KGRB
Topic Author

FAs "Militant" About Window Shades Down On Red Eye

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:19 am

Hello all,

Recently I was flying aboard a (legacy US) AA red eye, from SLC to PHL. Shortly after take off, the captain instructed us to keep our window shades closed until landing "because the sun will wake us up at 4 a.m." (even though sunrise in PHL isn't nearly that early). A little while later, the lead flight attendant made the same announcement.

I initially complied with the request, but opened up my shade mid flight to look out the window. I'm not sure if the FA that was walking by thought I was asleep, but he reached over me and closed the shade without asking. I opened up the shade again and kept it open until landing, being treated to an awesome Philly sunrise.

Has anyone else experienced a situation where the flight crew was so pushy about this? I have been on multiple red eyes in the past (though not on AA/US) and have never heard this type of announcement, much less have a FA close my window shade without asking. I have been a big fan of US (now AA) for many years, but even I think this is over the top!
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/OO CRJ-900 ATL-GRB April 2019

djb77

RE: FAs "Militant" About Window Shades Down On Red Eye

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:23 am

Yes, I recently experienced it on Singapore Airlines A380 from JFK to FRA. It was 21:00 and already dark when we left JFK but not long after departure and before the meal service, the cabin crew in my cabin was walking around closing all shades and instructed middle-seat passengers to do so if the window passenger had fallen asleep. Prior to arrival - when it was already light outside - the cabin crew also instructed those passengers who had slept, awoken and then lifted up their shades, to close them again and wait until breakfast service before opening the shades. It is a few years since I have flown a US airline across the Atlantic but I was surprised by the veracity of the SQ crew!

anstar

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:36 am

It can be annoying when others are trying to sleep and sunlight is glaring into the cabin - I guess the 787 is good in this regard as you can get the best of bother worlds... dark cabin but still see out.

seahawk

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 am

I think that policy just sucks. If you have person using the reading lights next to you the light from a window is making no difference at all.

CARST

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 am

I am in in favor of this policy. And I like the FAs to be "militant" about it. Just one open windows lights up the whole cabin. If 90% want to sleep or rest that is not acceptable.

mattdell

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:29 am

Quoting CARST (Reply 4):
I am in in favor of this policy. And I like the FAs to be "militant" about it. Just one open windows lights up the whole cabin. If 90% want to sleep or rest that is not acceptable.

I agree. It can be impossible for me to sleep if even one window shade is cracked open.

Kashmon

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:48 am

no one is more militant than the CX FA's

on every flight I have been

long or short
day or night
the first thing they do once they can walk around safely is make everyone shut their shades
and the last thing they do before they have to be strapped
is open everyone's shades

no one can say anything
even if you take more than 1 small peek outside for 5 seconds, BOOM they come to you....

mandala499

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:51 am

I go on the window seat to see the world go by. People sleeping? They watch a movie or two, then sleep. Why should I keep my window closed at night while they're watching movies? It's my pet hate to have SQ FAs being window shade Nazis... "I'll close it when I sleep." "No sir, you close it now and sleep or watch a movie"... WTH?

Seeing city lights from 35,000 feet at night, is not something I'd miss for a couple of movies.
If it's sunrise and the sun is on my side of the aircraft, yes, I close it as soon as the sun's over the horizon so as to not inconvenience the others. Again, dawn from above, is an amazing view.

People complain about the feeling of being stuck in a metal tube, why not get a window seat and see the world! This is how I survive flying in economy... They already took out "galley parties/hangouts" for security reasons, so that makes my journey not on a window seat less bearable...   The window shade nazis... well, sorry...

In the older days before PTVs, open windows during the day was no problem... and people managed to sleep too back then! *I find it more refreshing to sleep during the day in the cabin with the window shades open... body clock knows it's daytime*
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

Thomaas

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:55 am

I think it makes sense, even if its only to be polite to other passengers. Its very hard to sleep when you have a bright sunrise in your face even with eyeshades on. I wish more airlines applied such a policy.

seahawk

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:57 am

I hate it most when dawn comes close to arrival time. Instead of a natural dawn you awake to the cabin lights suddenly going on and a FA announcement.  

I fully accept it when it is still light outside at departure for a red eye or when it is light during the flight.

b747400erf

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:00 am

If you need pitch dark to sleep then wear blinders. The glare from the entertainment screen is brighter than a night.

Francoflier

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:04 am

There are those who open their shades during daylight when others are trying to sleep, which is bad.
There are those who open them at night, and then fall asleep and forget/refuse to shut them, which is just as bad.

Considering a majority will always want it dark to try and rest, if everybody was responsible with their shades, FA's wouldn't be so agressive with the policy. The thing is, many people aren't...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

666wizard

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:18 am

I remember flying LGW - STL on TWA back in the '90's (showing my age now) in daytime on a classic 747, and the FA's instructed us to close the shades so they could show a movie on the bulkhead screen. I was in a window seat and enjoying seeing Greenland and Canada bathed in beautiful sunshine, so you can imagine how I felt at having to miss this visual wounder when I discovered that the movie was... Brigadoon!

Back on topic, I have experienced this a few times, and at the end of the day if one window shade is open, darkness is gone, and that's unfair on the majority if they are trying to sleep. I sympathise to an extent with the OP, but at the end of the day the FA's are doing this for a reason.

AR385

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 7):
I go on the window seat to see the world go by. People sleeping? They watch a movie or two, then sleep. Why should I keep my window closed at night while they're watching movies? It's my pet hate to have SQ FAs being window shade Nazis... "I'll close it when I sleep." "No sir, you close it now and sleep or watch a movie"... WTH?

This. That is why I always get a window seat. I want to see out the window and that is my best IFE. Of course. If there is nothing to see, I will close my shade. Otherwise, I keep it up. A sunrise at 37,000 ft ? WIll never miss it for the world. If light bothers you, or your need to sleep is that bad, buy a pair of shades. Online or at the airport. Most airlines also give them for free in Y too. So use them.

Only one time an FA was rather direct about it, on a SAS flight EWR-OSL I simply said no. Did not bother me again. Of course, if I am going to sleep. I will put it down.

Thomaas

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

I'm surprised at the rather rude reactions that some have when politely asked to do so. We live in a society, and sometimes you have to consider how your decisions affect others. Bright sunlight is much more powerful than an IFE screen or a reading light.

777klm

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 13):
Only one time an FA was rather direct about it, on a SAS flight EWR-OSL I simply said no. Did not bother me again. Of course, if I am going to sleep. I will put it down.

If smoking bothers you, buy a gas mask.
If smelly socks bother you, buy a clothespin for your nose.

That's not how it works.

Quoting AR385 (Reply 13):
Only one time an FA was rather direct about it, on a SAS flight EWR-OSL I simply said no.

Being rude and not following the instructions of a crew member may cause problems.
Home airport: AMS
Next flight: CNX - BKK

diverted

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:45 am

Quoting 777klm (Reply 15):
If smoking bothers you, buy a gas mask.
If smelly socks bother you, buy a clothespin for your nose.

That's not how it works.

If daylight bothers you live in a house without windows

Sorry if that sounded harsh, but it's the truth. I'll echo most people's sentiments, if the sun's rising right through my window, blinding the cabin sure, I'll close the shade. But who cares if I want to see city lights at 3am?

Here's an idea, that may actually work...Want darkness? Why not have the airline dedicate 5/10 rows as dark zones or something similar. FF"s with preference are auto assigned them, or $40 for regular pax. Have a curtain similar to the division between J and Y and bam, problem solved.

pvjin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:59 am

Just buy those things that you can use to cover your eyes if you really want to sleep. Personally I can't sleep properly in an airplane, thus I watch movies, read and look outside most of any long flight. If FA tells me to close the shade I sure won't ask for a permission to open it again later, I'll do it when I wish to take a look outside.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

seahawk

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:05 am

If it would be dark, I would follow the suggestion, but the reality is that some have their reading lights on, many other use the IFE and then the open shade (and it typically dusk/dawn or night outside) is supposed to make a difference?

CPDC10-30

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:17 am

I always find it interesting how US passengers close the window shade before takeoff - that just seems strange to me.

But yes, it's a Spockian case of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the one. More people will want to sleep on longhaul flights than look out a window. Many times, I see the sole person with the window shade open is reading a book or even watching IFE rather than looking out the window, which just makes them seem selfish.

Enobar

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:37 am

An open semi open shade is way worse than a reading light or two. Though I might point out that by far the worst light in a plane I've ever come across for disrupting other people had to be the side light in Etihad J cabin. It's a panel around the size of an iPhone plus that is completely unfocused and a really bright white colour 6000k or there abouts. It is glarey beyond awful and I can't work out who in their right mind would design such a thing.

The best one I know of has to be Qantas in J though - not only do they have an overhead light and an adjustable, dimmable isn't on the side of the seat, but also a small dimmable light at the top of the clamshell setback - essentially a small overhead light within the seat itself. It is a very localized light source you can use without lighting up the cabin.

mjoelnir

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:46 am

I choose window seats to be able to look out of the window.

pvjin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting CPDC10-30 (Reply 19):

If those people are able to sleep despite all the noise and small bumps on a flight, then a bit of light surely shouldn't be an issue at all. If it is then go buy those things to cover your eyes, with those I slept just fine on a train full of light. Personally I love watching the terrain down there when there's light and no clouds.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." - Martin Luther King Jr

hb88

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Haven't people heard of things called eyeshades?

For me it is height of rudeness to demand that every single passenger sit in a darkened tube for hours on end regardless of the blazing light and beautiful views outside. Never mind the fact that on long westbound flights it really screws with your time adjustment to, say, take off after midnight and then be forced to sit in the dark for 14 hrs.

Put on your eyeshades and don't expect everyone else to sit in pitch blackness.

When I want to sleep, I put on eyeshades. I would never dream of demanding that my neighbour sit in the dark.

As for people who slam down the blinds the minute they sit down. They should travel in the hold. That behaviour is plain weird.

I've done many transatlantic day flights departing LHR in the morning and arriving in JFK or IAD early afternoon and seen the entire first-class class cabin sit in pitch blackness - no-one asleep, just people working or watching a movie. Bizarre... Business class was more of a mix. I leave my window shades up and just say no when asked to lower them.

A pitch dark cabin for me is oppressive, gloomy, and miserable (and it's a pain to try and do anything such as work, connect devices and god help you if you drop anything, you'll never find it). On long-haul, it's intolerable.

CPDC10-30

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 22):
Personally I love watching the terrain down there when there's light and no clouds.

If you asked me when I joined a.net in 2000, I would have given a similar answer. Now that I fly 60+ times per year (mostly for business), I take an aisle seat, put in the earplugs and put on an eyeshade as soon as possible.

The light doesn't bother me as much as I always have eyeshades - but it seems most don't have them or don't know that BA provides them upon request in Y. Always gives me a chuckle when you see the odd pax with the blanket pulled over their head.

allrite

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:52 pm

As a turbulence hater I find myself additionally stressed with the window shades down, even at night. I like to see if the turbulence is due to passing through cloud, for instance. I also love looking out of the window at the world outside, especially when we are flying over a landmass or there are distant storms and moonlight.

I can't really sleep on planes, except at the end of an overnighter, leaning against the window, when there is bright light shining on my shut eyes.

Very glad of the 787's electronic windows.

The bossiest blind shutters I've encountered were on KLM. The silliest was being asked to shut our blinds on a daylight AirAsiaX flight between KUL and SYD (time difference 2 hours) when there is no IFE on board and it was definitely not sleep time except for those that can sleep anytime, anyplace and for whom an open window probably makes no difference.
I like artificial banana essence!

Adipasquale

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Whenever I fly, day or night, I select a window seat when possible because to me, there is nothing better than watching the aircraft leave the ground, seeing city lights, a sunrise or sunset at over 30,000 feet. I am willing to put up with the inconvenience of sitting farthest from the aisle in return for an amazing view. I have never once been asked by pax next to me or FAs to close my wind blind. On the other hand, on flights where I cannot secure a window seat, I would not dream of asking the person in the window seat to close it so I could sleep. They paid for the seat and they can keep the blind in the position they see fit. I understand that some pax will want to sleep and the good thing is that there are solutions to this without forcing people to close the blinds against their will: wear eyeshades (which most airlines give out upon request) or book a window seat so you can have control over when to open and close the blind. Side note, MidNight is great to take if you want to sleep well on an aircraft.
DH8A DH8B CR1 CR2 CR7 CR9 E45 E70 E75 E90 D93 M88 319 320 321 333 343 712 732 733 734 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 77L 77W

reltney

Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:50 pm

Too bad. My window will be open when I want it open. I am a bit claustrophobic . Too bad for everyone else. If I am deadheading in the cabin I get a window seat and I open it . I like to see what's outside. If your scared to fly, don't get a windows seat. I know this is abrupt..too bad . I like to fly and ride in planes and see things no one else can.

Proud to look outside.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

a320fan

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:00 pm

I would be majorly annoyed if I was told off like a child for having a look out the window on a flight. Seeing the world from above is one of the main attractions of flying, and one of the reasons I always try to fly in a window seat. Others been I don't like the claustrophobic feeling of sitting between other people, and i also find the empty space of an aisle uncomfortable.

While I will have consideration for what's around me and won't leave the window wide open when the cabin is dark and people are tying to sleep, I may take a peek every now and then. Especially if there is something interesting to see such as flying over a major city or interesting landscape. I have some stunning photos of the red dessert of Western Australia meeting a brilliant blue Indian Ocean taken form an SQ flight. It would be upsetting to miss experiences like that. If you're gonna make everyone sit in a dark cabin may as well not even have windows.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Armodeen

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:25 pm

The person in the window seat gets to choose; that's why they picked a window! I am pretty anal about having a window seat and a view.

I would politely decline if a FA told me I MUST close my window shade. Sorry but no. When it is dark or with low sun I will close it (but still look out from time to time) but during the day it generally stays open. If people want to sleep, well that is what eye masks are for.

It is public transport at the end of the day. Do you get the driver on the bus to tell someone to close a window for you?

timpdx

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I think I read it hear that some new 777Ws are having those automatic shades behind the window glass installed? Boo!!!!

I choose a window seat....to look out of the window. I am considerate about it, but I love looking out at dawn/dusk and the cabin effect is minimal. Love looking out at the bizarre and beautiful landscape of Greenland, or recently looking out over Iran on AUH-LAX, a country I have never flown over.

You can take my IFE, but don't take my view!
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

BravoOne

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

It's really simple. Sleeping passengers require less service from FA's. I bought the window seat, I control the window shade within reason.

adamblang

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm

This drives me mad. We should be passengers in C-17s if we're not to use the windows built into the plane. Take out reading lights and PTVs if we're this concerned about light. I choose window seats because I want to look out the window.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 77W 788 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

PacificBeach

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 29):
The person in the window seat gets to choose; that's why they picked a window! I am pretty anal about having a window seat and a view.

That assumes that window seat comes with the privilege of control of the shade. I don't think that is necessarily the case.
Can the passenger on the "aisle seat" control the aisle access? - "Excuse me, I need to use the restroom" - "Not now, maybe later!"

At the end of the day, one should follow the crew's instructions.

[Edited 2015-06-19 09:00:00]

ckfred

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:57 pm

My son sleeps in a loft bed and falls asleep, with his bedroom light on. My wife can fall asleep on an airplane, at the gate, during boarding, with all of the cabin lights on.

I'm curious as to how militant BA flight attendants are. I'm flying BA next month, departing after sunset and arriving at LHR about 4 hours after sunrise.

777ord

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't get the big idea, just close it. I am one of those guys who will pop it open every so often to see if something unique is there. Otherwise, I am more than happy to keep it closed, look at the flight map for anything I may want to see, and get up and look out the galleys' door window.

cageyjames

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Quoting PacificBeach (Reply 33):
That assumes that window seat comes with the privilege of control of the shade. I don't think that is necessarily the case.
Can the passenger on the "aisle seat" control the aisle access? - "Excuse me, I need to use the bathroom" - "Not now, maybe later!"

At the end of the day, one should follow the crew's instructions.

This!   

I'm usually on a window looking out on flights but I'm happy to close it for movies or sleeping. I would hope others would be as considerate to me. Travel is hard enough without people getting angry about things as silly as a window being open a 4am.

jeffh747

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm

I, too, would be very annoyed if someone told me to lower my window shade. If I purchased a window seat, I'm going to damn well get my money's worth of seeing the world. I never, ever fly without a window. There's no fun in sitting down bored out of your mind. If you want sleep, ask the FA to move you, because I'm not paying for a window seat to not look out the window. Too bad, sleep when you get there. If you wanted a closed window, you should've gotten a window seat yourself and controlled it however you like.
A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Cipango

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Quoting CARST (Reply 4):

I'd raise that to 100% in favour of this rule. Pictured below is a recent TG flight SYD-BKK where one passenger left the window blind open when all others were closed and it was INSANELY annoying. Whenever a person passed the window walking down the aisle, they casted a large shadow across the cabin and it was very distracting. When trying to sleep, even with an eye mask, the light was still coming through.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll186/Cipango91/IMG_6318_zpsrzeof0si.jpg
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

Tugger

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 38):
I'd raise that to 100% in favour of this rule. Pictured below is a recent TG flight SYD-BKK where one passenger left the window blind open when all others were closed and it was INSANELY annoying. Whenever a person passed the window walking down the aisle, they casted a large shadow across the cabin and it was very distracting. When trying to sleep, even with an eye mask, the light was still coming through.

Hmmm... doesn't look that bad to me. And I know about "the light flooding in" thing and have experienced it but it does not bother me that much at all. I find it just as annoying when the people next to me are using their reading lights or watching video but it just doesn't bother me that much since it is their stuff, their seat. But obviously quite a few people are super bothered by such things.

Like all things this comes down to: Does it affect me? If it does in a way that I don't like then I support making all others follow the path I prefer.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

CPDC10-30

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 34):

I'm curious as to how militant BA flight attendants are

Less so than on Asian carriers. They will usually ask people to shut the blinds once and then give up if someone insists on keeping it open.

Quoting PacificBeach (Reply 33):
Can the passenger on the "aisle seat" control the aisle access? - "Excuse me, I need to use the restroom" - "Not now, maybe later!"

Well said   We all need to be considerate of those around us. If you see most people are trying to sleep, keep the noise down and close your window shade...

WA707atMSP

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:04 pm

Typically, when I fly and the flight attendants ask the window shades to be lowered, I will lower them 75% to 80%. This blocks most of the direct sunlight, and still enables me to see out and not feel claustrophobic.

I've never been criticized for doing this - it's a compromise that seems to make everyone happy.

pvjin

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 38):

Then you need a better eye shades, the version I used once definitely didn't let any light through it in a fully lighted train. With a proper one it's absolutely irrelevant whether you are in a dark room or in direct sunlight.

vs773er

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Quoting Thomaas (Reply 14):

I'm surprised at the rather rude reactions that some have when politely asked to do so. We live in a society, and sometimes you have to consider how your decisions affect others. Bright sunlight is much more powerful than an IFE screen or a reading light.

Thomaas, the older you get the more you want to experience. If that's a cracking sunrise/sunset from 6/7 miles up then it may be classed as a little more profound than feeling a little sleepy a few hours later, no?
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

birdbrainz

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Quoting CARST (Reply 4):

OK. Would you like them to also be militant about the PTVs? After all, there are multitudes of them, and they're eve worse because of the flickering.

Quoting hb88 (Reply 23):
Haven't people heard of things called eyeshades?

Put on your eyeshades and don't expect everyone else to sit in pitch blackness. When I want to sleep, I put on eyeshades. I would never dream of demanding that my neighbour sit in the dark.

Couldn't' agree more, but I close the shade if I'm not enjoying the view.
A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is if the aircraft can be flown again.

jsnww81

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 41):
Typically, when I fly and the flight attendants ask the window shades to be lowered, I will lower them 75% to 80%. This blocks most of the direct sunlight, and still enables me to see out and not feel claustrophobic.

I do the same thing. I've also found if you tell FAs you have issues with claustrophobia, they will usually leave you alone. You'll get exasperated sighs and rolled eyes from the grandmas on AA/UA, but then again, you get exasperated sighs and rolled eyes from them for just about anything.

CARST

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:06 pm

Quoting birdbrainz (Reply 44):
OK. Would you like them to also be militant about the PTVs? After all, there are multitudes of them, and they're eve worse because of the flickering.

In case of me: I wouldn't mind, I rarely use the IFE, I try to sleep or rest on long flights to arrive fit for the day.

But generally speaking: They don't have to me "militant" about PTVs. PTVs are never bright enough to disturb other passengers. Also they are designed to only have a very narrow viewing angle, basicly only allowing the passenger in the seat in front of the PTV to see the picture.

LBA1432

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

On the red-eyes that I've done (SFO - ATL, RDU - LHR, IAD - MAN) I've never boarded the plane without eyeshades. I would pull those over and sleep, and then when the plane was descending for landing I would pull the window shade up and watch the awesome sunrise, no one has ever bothered me about it, but then again I dont think I've ever bothered anyone about it either...

Cipango

Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Quoting pvjin (Reply 42):
Then you need a better eye shades, the version I used once definitely didn't let any light through it in a fully lighted train. With a proper one it's absolutely irrelevant whether you are in a dark room or in direct sunlight.

Oh totally, I was only using the ones I got in an EK amenity kit.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

EricAY05

Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Quoting mattdell (Reply 5):

I disagree. Most people in Y fly relatively seldom and its often a unique experience for them. It won't kill you if you don't sleep for one night, but it's very sad if a person who flies maybe 4 times a year or flies in a specific area only once in his life misses some spectacular views because you need your nap.

I fly about 50 times a year, not a lot according to some but a huge amount according to others, and still always prefer the view, even if its just the night sky and the stars above the plane. I've flown many times from Europe to Southeast Asia, but most of the time between different cities and at different times of day. Only once have I had the chance to see Mount Everest in daylight close enough that you could actually tell that that's the peak. FRA-BKK, a flight that left late in the evening. However, a nazi flight attendant took this joy away from me and without a doubt some other passengers by being fanatical about the window shades being closed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos