Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

Spirit Operational Problems?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57 pm

There are some articles, tweets, etc saying NK is experiencing labor issues today and this whole week. Apparently NK has said it is weather-related. Thoughts?

http://www.fox5vegas.com/story/29334...ing-spirit-passengers-in-las-vegas

enilria
Topic Author

RE: Spirit Operational Problems?

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Boeing717200

Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:33 pm

American:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/travelAlerts.jsp

United:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...aspx?v_ctrk=HHLN$0-772-2045-1-1156

Delta:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...dvisories/tropical-storm-bill.html

Southwest:

https://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory_20155151434409053401.html

For Spirit it sounds like crew rest issues related to the above.

[Edited 2015-06-17 11:35:10]
240 years and the top two candidates are named Dumb and Dumber. Stay classy!

nkops

Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:33 am

It has been going on longer than one week, there have been crew issues for about 3 weeks now, though I am not sure what is causing the problem.
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

dfwagt

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:25 am

Yesterday and today we got a lot of pax that were to be on NK out of DFW. One story I heard from a pax that was headed to MCO or TPA, can't really recall the destination was that the pilots got into an argument and the Captain walked off the flt. Not sure how true, but a first for me!

cfichad

Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 pm

I have been out of the Spirit loop for a couple of years, are the pilots renegotiating for a new contract?
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:02 pm

Quoting dfwagt (Reply 4):
Yesterday and today we got a lot of pax that were to be on NK out of DFW. One story I heard from a pax that was headed to MCO or TPA, can't really recall the destination was that the pilots got into an argument and the Captain walked off the flt. Not sure how true, but a first for me!
Quoting cfichad (Reply 5):

I have been out of the Spirit loop for a couple of years, are the pilots renegotiating for a new contract?

I think they have a fairly recent contract.

There is clearly not a strike of any sort or it would be known. I wonder if the pilots are upset about something and are more aggressively following the contract than is typical? A "slow-down" perhaps?

The other possibility is they are just understaffed on pilots because of all the growth. Hard to say which from outside, although I'm sure staffing level is definitely a legitimate part of it as hiring pilots these days is not easy. I'm assuming they are on a calendar crew month (or close to it), so they should not be out of reserves in the middle of the month.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:36 pm

Apparently, it's the Flight Attendants that are in short supply. They have been in contract negotiations for eight years. I'm hearing there have been weather issues and increased sick calls leading to widespread cancellations ~
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

32andBelow

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 6):
The other possibility is they are just understaffed on pilots because of all the growth. Hard to say which from outside, although I'm sure staffing level is definitely a legitimate part of it as hiring pilots these days is not easy. I'm assuming they are on a calendar crew month (or close to it), so they should not be out of reserves in the middle of the month.

All the flight and duty is revolving now so calendar does not mean anything.

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 am

Here's another article on whether there is a pilot work action at NK. Denied by NK. Something is up somewhere. It's weather aggravating another problem.

http://consumerist.com/2015/06/18/ar...omers-say-yes-airline-remains-mum/

tb727

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 9):
Here's another article on whether there is a pilot work action at NK. Denied by NK. Something is up somewhere. It's weather aggravating another problem.

That article is straight up BS.

Just another example of how the sensationalist media thinks they know everything. It was literally the perfect storm and it really sucks to see the domino effect.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

enilria
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:11 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 10):
Just another example of how the sensationalist media thinks they know everything. It was literally the perfect storm and it really sucks to see the domino effect.

Yes, but something is up. They are short of crew I suspect.

wjcandee

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 am

Is there a labor action at Delta?

I experienced a delay of an hour yesterday, and the guy cleaning the gate area said that there have been a lot of Delta delays of up to a whole hour, and that he saw a crew get off a plane looking pissed-off. I think there may be a secret labor action across all trades at Delta, based on an article that I read in Consumerist.

butthead 

[Edited 2015-06-18 21:37:55]

n7371f

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:38 am

Just the latest example to avoid Spirit at all costs, period. Now the Ryanair has finally figured out it pays to be human, Air Baldanza might be the worst out there.

AWACSooner

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:05 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 13):

Just the latest example to avoid Spirit at all costs, period. Now the Ryanair has finally figured out it pays to be human, Air Baldanza might be the worst out there.

At least FR doesn't charge for carry-ons...and now even has family-friendly policies.

cfichad

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Air Baldanza aka Spirit is heartless. I lost my mother two weeks ago and had to get to Atlanta for her funeral so I bought a ticket on Spirit. I wanted to stay an extra day to tie up the loose ends with the estate, when I called Spirit they told me it would be 650.00 including change fees and fare differences. I usually fly on Delta and have Medallion status, I ended up buying a ticket on Delta to come home after Spirit was so uncooperative in the situation I was in.

If you look at Spirit, their base fare might be cheaper than others but once you add in a bag fee for a carry on or a checked bag and you are behind the eight ball and the ticket is more than on a Delta, United, or America. It is a marketing gimmick at best, their fares aren't lower, they are higher when you put all accesorial charges together.
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos