Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EK413
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread Part 123

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 am

Hi All,

The previous discussion was ticking over to 200 response's & extremely slow to load for users so Part 123 has been created to continue the conversation.

The previous thread can be found here: Australian Aviation Thread Part 122 (by EK413 Jun 2 2015 in Civil Aviation)

# Talk of AC, QF & the 787, what we can expect to see in International services to/from Australia in the next 5 years.
# Qantas Airways Ltd. is on the verge of winning back the investment-grade credit status it lost in 2013.
# Cobham B717 operates BNE-CFS-BNE route proving flights
# ACCC green lights extension VA/DL trans pacific alliance http://australianaviation.com.au/201...alia-delta-trans-pacific-alliance/
# QF on-time performance at LHR http://flightaware.com/live/flight_event_history.rvt?ident=QFA9
# CZ to remove 1st Class from BNE services 2nd of July with current 3 class A332 to be replaced with a 2 class A333. http://www.ausbt.com.au/china-southe...lass-on-brisbane-guangzhou-flights
# Virgin Australia announces that it will increase services on Brisbane - Honiara from 22nd of June 2015 from 2 x to 3 x weekly with the introduction of a new Monday service. Flights will continue to be operated by 737-800 aircraft.
# JetGo announces that it will commence flights from Brisbane to Dubbo from 20th of July 2015 using its ERJ-135 aircraft. Flights will operate 3 x weekly on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. JetGo's second destination from Brisbane, with the airline already operating flights to Tamworth. Source - ABC Western Plains
# Qantas and 777 mentioned in the same sentence... http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-flags...=flipper&utm_campaign=home-flipper
# QF return to investment grade credit rating can be achieved with any potential 787-9 order http://australianaviation.com.au/201...ed-with-any-potential-787-9-order/
# Melbourne based A330 pilot who is also an artist paints a retro roo in an outback setting with prints to go on sale at a Brisbane event on August 5. Money raised will help drought stricken farmers. http://australianaviation.com.au/201...ro-roo-to-raise-money-for-farmers/
# Air Asia X highlights upcoming / to be confirmed destinations for its Indonesian and Thai franchises:
Indonesia Air Asia X - IAAX
- Brisbane (new port for Air Asia group)
- Sydney
Thai Air Asia X - TAAX
- Melbourne
Source - Air Asia X
# Vietnam Airlines reportedly planning to start flights to Brisbane and Perth: Source - TRweekly
# QF/AA Announce Joint Service Agreement
- AA will operate LAX-SYD daily 77W from 17 December 2015
- QF will go from 2 daily flights (1x A380 and 1 x 744) to go to daily A380 and 3 weekly 744
- QF to recommence SFO - 6 weekly 744 from 20 December 2015 & DFW services said to be doing extremely well
# 16 year old student pilot, on only their fourth solo flight, makes a force landing near Jindabyne after fog and low light prevented a landing http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/...ear-jindabyne-20150610-ghl53k.html
# AA/QF discussions of commencing AKL-LAX
# MH A380 brief appearance on KUL-SYD route during the 29th of May to 8th of June http://airlineroute.net/2015/05/28/mh-syd-may15/
# MH148 "MAYDAY" on take off from MEL with reported engine fire returns safely to MEL http://flightaware.com/live/flight/M...8/history/20150612/0405Z/YMML/WMKK
# QF & tight International fleet schedule
# QF VH-OJI to be retired end of June dropping the B744 fleet to 11.
# On going debates of EK possible AKL-LAX service
# Badgerys Creek residents to be evicted in order to build Badgery Creek Airport. http://www.news.com.au/national/badg...looms/story-e6frfkp9-1227399036446
# Future of QF Link Dash -200/-300 fleet: http://centreforaviation.com/news/qa...er-of-towns-without-service-347048
# NZ to offer Premium Economy on Trans Tasman routes from October along with Bali and pacific island routes
http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-tasman-pacific-bali-from-october/
http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zeal...aunch-trans-tasman-premium-economy
# China Airlines to operate 747-400 on its Taipei-Brisbane-Auckland route from early December 2015 through to late February 2016. Services will also increase to 4x weekly, up from the current 3x weekly (operated by A330-300s) Source - Airline Route
# United Airlines reportedly closes its Melbourne Lounge Flyertalk United Airlines
# QF behind the scenes http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/06/...o-film-qantas-ob-doc-for-nine.html
# JQ announce OOL as the first of 2 new destinations from AVV. JQ will fly the route daily http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...rport/story-fnjuhovy-1227402852958
# 5 x Eastern Australia Airlines' Dash 8-300s heading over to New Zealand to operate regional services on behalf of Jetstar - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...3&objectid=11467277&ref=nzhbiz_tw.
# Qantas credit outlook upgraded "Moody’s affirmed the airline’s Ba1 corporate family rating and Ba2 senior unsecured rating." http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...raded/story-e6frg906-1227403798282

Enjoy the journey!

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

QF175

RE: Australian Aviation Thread Part 123

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:17 am

Thanks for the summary EK413

- EVA Air will once again increase Brisbane to 3x weekly (up from 2x weekly) over the Christmas and New Year period. The airline will operate an extra service ex-Taipei on Wednesdays from 09DEC15 to 28JAN16. All flights will be operated by A330-200s

- Jetstar today announced that it will suspend its Gold Coast - Mackay flights from September. Passenger numbers on the Brisbane to Mackay route have been declining of late (attributed to mining) so it comes as no surprise that the Gold Coast flights were not performing to expectations:

Source - Daily Mercury

EK413
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:21 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):

Your welcome my countryman  

Forća Portugal

EK413

Sydscott

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Reply to the other thread:

QF2220 - What can be done to Bolster Asia?

There are a few things that have been announced in Asia / kicked in this year so far:

- GK are flying NRT / KIX - HKG
- QF will commence BNE-NRT and SYD-HND
- J/V with China Eastern announced.
- Jetstar Asia and Jetstar Pacific are making profits.

I don't think we'll see anything substantial announced for Asia until after the ACCC approves the China Eastern J/V. Once that is locked in we'll start to see some movement.

777ER - Its hardly ticked off since it will only be for destinations with the highest possible money chances. Hope the Q300 fleet grows to 10+ with some Q400s in the mix, then it can be said regional is ticked off with more destination.

NZ will always be the major regional player for New Zealand. Realistically all the 5 Q300's gives JQ a chance to connect more people over the larger Secondary one's in order to build its market presence. I don't think JQ is going to be interested in doing much more than that although I'd not be surprised to see a couple more allocated if more Q400's are ordered for Australia. The prop fleet also makes QF / JQ / EK / potential AA connections more competitive for International flyers into and out of New Zealand.

qf2220

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 3):
What can be done to Bolster Asia?

Its a fair question for you to ask, but I admit, I dont have the answers (otherwise Id be working in QF strategy/route planning). The other thing I dont have is data to really make an educated comment (which I would have if I was in QF strategy/route planning!). Take it as read that I disclaim any of the below subject to data.

Some of the things I had thought should be done have been done (eg codeshare with Bangkok Airways), but others, (like reconnecting PER to more of Asia again) have not, and if done, have been done on a light basis (PER-SIN on a 738, and the Bankgok Airways codeshare could be wider). Other things, like taking advantage of the Malaysian situation to its full extent and use that carrier to create an Asian sub-hub with many, many codeshares through KUL, are just in the too risky basket and the Board (rightly so) would not endorse it, let alone the questions of wether governments and the public would allow QF to go there.

I suspect that the current fleet and still comparatively high cost base (compared to Asian carriers) remain the key blockers to this. Geography as well is always going to be a problem, necessitating smaller aircraft to serve the 5 main ports and a higher degree of difficulty in achieving volume efficiency. With no Perhaps the 789s will allow some routes to be opened again, especially into China. PVG just seems to be underserved on QF, and MEL/BNE/PER/ADL lack QF connections and are expected to route through SYD. This just limits QF's appeal. Also, the China Eastern and China Southern codeshares to me are not in the EK league, with a definite perception of product inferiority seen by the majority of Australian origin pax.

I guess at this stage, a lot of options just dont make financial sense, which is where im interested to see where QF takes Asia once it gets a few more things sorted out.

Sydscott

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:08 am

Quoting Qf2220 (Reply 4):
This just limits QF's appeal. Also, the China Eastern and China Southern codeshares to me are not in the EK league, with a definite perception of product inferiority seen by the majority of Australian origin pax.

I guess at this stage, a lot of options just dont make financial sense, which is where im interested to see where QF takes Asia once it gets a few more things sorted out.

I somewhat agree in terms of the Chinese Carriers and the perception of them. I think that will change over time and certainly the Chinese Airlines are learning alot from the Partners they have. (Air China from CX and China Eastern / China Southern from Delta and Qantas)

I think the QF strategy has been pretty clear into Asia in that:

- you have mainline service from SYD/MEL/BNE into SIN & HKG;
- you have other cities served out of a hub structure in SYD - CGK/MNL/PVG/BKK/NRT;
- you have JQ on leisure routes where there is less arguable less premium demand;
- you have a vastly increased network of codeshares as a virtual network.

It's the last point that QF / JQ have really been focused on over the past couple of years and I think they've done a pretty good in terms of filling in some gaps in the network. Like you I think it'll be interesting to see what they do next because there are probably a couple of Jetstar 788 routes which could support mainline but I think QF might have their eyes set firmly on some longer haul stuff if the 789 order eventuates. (ie connecting some more dots into DXB or more US service)

bbbb

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:23 am

Other things, like taking advantage of the Malaysian situation to its full extent and use that carrier to create an Asian sub-hub with many, many codeshares through KUL, are just in the too risky basket and the Board (rightly so) would not endorse it, let alone the questions of wether governments and the public would allow QF to go there.

Why would this be risky? The QF/MH relationship is a bit strained after the RedQ proposal, but the lack of movement with MH is much more to do with issues at the latter – the carrier has been perpetually restructuring, albeit the most recent shows potential for success. That said, they are – at the moment – in no position to start building a strategic hub with a partner. Once that’s complete, I would expect QF would be interested – and likely would – develop a closer relationship. I have no idea what you mean by the board not endorsing it given QF sponsored MH into oneworld, nor why the government or public would have any say/objection though.

I suspect that the current fleet and still comparatively high cost base (compared to Asian carriers) remain the key blockers to this.

Qantas International’s cost base is now comparable to its “Asian competitors” (their words, not mine). Southeast Asia, while readjusting at the moment, is still a saturated capacity market. To paraphrase the words of another poster in a previous thread, Qantas didn’t just go through a painful restructuring to lose it all in a risky expansion. Their focus right now is into hub markets where they can connect to strong partners. I agree that those partners are currently lacking though.

PVG just seems to be underserved on QF, and MEL/BNE/PER/ADL lack QF connections and are expected to route through SYD. This just limits QF's appeal. Also, the China Eastern and China Southern codeshares to me are not in the EK league, with a definite perception of product inferiority seen by the majority of Australian origin pax.

That’s what the China Eastern deal is meant to achieve; and their recent ACCC submission notes expansion from China Eastern into several Australian markets if approved. Qantas also has a deeper relationship including operational development with China Eastern, and I expect that while they’re not a premium carrier yet, they will be in the future.

TruemanQLD

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:34 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):
- Jetstar today announced that it will suspend its Gold Coast - Mackay flights from September. Passenger numbers on the Brisbane to Mackay route have been declining of late (attributed to mining) so it comes as no surprise that the Gold Coast flights were not performing to expectations:

Sad but not surprising. Was launched daily, quickly dropped to 5x weekly and fares were always very cheap. Anyone know how OOL-PER is going for them?

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):
- EVA Air will once again increase Brisbane to 3x weekly (up from 2x weekly) over the Christmas and New Year period. The airline will operate an extra service ex-Taipei on Wednesdays from 09DEC15 to 28JAN16. All flights will be operated by A330-200s

Good news, glad to see EVA's strange little operation in Australia is continuing  

qf789

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:24 am

If anyone's interested QF load factors to DFW for April were an average of 74.13% the third highest of the international carries serving DFW. Outbound from SYD an average load factor of 81.91% and inbound to SYD an average of 66.36%.

I would imagine QF would be happy with how the route in performing.

http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.ph...d=03a7951875f4ef9a2c9776cbf8a7da8d
Forum Moderator

qf002

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:35 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 8):

The figures on that site have been wildly inaccurate in past months. They miscalculate the available seats figures and fail to take into consideration payload restrictions, and often their passenger numbers differ quite considerably to those provided in the BITRE numbers (which are the ones that I trust).

sealand

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:24 am

Quoting bbbb (Reply 6):
Why would this be risky? The QF/MH relationship is a bit strained after the RedQ proposal, but the lack of movement with MH is much more to do with issues at the latter – the carrier has been perpetually restructuring, albeit the most recent shows potential for success. That said, they are – at the moment – in no position to start building a strategic hub with a partner. Once that’s complete, I would expect QF would be interested – and likely would – develop a closer relationship. I have no idea what you mean by the board not endorsing it given QF sponsored MH into oneworld, nor why the government or public would have any say/objection though.

Actually QF already has an airline to take advantage of Asia routes, which is 3K. Considering that 3K has so many codeshare and interline partners EK/QF/AY/UL just to name a few, I feel QF should develop 3K into a hybrid carrier and offer a business cabin to take advantage of it. That would be quite close to their RedQ proposal.

qfvhoqa

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:46 am

Quoting QF175 (Reply 1):

Odd that they are ending the third frequency before Chinese New Year (in 2016 it will be February 8).

I suspect that the current fleet and still comparatively high cost base (compared to Asian carriers) remain the key blockers to this

I think this is made out to be a bigger problem than it is. With the AUD decreasing in value, QF's labour costs have come down compared to currencies linked to the USD (RMB & HKD). And SIN is no longer the cheap city it was in the 80s. Salaries at SQ can't be much lower than those at QF now.

Quoting bbbb (Reply 6):
Qantas also has a deeper relationship including operational development with China Eastern, and I expect that while they’re not a premium carrier yet, they will be in the future.

MU has the right base to be a premium carrier. PVG should have large demand from the finance industry, who typically fly premium cabins. It is much harder for CZ to fill their premium cabins from CAN.

Quoting sealand (Reply 10):
I feel QF should develop 3K into a hybrid carrier and offer a business cabin to take advantage of it

They could take some pointers from FZ who have introduced a J cabin (their J seat is actually roomier than the QF 738 J seat). Or perhaps 3K could adopt the 3-2 seating that JL uses in "Class J".

qf2220

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:59 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 8):
Outbound from SYD an average load factor of 81.91% and inbound to SYD an average of 66.36%.

Regardless of the accuracy, the variance between these two figures just shows how much LAX is the preferred return airport for US pax.

Quoting sealand (Reply 10):

I think that has been mooted before (and discussed here too perhaps). Commercially they're not sure of the return, but IIRC there is some regulatory or labour reason why not. Probably the QF/JQ pilots pay union issue but happy to be corrected.

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 5):

- you have mainline service from SYD/MEL/BNE into SIN & HKG;
- you have other cities served out of a hub structure in SYD - CGK/MNL/PVG/BKK/NRT;
- you have JQ on leisure routes where there is less arguable less premium demand;
- you have a vastly increased network of codeshares as a virtual network.

Ok.

1. Yep, thats ok for those ports.

2. Which serves ADL, PER and BNE very poorly, and most other ports just as bad. Which in turn provides a natural advantage to the home carriers, eg GA, CX, SQ, etc who can cater one stop back to their base. QF needs smaller aircraft to fill a narrow demand of those pax who want to fly QF/Australian and be able to operate these routes viably. 788s possibly, but even those might have issues with filling up sustainably. Lower costs than Asian hub carriers would also be a help here to lower the risk of making losses on a route. Im thinking especially of PER and ADL here.

3. Im just not sure that the two brand strategy is fully deployed in Asia. Theyve had more of a go at it lately but Thailand for example isnt served all that well on JQ, and being one of the larger tourist markets id think more service could work there. Again, fleet might be the issue.

4. These are great if they do well. EK has been pretty great for QF and is the European solution for now, but there is nothing in Asia that comes close. As everyone loves SIN, SQ would be a great partner, but we know that aint happening. As ive said, MH might do a half decent job here, especially in southern Asia. MU maybe also for a northern Asia partner ex PVG but its yet to get off the ground let alone prove itself.

Id love to see PDEW figures for Australian ports (say SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, BNE) to Asia to check off where QF flies to see where there are potential gaps.

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 5):
Jetstar 788 routes which could support mainline

Which ones are you thinking?

Quoting bbbb (Reply 6):
Why would this be risky?

All sorts of reasons. QF is/has been not in the best shape for a little while now and focusing on internal reform, MH, well we know why that poses risks. It might be more open to something now that a wall has been hit., but still there are risks of Malaysian government meddling and interference which QF wouldn't want.

Quoting qfvhoqa (Reply 11):
I think this is made out to be a bigger problem than it is.

I disagree. Refer to 2 above, lower costs would go further to counter the natural advantage held by Asian carriers at their own hubs. How this is done with Australian labour, good question. Also, the AUD is pretty unpredictable at the moment, i wouldnt be leaving it up to the AUD to get me cost savings. Plus, is it down compared to the USD, or Asian currencies?

Quoting bbbb (Reply 6):
Qantas International’s cost base is now comparable to its “Asian competitors”

Comparable doesnt mean equal to or lower than (and in my view this wording implies still greater than). Also which are the Asian competitors. Can you point me to this comment so I can read more?

Quoting bbbb (Reply 6):
have no idea what you mean by the board not endorsing it given QF sponsored MH into oneworld, nor why the government or public would have any say/objection though.

Massive difference there. Sponsoring MH into oneworld is tiny compared to a strategic tieup with a weakened carrier on an EK scale. This board i feel will be far more risk conscious than it has been in the past. When I say if the public let it go there, I'm thinking more of public perception and if they will fly with MH given the tragedies it has suffered. Re government, Malaysia and Australia are ok but not the most close of Asian governments and who knows what sort of things could pop up in that part of the journey.

[Edited 2015-06-19 05:03:09]

EK413
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Quoting qf789 (Reply 8):

If anyone's interested QF load factors to DFW for April were an average of 74.13% the third highest of the international carries serving DFW. Outbound from SYD an average load factor of 81.91% and inbound to SYD an average of 66.36%.

I would imagine QF would be happy with how the route in performing.

http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.ph...7da8d

Well AJ has made it clear DFW is performing very well. Based on this alone (already discussed in various threads) wouldn't surprise me if QF increase frequency once B787's come online.

EK413

TN486

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:33 pm

If you want have a look at an artists rendition of a JQ Q300, could I suggest you go to the Newspage on the JQ website. I am unable to cut and paste here!!
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back

UKtoOzFlyer

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Quoting EK413 (Thread starter):
QF VH-OJI to be retired end of June dropping the B744 fleet to 11.

Looks like she might have now been withdrawn. Has not flown since arriving into SYD ex NRT on the 15th. Not a bird I will be sad to see leave the fleet.

I flew her last ex LAX to SYD on a A380 sub rotation on QF12, and she was seriously showing here age. And the SkyBed I seats are certainly a poor alternative in J.

TruemanQLD

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Quoting http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-marks-two-years-and-100000-visitors-to-rejuvenated-uluru/:

Jetstar is today celebrating its second anniversary of connecting travellers to one of Australia’s most iconic destinations, Uluru.

In just two years Jetstar has flown 100,000 passengers to Ayers Rock Airport from Sydney and Melbourne to take in the grandeur of Uluru. Jetstar launched direct services to Uluru from Sydney on 4 June 2013, and commenced direct flights from Melbourne on 29 June 2014.

The milestone comes as a federal government report released this week named Ayers Rock as the fastest growing regional airport. Total passenger movements through Ayers Rock Airport were up by almost 25 per cent in the year ended March 2015.

Jetstar estimates its domestic passengers and international visitors on connecting flights have generated around $75 million for the Uluru tourism industry in the last two years.

Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall lists Uluru among his favourite destinations and is proud to be enabling more visitors to journey into the outback.

“With our low fares we’ve made the heart of Australia more accessible than ever for those who have always dreamed of experiencing majestic Uluru,” Mr Hall said.

“Just last year we became the first low fares airline to fly direct to Ayers Rock Airport from Melbourne and we’ve already flown around 25,000 adventure-seekers from there.

“Since we started flying to Uluru we’ve almost tripled the number of seats we offer across the two routes. We now fly there every day from Sydney, and four times a week from Melbourne.

I know this is a 'puff' piece, but given it does seem to be going well for JQ, could we see further expansion from BNE-AYE? It could operate the other 3 days that MEL doesn't and would compliment the service well and serve the tourist market from BNE/OOL.

EK413
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Quoting UKtoOzFlyer (Reply 15):

Quoting EK413 (Thread starter):
QF VH-OJI to be retired end of June dropping the B744 fleet to 11.

Looks like she might have now been withdrawn. Has not flown since arriving into SYD ex NRT on the 15th. Not a bird I will be sad to see leave the fleet.

I flew her last ex LAX to SYD on a A380 sub rotation on QF12, and she was seriously showing here age. And the SkyBed I seats are certainly a poor alternative in J.

Thanks for the update on -OJI. If my memory serves me well I remember flying --OJC on a JFK-LAX leg back in 2012 & I must say her J/C cabin wasn't flashy either & wouldn't want to have flown in her Y/C cabin as I heard some stories it wasn't up to par with the old IFE.
In regards to -OJI I believe the aircraft is due for a heavy maintenance check, that's why aircraft needs to be positioned to her new home by the end of the month.

EK413

EK413
Topic Author

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 pm

Qantas seasonal Vancouver services recommence today with -OEJ operating QF0075. Can't wait to see QF permanently on the route  

EK413

bbbb

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:16 am

Quoting Qf2220 (Reply 12):
All sorts of reasons. QF is/has been not in the best shape for a little while now and focusing on internal reform, MH, well we know why that poses risks. It might be more open to something now that a wall has been hit., but still there are risks of Malaysian government meddling and interference which QF wouldn't want.

QF hasn't, but is getting better - hence the transformation. MH definitely poses risks, but the point being they're on a transformation track much more intensive than Qantas' has and we've all seen how they have recovered. It appears they finally have a CEO in charge who is willing and able to cut deeply to make the business competitive again; if that is ultimately achievable and survives the long-term remains to be seen. I digress though, this is the Australian Aviation thread after all.

Comparable doesnt mean equal to or lower than (and in my view this wording implies still greater than). Also which are the Asian competitors. Can you point me to this comment so I can read more?

I didn't suggest it was; the definition being "able to be likened to." The point was that the cost base is coming down, and it's no longer the achilles heel for Qantas that it has been in the past. I haven't seen the comment picked up anywhere else than CAPA, which is behind a paywall: http://centreforaviation.com/news/qa...roaching-asian-competitors--444917

But to paraphrase, Gareth Evans said QFI has reduced its non-fuel unit costs by 15% net of CPI, "and we're not even halfway through the transformation." He then said QFI is approaching the cost base of its key Asian competitors. I was also at the investor day when the comment was made, I don't recall him adding much more to that.

Massive difference there. Sponsoring MH into oneworld is tiny compared to a strategic tieup with a weakened carrier on an EK scale. This board i feel will be far more risk conscious than it has been in the past. When I say if the public let it go there, I'm thinking more of public perception and if they will fly with MH given the tragedies it has suffered. Re government, Malaysia and Australia are ok but not the most close of Asian governments and who knows what sort of things could pop up in that part of the journey.

We're really getting deep into hypotheticals here and rather off-topic for the thread; but it is a massive difference - the point was to illustrate that QF has no opposition to working strategically with MH. Re public and government, it's being overplayed. The public don't care (many see MH the victim of bad luck) and the government has no say in it other than the ACCC's approval. To clarify, I'm not proposing a QF/MH tie-up nor has it entered my mind as a possibility but there's bigger and much more valid forces at play than those you've raised.

TruemanQLD

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:32 am

Just saw a photo of the new TZ 787-8... any idea how these will be operated to Australia? I would assume they will rotate them very freely to match demand, 788 one day and 789 the next. Anyone know the actual plan?

EK413
Topic Author

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:39 am

Quoting truemanqld (Reply 20):

Just saw a photo of the new TZ 787-8... any idea how these will be operated to Australia? I would assume they will rotate them very freely to match demand, 788 one day and 789 the next. Anyone know the actual plan?

I raised the question in another discussion forum & received the following details;

Effective 01AUG15

Singapore – Tianjin

Effective 02AUG15

Singapore – Qingdao – Shenyang

Effective 05AUG15

Singapore – Qingdao

Effective 01NOV15

Singapore – Melbourne

Source: airlineroute.net

EK413

qf789

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Busselton Airport (BQB) will have an $59.7 million upgrade including lengthening and widening the runway, upgrading the terminal, improved facilities and a bigger carpark. Work will begin in 2017 and be completed by mid 2018. They are aiming for interstate flights from SYD & MEL initially. Airport to be renamed with something related to Margaret River in it.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...-west/story-fnhocxo3-1227407563590

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...n-airport-wa-after-upgrade/6560830
Forum Moderator

sunrisevalley

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:51 pm

Id love to see PDEW figures for Australian ports

Please refresh my memory; what does PDEW stand for? BITRE probably has what you are looking for but not necessarily on a per carrier basis.

QF175

Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:16 am

Quoting sunrisevalley (Reply 23):
Please refresh my memory; what does PDEW stand for? BITRE probably has what you are looking for but not necessarily on a per carrier basis.

Passengers...

Per day each way (PDEW)

Cheers

IndianicWorld

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:00 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 22):
They are aiming for interstate flights from SYD & MEL initially. Airport to be renamed with something related to Margaret River in it.

Great move. Perfect for JQ or TT flights.

ben175

Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:33 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 22):
Busselton Airport (BQB) will have an $59.7 million upgrade including lengthening and widening the runway, upgrading the terminal, improved facilities and a bigger carpark. Work will begin in 2017 and be completed by mid 2018. They are aiming for interstate flights from SYD & MEL initially. Airport to be renamed with something related to Margaret River in it.

This is fantastic news! South-western WA is honestly one of the most beautiful places in the entire world. Dunsborough, Margaret River, Eagle Bay, Gracetown, Augusta etc are absolutely beautiful.

With a big tourism campaign, I could see JQ flying MEL-BQB 2-3 times weekly, perhaps seasonally.

joffie

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:12 am

SQ228 looks like it is operated by an A380. I know SQ has flown the 388 into MEL in the past but I thought it was pulled? Has it come back, or is this a once off? Looks like it has resumed from 19/6. AUSBT said its coming back on September 1 so looks like SQ reintroduced it a couple of months early? SQ222 looks like it got the A380 back.

qf789

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:30 am

Quoting joffie (Reply 27):
SQ228 looks like it is operated by an A380. I know SQ has flown the 388 into MEL in the past but I thought it was pulled? Has it come back, or is this a once off? Looks like it has resumed from 19/6. AUSBT said its coming back on September 1 so looks like SQ reintroduced it a couple of months early? SQ222 looks like it got the A380 back.

The A380 is being run on the MEL-SIN from 19th of June to 20th July. Probably to cover increase in demand with school holidays coming up.
Forum Moderator

DJMEL

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:53 am

Quoting joffie (Reply 27):
Quoting qf789 (Reply 28):
The A380 is being run on the MEL-SIN from 19th of June to 20th July. Probably to cover increase in demand with school holidays coming up.

Yes it is back - for the busy school holiday period, 9V-SKI operated the first service back to MEL, she looked amazing in her 50th Birthday Livery!!

CupraIbiza

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi All
need some help identifying a plane. I saw it approaching to land at Tullamarine around 0842 this morning from work in Keilor Park.
It had a red and white tail fin with what looked like a bird pattern
looked similar to this lego one

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lego-Red-Aero...efaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4b3d4786

I've tried looking at Melbourne Airport website to no avail.

thanks in advance.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

tullamarine

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:59 pm

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 30):
Hi All
need some help identifying a plane. I saw it approaching to land at Tullamarine around 0842 this morning from work in Keilor Park.

Sounds like China Eastern with their new very dull livery.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

CupraIbiza

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:30 am

Quoting tullamarine (Reply 31):

Hi All

Thanks Tullamarine. Thats white tail with red markings though yeah?

Pretty sure this was a red tail with a white bird like logo

TruemanQLD

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 am

Quoting CupraIbiza (Reply 32):
hanks Tullamarine. Thats white tail with red markings though yeah?

Pretty sure this was a red tail with a white bird like logo

Shanghai Airlines - subsidy of MU and they use their A330's into Melbourne frequently (well used to be when I was down that way, not sure how often they use them now)

vhqpa

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 am

Hi All

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lego-Red-Aero...efaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4b3d4786

I've tried looking at Melbourne Airport website to no avail.

thanks in advance.
Quoting tullamarine (Reply 31):

Flightradar 24 confirms it was MU737. However it was B-5931 in Shanghai Airlines colours.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Helmut Schnichels

>
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

CupraIbiza

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:20 am

Yep that was it.
Thank you all. I knew you guys could help.
I can rest easy now

kaichinshih

Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:26 am

According to John Eren, Minister for Tourism of Victoria, at the Australia Tourism Exchange
China Airlines will be launching direct TPE - MEL flights in late-2015
This will be the 5th destination of CI in Oceania, after SYD, BNE, AKL and CHC (Scheduled Seasonal)

SYDSpotter

Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:40 am

A couple of tidbits on VA today:

VA loses Toll cargo contract to QF:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/aviat...ings-contract-20150622-ghu7yk.html

VA unveils new Premium economy seats:

http://www.ausbt.com.au/revealed-vir...-new-premium-economy-seats-service
319_320_321_332_333_359_388 / 734_737_738_743_744_762_763_772_773_77W_788_789

dash8

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 am

Hi all, I havent posted before on the Australian Aviation forum.

I have done a quick search, but could anybody tell me when Qantas is ever going to finish painting the remainder of the fleet of the new (well now old) livery. It seems to have been a really drawn out process so keen to find out some more info.

kaichinshih

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:49 am

Quoting kaichinshih (Reply 36):

Update (yet-to-be-made-public info)
TPE - MEL a regularly scheduled flight, in other words the route will not be a seasonal one
Furthermore, service will be extended to CHC - thus making CHC a year-round CI destination and giving CHC its first scheduled NE Asian service.

IndianicWorld

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 am

^^ Great news.

Provides MEL pax with new options to both TPE and CHC, whilst providing year round access to the CHC market.

Strange that he announced it without formal representation from CI there. Not the usual way they go about these things usually but great to see though.

EK413
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Quoting SYDSpotter (Reply 37):

In addition to the Toll news QF has extended the Australia Post contract for another 5 years.

QANTAS FREIGHT SIGNS NEW DEALS

Qantas today announced it has extended its existing freight deal with its biggest customer Australia Post for another five years.

The Australia Post deal means that Qantas will continue to be the exclusive carrier of the nation’s mail and parcels through to 2020. This includes Qantas freighters as well as belly space in domestic Qantas and Jetstar passenger aircraft. It also means that the strong relationship between our two organisations that started in 1922 will continue to grow.

In addition, Qantas has secured Toll as a new freight customer. The five year deal with Toll will see Qantas carry their freight domestically in the belly space of Qantas and Jetstar passenger aircraft.

Source: http://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/med...ses/qantas-freight-signs-new-deals

qf789

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 41):

VA establishes cargo unit

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...-australia-establishes-cargo-unit/

JQ413 operating OOL-SYD diverted to NTL due to strange smell in cabin, operated by A321 VH-VWZ

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...nding/story-fnii5v6w-1227409970339
Forum Moderator

EK413
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting qf789 (Reply 42):

Thanks for sharing this info. I wasn't aware VA was establishing their own cargo unit.

This morning during my cycle was somewhat puzzled when I witnessed a QF A380 standing off on the threshold of Rwy 07. Even though it's common for aircraft to standoff whilst waiting for bays during peak hours on my way back (1 hour later) the aircraft had not moved. Any idea why the lengthy standoff on Rwy 07?!? Couldn't make out the registration.

Sorry about the photo quality.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2ahse80.jpg

EK413

csturdiv

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:42 am

Seems like a smoker caused an inconvenience on JQ413 OOL-SYD. Had to land at NTL and the pax made the rest of the journey on bus.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/31...amed-for-emergency-landing/?cs=303

Best part of the story:

Several passengers, including Ms Black and Deni Sheridan, were frustrated the bus would only take them directly to Mascot.

Did these people expect the pilot to circle around their house or hotel and let them parachute out of the plane?
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

EK413
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 am

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 44):
Did these people expect the pilot to circle around their house or hotel and let them parachute out of the plane?

Haven't you watched the safety demos airlines now stow parachutes located in the arm rest for passengers travelling in J/C & under the seat for passengers travelling in Y/C. EK413

DeltaB717

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:26 am

China Airlines confirms plans to commence TPE-MEL-CHC vv. from October, 3x weekly A330-300.

http://airlineroute.net/2015/06/23/ci-mel-w15/

csturdiv

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:32 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 45):
Haven't you watched the safety demos airlines now stow parachutes located in the arm rest for passengers travelling in J/C & under the seat for passengers travelling in Y/C.

I am flying JQ Friday evening to HNL, I'll keep an eye out for that part of the safty demo.  
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:35 am

VA loses Toll cargo contract to QF

Well that's awkward!

Congratulations to Qantas, that is an absolutely massive coup.

Quoting dash8 (Reply 38):
when Qantas is ever going to finish painting the remainder of the fleet

Whenever they go through heavy maintenance. There is no "repainting schedule", the aircraft are simply painted when they're out of service for a very extended period of time, and even then that is no guarantee if they need the aircraft back in the air. The livery change was so small that most people never even notice the difference, and therefore it isn't a priority.

Quoting csturdiv (Reply 44):
Several passengers, including Ms Black and Deni Sheridan, were frustrated the bus would only take them directly to Mascot.

Oh my.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:42 am

VA unveils new Premium economy seats

Talk about underwhelming! After Borghetti's talk of "Business Lite" I would have at least expected leg rests, something that Qantas has offered since Borghetti still worked there! Ditto with the "Premium Parlour". Borghetti oversaw the provision of an identical product to economy class during his tenure at Qantas. All up it is very clear that Qantas will continue to thump Virgin in service quality on their long haul routes.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos