Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SpaceshipDC10

RE: ANA Considers Airline Rebrand

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:14 am

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 15):
or even QANTAS!

Well, the logo QF use is quite a good clue as to their origin.

peterinlisbon

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:53 am

It could be worse, there is an airline in Taiwan called FAT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_Eastern_Air_Transport

na

Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:58 am

A change of brand often comes along with a new company design, in aviation that means a new livery before anything else.
If I look at the newest example, Alitalia, or ANAs main competitor, JAL, I wish ANA would never change. I am not a particular fan of it, but its way better than 90% of whats being created nowadays under the thumb of the beancounters.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:10 am

ANA already has beancounter instructed liveries on the BBJ and Cargo division.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:32 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 44):
JAL-Japan Airlines since day one, no has brand recignition issues with that.

A whole heap of brand awareness surveys seem to find the opposite.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:47 am

Japan Airlines? wow, the brand awarenees bunch must be mega stupid or you are grasping at straws now.

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:36 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 55):
wow, the brand awarenees bunch must be mega stupid or you are grasping at straws now.

I'll leave to the other readers to asses who of us is 'mega stupid' or 'grasping at straws'.

The fact that remains is that all Japanese airlines, including Japan Airlines, lag international competitors in brand awareness in the destination markets.

ANA, by the way, even has a little higher brand recognition than JAL - totally debunking your opinion.

The three major Chinese airlines have now all overtaken both Japanese carriers in this metric.

Just because you know the brand Japan Airlines does not mean it is performing as well as its peers. Get your ridiculous attitude under control.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:04 pm

By brand awareneess and brining in the Chinese you mean marketeing, the topic seems to be about brand name being unrecognizable, in which case your JAL thing dosent fit.

Polot

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 57):
By brand awareneess and brining in the Chinese you mean marketeing, the topic seems to be about brand name being unrecognizable, in which case your JAL thing dosent fit.

Its not just about knowing the name and knowing where they come from. Obviously if you mention JAL's name to anyone they recognize that it is a Japanese airline. Part of brand awareness, however, is knowing generally where they fly, general on board service standards, etc.

People know the name McDonald's, but they also know what McDonald's has to offer no matter where they are. That is good brand awareness. Japanese airlines struggle on that second point in the international market (as they focus mostly on Japanese originating customers), and ANA in particular struggles on the first point.

ANA knows that if you see an ANA plane at the airport that you are not going to think of the American Nurses Association. But their point is if you use the term ANA in casual conversation many Americans are not necessarily going to quickly make the connection to the airline.

Think of it this way: what do you think of when you hear the term Virgin Atlantic? For many people its London, hip, trendy, SRB, etc.

What do you think of when you think of SQ? For many its Singapore and especially the attractive Singapore girls and the service they provide.

What do you think of when you think of ANA? Japan (if you are familiar with them being Japanese) and....uhh...the color blue? They have no emotional connection with many in the general public.

[Edited 2015-06-04 06:44:27]

OP3000

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:45 pm

I think a rebrand for the reason of lack of name recognition is worthwhile in ANAs case.

In keeping the existing name, instead of adding a Japan reference perhaps it would be worth considering (without research I am not sure it is a good idea) using an Asia reference in the title. That could increase their international business more broadly as well as the success of NRT as a hub. Just by sheer market size I think that may have more value than simply going for a Japan association. Even with the current name most travelers to Japan are likely to have at least seen or heard of the airline before, and even if they had not NH would come out on flight searches as one of very few non stop carriers thus generating brand perception. It would however be important to do some basic market research in Japan to see whether using an Asia reference would have any adverse impact to their brand image locally.

777way

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:51 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 58):

I get your and AvAwares points, but the topic is about the name, what you say is very relevant too, but thats more about marketeing, heres its about the brand identity itself and nothing more.

n9801f

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:53 pm

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 13):
Maybe they could change their name to ANA Behabik Habibi.

Clever!

I had to search to figure it out, but once I did, it was pretty funny.

You could imagine some fun slogans to go along with that.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081121190715AA0UwMn

Polot

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Quoting 777way (Reply 60):
I get your and AvAwares points, but the topic is about the name, what you say is very relevant too, but thats more about marketeing, heres its about the brand identity itself and nothing more.

The two are linked, brand awareness/identity and marketing go hand in hand. You can't have good brand awareness without good marketing (no matter what you call the airline) and its difficult to have successful marketing if you don't have a good brand name to market. ANA may feel that ANA alone is too much of a stumbling block in international markets.

cosyr

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:33 pm

It's not just a question of knowing what ANA is, but Japan Airlines gives the false impression that it is the largest and only airline in Japan, while ANA is some obscure secondary airline. I'm not sure how things stack up now, but I know when JAL first went into bankruptcy, ANA became the largest airline in Japan, and it is not synonymous with the country. As someone with an MBA in marketing, that is the definition of a problem.

jetblue1965

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 56):

Really ? The Chinese carriers ? That's like saying Toyota has better brand recognition than Aston Martin - volume leaders always has more brand awareness, but it doesn't mean the same.

ANA has always been about low volume but really high quality. Diluting that for the sake of carrying more 4cpm kayakers would be a waste, and a one way street (hard to regain the premium feel once you cheapen it)

If people are spending $5000-8000 on J tickets and yet don't do a little homework, they deserve to be hosed by mediocrity.

superjeff

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Quoting XAM2175 (Reply 35):
Anyway, my immediate recommendation though would be to ditch the "ANA" acronym except as an acronym. All Nippon Airways mightn't mean much to a lot of people right now but it's a brilliant base to expand on, to be given the dignity and gravitas that their hard- and soft-product (I'm told) is worthy of. ANA is just another cheap TLA (   ), similar in my mind to the impressive-sounding Trans-World Airlines becoming bland old TWA.

Actually, TWA was "Transcontinental and Western Air" until the early 1950's when they changed their name to Trans World Airlines. The name was a result of a merger of Transcontinental Air Transport and Western Air Express. That merger was later undone, and we ended up with TWA and the predecessor of Western Airlines.

ilyag

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:08 pm

impressive-sounding Trans-World Airlines becoming bland old TWA

Respectfully disagree. TWA has always been followed by Trans World and had very strong roots and legacy in public view. Same here - ANA needs to figure out how to improve brand awareness without changing the image. So far I haven't seen anything that would seem to achieve that - better just advertise where it matters, stressing the Japanese roots and make sure the good parts stay as they are

Confuscius

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Quoting ktachiya (Reply 29):
Yeah, apparently ANA (全日空) in Chinese means, "Empty Everyday."

In Afghanistan, it's an acronym for Afghan National Army.
Ain't I a stinker?

hongkongflyer

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:34 pm

In my opinion, if they want to increase the brand recognition as an airline in Japan,
just replace the title "ANA + [ logo] " with "All Nippon Airways",

ANA's livery is classic and timeless, the major problem is that no [an average] people outside Japan
will link "ANA" with an airline from Japan, mainly due to the absent of the word "Japan" (or other word with similar meaning)
in the short form of the name (i.e. ANA) and on the livery,
using "All Nippon Airways" then everyone will be able to do so and that's the solution!!!

gzm

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:43 pm

ANA Japan / Japan ANA.....Reads like QANTAS Australia or Australia QANTAS.The best.I always trust the opinion of those advisers. Do you think that people knew what that huge UTA meant? (Union de Transports Aeriens) or that it made any difference to those tourists? It is a matter of marketing and cooperation with the right travel agencies and attractive advertisements and right prices. They will get to know it (and to like it).

tomasm

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:46 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
While the ANA name is highly regarded at home, developing ANA as a global brand has been challenging and has grown as a priority as 40% of customers are now non-Japanese as the companies international route portfolio continues to grow.
According to the CEO, an internet search for ANA in the U.S. for example - up pops “ANA – The American Nurses Association”

I don't think "ANA - Japan" would hurt the brand in any way. A lot of airlines do something like this already. Many have already been mentioned: TAP Portugal, CSA Czech Airlines, SAS Scandinavian...

I really like the "KLM Royal Dutch Airlines" approach, and I suppose that's what ANA - Inspiration of Japan is trying to do but it sounds more marketing than fact. And unlike TAP or CSA which have a meaning in their native languages, there's something lost in translation with ANA... "All" Japan/Japanese Airways?

From a communications standpoint it's usually better to be explicit. Few airlines pull off not including the country name in their brand and it's either because of sheer size or marketing muscle. Marketing: Virgin Atlantic. Size: Lufthansa, United, Etihad (even Etihad is debatable – I think most people would say, "some airline from the Middle East")

I think ANA is part of a niche of big airlines with ambiguous names – Asiana, Eva and Iberia come to mind. But, in terms of brand recognition (which I believe is the main reason ANA is considering this?) I don't see how letting people know what country the airline is from really helps. "Oh, Asiana is a Korean airline? Interesting... I've still never heard of them."

_

B777LRF

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Dear ANA,

Drop the 'all', just call yourself Nippon Airways. Stick with present colour scheme and livery, tip-ex the surplus 'A' where necessary and job's jobbed. My usual consultancy fee of eye watering proportions will be in your inbox shortly.

Yours,
Cont Sultan.
Signature. You just read one.

spacecadet

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Quoting tomasm (Reply 70):
there's something lost in translation with ANA... "All" Japan/Japanese Airways?

It's not lost in translation, it's just outdated. It just means they fly to all of Japan. They were almost exclusively a domestic carrier for many years. JAL was Japan's international flag carrier.

Another reason for a rebranding. Everything about their name is obsolete for their current mission, which is to be a major international carrier. I doubt most international flyers even care that they fly to "all" of Japan - how many international fliers are continuing on through Tokyo to Obihiro, Tottori, or Tsushima? The current name is totally for domestic marketing.

The problem with a lot of the ideas presented here (such as going with "Nippon Airways") is that they still *also* have to appeal to the domestic market that almost exclusively calls the airline "Ana", pronouncing it like the name. So changing the initials is probably something they're really wary of doing. Given all this, just going with "ANA Japan" starts to make some sense, since domestic flyers could still call it Ana. I dislike the hyphen that was there in the original post, though.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 64):
That's like saying Toyota has better brand recognition than Aston Martin - volume leaders always has more brand awareness, but it doesn't mean the same.

Without looking it up, I am pretty sure that ANA is at least level with the Chinese carriers for destinations and maybe even ASM.

IslandRob

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Slightly off-topic, but somewhat related: Hainan has begun a US television campaign, presumably to raise their profile. Their nicely done commercial aired at least twice on CNN last evening. I believe ANA should follow suit. Regards. -ir

Edited to add link: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/73m5/hainan-airlines-world-travels

[Edited 2015-06-04 11:00:42]
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:01 pm

One sure fire way to raise brand recognition is sport sponsoring, like Emirates and Turkish Airlines are doing.

global2

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Quoting ilyag (Reply 66):
ANA needs to figure out how to improve brand awareness without changing the image. So far I haven't seen anything that would seem to achieve that - better just advertise where it matters, stressing the Japanese roots and make sure the good parts stay as they are

I agree: advertise! Re-painting obscure new logos on airplanes and changing all the signage in the terminal for the sake of re-branding is not going to build brand awareness among the general public (if you're already at the airport then you've already chosen your carrier). I've seen a lot of Korean Air ads in print recently--the flight attendant sitting in a giant airplane window, or something like that. It was distinctive and fresh enough to make me take notice. BA used to advertise a ton on TV back in the 80's & 90's--that ad with all those people walking across the beach to form that giant smiley face? Brilliant! It made me think that BA must be such a cool, classy airline to come up with an ad like that.

tomasm

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 72):
It's not lost in translation, it's just outdated. It just means they fly to all of Japan. They were almost exclusively a domestic carrier for many years. JAL was Japan's international flag carrier.

Thanks for that... I'd always wondered how they came up with that name! But how does that translate in the native language, both visually and verbally? It can't be "ANA All Nippon Airways" in Japanese... Although I can see "Ana" becoming an endearing name domestically for the airline.

It would be nice if ANA could find a descriptor as sophisticated as KLM "Royal Dutch Airlines" ... ANA "Inspiration of Japan" sounds like marketing.

Although I want to say there was controversy a while back about KLM's use of "Royal" in their name?

And while I like the airline, I've never been a fan of "Qantas Spirit of Australia" ... I think people know Qantas has enough brand recognition to drop that... and they have a kangaroo on their tail! At first I thought Spirit of Australia was the name they'd given to one of their aircraft.

_

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting tomasm (Reply 77):
But how does that translate in the native language, both visually and verbally? It can't be "ANA All Nippon Airways" in Japanese...

Japanese is very heavily influenced by anglicisms, which has its roots both in the heavy British influence during the Meiji Restoration as well as the American influence after WW2.
ANA was founded as Nippon Helicopter (hence the code NH) in 1952 and only had a Japanese name at the time (Nippon Herikoputā Yusō, you can see the anglophone influence again).

ANA's Japanese name (Zen Nippon Kūyu) indeed does not mean All Nippon Airways, but Japan Air Transport. ANA is only the English name. In everyday life, the Japanese also don't use the acronym ANA but call the airline Zennikkū, which is an abbreviation of the airline's Japanese name.

It would be nice if ANA could find a descriptor as sophisticated as KLM "Royal Dutch Airlines" ... ANA "Inspiration of Japan" sounds like marketing.

Well ANA was founded as a private company, they hardly have a tradition like KLM do. So all they are left with is making something up. They can't rename themselves into Emperor's Choice Airlines or something like that  

jsnww81

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:19 pm

Although I can see "Ana" becoming an endearing name domestically for the airline.

For most of my life I assumed the acronym was pronounced like a word, as in "Anna." I was really surprised the first time I heard airport agents referring to it by initials, as in "A-N-A." I always assumed everyone said it as a word.

tomasm

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:45 pm

Quoting AviationAware (Reply 75):
One sure fire way to raise brand recognition is sport sponsoring, like Emirates and Turkish Airlines are doing.

The number of sports/events Emirates sponsors – from Soccer and Rugby to Golf and Equestrian is truly astounding.

Somewhat [un]related, but Malaysia Airlines Berhad – Does anyone know if that is going to be the consumer-facing name of the "new" MAS? I have no idea what Berhad means, but I hope it's just an internal thing to help them differentiate the "old" MAS.

_

aviationaware

Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Quoting tomasm (Reply 80):
I have no idea what Berhad means, but I hope it's just an internal thing to help them differentiate the "old" MAS.

Berhad is just what the Malaysians call a corporation, it's the corporate form.

Motorhussy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Brand ANA is not the problem, the problem is that it does not mean anything to enough people in one of its key international markets. Surely the task is then to profile the brand in this key market to the relevant target audience. NH isn't an Everyman airline like EK (who knew Emirates was the airline of Dubai 16-years ago) so can't grow its brand recognition through large mainstream sponsorship and brand advertising across the U.S., but they will know where they're weakest and where their growth focus is.

ANA just need to decide what their brand proposition is for the USA (and world) market, and communicate it via intelligent marketing, through-the-line communication and sponsorship.

Airlines do not need their home country names in their titles to imbue their brands with their unique native proposition, who'd heard of Etihad just a few years ago? What makes Cathay Pacific synonymous with Hong Kong? Asiana and Eva Air surely face similar headwinds flying into the U.S.

BTW, the whole Japan vs Nippon/Nihon issue; the name Japan derives from the Chinese name for Nihon which was popularised in the West by the return of Marco Polo.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

Thomaas

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:39 pm

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 74):
Slightly off-topic, but somewhat related: Hainan has begun a US television campaign, presumably to raise their profile. Their nicely done commercial aired at least twice on CNN last evening. I believe ANA should follow suit. Regards. -ir

Edited to add link: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/73m5/hainan-airlines-world-travels

This advertisement feels very dated. Certainly not the type of advertisement ANA should associate to its brand.

Motorhussy

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 83):

Agreed! Full of tired cliché stereotypes, and showing its product to be very unsophisticated and simple - Japan and ANA are none of those things.

Viscount724

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting TakeOff (Reply 28):
Quoting IslandRob (Reply 3):
How about JapANA?

The "Jap" part leaps out at me –– and not in a good way.

Exactly. That would be a very bad idea.

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 37):
Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 36):
Rebranding one of the best airline brands out there to satisfy a few rural villagers from podunkville USA would be a huge mistake.

Agreed. All they need to do is advertise more. A few well-placed, eye-catching television commercials will work wonders, as was the case for Qantas back in the '70s:

TV advertising by airlines is a waste of money these days with fewer and fewer people watching traditional TV every year.

beeweel15

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting winterlight (Reply 8):

Please avoid the BWIA West Indies idea.

Whats idea was that.

DocLightning

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:42 am

The big challenge here is that there is already a "Japan Airlines," so they need to be careful of using any such combo such as: "ANA-Japanese Airlines." And unlike KLM they can't brand themselves "Royal Japanese Airlines," because there is nothing royal about them and again, they might wind up in a trademark war with JL.

ANA-Japan is one way, but how about just: "ANA - The Airline of Japan."
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Viscount724

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:44 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 87):
The big challenge here is that there is already a "Japan Airlines," so they need to be careful of using any such combo such as: "ANA-Japanese Airlines." And unlike KLM they can't brand themselves "Royal Japanese Airlines," because there is nothing royal about them and again, they might wind up in a trademark war with JL.

ANA has worked fine for decades. I don't think they have to do anything. Remember it was JAL that went bankrupt, not ANA.

Motorhussy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:49 am

'Airline of Japan' yes, but JL would never let them get away with the definite article in front, that belongs to the flag-carrier.

Viscount724

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:51 am

Quoting motorhussy (Reply 89):

'Airline of Japan' yes, but JL would never let them get away with the definite article in front, that belongs to the flag-carrier.

Both JL and NH are "flag carriers", a largely obsolete term these days. Any airline designated to operate international routes is a flag carrier on the routes they operate. Amd I don't believe JL has any government ownership now.

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:53 am

Janet Jackson is releasing an album this fall for the first time in seven years. I'm sensing product placement and a chance to one up JAL! #thereifixedit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnxVsRxY-IE
I don't take responsibility at all

Motorhussy

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 90):
Both JL and NH are "flag carriers", a largely obsolete term these days. Any airline designated to operate international routes is a flag carrier on the routes they operate. Amd I don't believe JL has any government ownership now.

My point still stands, can't use the definite article 'The', only the indefinite 'An' or 'A'.

I think if you can't use 'The airline of Amazeballs', then probably 'Airline of Amazeballs' is more compelling than 'An airline of…'

infinit

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:02 pm

Quoting IslandRob (Reply 3):
How about JapANA? -ir
Quoting IslandRob (Reply 24):
For the US market, ANA could vastly boost its image and emphasize its Japanese ties by running a few high-profile, prime time television commercials.
Quoting Global2 (Reply 31):
I knew at a very young age where Qantas was from; they had that brilliant TV commercial with the adorable koala lamenting how Qantas was bringing too many tourists to his home: "I Hate Qantas!".
Anyway, my immediate recommendation though would be to ditch the "ANA" acronym except as an acronym. All Nippon Airways mightn't mean much to a lot of people right now but it's a brilliant base to expand on, to be given the dignity and gravitas that their hard- and soft-product (I'm told) is worthy of. ANA is just another cheap TLA (   ), similar in my mind to the impressive-sounding Trans-World Airlines becoming bland old TWA.

I dont think they need a rename, more of a brand refresher and a big scale advertising campaign.

Personally I:
1. Like history, heritage and hence original names
2. Dislike abbreviations

As for history and heritage, I like the use of Nippon instead of Japan just as I like Singapura more than Singapore. maybe even more for the latter.. Singapura means lion city in Malay and Sanskrit.. whereas "pore" has no meaning!

I am on the side of those who suggest spelling out All Nippon Airways. NH should do a survey on how well people know Nippon is Japan. I also understand in some languages the name of the country is closer to Nippon. I suspect most people know.

They also need a big advertising and PR campaign. I dont know about in other countries but in Singapore they're pretty quiet. At least in the past few years I dont recall a big NH campaign here beyond a digital one here last year.

(Unlike the QR example in Reply 31) The brand also lacks an emotional connection. In Singapore, NH is thought of as a good quality Northeast Asian carrier, along with JL, KE and OZ. Nothing particularly unique would come to mind when you mention NH orherwise.

They also dont seem to leverage on their network strength. Not many of the people I have spoken with here realised they fly to so many cities in the Americas. From Southeast Asia they definitely can win over a lot of people flying to the Americas. Southeast Asian carriers cant compete as well in this region and only SQ and PR fly to the US. NH also has a far better image here compared to the US carriers.

For those suggesting "JapANA", that sounds horrible! And the Japanese dont like the use of Jap as a short form.. apparently it has its roots in being used in a demeaning way back in WW2

ER757

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 11):
call themselves "ANA Airlines" throughout the commercial.

All Nippon Airlines Airlines???
That's not good in anyone's book

IslandRob

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting ER757 (Reply 94):
Quoting KELPkid (Reply 11):
call themselves "ANA Airlines" throughout the commercial.

All Nippon Airlines Airlines???
That's not good in anyone's book

No kidding - that designation would never be approved by the airline's DRD (Department of Redundancy Department). -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

BlueShamu330s

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:22 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
I think this is a big mistake. ANA is well known for service quality among those who actually fly.

That's the problem; not enough do and do.

It needs a little Hogwarts Magic and a simplify.

Just rebrand to Nippon - short, catchy, great for adverts, branding and most important, memorable.

Too much messing around will alienate brand loyalists.

Rgds
Flying around India

gzm

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 am

Quoting from Reply 33:

Quote:
Just rebrand to Nippon - short, catchy, great for adverts, easy to remember.

Like Zippo! perhaps? No,it will disappear like MH 370 and we will try to find out what happened.
Forgive my merry reaction (I had a busy week) but it would be like asking Air Lanka to rebrand itself to Air Serendip (the very old name of Sri Lanka). Who remembers Air Ceylon and "The Three Princes of Serendip"?

Or , let's say....Serendipity Airlines...? (Mmm, I expect to be paid for this,you understand).
Serene, smooth as silk...... Step back, Singapore Airlines!

[Edited 2015-06-05 22:56:17]

klwright69

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:10 am

Quoting AirbusA6 (Reply 15):
I'm dubious about this, ANA/All Nippon is no more obscure than Cathay Pacific, Etihad or even QANTAS!

Qantas is not more obscure. No one forgets the iconic kangaroo and "The Spirit of Australia." It all depends regarding the others. I flew Etihad so I know where they are from. But a lot of people don't know about Cathay Pacific or Etihad still.

Quoting N766UA (Reply 21):

The sad thing is that exactly 0 people in the United States understand that "Nippon" actually is "Japan."

You should apologize or have this comment deleted by moderators. Many Americans travel and know about languages and geography. What is the point of this statement?

I have traveled but I am not highly familiar with ANA. My friend an American who lived in Japan, says "ana" the word means "hole" in Japanese.

Japan is not in the name, and the logo is not terribly memorable, the logo has no geographic reference, so it's brand abroad is not strong. There is no mystery to it. The word or acronym "ana" doesn't stick with you either.

I am sure there is still a lot of confusion with people who don't travel to Asia, it's not like European airline names.
Asiana is from where? ANA is from where? Cathay Pacific is from where? China Airlines is from Taiwan or the mainland? EVA is from where again? Everyone knows where Thai, Korean, and JAL are from for obvious reasons.

I think ANA Japan is boring and redundant. But they need to do something like this or advertise to boost their awareness.

777way

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:33 am

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 98):
You should apologize or have this comment deleted by moderators. Many Americans travel and know about languages and geography. What is the point of this statement?

That could be factually correct, many didnt know when 9/11 happened when questiond on the street, video on youtube.