Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

Silver Cancels BHM/MSY/SAV Launches

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Silver Airways somewhat ambitious expansion with new service on the routes SAV-MCO, BHM-MSY, BHM-JAX and MSY-PNS has been cancelled a week before flights were to start. All flights removed from GDS and refunds being given.

I realize Silver Airways is spinning as this as a "postponement," but I'd be shocked if the routes happen.

http://www.wvtm13.com/news/silver-ai...s-delays-birmingham-debut/33511284

http://businessinsavannah.com/bis/20...postpones-service-savannah-orlando
a.

bennett123

RE: Silver Cancels BHM/MSY/SAV Launches

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:07 pm

I would be rather concerned about this if I was a stakeholder.

This seems rather last minute.

NolaMD88fan

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:12 pm

I posted about this on the MSY thread yesterday. Very surprising to cancel the service so abruptly. It may have to do with crew scheduling issues more than anything. I don't see any other reason to cancel the launch of 3 new markets without giving them time to mature.

SANFan

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Huh oh.....   

bb

727LOVER

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Didn't they do the same with PIE?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

ATLgaUSA

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:31 am

They were refusing to accept reservations on the BHM routes until the day of launch. My wife called at least three times trying to book two separate trips to MSY. It's almost like they knew they weren't going to actually launch the routes.

mtnwest1979

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:36 am

Big Sky Airlines did similar thing when they announced new service connecting Boise, Kalispell,Spokane and Calgary.
YYC and FCA/GPI were new locations. However they dropped it before it started and you know what happened from that point.
Downhill until stopping business.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

usxguy

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 am

Well they are selling seats from Panama City to Orlando for $39... ouch
xx

NolaMD88fan

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:18 am

Quoting ATLgaUSA (Reply 5):
They were refusing to accept reservations on the BHM routes until the day of launch. My wife called at least three times trying to book two separate trips to MSY. It's almost like they knew they weren't going to actually launch the routes.

That is not a good sign.

Also, yes they did the same thing at PIE back in March.

These are all red flags of some issues at the airline, imo.

[Edited 2015-06-11 22:59:57]

DiamondFlyer

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:25 pm

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 8):
These are all red flags of some issues at the airline, imo.

Red flags in terms of pilot staffing yes. Otherwise, no, they've got their nice little niche in Florida, they aren't going anywhere.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

bhmdiversion

Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Does this come to a surprise to anyone? No.

Silver, just like ExpressJet Branded, back after Katrina, have both tried the MSY route from BHM and failed each time.

BHM will continue to, and will ALWAYS be a regional airport that the biggest equipment that will come in will be the occasional 757 Delta will throw on the route, or the International diversion that will come in due to ATL weather. True, they have customs/FIS there, but there is just no infrastructure to support all of these "crazy" idea airlines / routes.

Of course, this is my 2 cents.

Italianflyer

Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:36 pm

Lack of staffing or lack of interest...love to know from those 'in the know'. IDK if it's true or not, another forum claims the pilot coverage can barely handle current flying and they are even having problems retaining flight attendants.

GSPSPOT

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:03 pm

Quoting NolaMD88fan (Reply 2):
It may have to do with crew scheduling issues more than anything. I don't see any other reason to cancel the launch of 3 new markets without giving them time to mature.
Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 11):
Lack of staffing or lack of interest...love to know from those 'in the know'. IDK if it's true or not, another forum claims the pilot coverage can barely handle current flying and they are even having problems retaining flight attendants.

Well, good lord... I know it's not a huge airline, but one would assume it's run by educated people with at least SOME experience in the industry(??). Don't they plan? Don't they know in advance what they will and will not be able to do?
Great Lakes, great life.

Italianflyer

Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 pm

One would think so GSP. In their defense, advance schedule planning for the small fry has to be a nightmare these days. There is no way to model staffing projections based on past metrics given the recent hiring binge at legacies and especially ULCCs. Silver may be a a double disadvantage sharing hometowns with a rapidly growing NK.

32andBelow

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:15 pm

Quoting ItalianFlyer (Reply 13):
One would think so GSP. In their defense, advance schedule planning for the small fry has to be a nightmare these days. There is no way to model staffing projections based on past metrics given the recent hiring binge at legacies and especially ULCCs. Silver may be a a double disadvantage sharing hometowns with a rapidly growing NK.

At a small carrier you even have to have the expansion plan before you hire for it, since it will be such an increase of staffing that would be unwarranted if the expansion does not happen.

usxguy

Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 9):
Otherwise, no, they've got their nice little niche in Florida, they aren't going anywhere.

... and when they DO go, its normally 2 - 4 hours late

xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos