming bland old TWA.

jetblue1965

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 22):

ANA has some of the largest J cabins for a 77W out there ... On par with the likes of BA. They clearly have no trouble filling those huge cabins, so whatever ignoramuses they're missing are fine. Rebranding one of the best airline brands out there to satisfy a few rural villagers from podunkville USA would be a huge mistake.

(JAL, with a far more obvious branding, has way smaller J cabins. Obvious branding can only go so far)

IslandRob

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:25 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 36):
Rebranding one of the best airline brands out there to satisfy a few rural villagers from podunkville USA would be a huge mistake.

Agreed. All they need to do is advertise more. A few well-placed, eye-catching television commercials will work wonders, as was the case for Qantas back in the '70s: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03aam-9tv0 . -ir

Flexiwings

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:34 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 11):
if they just called themselves by what ANA stands for (All-Nippon Airlines)

ANA stands for All Nippon Airways.

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 14):
It's a case where a good name locally becomes a burden globally. They obviously weren't thinking of international sales when they came up with that name. People outside of Japan don't even know "Nippon" is "Japan" in Japanese. That's the real problem they have.

But, I wonder why Cathay Pacific doesn't seem to suffer from this problem?? I do know a fair amount of Americans know "cathay" is "China" in English. Hell, even I knew that as a kid! Don't know how.

And as random as "KLM" is, I think they have amazing brand awareness. As did "TWA." I think the way the acronym flows off your tongue helps big time. KLM always sounded cool to me. I first heard about them when I was about 6 or 7. A friend mentioned KLM on the playground, and I remember thinking how cool that sounded, and I never ever forgot the name again.

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 20):
The letters "ANA" are extremely generic, as is their livery.

I love the ANA livery.

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 24):
JapANA

That sounds terrible and I don't think most common folk would make the connection based on seeing that name, alone. And "jap" is a very derogatory word to the Japanese.

[Edited 2015-06-03 23:36:59]

jetblue1965

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:39 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 20):

Writing out "all Nippon" on the fuselage won't help because those ignoramuses still don't know what "Nippon" or "Nihon" is

And If u think their livery is bad, what is JAL then ? Another completely euro-white type paint job. Zzzz

Flexiwings

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 39):
Writing out "all Nippon" on the fuselage won't help because those ignoramuses still don't know what "Nippon" or "Nihon" is

This could potentially be long-winded, but they could try "All-Nippon: the Airline of Japan." All-Nippon could adorn the forward fuselage as the main titles, and like KLM used to do, "the Airline of Japan" could be in smaller or lighter titles just below the window line. Maybe "ANA" could still adorn the tail.

jetblue1965

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting Flexiwings (Reply 40):

If they want "airline of Japan" I'd say put it in promotional materials, not the fuselage itself. Besides, they already have a "Inspiration of Japan" marketing campaign / slogan.

KLM doesn't need to spell out anything, but their brand is very clear. I see ANA in a similar boat.

The biggest branding confusion I've seen is Air China vs. China Airlines - so many non-aviation-enthusiast can't tell one from the other.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 am

Japanese airlines have always suffered from extraordinarily bad brand recognition outside Japan. This isn't exclusive to ANA, it also affects JAL - so renaming it to encompass Japan in the name does not seem like a very promising way if even a brand named Japan Airlines has bad recognition.

My completely baseless assumption is that there are mistakes (from a Western standpoint) being made in the marketing content.

However, I also think that with its strong JVs, brand recognition matters surprisingly little for ANA.

trent1000

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:59 am

Quoting ktachiya (Reply 29):
apparently ANA (全日空) in Chinese means, "Empty Everyday."

or in an alternative Japanese reading "all day empty"... Not good PR .

I love ANA - and no, it's not pronounced "ANNA', but as A-N-A unlike that of its main competitor JAL.
I just wish that ANA flew to more destinations in Europe and the USA.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:07 am

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 42):

JAL-Japan Airlines since day one, no has brand recignition issues with that.

trent1000

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:18 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 44):
no has brand recignition issues with that.

Well, a lot of us did wonder why they stuck whatever that curved thing was on their tail as revised livery within the last ten years. Anyway, the JAL red and white (same colours as the Japanese flag) plus crane symbol on the tail allows and indeed enhances the brand recognition it deserves.

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:21 am

They don't need a rebrand, they just need to expand. Imagine Emirates considering a rebrand in the 90s--nobody really knew what an Emirates was, but a few more nonstops to their neighborhood and now everyone knows what it is. ANA sounds perfectly generic, and if they increase the density of their aircraft, and add more flying they'll become more of a household name.
I don't take responsibility at all

trent1000

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 am

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/japan/e/local/dom/airinfo/aircraft/

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 46):
if they increase the density of their aircraft, and add more flying they'll become more of a household name.

ANA is already a household name in Japan.
You are aware that they have some of the highest densities for aircraft type? 777-300 at 514 seats...
From what I've seen/heard/read, it's not the config/density, but the international catering that could be improved (volume-wise) - one trip reporter saying that they'd never flown business class and ended the flight hungry...
Presentation counts, but if you're paying a premium, as you do for J, feed the passengers.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:49 am

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 45):

But the name was always Japan Airlines on aircraft, signage etc. so no confusion.

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 am

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 47):
ANA is already a household name in Japan.
You are aware that they have some of the highest densities for aircraft type? 777-300 at 514 seats...

As has been said several times in this thread including the OP, Japan is not the issue here 
Quoting trent1000 (Reply 47):
From what I've seen/heard/read, it's not the config/density, but the international catering that could be improved

It's not the catering. It's the sparse international schedule on very low density 777s/787s. No one has heard of them because relatively few people fly them. They're barely in the top 10 in terms of Transpacific capacity and much smaller pretty much anywhere else longhaul.
I don't take responsibility at all

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos