Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

austwin

RE: Phoenix Arizona Aviation Thread Part 14

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:48 am

With retirement of US Airways name coming up in October has anyone heard when the maintenance hanger at PHX will get the American name and logo on it?

alasizon

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting austwin (Reply 200):
With retirement of US Airways name coming up in October has anyone heard when the maintenance hanger at PHX will get the American name and logo on it?

Probably not for a bit after that. All of the gates won't even have the new podiums until the end of October, early November. There will still be some old signage laying around on the customer side even then so it may be a bit (the Welcome to Phoenix sign at B15 and the US Airways Logo at B1 come to mind).

For those who love the plane carpet on the north side, it will soon be no more. Starting in November the terrazo project will begin and the floors will be very similar to what WN has on their side. The project should take through September of 2016 with the project starting in N1 and making its way east and then working its way back to finish up the gaps.

Also, OOs first two 900s have left PHX. The other two end revenue operations on Sept 1st and are scheduled to go to TUS on the 8th to be converted to DL.

All of the N side moving walking ways are currently undergoing refurbishment.The new walkway floors are currently being installed on the ones that go from N3>N4 with the N4>N3 ones having been completed about a week ago.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

austwin

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for the great info Alasizon. I look forward to seeing those changes when I get to PHX for Christmas.

PHX Flyer

Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 pm

The City of Phoenix has a new aviation director, James Bennett.

https://www.phoenix.gov/news/pio/908

His resume is quite impressive, and he has a prior history with Sky Harbor. With a new guy at the helm, I am wondering if there will be renewed effort to develop the international traffic segment at the airport. Airports and airlines are currently preparing for the upcoming IATA fall conference and LAS was once again able to recruit yet another long-haul airline (tentatively, pending government approval). I can't reveal the identity at this time, but it would certainly have been a good fit for Sky Harbor, too. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything new on the horizon for PHX, despite another record-breaking passenger volume: it looks like we'll break the 43 million mark in 2015.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

atcsundevil

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Good luck to him. He's going to inherit this asinine lawsuit against the FAA that's nothing but a dead-end for the city. The FAA has numerous documents (some released through FOIA requests, others not yet released) detailing the city's involvement in the RNAV departure planning process, so the "they didn't know" argument is invalid. Hopefully he doesn't become some kind of sacrificial lamb when that lawsuit inevitably gets tossed.

chrisair

Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting Alasizon (Reply 201):
For those who love the plane carpet on the north side, it will soon be no more. Starting in November the terrazo project will begin and the floors will be very similar to what WN has on their side. The project should take through September of 2016 with the project starting in N1 and making its way east and then working its way back to finish up the gaps.

They aren't getting rid of the plane carpet (btw look up @phxcarpet on Instagram) for the airport are they? Just in that area?

I saw some of the new gate screens when I landed the other day. They look nice. Definitely a good upgrade from the old ones before.

dlramp4life

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 pm

So it looks like AC is bringing a daily 763 to PHX... Also hows botique air doing?

treebeard787

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 206):
So it looks like AC is bringing a daily 763 to PHX.

Really? I assume it's going to be a seasonal up-gauge with a Rouge 767.
Allons-y!

atcsundevil

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:00 am

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 206):

They used to fly in 763s seasonally fairly often if I remember correctly. It's been a few years, but I remember seeing them here on several occasions. Rouge is a definite step down from AC mainline, but I'm all for more widebody flights out of PHX. They're unfortunately too few and far between.

93Sierra

Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 am

Boutique Air seems to be running a better schedule and a better completion rate than Great Lakes, however people I've spoken with like the aircraft and the completion rate but dislike the lack of codeshare with United and are now driving to PHX

KarelXWB

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:01 pm

Thread closed, click to continue:

Phoenix Arizona Aviation Thread Part 15 (by KarelXWB Aug 28 2015 in Civil Aviation)
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.