Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Houston Aviation Thread - Part 1

Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:56 pm

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 199):
JNB?

Not enough range. Perhaps via another African city.

AUH

Pretty big hole in EY's network

BCN

Dunno

MAD?

I'm gonna let my thick skull get in the way of other's judgement here. I still personally think it would based off of what I hear from others and for how long this route has apparently been thrown around.
A man is only as big as the amount of strings on his guitar.

RGElectra80

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 200):
I'm gonna let my thick skull get in the way of other's judgement here. I still personally think it would based off of what I hear from others and for how long this route has apparently been thrown around.

Ha!  I haven't kept up with IAH's rumors in a few years honestly. Didn't know it was one of "those". It's like AUS and this mythical ICN-AUS that's been bouncing around forums since BA came to town.

BCN's downfall as far as this game is concerned is that it doesn't offer much in the way of connectivity to the rest of Europe like MAD would. While we're in the Iberian peninsula, what about LIS?

Would DT ever want to compete with 5Y for LAD?
austinspotter.wordpress.com

toxtethogrady

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 am

Quoting tbboko802 (Reply 189):
They are not equal, ATL to Chattanooga is approximately a 2 hour drive whereas IAH to Beaumont is a little over an hour.

Who's driving the car, Jerry Glanville?

toxtethogrady

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 200):
Not enough range. Perhaps via another African city.

South African actually had flights to JNB that stopped at Sal enroute.

Quoting RGElectra80 (Reply 201):
BCN's downfall as far as this game is concerned is that it doesn't offer much in the way of connectivity to the rest of Europe like MAD would.

That's not true anymore. as that Catalan city has quite a few spokes to the rest of Europe, the Middle East and the former Soviet republics. They handled about 40 million passengers last year, and they didn't all go to Madrid.

triley1057

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:58 pm

I see that Air China is cutting frequencies into IAH? Are they hurting from all the new competition?

I also was surprised to see that AV is cutting frequency to less than daily. Both these routes are Star to Star hub routes.

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:33 pm

A FedEx 77F is currently in IAH. Never heard of one coming here before. Sub for a DC-10 maybe?

Quoting triley1057 (Reply 204):

I see that Air China is cutting frequencies into IAH? Are they hurting from all the new competition?

I also was surprised to see that AV is cutting frequency to less than daily. Both these routes are Star to Star hub routes.

The CA cut is during the down season so it might a little of that, plus increased competition.

hohd

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:16 pm

Here is a complaint I have with both airports.

IAH - International baggage claim/customs and immigration. The whole process is very slow especially during evening hours. Last time I was coming from FRA on UA, the customs clearance after bag claim took a good 45 minutes, causing several to miss connections, fortunately my destination was Houston.
Even domestic bag claim is slow many times.

HOU - Slow baggage claim. Every time me or my relatives/friends had to wait a long time at the baggage claim, or is it Southwest that is incompetent ?

thomasphoto60

Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:52 pm

Quoting hohd (Reply 206):
IAH - International baggage claim/customs and immigration. The whole process is very slow especially during evening hours. Last time I was coming from FRA on UA, the customs clearance after bag claim took a good 45 minutes, causing several to miss connections, fortunately my destination was Houston.

It is one of those unfortunate side effects of all this rapid growth that most here have been screaming for. I recall maybe some 15 years ago, someone quoting "that you could toss a bowling ball from one end of the customs hall (when it was located at 'D') and not hit anyone, the same for the ticketing and check in areas". If IAH continues to grow at this pace, I am not a 100% certain that all of the changes at 'D' will answer theses issues, time will tell.
"Show me the Braniffs"

wilcal

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Just saw in the OAG changes thread that F9 is launching IAH-LAS.

I'm sure they've seen the rather juicy fares that Spirit has been getting. Haven't seen it less than $250ish RT on NK.

IAHWorldflyer

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:25 pm

Much of this is because ICE moved the "bottleneck" last year from your arrival in the Immigration Hall upstairs to the exit of baggage claim in Customs early last year. This was when they introduced the new optical passport scanner stations upstairs. So now you spend much less time with an Immigration agent ( generally one is just about waved through). However, now the onus is on the customs guys downstairs to catch anything untowards, so that's why you see the exit line taking so darn long.

YXwatcherMKE

Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:06 am

HOU - Slow baggage claim. Every time me or my relatives/friends had to wait a long time at the baggage claim, or is it Southwest that is incompetent ?

It has to be WN! Because every time we fly WN we wait and wait for our bags, in DEN, MKE (HOME), DCA and PHI. Whenever we fly to those cities by DL or AA(US) our bags are coming out shortly after we get to the baggage claim area or we even had a few times they were already out on the belts when we get to baggage claim. And we should not have to wait 35 minutes at MKE's Baggage Claim at 2300 hours when there are only 4 WN flights total, within the hour before and after our flight arrived.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:12 am

The D expansion won't do anything to help the CBP mess, if anything it'll make it worse. The only thing that will fix the mess in the E FIS is if they go ahead the FIS for B North, which is desperately needed.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:18 am

Last time I checked a bag when flying into IAH was last February on a UA A320 from IAD. I went to the designated carousel and waited there for about an hour before all the other passengers started to realize that they put the bags on the wrong carousel.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a good baggage experience at IAH before. Never had any of my belongings messed with or lost before though (knock on wood).

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:46 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 211):
The only thing that will fix the mess in the E FIS is if they go ahead the FIS for B North, which is desperately needed.

Yeah, it was unfortunate that they postponed that project, it certainly would have helped speed the clearance process up at 'E' if those ERJs had their own FIS facility at 'B'.
"Show me the Braniffs"

yellowtail

Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:52 am

Here is a complaint I have with both airports.

Quoting IAHWorldFlyer (Reply 209):
Much of this is because ICE moved the "bottleneck" last year from your arrival in the Immigration Hall upstairs to the exit of baggage claim in Customs early last year. This was when they introduced the new optical passport scanner stations upstairs. So now you spend much less time with an Immigration agent ( generally one is just about waved through). However, now the onus is on the customs guys downstairs to catch anything untowards, so that's why you see the exit line taking so darn long.

"waived through"...thats funny....usually I get about a 1.5 to 2.3 hour wait in immigration line there....last time there were only 4 CBP officers doing foreign national arrivals. ...horrible. I hope HOU will be better.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

COflyerBOS

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:32 am

You were lucky with a 45 minute line.

I flew in from London last week on Sunday and the scene was CRUSHED. The line upstairs was well over an hour and the place was hotter than hell.

After finally making it through, I then proceeded downstairs. Not sure how, but it was an even bigger cluster. The crowd was so large, nobody knew where the line began to form. Fights were breaking out between people who thought others were line cutting. It was absolute chaos. The poor people making connections were freaking out and there wasn't a United agent to be found anywhere to ease people's fears/frustrations. The signage also left a lot to be desired because the place was so crowded and hectic you literally couldn't see ten feet ahead of you.

It took me 1 hour and 56 minutes to make it out of the building after leaving the plane. That's insane. It took me all of 15 minutes to clear in Heathrow.

TWA772LR

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:44 am

I've worked in the FIS building at IAH for 4 airlines in 4 years. It's not the airline or CBP that controls the line, but the City of Houston. That is where the madness is in Customs. But in immigration, there are probably 10 agents for US/Canadians and 5 for foreigners. The officers on the foreign side have to not pick every damn passenger that doesn't speak English that they process, making the line longer. When I worked at LH, our own crew stood in line for 45 minutes!! A FU%$G CREW!!! I had to go up there to calm down the captain and purser!

And I hate the customs area because it is so claustrophobic. Low ceilings and dim light coupled with thousands of people and their body heat meant I hated having to wear the coat of my uniform for TK, and I rejoiced when I only had to wear a vest for LH. But working arrivals was awesome because the Lost and found agents for LH were awesome and I didn't have supervisors breathing down my neck or noobies asking for help all the time.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

AVENSAB727

Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:54 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 216):

Well, that certainly sounds frustrating, lets hope that HAS atleast upgrades the FIS, or gets started with United on Terminal B north soon. I think if they are going to rebuilt D bigger, they should build a Bigger FIS.

[Edited 2015-08-03 21:58:33]
Always look on the bright side of Life!

AVENSAB727

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:09 am

To put all criticisms of IAH aside, here is an interesting video of IAH back in March 1990, the month I was born!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlQFR_4mtos

Back in the day before IAH became a behemoth!!

[Edited 2015-08-03 22:10:51]
Always look on the bright side of Life!

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:14 am

Does anybody know if the new SeaPort service is bookable yet? I don't think they've updated their site to include it yet.

tbboko802

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 219):
Does anybody know if the new SeaPort service is bookable yet? I don't think they've updated their site to include it yet.

It is supposed to be bookable on Seaport's website by August 11th. It appears that it is bookable on Expedia and Orbitz now.
Be Open to Change

toxtethogrady

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Quoting triley1057 (Reply 204):

Seasonal affectation disorder.

The Chinese market is quite instructive for what might happen at IAH. Though the Chinese economy appears to be headed into a rough patch, they've seen a significant jump in passenger traffic nationwide, and some airports (PVG) have seen surprising traffic increases.

wilcal

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:06 pm

Pardon the ignorance, but what is SeaPort service?

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Quoting wilcal (Reply 222):

They're a small airline starting service from IAH to El Dorado. They fly Cessna 208's.

wilcal

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 223):

Interesting. Why? Oil?

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 am

Quoting wilcal (Reply 224):

Interesting. Why? Oil?

I'm sure it has something to do with it. They were at DAL but gate troubles regarding VX has caused them to move voluntarily. IAH was apparently the next best option to them.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:21 am

I think the biggest holes from IAH (that can be reached nonstop with current aircraft) are:
PVG
HKG
SYD
MAD/BCN, I have a feeling these won't coexist at IAH
MVD
BRA
CNF
CAI
RUH/DMM/JED, same as BCN/MAD
ZRH
OSL
BOM

Not on any particular order, of course.

I think HOU could sustain service with the following:
CM PTY
DL LAX
AA MIA
Porter with the CSeries
WN to Canada
And I see one or two of the Mexican LCCs moving to HOU after their FIS opens.

Does anyone really know why VX decided to make DAL a hub over DFW or either Houston airport? DFW and IAH have tons more room than DAL and FIS facilities, HOU is close to downtown Houston and will soon have FIS, giving them to compete more against WN and have more of a fighting chance connecting business markets in Central America closer to Houston's downtown.

BA0197

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:27 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 226):

I wonder if this would be a prime route for IB to look at.

HKG

Quite surprised UA isn't on this bandwagon yet, considering AA has it working very well from DFW. CX may want to try, but with AA just up the road....not that CX and AA have the best relationships.

The others I can't see happening at all.

AA MIA

This won't happen. The 5x daily AA flights to MIA from IAH are there to feed F/J tragic to south america- nothing more. There is VERY strong seasonal demand, but apart from peak season, these flights go our nearly half full in Y...but always full in F (with PAYING customers). HOU would not attract the high yielding demand that IAH would outside the peak seasons.

drerx7

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:41 am

Quoting BA0197 (Reply 227):
I wonder if this would be a prime route for IB to look at.

I doubt they would ignore DFW OneWorld ties for IAH.

Quite surprised UA isn't on this bandwagon yet, considering AA has it working very well from DFW. CX may want to try, but with AA just up the road....not that CX and AA have the best relationships.

Very little O&D from Houston to HKG. Plus no codeshare feed...and it would take up several aircraft to run it.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:41 am

HKG
SYD
SYD

LAXdude is gonna have a stroke   

IAHWorldflyer

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:27 am

I think the more likely international destinations that might be added in the next few years would be along the lines of MDE and CLO in Colombia and a return of GYE in Ecuador. Those are all reachable by narrow-body equipment.
That said, I think that the US-Colombia market is heavily skewed towards the East Coast. However, UA might be able to pick up enough California-bound passengers with a connection at IAH that they could make a 73G or A319 work.
Of the European destinations mentioned, the only ones I could envision would be OSL and ZRH, and both of those are rather big longshots. I don't think Repsol generates enough MAD-IAH traffic to justify a flight, in the same way that Eni doesn't justify a n/s service to FCO.
UA, and previously CO just plain waited too long to jump on the Middle East bandwagon out of Houston. QR and EK, along with TK, really have that marketplace covered for now. The only way UA keeps their routes to the Gulf out of IAD is by having the benefit of having Pentagon officials needing to buy American first when purchasing tickets.

wilcal

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:05 am

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 225):

Well, very interesting. Fares at $185 RT kind of tempting to do one and check out the town for a weekend. Not sure how to get from the airport into town though? Haha

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:10 am

Quoting wilcal (Reply 231):

Well, very interesting. Fares at $185 RT kind of tempting to do one and check out the town for a weekend. Not sure how to get from the airport into town though? Haha

It is indeed very tempting.They were advertising fares for $39 on certain routes. May not be a bad idea to wait for one of those sales to come around.

TWA772LR

Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:18 am

This won't happen.

It is a long shot, but once daily E175/CRJ700 to MIA in the winter and summer (no fall/spring), to tap into the low yielding VFR traffic from the big Latam/Carib community in south Houston, and the small F cabin to scrape up the biz pax that want to avoid IAH or are oneworld loyals. If the biz traffic isn't there, then they can use the E145.

Quoting IAHWorldFlyer (Reply 230):
UA, and previously CO just plain waited too long to jump on the Middle East bandwagon out of Houston. QR and EK, along with TK, really have that marketplace covered for now.

UA, or CO for that matter, couldn't compete with them, even if CO got in before they did. They only way they may coexisted with one of them is if they happened to join an alliance with an ME3 member or formed a JV.

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 229):

I'm getting my flame-proof suit on!

thomasphoto60

Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Anyone have followup on the IAH-HAV Eastern charters? Supposedly operations start up this month, however seems to have disappeared from the radar.
"Show me the Braniffs"

LAXdude1023

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:30 pm

Quoting IAHflyer97 (Reply 229):
Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 233):
I'm getting my flame-proof suit on!

What drives me crazy about threads of this nature is that nobody has any clue on whats feasible nor do they have any data. They just throw out destinations and say "that sounds like a good idea".

Its not specific to Houston. You see this all the time in every IAH/MIA/ATL/DFW/etc. thread.

When I started a DFW thread way back when, I provided PDEW data and average fares from the market to show what it was capible of. Most on here can put alliance ties together.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

tbboko802

Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:36 am

[quote=LAXdude1023,reply=235]
What drives me crazy about threads of this nature is that nobody has any clue on whats feasible nor do they have any data. They just throw out destinations and say "that sounds like a good idea".

Its not specific to Houston. You see this all the time in every IAH/MIA/ATL/DFW/etc. thread.

When I started a DFW thread way back when, I provided PDEW data and average fares from the market to show what it was capible of. Most on here can put alliance ties together.

I actually appreciate your posts  . While I enjoy hearing of new routes and of course speculation, I think that the speculation should be tempered by realism. That being said, I can think of a prominent blog in which for every positive thing reported for IAH there is a counter for DFW. Mind you, this is supposed to be a blog concerning the industry. So, IAH fans get a bit sensitive (probably too sensitive to any perceived slight). Before anyone starts DFW bashing please don't, it really serves no constructive purpose. IAH has been having a lot of success as of late, be happy and be realistic.
Be Open to Change

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:12 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 235):

I have the upmost respect for you and your insight and appreciate when you share it with us.

But at the same time, if no one ever threw strange ideas out there, there would be no use for such a thread.

Each time I say "what about route ABC-XYZ?" It's for the soul purpose of maybe getting a bit more knowledge on something and maybe narrowing down even more of what's feasible and what isn't.

I'm glad that you can help me on that matter.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:27 am

Well when talking about numbers. There are 50,000 pax travelling between Aberdeen and Houston if you believe recent media postings citing that number so finding the right plane and service could spark that route one day.
Routes like that, and the Stavanger service can chip away at the old powerhouses like BA and KLM, but it is one route were there is a demand, it is just finding the right airline, price point and airplane.

UA is not likely brave-enough to throw a 767 on the route 4x or 5x a week. If a 757 had the legs it would nice on the route.

Aberdeen, like Maracaibo and Kuala Lumpur and a few others, are also markets where the energy companies fly their corporate jets very often in some cases so airlines also try to get some of the corporate traffic to switch to F/J flights.

SAS marketed Stavanger hard at several energy companies trying to get them to put some of their corporate traffic on the flight, to mixed success.
I was told there would be cookies...

Okcflyer

Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:59 am

Does UA even have slack in the 767 fleet accommodate such a route even if it wanted too?

IAHWorldflyer

Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Quoting OKCFlyer (Reply 239):
Does UA even have slack in the 767 fleet accommodate such a route even if it wanted too?

Short answer: not now, but in about 2 years they will.

There's a big shift going on at UA right now with equipment for international flying. It's covered on other threads here, so I won't go into great detail, but in addition to ordering 10 frames of 77W's ( and making some current sUA 777's domestic), there are still about 10 789's coming into the fleet by 2018. THey also have decided to keep and upgrade the 3 class 763 fleet ( upgrade in the sense of converting to 2 class layout with better IFE) which had been set to retire in another year or two.

What they decide to do with some extra widebody frames is anyone's guess. My sense is that Smisek sees an opportunity for more secondary Chinese markets. If they add European markets, I think it would be some seasonal stuff like we saw this summer by flying to VCE and increasing FCO service to 3 hubs ( ORD/IAD/EWR).

To get me back on topic of IAH, I don't think IAH will see much more international widebody flying over the next 2 years. Best shot might be PVG, but that remains to be seen. There's currently a whole lot of seats going across the Pacific out of IAH right now.

TWA772LR

Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Does anyone know what UAs plans are for IAH buring the Olympics next year? I know for 2012, they moved a lot of athletes through IAH.

Perhaps we can see double daily 777s to GIG? Or even 77Ws?

toxtethogrady

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:41 am

"What drives me crazy about threads of this nature is that nobody has any clue on whats feasible nor do they have any data."

Data suggested IAH-ICN wouldn't work, but KE showed up anyway. Market stimulation is still a factor on any route, and IAH carried 6% more passengers in June than last year.

LAXdude1023

Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting toxtethogrady (Reply 242):

If you're trying to prove a point, I wouldn't use KE as any kind of success story.

BR seems to be on the up and up, but not KE.

thomasphoto60

Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:03 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 243):
BR seems to be on the up and up, but not K

How's NH doing?
"Show me the Braniffs"

IAHflyer97
Topic Author

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:17 pm

I'll make this one quick. Will IAH ever see regular NK A321 service?

drerx7

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 pm

NK will have 321 1x daily on LAX and I think FLL.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

LAXdude1023

Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Just flew IAH-MUC on Wednesday. There were 50 people on the plane. Wife and I had our own rows. Slept like a baby.  
Quoting thomasphoto60 (Reply 244):
How's NH doing?

Haven't seen to much data, but I think they will be fine. Its pretty easy to make money to Japan and NH seems to be developing a following among Houston's corporate base.

One thing I have heard is that SQ's fares are dropping like a rock. NH's fares seem to be high right now. I think a lot of people don't like going the long way to Asia and the Russian market is not faring so well.

FlyingSicilian

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:30 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 247):
Haven't seen to much data, but I think they will be fine. Its pretty easy to make money to Japan and NH seems to be developing a following among Houston's corporate base.

One thing I have heard is that SQ's fares are dropping like a rock. NH's fares seem to be high right now. I think a lot of people don't like going the long way to Asia and the Russian market is not faring so well.

Everyone is targeting them. NH has ads on big walls at the airport and in media around Houston selling Houston- Tokyo- Singapore.

Korean has been selling "The fastest connection to Singapore" from Houston and EVA has had radio ads noting they will get people to Singapore fast and comfortably on Hello Kitty.

With three airlines now targeting the route directly and energy prices low. I'd imagine SQ will be fighting that for a while.
I was told there would be cookies...

76794p

Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:33 am

Quoting FlyingSicilian (Reply 248):

Would an A359 work on the route best than a 77W?
There's always money IN the banana stand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos