Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

glbltrvlr
Topic Author

AA: We're Too Busy To Talk To You

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Wow... I've never had any major issues with AA, but they hit a new low today. Got an email saying my arrival at ORD was going to be delayed, leaving me with 12 minutes to make a connect from L Concourse to G Concourse. Not going to happen, so I called AA Reservations to see what alternatives they could offer.

After entering my reservation number, I get a recording stating in effect: We're too busy to talk to you, call back later. Click.

WTF?

jetblue1965

RE: AA: We're Too Busy To Talk To You

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Quoting glbltrvlr (Thread starter):

After entering my reservation number, I get a recording stating in effect: We're too busy to talk to you, call back later. Click.

I got the same message too. I'm guessing their callback queue has already maxed out ... unless you want the system to say "you won't lose your place in line ... we'll call YOU back between 5 and 8 hours...."

ericm2031

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:45 pm

UA does that all the time. You call, and if their phone lines are too busy, they tell you to call back later and then hang up:.

American 767

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:47 pm

Wow I'm so sorry to hear that.

Did you call back? You have to insist until finally somebody answers. The message you got probably was: "All of our agents are busy assisting other customers..." It s like that everywhere, not just at the airlines. Me too, I've already had that kind of message. Worst comes to worst, you can explain your situation upon check in at the airport and they might offer you an alternative at no charge.

Hope it works out.

Ben Soriano
Ben Soriano

Aither

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:48 pm

They should say something like, "you will get 100 miles per minute of waiting us to call back".

So you're happy to wait.
Never trust the obvious

rta

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:51 pm

Quoting American 767 (Reply 3):
Did you call back? You have to insist until finally somebody answers.

I could be wrong I don't think AA gives you the option to hold the line. I rarely have to call the airline I'm flying on, so I don't know how it works on other carriers (DL, UA) but I had to call AA once and I couldn't even get ahold of them.

ripcordd

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 pm

Bad Bad Bad storms last night

glbltrvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 5):
I could be wrong I don't think AA gives you the option to hold the line. I rarely have to call the airline I'm flying on, so I don't know how it works on other carriers (DL, UA) but I had to call AA once and I couldn't even get ahold of them.

No, they don't. The first droid takes the reservation number and passes you to a second droid. He says their system is maxed out and call later.

AA767400

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:58 pm

Is this thread even worthy? All airlines do this, and it's certaintly not new.

Slow news day, where the OP should be emailing AA, and not wasting his time here complaining. Heck, use Twitter to get their attention. SMH.
"The low fares airline."

jetblue1965

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 5):

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 7):

No, they don't. The first droid takes the reservation number and passes you to a second droid. He says their system is maxed out and call later.

Most of the time, my experience with AA phone lines is similar to RTA's experience - choice of either holding the line or the call-back option (seriously, UA needs this feature already)

But in rare instances of massive IRROPS, I've experienced what GLBLTRLR got too. It's entirely YMMV.

usflyer msp

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Just call one of the foreign numbers.

When I run into this issue with US, I call the Canadian toll-free number which is routed to the UK call center for some reason. I have never even had a wait.

TVNWZ

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:05 pm

I can understand the situation. With all the severe weather in Chicago the past couple of days, reservations are a mess. This does happen to all airlines. I just use the mobile app. But I am DM on DL and have no idea if AA will let you change misconnects on their app.

lesfalls

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 8):

Correction: All "American airlines " do is.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

glbltrvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:12 pm

OP should be emailing AA

Really? I get a txt from AA saying that my confirmed flight _today_ is now not viable and I should email them to resolve the problem?

Flighty

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:15 pm

Slow news day, where the OP should be emailing AA, and not wasting his time here complaining. Heck, use Twitter to get their attention. SMH

This is actually true. I think the complaint is perfectly reasonable. Twitter is how you get attention these days. If you post this on Twitter, not only will AA personally fix your issue, they will consider how to fix the problem in the future. Twitter is the #1 way to solve this.

Polot

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Quoting glbltrvlr (Reply 13):
Really? I get a txt from AA saying that my confirmed flight _today_ is now not viable and I should email them to resolve the problem?

If your flight is today why don't you go to the airport and talk to the AA agents there?

aa777lvr

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:29 pm

Quoting polot (Reply 15):
If your flight is today why don't you go to the airport and talk to the AA agents there?

Well, seats are a fluid commodity (especially after IROPS). By the time you get to the airport, your options likely have dried up. Know what makes folks more angry than cancelled/deltayed flights? Getting to the airport only to find out there's no options (after waiting in a seemingly endless queuue) and have to go home.

aa777lvr

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I had my own nightmare experience with AA this morning. Call 1, get in queue - 35 minutes until call back. Call 2 to AA RES, we're too busy for you so call back. Call #3 (placed within 30 seconds of getting hung up on with no option of being called back). Instead of telling it I had an existing reservation I deceived the sytem by asking for new reservation help. Know what?, I was connected with a live RES agent within about 2-3 minutes. Interesting AA. You make folks wait 35 minutes if you already have their money and need help, but you make folks only wait a couple minutes if you think they'll shell out more $ to you. Shameful.

AA777LVR

TVNWZ

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I don't fly AA much, but does it not have mobile/web capability to change flights during irrops? I never call, tweet, Facebook, or stand in line with DL. I always use my iPhone/pad and change on the go. DL gives me the ability to change to any available flight if the connection time gets below the MCT . It literally move you to the head of the line since I am changing while others are still in line.

Does not AA offer this? And if they do, you should just bypass the middle-man. It's a wired world.

Flighty

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 17):
Interesting AA. You make folks wait 35 minutes if you already have their money and need help, but you make folks only wait a couple minutes if you think they'll shell out more $ to you. Shameful.

Totally understand, but they cannot afford to shut down ticket sales. They sell $100m of tickets per day. A significant amount over the telephone.

AA is deadly serious about (1) safety, and (2) making sure the res system never goes down, blocking new sales. (3) might be on time departures and (4) customer experience. Handling IRROPS is maybe 5th priority

AA94

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:44 pm

Use Twitter. Response times are quick.

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 16):
Well, seats are a fluid commodity (especially after IROPS). By the time you get to the airport, your options likely have dried up. Know what makes folks more angry than cancelled/deltayed flights? Getting to the airport only to find out there's no options (after waiting in a seemingly endless queuue) and have to go home.

Fair point, but it's certainly a better option than just complaining, no?

aa777lvr

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 19):
AA is deadly serious about (1) safety, and (2) making sure the res system never goes down, blocking new sales. (3) might be on time departures and (4) customer experience. Handling IRROPS is maybe 5th priority

#1 is paramount (any airline). Maybe if AA moved #4 to #2 (AA getting their priorties in order) then the rest would not be as much of an issue.

Quoting AA94 (Reply 20):
Fair point, but it's certainly a better option than just complaining, no?

Typical AA thinking - "You need us". This has not changed in years when I flew them regularly. You don't get it. Aside from cable/internet companies whose crappy customer service and poor attitude is something most of us have to suck-it-up and deal with.....no we don't. Take your business to a company who wants your business (words and actions). See reply #18.

rtwflyer

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 14):
This is actually true. I think the complaint is perfectly reasonable. Twitter is how you get attention these days. If you post this on Twitter, not only will AA personally fix your issue, they will consider how to fix the problem in the future. Twitter is the #1 way to solve this.

Wow, so good to know. Thanks for the info. I may need it soon.
Longest flight ever: TG 795 LAX-BKK A340-541 (HS-TLC "Phitsanulok", MSN 698) Nov. 2007, takeoff to landing 18hrs 25 min- 7186 nm, 13309 km

FATFlyer

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

Slow news day, where the OP should be emailing AA, and not wasting his time here complaining.

Email AA (or for that matter any company in any industry) for help? That reminded me of this column from the LA Times a few days ago with this quote from an AA spokesperson:

Quote:
Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the airline, told me that keeping such conversations digital allows American "to respond to customers in the most expeditious way possible."

"On average," he said, "American responds directly to the customer within two to three business days."
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20150609-column.html
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:38 pm

Is this thread even worthy? All airlines do this, and it's certaintly not new.

Slow news day, where the OP should be emailing AA, and not wasting his time here complaining. Heck, use Twitter to get their attention. SMH.

And how is the planet neptune at this time of year, sir?

I don't know what world you are living in, but he has a VERY VALID complaint.

And if he doesn't have twitter (Which a good percentage of people don't have) what should he do, get a pigeon to carry the message to Amon Carter Blvd? That would get there attention too.

AA767400

Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:56 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 24):
And if he doesn't have twitter (Which a good percentage of people don't have) what should he do, get a pigeon to carry the message to Amon Carter Blvd? That would get there attention too.

This thread is just a bitch fest, where people can come on, and state their horrible experience with XX airline.

We're in planet 2015. If you don't get with the times, you'll be left behind. That's why the best way to get a hold of a compnay, espeacially an airline, is via Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

The post is factually wrong, becuase AA did not actually say "We're too busy to talk to you". The thread title was meant for an open invitation to bash said airline. Which is anyone's opinion, but belongs under Polls, and Preferences. Why not go to the source? Instead of coming on here with another sob story? This is not AA.com
"The low fares airline."

FlyHossD

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:11 pm

I can't help but wonder how a business would do if they answered the phone on the first ring with a live person. No doubt that doing do would be more expensive, but would the revenue outpace the cost?

This isn't an entirely hypothetical question - it was exactly how my grandfather ran his business and that business outlived his three competitors (not an airline, or course).
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Polot

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 26):
I can't help but wonder how a business would do if they answered the phone on the first ring with a live person. No doubt that doing do would be more expensive, but would the revenue outpace the cost?

That could work for a small business, but a consumer focused business the size of AA? There is no way the revenue would outpace the costs.

jfklganyc

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 26):

TWA always answered with a live person after a few rings. I guess that's your answer sadly.

threeifbyair

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Exact same problem as the OP happend to me in May after my flight was cancelled. Massive IRROPS in the Northeast: PHL, LGA, and DCA were all in bad shape due to weather.

The phone message told me to go online. Online said I had to call. It was a nicely circular loop. Called 3x without getting through. Then I got an email with my auto-rebooked itinerary. I called the number on that email, which was different, and got through to a really good agent who was able to change me to a different itinerary.

I'd never experienced that message before. UA once told me it would be 45 minutes on hold, but at least then I just put my phone on speaker and tried to figure out how to change my flights online while I waited.

ozark1

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 25):
This thread is just a bitch fest, where people can come on, and state their horrible experience with XX airline.We're in planet 2015. If you don't get with the times, you'll be left behind. That's why the best way to get a hold of a compnay, espeacially an airline, is via Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. The post is factually wrong, becuase AA did not actually say "We're too busy to talk to you". The thread title was meant for an open invitation to bash said airline. Which is anyone's opinion, but belongs under Polls, and Preferences. Why not go to the source? Instead of coming on here with another sob story? This is not AA.com

No truer words were ever spoken. Of course they didn't actually say "we don't have time to talk to you", but a good way to start off the kind of thread I can't stand on here. Go ahead, AA haters, slam both of us for our comments, but how about taking the time to understand why, perhaps, it happened. Every airline has had something like this occur, even beloved WN! So, sorry to be so blunt, but get over it.
It is regrettable that there was no way to communicate with the airline and that the connection time was short. Stuff like that happens and I take it upon myself to figure out what I need to do about it. Just curious, did AA tell you a reason when they had the courtesy to text you to inform you of the delay?

Flighty

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:16 pm

Quoting RTWflyer (Reply 22):

Wow, so good to know. Thanks for the info. I may need it soon.

I just learned about it myself, how corporations use Twitter and Social media. Believe it or not, CEOs read it, and use it to learn what is happening on the ground (and what people are saying about them). A PR crisis can flare up in an instant. They love it.

I saw people getting their issues resolved on AA's twitter feed. It was like, whoa.

[Edited 2015-06-16 11:19:10]

glbltrvlr
Topic Author

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:33 pm

I finally did get through to a live agent on the phone. Unfortunately the only alternates had a high probability of my spending the night in a DFW or ORD chair, so I ended up cancelling the flight.

cageyjames

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 31):

There is no better way to get customer satisfaction for an airline than Twitter. Even with my AA status, I resort to twitter because it gets resolved quicker than a phone call or even at the local AC.

A320FlyGuy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:50 pm

AA may be "Something Special In The Air" but they are Something Crappy On The Phone.....
My other car is an A320-200

yhu

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:24 pm

This not only happens with every airline but with every call centre. Call centres only have so many lines in to their system. When you have a major event, like the one Monday at one of AA's main hubs, those lines can fill up because thousands of people are all trying to call them at the same time. Adding lines isn't flicking a switch, it involves contacting the phone system provider and having it set up.

Even if you had gotten through you probably wouldn't have spoken to anyone for hours anyway. In these situations, the online tool is your friend.

This isn't bad customer service, it's just a bad situation with all of those storms on Monday. You could complain by email and maybe get a voucher out of it but in the end it's really no one's fault.

chrisp390

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Quoting A320FlyGuy (Reply 34):

Lol last time I called them up the lady was mumbling, no energy and sounded like she would rather be doing anything but talking to me

mjoelnir

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Quoting yhu (Reply 35):
This isn't bad customer service

It is crappy customer service and call centers designed to cut cost are the reason.

When do you need customer service? When the shit hits the fan.

When already on a normal day, with nothing special happening you need ten minutes to get an representative on line, the problem is very clear: call centers are understaffed and do not have enough lines.

727LOVER

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:07 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 6):

Tropical Storm Bill heading near DFW....that's not helping
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

A320FlyGuy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 pm

I hate to say it, but I think that this is basically a comentary on the world that we live in....costs need to be cut and it's usually the bottom of the corporate hierarchy that sees the cuts. As a result, you have unrealiistic wait times on the phone when you need assistance. I seem to recall a time when you could call the airline to book a flight and the call would be answered within 90 seconds...hell, Eastern Airlines used to assure people that they would have their call answered in about 90 seconds...there was even a television commercial about it. This isn't the exact ad that I was thinking of but it is somewhat relevant...

For me, it's frustrating that even when I am trying to call my company to report an issue or some other operational detail and I spend 20 minutes on hold.

I suppose the worst example is when I witnessed a car accident on the highway...it was a serious 3 car accident with a fire...when I called 911, I was placed on hold for 3 or 4 minutes. It really builds confidence when you have to call 911 to report an accident or a murder in progress and they put you on hold.

mayor

Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Quoting ozark1 (Reply 30):
Every airline has had something like this occur, even beloved WN! So, sorry to be so blunt, but get over it.

When I worked at ORD one of the ticket agents told me about a customer, driving to the airport in a massive snow storm......a 5 hour drive which was normally a 1 hour drive, gets to the airport and can't understand why his flight is cancelled.

Perhaps the OP didn't pay attention to all the nasty weather, outside, yesterday.  
Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 37):

It is crappy customer service and call centers designed to cut cost are the reason.

When do you need customer service? When the shit hits the fan.

When already on a normal day, with nothing special happening you need ten minutes to get an representative on line, the problem is very clear: call centers are understaffed and do not have enough lines.

No, I believe the crappy weather was the reason.......everything snowballs after that.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

flybynight

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:31 pm

This is why I like AS. You pretty much always get through immediately.
Heia Norge!

AA94

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 21):
Typical AA thinking - "You need us". This has not changed in years when I flew them regularly. You don't get it. Aside from cable/internet companies whose crappy customer service and poor attitude is something most of us have to suck-it-up and deal with.....no we don't. Take your business to a company who wants your business (words and actions). See reply #18.

Look, I have no idea what issues you've had with AA in the past, but I can only speak for myself. I just spent the past ten days dealing with them in the air and on the ground, and I really can't think of a specific complaint I have. The folks at the AAdvantage desk were helpful in booking (and modifying) award tickets. The flight attendants were all above average (some I'd consider excellent). The only issue I had was with the Admirals Club staff at LAX, but that could've been a fluke. Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be enough for me to quit them completely.

Let's tone it down a notch.

TVNWZ

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 28):
TWA always answered with a live person after a few rings.

Not during bad weather. It took hours.

Quoting mayor (Reply 40):
Perhaps the OP didn't pay attention to all the nasty weather, outside, yesterday.

And everyone wants thousands of phone agents hanging around doing nothing just waiting for a tropical storm to hit. If they actually did staff for that, everyone here would be complaining about the price of the ticket. Sheesh.

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:30 pm

WTF?

It sucks when you can't get through to a res agent due to WX, IRROPS, or both.

And while I know you're frustrated, it's important to remember what those res agents are going through as well. When things like this occur, AA implements MANDATORY OVERTIME.

It's not a dainty affair where you're required to do an extra 30 minutes; agents already working get 4 to 6 hours added onto their shift for the day. Agents who are off that day are called in and told to work a 12 hour day.

So rest assured, there aren't people sitting around lazily determining whether or not they'll take your call, and as much as your day might suck because of what's occurring, I guarantee you that their sucks more.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

A320FlyGuy

Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 44):
It sucks when you can't get through to a res agent due to WX, IRROPS, or both.

And while I know you're frustrated, it's important to remember what those res agents are going through as well. When things like this occur, AA implements MANDATORY OVERTIME.

It's not a dainty affair where you're required to do an extra 30 minutes; agents already working get 4 to 6 hours added onto their shift for the day. Agents who are off that day are called in and told to work a 12 hour day.

So rest assured, there aren't people sitting around lazily determining whether or not they'll take your call, and as much as your day might suck because of what's occurring, I guarantee you that their sucks more.

It's also a job that they are getting paid for...nobody is paying the passenger for all the lost time spent waiting for AA to answer their phone. And I don't think that AA will be compensating anyone for lost time due to a missed flight or connection.

EA CO AS

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 am

Quoting A320FlyGuy (Reply 45):
It's also a job that they are getting paid for...

True. And again I never said it doesn't suck for passengers when they can't get through. I'm just trying to point out the need to keep things in perspective when these situations occur.

Trust me, when you've waited for an hour to talk to an agent, the last thing they want or need is to spend the first ten minutes of your conversation answering questions like, "Do you know how long I was on hold?" and "Why did I have to wait so long?"
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:53 am

Whenever a major weather event takes down a mega hub or major portion of the country, regardless of the airline, the phone operators become overloaded and its impossible to speak to a live agent.

You have to be proactive, take matters into your own hand, use technology, or at the airport proactively make a suggestion as to what you want to do to fix the issue.

Whether you like it or not thousands of others are in the same situation and you are just one of many at that point.

If those cases, if you need a phone call and its not urgent, wait until like 1am and you will get through much faster.

Viscount724

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:59 am

After entering my reservation number, I get a recording stating in effect: We're too busy to talk to you, call back later.

I would much rather get a message like that than be put on hold and advised that your call "will be handled by the next available agent", with no indication whether you're going to be on hold for 5 minutes or 45 minutes. Once the wait time gets beyond a certain point I would rather be frankly told that, rather than wasting my time on hold, it's better to call back later.

Continental

Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:38 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 11):
I can understand the situation. With all the severe weather in Chicago the past couple of days, reservations are a mess. This does happen to all airlines. I just use the mobile app. But I am DM on DL and have no idea if AA will let you change misconnects on their app.

I'm Joe Schmo status on DL and this works for me too. Flight very delayed at SEA going to SLC then MSP. Checked my app, and I rebooked immediately for the direct AS flight home. I avoided the massive line at the gate!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos