AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

YYZ Terminal 3 Pier A/B Opening

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:08 pm

Yesterday in Toronto, an unused portion of Terminal 3, the A/B annex, was reopened. To situate the A/B annex, it is directly north of Terminal 3's northern-most finger, which is used for US departures on one side and a swing gate area with some WestJet domestic departures on the other side. I believe this facility was initially used by Canadian Airlines in the 1990s, then by Royal Airlines and Canada 3000 in the early 2000s before being shuttered. It is right next to an Air Canada hangar, which actually blocks a portion of the north face of the building.

The A/B annex is accessed by an underground tunnel next to Gate 22.

The A/B annex will be for WestJet's use only. Looking at overhead pictures, there are 9 gates total, of which 5 are jet-bridged and 4 are ground loading (presumably for WestJet Encore's Q400 operation). WS will operate 30-40 flights a day out of the A/B annex. Currently between WestJet and Encore, WS has just under 100 flights daily out of YYZ. In the last couple of years, they have been gradually running out of space at Terminal 3. A/B annex will help them consolidate operations, increase connectivity, and improve the passenger experience as many flights will be within a short walk of each other instead of being spread over all parts of Terminal 3. The A/B annex will also help other airlines at Terminal 3 in YYZ; which is the terminal for all non-Star Alliance carriers, freeing up more space.

Good luck to WestJet with this new facility. Good to see a part of Pearson being re-opened.

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:13:19]

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:14:28]

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:16:03]

rampbro

RE: YYZ Terminal 3 Pier A/B Opening

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:14 pm

How do arriving pax get from the Annex to customs? Is that by bus, or is the tunnel divided between inbound/outbound pax?

Edit: It seems as though the annex is being used for domestic WS ops.

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:16:56]

AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Quoting rampbro (Reply 1):
How do arriving pax get from the Annex to customs? Is that by bus, or is the tunnel divided between inbound/outbound pax?

I have not been to the A/B annex yet and am curious if anybody who has flown through there in its first day or two of operations can post a report.

I am guessing that since there is only one tunnel to access it, any WS international arrivals would park at Terminal 3 and passengers would proceed to customs the way they normally do.

I think that in addition to the Encore Q400 operation, WS would schedule flights with large numbers of connecting passengers to use the A/B annex, such as Caribbean / Mexico holiday destinations, or flights to smaller Canadian markets.

WS will still maintain the largest presence in Terminal 3 of all operators in terms of daily departures. Flights to Ottawa and Montreal will still use the centrally-located gates 24, 25, and 26. I would suspect other important Canadian destinations such as Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, and Halifax will be kept on that side as well. The US departures such as LGA, FLL, LAS, PHX, and others will still go out of the transborder area. Finally, when WS 767s reach Pearson in August, they will also be using the main terminal area, and not the annex.

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:29:39]

[Edited 2015-06-10 10:32:43]

jamincan

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:29 pm

There are actually a number of non-Star Alliance airlines in Terminal 1 as well.

AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Quoting jamincan (Reply 3):
Quoting jamincan (Reply 3):
There are actually a number of non-Star Alliance airlines in Terminal 1 as well.

Yes - Emirates and Etihad come to mind off hand. Who else?

chrisa330

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Sunwing and Jet Airways operation from T1 also.

drgmobile

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:02 pm

I've had a hard time figuring out where this is. There is a satellite building on the other side of the runways/taxiways with gates that was used when T1 was under construction but T2 had closed. It was accessed by shuttle buses and used for U.S. transborder AC flights -- I took a Jazz flight to Atlanta out of there once.

This isn't that, right?

GavinSharp

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Quoting drgmobile (Reply 6):
I've had a hard time figuring out where this is. There is a satellite building on the other side of the runways/taxiways with gates that was used when T1 was under construction but T2 had closed.

You're thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto...rnational_Airport#Infield_Terminal

which is in the space between the runways. This is not that. As far as I can tell Pier A/B refers to the little bit of disconnected terminal you can see here:

http://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C...m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

[Edited 2015-06-10 12:09:59]

pnwtraveler

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:36 pm

The annex is immediately between T3 and the Air Canada hangars. There is nothing between the annex and the first pier of T3 just the usual taxi clearance. There is space for a couple larger planes, Air Transat 310's have been there and before that Canada 3000, but most of the positions are for commuter aircraft like the Encore Q400. The gates are in a J shape the go partially around the rectangle building if that makes sense. We parked there once when flying a USAir Dash (before Q version) at a ground stand just off the end of the building (maybe 2 places like that) then we went into the building and then into Customs. Long walk! Another time we were met by a bus and driven over to US Customs. Not sure what the difference was except perhaps one actually was a domestic flight I am forgeting about.

The annex is not shown on the Pearson Maps yet. but it would be on the left right beside the US pier in light green, The tunnel goes to near the top left tip of the green where the ground boarding stations are for a few US bound commuter aircraft.

http://maps.torontopearson.com/gtaa/...jsp?id=13&name=t3UsaDepartures&t=3

pnwtraveler

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:44 pm

Quoting GavinSharp (Reply 7):
As far as I can tell Pier A/B refers to the little bit of disconnected terminal you can see here:

Exactly what I was trying to describe. Where all the baggage containers are stored is one stand and then 4 or so ground stands where you walk to the terminal.

Gr8Circle

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:48 pm

There's also a similar isolated section of terminal south of T1, facing the 427.....what is that, who uses it and how is it accessed?

ek241yyz

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Not sure about you guys but I always called it the satellite terminal, pier A/b annex too difficult to remember
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

GavinSharp

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 10):
There's also a similar isolated section of terminal south of T1, facing the 427.....what is that, who uses it and how is it accessed?

That's the "Terminal 1 satellite", also known as "East Satellite Terminal", accessed via shuttle bus. Used to be part of Terminal 2 IIRC. I think cross-border Jazz flights use that terminal.

pnwtraveler

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:13 pm

As far as I can tell Pier A/B refers to the little bit of disconnected terminal you can see here:

Exactly what I was trying to describe. Where all the baggage containers are stored is one stand and then 4 or so ground stands where you walk to the terminal.

SwissCanuck

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:31 pm

This area was open as little as 5 years ago; this is really no big deal.

Delta Connection was there, and at least one other airline - maybe CO at one point ?

At the time there was no tunnel - you had to take one of those enormous busses. Then it would drop you off at customs on the way back.

neromancer

Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Quoting GavinSharp (Reply 12):
That's the "Terminal 1 satellite", also known as "East Satellite Terminal", accessed via shuttle bus. Used to be part of Terminal 2 IIRC. I think cross-border Jazz flights use that terminal.

I fairly sure it's not used any more. I used to fly out of the satellite terminal a fair bit. It's been replaced by gates F84 to F99 built onto Terminal 1 (in a sort of temporary structure). One of my co-workers calls it "the barn". It's also a heck of a walk to customs. I actually preferred the satellite terminal as the bus would drop you off very near customs.

voodoo

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Flew out of there on Jetsgo in 2004.......
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

pnwtraveler

Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Yes the structure of gates F84 to 99 is temporary. Designed to be dismantled and reused. When Pier G is built it will be the new cross border arm and the commuter aircraft will move to the far side of G with a more permanent arrangement of gates like 84-99. The biggest growth for AC is the International growth so it will occupy more and more of pier F. Eventually fewer gates with more widebodies will move down the sides of the pier.

The true large satellite terminal in the middle of the field is waiting it's next use. I think one or two gates are still serviceable and it can be used as an isolation area if needs be. It ws built to be easily converted to a cargo facility.

I don't believe there were any services in this restarted satelite terminal by T3. Imagine being stuck in there with a delayed flight. Maybe they have carts that can be wheeled in and out. I hated the US Jazz Communter Terminal and I never flew out of the major satelite terminal but my parents hated it. All stop gaps necessitated by construction upheaval.

N1120A

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:54 am

Quoting Neromancer (Reply 15):
It's been replaced by gates F84 to F99 built onto Terminal 1 (in a sort of temporary structure). One of my co-workers calls it "the barn".

My wife and I call it the Tin Terminal. It sucks. Long walks to customs, but also long walks when departing.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:03 pm

which is in the space between the runways. This is not that. As far as I can tell Pier A/B refers to the little bit of disconnected terminal you can see here:

http://www.google.ca/maps/place/43%C...hl=en

Yes that is the Pier A/B that is (re) opening this week.

Quoting ek241yyz (Reply 11):

Not sure about you guys but I always called it the satellite terminal, pier A/b annex too difficult to remember

haha  

I think the real reason I have seen the Pier A/B annex is that name hints that it may be used for transborder ops. In Terminal 3, the A gates are for USA flights, and B is domestic flights along with some international (Caribbean, Mexico, Iceland).

It remains to be seen how they would configure the Pier A/B annex for this, but I'm guessing that is part of the long term plan.

Quoting SwissCanuck (Reply 14):

This area was open as little as 5 years ago; this is really no big deal.

True - the area has been used off and on throughout Terminal 3's existence. However this time I believe they are setting themselves up for getting it right. If WS runs 30-40 flights / day out of there and has the area dedicated to them, it is only going to help them grow their YYZ flying (which currently is just under 100 flights / day). Connections will be much easier, there are more gates available, ramp staff and maintenance will have an easier time doing their duties. Plus it may open up Terminal 3 space to other airlines who have been considering YYZ.

TS-IOR

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:40 am

Don't forget that 10-jetway-equipped terminal between the 05/33 parallels. It reminds me of the Southwest and Sun Country terminal in MSP.

SwissCanuck

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:58 am

Quoting TS-IOR (Reply 20):
Don't forget that 10-jetway-equipped terminal between the 05/33 parallels. It reminds me of the Southwest and Sun Country terminal in MSP.

That's what everyone else has been talking about further up thread, technically the Terminal 1 satellite. Now used mostly to shoot films.

AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Quoting SwissCanuck (Reply 21):
That's what everyone else has been talking about further up thread, technically the Terminal 1 satellite. Now used mostly to shoot films.

With WS spreading over to Pier A/B, that is the next spot to be filled in, in YYZ. If growth continues over the next few years I could see some Terminal 3 activity spilling over to there.

Film work aside, a lot of widebodies use the ramp space of the infield terminal as an area they get repositioned to between flights for reprovisioning. Sometimes they appear to be parked and attached to jetways. I've also seen a number of cargo carriers use the ramp space as a hard stand. Finally, Kelowna Flightcraft's DC-10 cargo operation appears to be based on that area.

longhauler

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:03 pm

Quoting SwissCanuck (Reply 21):

I think people are getting two terminals confused.

The "A terminal", often called the Satellite terminal, is directly north of T3, against a present AC maintenace hangar. It is accessed via underground tunnel (from the domestic B pier of T3) if going to a domestic or international flight. The north half of the satellite terminal is ground level for commutter aircraft, and has been used by Delta in the past for this. For this function, it was accessed by bus from the north east side of T3 after clearing customs pre-clearance. I don't believe it is still used for this function, as the ground level gates no longer exist on Jepp ground charts. Just gates A2 to A6.

The terminal between 15/33s is called the Infield Terminal, with gates 521 to 531. It was a temporary terminal used during transition from T1 Old to T1 New. It is only accessed by bus.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

tribird1011

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 23):
I don't believe it is still used for this function, as the ground level gates no longer exist on Jepp ground charts. Just gates A2 to A6.

The A1 gates (as they were referred) will be operational pretty soon - not sure in what function, but most likely for Encore's Q4 domestic service, leaving the A2-A6 (or B2-B6) for the 737's.

that ramp area has been repaved recently (within the last 3 weeks) and all the lead-in lines have been repainted. The AG entrance has also been reopened - although no aircraft has used it as yet AFAIK

longhauler

Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting tribird1011 (Reply 24):
The A1 gates (as they were referred) will be operational pretty soon - not sure in what function, but most likely for Encore's Q4 domestic service, leaving the A2-A6 (or B2-B6) for the 737's.

That sounds about right. Then they can be accessed "from above" for domestic operations, unlike previously where there was no access between the A1 gates and A2-A6.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Viscount724

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:10 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 23):
The terminal between 15/33s is called the Infield Terminal, with gates 521 to 531. It was a temporary terminal used during transition from T1 Old to T1 New. It is only accessed by bus.

During that interim period why didn't just continue using T2 a little longer until T1 New was ready, to avoid the need to built that infield terminal? If memory correct T1 Old and T2 closed and were demolished about the same time. But T2 wasn't in the way of T1 New so couldn't they just have kept using part of it for whatever flights wound up at the infield terminal?

N1120A

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 26):
During that interim period why didn't just continue using T2 a little longer until T1 New was ready, to avoid the need to built that infield terminal? If memory correct T1 Old and T2 closed and were demolished about the same time. But T2 wasn't in the way of T1 New so couldn't they just have kept using part of it for whatever flights wound up at the infield terminal?

Remember, T2 was exclusively used for transborder flights, and designed as such. Also, I believe they needed to demolish T2 in order to build part of T1.

Viscount724

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:18 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):

Remember, T2 was exclusively used for transborder flights, and designed as such. Also, I believe they needed to demolish T2 in order to build part of T1.

They had to demolish the original T1 to make room for the new T1 but I thought T2 was to the northeast of the new T1 site, but I'm probably wrong as if there wasn't a reason to demolish T2 it would have made sense to keep using it rather than build that infield structure.

T2 handled all AC and Star Alliance partner services, not just transborder, until AC took over CP. T2 wasn't big enough for everything when CP moved out of T3 so they moved longhaul international flights to the old T1 which AC hadn't used since T2 opened in the 1970s. Carriers that were then in the old T1 moved to T3. To the best of my memory, T2 then handled both AC domestic and transborder flights, except regional flights (Jazz etc.) which I think also moved to the old T1 temporarily. That period with AC international and domestic/transborder flights in different terminals wasn't very convenient for connections. They reopened the pedestrian tunnel connecting the old T1 and T2 that had been closed for many years for security reasons.

longhauler

Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:41 am

During that interim period why didn't just continue using T2 a little longer until T1 New was ready, to avoid the need to built that infield terminal?

While it didn't appear so on the outside, T2 got in the way of the demolition of T1 Old and the construction of T1 New. Don't forget, a lot of the materials taken from both T1 Old and T2 were recycled in the construction of the new terminal. There were piles of material everywhere, as well as "recycling stations" that took up a lot of tarmac room.

I am sure if they could have found a way to keep T2 running, they would have. But, I do recall a short while when overflow aircraft were parked at T2, but passengers bused to and from T1 New, just like what eventually happened with the Infield Terminal. Also, while basic, the Infield Terminal had passenger amenities like restaurants, currency exchange, gift shops, duty free, etc. The only thing missing was that there was no MLL.

The parking garage of T2 stayed up a lot longer than the actual terminal. (It actually shows still existing on Jepp charts!) It was used for employee parking, and employees could walk to T1, or bus to T3.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 27):
Remember, T2 was exclusively used for transborder flights, and designed as such.

AC has always used it for all services, Domestic on the north end, then Rapidair, then Transborder, then International on the east end. (This was the final configuration ... when first opened it was Domestic, International then Transborder west to east).

StarAC17

Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Quoting AirNovaBAe146 (Reply 4):
Yes - Emirates and Etihad come to mind off hand. Who else?

EVA air moved there recently IIRC.

Quoting GavinSharp (Reply 12):

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 10):

It was used by Jazz and other commuter flights out of T2 that were trans-border, you cleared pre-clearance and were then bused over to it.

IIRC the domestic and international portions of T1 were opened in 2004 but I don't believe it was at full capacity until the transborder area and "the hammer" opened in 2007 when T2 was demolished so while the customs facility was up and running at T1 there was not enough gates to handle all the traffic and hence the need for the infield terminal.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

ek241yyz

Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:14 pm

Quoting StarAc17 (Reply 30):
EVA air moved there recently IIRC.

EVA is now Star alliance, hence why they moved to T1.
Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself.

jamincan

Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Initially Pier D and E were constructed while T1-Old and T2 remained open. The south east side of Pier C in Terminal 3 had no gates at this time.

http://airchive.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/yyz11.jpg

As I recall, they opened Pier D and the northwest side of Pier E and then started tearing down T1-Old and constructing Pier F while T2 remained open. I seem to recall that they demolished part of T2 before opening the south side of Pier F, but I can't verify that.

N1120A

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 29):
AC has always used it for all services, Domestic on the north end, then Rapidair, then Transborder, then International on the east end. (This was the final configuration ... when first opened it was Domestic, International then Transborder west to east).

Before. At the end, T2 was all Transborder.

SwissCanuck

Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 33):
Before. At the end, T2 was all Transborder.

Correct. There isn't enough Tequila in Mexico to make me forget it.

Gr8Circle

Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:46 pm

T2 was partially demolished to make way for T1 construction.....the new T1 opened in 2004 and the remainder of T2 continued in operation well into 2005.....it was probably shut down for demolition towards end of 2005 or early 2006....

krisyyz

Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:16 pm

Quoting pnwtraveler (Reply 17):
Yes the structure of gates F84 to 99 is temporary. Designed to be dismantled and reused. When Pier G is built it will be the new cross border arm and the commuter aircraft will move to the far side of G with a more permanent arrangement of gates like 84-99. The biggest growth for AC is the International growth so it will occupy more and more of pier F. Eventually fewer gates with more widebodies will move down the sides of the pier.

I flew out of that area last week, it looked like some prep work was being done just east of the F pier for the future G Pier / G Hammerhead.

There's some good info and pictures on page 16-17 of this document, albeit the document is somewhat dated so I don't know if the plans have changed at all.

http://www.torontopearson.com/upload...06%20-%20Passenger%20Terminals.pdf

Kristof

jamincan

Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:27 pm

What sort of work? The area for Pier G and H is clearly set aside in satellite photos, but the GTAA doesn't mention anything about terminal expansion in their most recent annual report for 2014. This paragraph seems to quash any hope of expansion any time soon:

Quote:
During the 2012 to 2014 period, the GTAA determined that it could defer certain of the large capital projects by taking advantage of new technology and implementing smaller capital projects to increase passenger and aircraft processing capacity within the existing terminal and airfield footprint. As a result the GTAA deferred approximately $511 million of capital expenditures in respect of the Planned Capital Projects and the associated debt service costs during this three year-period.

It does mention a Enhancement Program for both T1 and T3.

Quote:
Terminal 1 Improvement Project – The Terminal 1 improvement project addresses a regulatory requirement that relocates passenger security screening in advance of United States customs and immigration processing. This project is scheduled to be completed during the second quarter of 2016.

As at December 31, 2014, the GTAA has expended $1.3 million on the Terminal 1 improvement project.

Terminal 3 Improvement Projects – The Terminal 3 improvement projects include the following improvements:
• Restoration of Pier A (formerly known as the Terminal 3 Satellite Facility). The restoration of Pier A will upgrade this facility to an operational condition and will add five bridged gates and four commuter aircraft parking positions to Terminal 3. This project is scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2015.
• Relocation of passenger security screening in advance of United States customs and immigration pre-clearance processing. This project addresses a new regulatory requirement. This project is scheduled to be completed at the end of 2015.

The following Terminal 3 projects are expected to be completed in 2017:
• Energy efficiency improvements, including LED lighting upgrades, installation of daylight sensors, modifications to mechanical and lighting control systems, and replacement of HVAC equipment to high efficiency.
• Retail improvements, including the provision of new post-security retail space for duty free, food and beverage, specialty retail, and newsstands, with an atrium allowing for natural light into the space to enhance passenger experience.
• Modifications to check-in and security screening layout. This will include expanded passenger security screening checkpoints serving domestic and international passengers.

As at December 31, 2014, the GTAA has expended $38.7 million on the Terminal 3 improvement projects.

Elsewhere it mentions that the T1 program will also improve baggage handling facilities.

AirNovaBAe146
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:14 pm

I just had my first trip thru Pier A/B. Officially, they are numbered gates B1 thru B5. Overall - very impressed with it. There appear to be 4-5 jetbridge gates for WestJet Boeing 737s on the south side of it, and 4 parking spots for WestJet Encore on the north side in which their Q400s ground load.

From the outside, it appears to have similar architecture as the rest of Terminal 3; the greyish exterior with the red horizontal stripe. On the inside, it is a much nicer facility. The exterior windows are bigger and it feels much brighter and airier. There is a Tim Hortons on the lower level and a nice restaurant / pub on the upper level, along with several convenience stores. The boarding lounges are significantly larger than the boarding lounges on the main part of Terminal 3, and there are separate areas with nice recliner chairs. There is wireless throughout the facility.

WestJet is the only tenant of the area, and it will significantly improve their Toronto operation, as it greatly facilitates connections. They have it branded with a lot of advertisements and promotional material. I saw WestJet flights boarding to several destinations including Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, and Halifax, along with WestJet Encore flights to Thunder Bay, Fredericton, and Quebec City.

The biggest drawback to this new gate area might be its location. It is boxed in by a pair of Air Canada hangars, and I don't believe it will be possible to expand it. Without even trying, the AC logo along with an impressive close up display of their widebodies are visible to anyone who looks out the north side of it.

Congratulations to WestJet and to Pearson for this revamped facility.

FighterPilot

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Quoting AirNovaBAe146 (Reply 38):
There is a Tim Hortons on the lower level

Of course there is!

WestJet is the only tenant of the area, and it will significantly improve their Toronto operation, as it greatly facilitates connections. They have it branded with a lot of advertisements and promotional material. I saw WestJet flights boarding to several destinations including Victoria, Vancouver, Calgary, and Halifax, along with WestJet Encore flights to Thunder Bay, Fredericton, and Quebec City.

Good news, great to see they're utilizing once empty space and almost making it a "Westjet" terminal.
I have only stepped foot in T3 once in over 15 years as I almost always fly out of T1 when in YYZ.

Cal   
*Insert Sound Of GE90 Spooling Up Here*

Whiteguy

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:37 am

I just had my first trip thru Pier A/B. Officially, they are numbered gates B1 thru B5. Overall - very impressed with it. There appear to be 4-5 jetbridge gates for WestJet Boeing 737s on the south side of it, and 4 parking spots for WestJet Encore on the north side in which their Q400s ground load.

Inside the terminal they are B1-5 but out side they are A1-5, not sure why airports do this.....

Quoting FighterPilot (Reply 39):

There is a Tim Hortons on the lower level

Of course there is!

There's one on the upper level to, coffee, muffins and donuts only....

timf

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:28 pm

Quoting whiteguy (Reply 40):
Inside the terminal they are B1-5 but out side they are A1-5, not sure why airports do this.....

The Terminal 3 gates are labelled according to destination security clearance:
A = Transborder
B = Domestic
C = International

My understand is these gates used to be used for Transborder and were labeled as "A" gates, but with WestJet using them they are now Domestic gates and thus treated as "B" gates.

pnwtraveler

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:27 pm

The paper and stations made a do about the new enhancements at T3 that have opened and that includes the satellite terminal. Spa services and food selections that were mentioned are in the Terminal 3 proper.

There is some work being done on that side but I am not sure if it is dragging tail end of the remediation of old T2 or actual prep work. This summer and the volumes of the PanAm Games will determine a lot whether the actual expansion goes on the books. There is lots of space in T2 during off periods. However, It gets quite tight during evening rush hours though. Planes that don't turn around immediately are moved to the new holding areas where T2 used to be, for example EK242 A380 empties mid-afternoon and doesn't leave to mid evening. Some of the AC flights that do a domestic shorthaul or Rapidair flight are groomed at the doemstic side and then moved to the International pier so limit the time holding a gate there. The gates along the side of the International pier are swing transborder and those are very busy late afternoon/early evening.

The sides of F will be reconfiguered to handle more widebodies when pier G is built. The tin box or whatever the poster called it will be replaced by the far side of G which will handle the RJ's and commuters.

I can't see the Infield Terminal being reactivated unless some huge growth hits T3. The Africa/Arab flights arrive and leave in the mornings a quieter T1 International time. Much of the Latin America growth in flights are overnight so leave late just before curfew. Any new flights from these two areas could be accommodated similarly in either T1 or T3.

The next largest area of growth is through Asia flights. These seem to be leaving late afternoon so they are bumping into the busy time. Cathay's extra flights are arriving morning and leaving morning while their main flight is late night departure.

AC is still growing Rouge but it remains to be seen how much goes domestic and international. The pace of 789 deliveries really pick up late this year and early next. So demand is there and it will be interesting seeing when Pier G gets announced.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos