Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Efpg0708
Topic Author

Was My Plane In Serious Trouble?

Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:55 pm

On June 11th I took flight IB5265 from Barcelona to Nice, on a Vueling A320. Boarding was delayed by more than 1 hour due to "technical problems" and when we boarded, a heavy thunderstorm began. So departure was delayed even more, and we finally took off almost two hours after SDT.

We were having a smooth climb inside the cloud layer, but all of a sudden a loud noise began followed by a very strong vibration on the aircraft. Now, I am frequent flyer and a private pilot, so I know this wasn't turbulence. Almost immediately, both engines went to idle and we began to loose altitude for about 15 seconds. After those 15 seconds, the engines started to go up again and the plane started climbing again. I was seated in row 1 so I saw the desperate looks of the flight attendants when all of this happened. The captain quickly called one of them into the cockpit, but didn't adressed the passengers, which were terrified. He should have said something.

My take on this: we encountered ice which did go inside the engines, causing the noise and vibration. Now, I don't know if the pilots commanded the throtlles back to idle or if the engines lost power due to heavy ice. As soon as we exited the layer, everything went back to normal.

Now, this crew was really bad about all this. After the incident, I presented myself to the purser and showed my credentials and asked her what happened. She said: "ooh, the noise and vibration was the gear retracting" . I asked her: "after 10 min airbone?" She said: Yes. Lame

The captain didn't adress the passengers, which were terrified. This made the rest of the flight very uncomfortable.

What do you guys think ?

FlyHossD

RE: Was My Plane In Serious Trouble?

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:05 pm

IMHO, there's not enough information here to judge. I didn't fly A320s, but I don't remember gear retraction on them to be particularly noisy.

Do crews sometimes fail to retract the gear immediately after take off? Yes, that certainly does happen.

How long after take off did this "event" happen?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

captainmeeerkat

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Quoting Efpg0708 (Thread starter):
I presented myself to the purser and showed my credentials and asked her what happened.

I'll be the first to ask: what credentials? That you have a PPL? Unfortunately for you, it entitles you to nothing and rightly so. You have no right for any information on what is happening unless the PIC decides you need to know - that goes from a normal passenger to the Minister for Transport

As for your plane being in trouble - the two people in the front who completed their CPL and type rating etc etc made the decisions that they thought was correct. It seems you landed safe so I doubt you should question their answers.
my luggage is better travelled than me!

nikeherc

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:07 pm

You're a private pilot. I would assume that you fly relatively small single engine, piston powered aircraft. Assume your carburetor started icing and you lost power for several seconds before normal power was restored. Would you consider yourself to be in serious trouble?
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

sw733

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Interesting story, but hard to determine without knowing what went on inside the cockpit. If you were truly in danger, I doubt the plane would have kept going. Perhaps it should have turned around, but the fact that they didn't...I'll give crew the benefit of the doubt.

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 2):
I'll be the first to ask: what credentials?

I was wondering the same. I never knew I had credentials all this time...and I'm an aerospace engineer on top of it!

captainmeeerkat

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 4):
I was wondering the same. I never knew I had credentials all this time...and I'm an aerospace engineer on top of it!

I thought of an analogy: a big 18 wheeler truck is having trouble parking. I come along with my license for a car and ask:

"What are you doing there fella, can I help?"

Maybe I'm just being mean!   
my luggage is better travelled than me!

tommy1808

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:19 pm

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 5):
"What are you doing there fella, can I help?"

well, a "I am a private pilot and as one I am curious what that just was" would be ok I guess, but I don't think you'd need to show credentials for that one.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

flyby519

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous....

Honestly they probably just leveled off for 15 seconds while waiting for the controller to give them a higher altitude. When the 320 is in a high power/High angle of attack climb then the level off can be very abrupt and feel like you're losing altitude when you're just leveling off to maintain altitude. There can be a feeling of vibration in the cabin because the engines are going from full power to idle very quickly.

The noise could have been thunder from outside the aircraft.

You, along with the rest of the passengers and crew, were completely safe.

tb727

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 pm

What do you guys think ?

It's up to the Captain but recently I found out that I think it's good to keep the pax in the loop if something out of the ordinary is going to going on. We've even made announcements in turbulence and I have never had so many people thank us for talking to them about it(we have a lot of first time fliers).

As far as the gear coming up that late, it is possible that was what happened. I have only seen it for a minute or so for some maintenance deferrals and procedures and without digging through manuals to find one with that long of a delay, I don't think you had much to worry about.

As far as ice, I don't know. Everyone is so worried about ice and Airbus but every airplane is prone to problems. The vibration could be from the thrust going from climb right to idle, they may have been told to level off and pushed the level button and it feels like you are descending, which you may some, but it's mostly the feel of deceleration.

That all being said, if the Captain didn't say anything, nothing noteworthy probably happened so you were fine.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

migair54

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 pm

if they continue the flight then was not very serious, otherwise they would have landed back, never forget that the pilots are also there and they are not interested in getting into troubles.

I think you had a close thunder, if you are very close they are terrible, and they reduce the throttles to reduce the speed for the turbulence, that´s normal procedure, and if they level off maybe it´s because air traffic control,

I was seated in row 1 so I saw the desperate looks of the flight attendants when all of this happened.

Cabin crew many times they don´t know what´s going on, they might have been to the cockpit if the captain request a cabin report, normal after severe turbulence, however myself I´d have done in the interphone, just in case we hit turbulence again, let the Cabin crew stay in their seat and safe.

I also think the captain should have talked over the PA, I like to do because I know many pax are really scare to fly, for severe turbulence, go arounds, delays on departure/arrivals, holdings, some minor issues, I always talk to pax with calm and I think they feel good when they know crew is in the loop and they have everything under control.

The captain didn't adress the passengers, which were terrified. This made the rest of the flight very uncomfortable.

They should have done.

Quoting FlyHossD (Reply 1):
Do crews sometimes fail to retract the gear immediately after take off? Yes, that certainly does happen.

Sometimes for cooling brakes, or other technical requirements, but not usually, it´s something almost mechanical during take off, the penalty in case of losing an engine is very big to forget.

[Edited 2015-06-19 08:44:06]

sharktail

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm

If it is not on http://www.avherald.com/, they did not report anything to authorities.A search didn't result in anything. That indicates it wasn't anything serious. I doubt the captain would want to risk his job by not reporting something that went wrong with the engines.

Utah744

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:10 pm

When I was a young DC-9 First Officer a wise Captain told me "Pat, never lie to the passengers." I guess saying nothing is not lying, but in this case they definitely should have said something.
You are never too old to learn something stupid

spacecadet

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:27 pm

She said: "ooh, the noise and vibration was the gear retracting" . I asked her: "after 10 min airbone?" She said: Yes. Lame

Do you disbelieve her only because it was 10 minutes after takeoff or also because it didn't sound like that? If it's only because of the time, this does happen fairly often, especially in summer. After a long taxi on a hot taxiway, the brakes heat up and rather than retract flaming hot brakes into an enclosed space, the pilots will let the gear cool down for a while outside.

This would also explain why your engines went to "idle" (my guess is they just throttled back) - avoiding overspeeding with the gear down.

It's easy to project your own fears onto other people - you say the F/A's looked fearful at the time, but the purser sounds like she wasn't very concerned afterwards. So either she was fearful at the time but found out it was nothing (and told you exactly what she found out), or she knew it was nothing all along and you just thought she looked fearful.

I will tell you that from my own experience, what you describe sounds like a description of the gear retracting.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

flyingbird

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I don't see anything strange during the climb.
http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/vy1517/#6805600

32andBelow

Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:52 pm

I doubt the Captain would brief an FA for a gear retract.

spacecadet

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 14):
I doubt the Captain would brief an FA for a gear retract.

And he probably didn't. The OP just says the captain "quickly" called one of the FA's to the cockpit. I don't know how he knows what they talked about in there. For all he knows, the captain asked the FA for a cup of coffee. Or told her something about connections at the destination that the company just relayed. Or any number of other things that happen in the normal course of a flight.

At 10,000 feet, sterile cockpit rules no longer apply, so you'll often see the flight crew and cabin crew begin interacting at that point. And that more or less lines up with the OP's description of all this happening 10 minutes into the flight.

SuseJ772

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:28 pm

I am surprised no one has mentioned compressor stall. That sounds pretty much exactly like what it could be. Reaching a leveling off. Loud bang. Vibration. Then retardation of throttles. Then a determination all is good and onto the destination.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

aerorobnz

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 15):
Or told her something about connections at the destination that the company just relayed.

In the context of a 2h delay, I'm sure it was an ACARS of disrupt onward flight rebookings (as would happen on my own airline)
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

TWA902fly

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:36 am

Lightning strike?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

bueb0g

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:06 am

Almost immediately, both engines went to idle and we began to loose altitude for about 15 seconds.

How do you know the a/c lost altitude? You probably just felt a level-off.
Roger roger, what's our vector, victor?

strfyr51

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:11 am

should one of the gear extend sensors be faulty the fear will NOT retract before that gear is fully extended. and the Landing gear control unit sees it and acknowleges it as extended.
I've seen the gear take as long as 45 seconds if it's not properly seviced as there is a dual chamber in the gear housing that has to equalize and there are sensors that must show closed to the LGCIU before it completes the necessary circuits,
I've seen this many times with the Airbus over the years. It's not common but it's also not that uncommon.

MD88Captain

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 am

I have pretty close to 20k hours of multi time in the military and Part 121. When I sit in the back it is very hard for me to know what is happening specifically with the path of the aircraft. I think your brain was just running away with you when you felt what was probably a very normal event in the flight. Pulling the engines to idle is normal is several scenarios and a power shift will always result in a pitch change. The pilots didn't talk to the passengers because nothing happened. Chill.

Francoflier

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:09 am

Low altitude level off are accompanied with large and rapid RPM variations of the engines, which can cause transient fan vibrations which are perceptible in the cabin. This is also often accompanied with large pitch changes and that 'sinking' feeling that pax hate due to the temporary less than 1g vertical acceleration.

Ici crystal icing is unlikely during the climb. As for Fan icing, while the procedure calls for pulling the thrust on the engines and accelerating them again to shake the ice loose, you wouldn't normally do it on both engines at the same time.

Hard to tell without having been in there.

[Edited 2015-06-19 21:13:25]

[Edited 2015-06-19 21:14:41]
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:25 am

During high speed climbs, I've encountered occasional rudder flutter on the bus. It vibrates the airplane pretty good, but goes away as you slow below 300 knots.

And that's about it...
Chicks dig winglets.

IPFreely

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:35 am

The captain quickly called one of them into the cockpit, but didn't adressed the passengers, which were terrified.

Yes, if a plane is really in serious trouble the first thing the captain does is quickly call the flight attendants to the cockpit. Flying the airplane, communicating with ATC, and otherwise dealing with an emergency situation comes second.

After the incident, I presented myself to the purser and showed my credentials

Hilarious. I bet she was highly impressed.

F9Animal

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:35 am

If your aircraft was in "serious" trouble, the plane would have made an emergency landing. Serious trouble is serious when it involves commercial aircraft. I doubt it was an icing issue.

I have been in 2 incidents where the plane was in serious trouble. Both involved emergency landings. One was an engine failure after takeoff, and the other was severe turbulence causing injuries.

By the way, I am not discrediting you or downplaying your concern. In my opinion, with the information you provided, it didn't sound like the aircraft you were on was in serious trouble.  
I Am A Different Animal!!

Longhornmaniac

Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:44 am

I think people are being way too harsh on the guy.

"Credentials" could mean something as innocuous as saying "hey, I'm a private pilot (flashes card) and know a fair bit about planes, but didn't understand X, any chance you know anything about what it was?"

The mantra, "AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE" certainly applies, but as the person/people in charge of the aircraft, I think the captain/pilots do have a responsibility to communicate to the passengers, particularly if numerous people seemed worried (which could easily be conveyed to the flight deck by the flight attendants. If they were too busy aviating, then clearly the questions posed in the OP are valid ones.

In all likelihood, it was nothing serious, but I empathize with the OP. I had a similar situation on a LIM-CUZ flight one time as we descended where the plane abruptly went into an unusual attitude, followed by a sharp increase in throttle and climb. People all around looked concerned (including myself), I would have greatly appreciated some communication from the flight deck about what happened.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

ATCtower

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:09 am

I wont get into the debate on pax knowledge etc but to answer your question best I can think:

My initial reaction would be some sort of wind shear.

The entirety of my Airbus 320 time is in a full-motion airline sim, but this sounds very similar to the actions of our sims when training shear...

The loud bang? Could be anything, I have heard a number of weird noises when we encountered shear, turbulence, etc... If auto-throttles were engaged and the aircraft did encounter a downdraft, the throttles would be pulled back to limit speed increase, a drop in altitude, and then everything as normal a few minutes later. The vibration could be anything as well, when you're in wind shear, there are very peculiar forces acting on the plane and I would not rule out vibration...
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

AirCalSNA

Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:25 am

Other than a loud bang it sounds like a typical SNA takeoff.

DocLightning

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:35 am

Quoting flyingbird (Reply 13):

I don't see anything strange during the climb.

There appears to be a brief period during the climb around 11,000 feet where the rate of climb drops to zero for a short while before resuming. Presumably it was delayed clearance to ascend from ATC or avoiding some suspicious-looking patch of sky or some other banal reason to momentarily halt a climb.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

rbavfan

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:39 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 32):

Yeah my friend hates SNA takeoffs. I just like watching peoples reaction they ignored the crew warning about it and panic. SNA= Full throttle, Rapid climb & throttle back. so you can get s ip or dipping sensation. But it fun to watch the newbee's

N757ST

Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 am

I have more then 5,000 hours in the bus and I have no idea. A thought is that the v2500 can vibrate pretty vigorously when the thrust changes dramatically, perhaps the controller told them to suddenly stop the climb or they got a TCAS RA which explains the decsent and the call to the flight attendants. I've carried 3-4 inches of ice on the non protected surfaces and not seen the motors even blip, doubt it's that.

My PPL story (every airline pilot has one) is as follows. Landing in DCA we were switched from the river visual 19 to the straight in visual to 15. Landing was a non event, but on taxi in the FA called and said a government official needed to talk with us at the gate. At the gate the individual comes in and informs me we flew over prohibited airspace during the approach. he said we had overflown the pentagon at only a couple hundred feet and that was strictly prohibited ( it's not). I asked what branch he worked for, he said he was in IT for the dept of commerce, but that he had a PPL and he knows the rules. I kindly thanked him for reminding me, and told him as soon as he collected his stuff I'd call the faa and turn ourselves in. Some people...

[Edited 2015-06-20 03:01:38]

diverted

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 am

Quoting Sharktail (Reply 10):
If it is not on http://www.avherald.com/, they did not report anything to authorities.A search didn't result in anything. That indicates it wasn't anything serious. I doubt the captain would want to risk his job by not reporting something that went wrong with the engines

While avherald is handy, it is by no means an end all be all of what's been reported. IE, looking at the CADORS for yesterday shows 5 incidents, none of which I see on avherald.

burnsie28

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:05 pm

The "engines to idol with no climb" for about 15 seconds happens as normal departure procedures at a lot of airports in the US, MSP is one of them. Sounds like it may have just been part of the departure procedure if its like some of them here.

EK345

Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:51 pm

You all are being way to harsh with this guy. He is just an aviation enthusiast, like the rest of us, and was curious about what happened on his flight. Stick to the question he asked - minus the lame, unnecessary criticism regarding the way he worded his post.

EK345
"and miles to go before I sleep..."

theginge

Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Doesn't it go Aviate - Navigate - Communicate? So if there was a problem a PA to the passengers, however helpful it may have been, is down the list somewhat.

F9Animal

Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 29):
I think people are being way too harsh on the guy.

I agree. Sometimes the members can be pretty harsh. I had to read my response over, just to make sure I wasn't mean or disrespectful.

Efpg0708, I see this is only your 2nd post! Welcome to airliners.net! Anyways, you asked a good question. The wealth of knowledge on these forums is incredible. Again, it doesn't sound like your flight was in serious trouble. The Airbus 320 series makes some odd noises. Having flown at least 100 different 318/319/320's, I can confirm this. Each aircraft had its won noises it liked to make. Frontier who I have flown so many times has brought the noise thing to my attention. I will never forget my first experience of a grinding and groaning sound. Or the high pitch thump sounds. Or the just WTF sounds. LOL! Never once were any of the sounds a warning or concern. The thump you heard could have been a heavy bag falling to the floor in the cargo bin too.

Now that I really think about it..... Every manufacturer of aircraft types has its own quirky sounds. I will never forget my first ride on a BAE 146. As the flaps came down, I thought we were in trouble! LOL! I recall death gripping my arm rest, and saying a prayer. I asked the crew on landing what it was, and they all chuckled. Totally normal.
I Am A Different Animal!!

tp1040

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:24 pm

I have have seen FAs look at each other as if something really happened. Yet nothing serious going on. A lot of unexpected turbulence. Who knows, maybe they are anticipating having to answer passenger questions.

I have also had pilots reduce throttles for reasons unknown to me. A lot of times, it seems it could be noise abatement or ATC instructions, who knows??? Occasionally, seemingly back to flight idle during a stepped climb.

Just attribute it to flying and try not to let my imagination get the best of me. Being in the back, it is hard to really know exactly what is going on.

UALWN

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 42):
I will never forget my first ride on a BAE 146. As the flaps came down, I thought we were in trouble!

So true! I flew once on a BAe146 from AYQ to CNS with a Qantas regional affiliate, and the captain was kind enough to tell the passengers before departure that the noise and vibration we would notice shortly after take off, when the flaps would be retracted, was all normal. I had flown on many LX (Crossair) Avros before, so I knew the deal, but I thought it was a nice gesture anyway!
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

skywaymanaz

Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:03 am

Quoting N757ST (Reply 36):
At the gate the individual comes in and informs me we flew over prohibited airspace during the approach. he said we had overflown the pentagon at only a couple hundred feet and that was strictly prohibited ( it's not).

I recall reading when DCA reopened after 9/11 there were limitations on using 15/33 initially because they didn't want planes flying over the Pentagon. That's not quite the same thing as restricting the airspace even more than it already is. Operationally that became a problem and within a year or two it went away. Your PPL friend seemed to be half remembering something half correct, about as dangerous as a half truth.

At any rate since I got my PPL I've noticed a few minor mistakes flight crews have made. I usually don't say anything because we're all human and we all make mistakes. None of them were a serious concern to flight safety. The one that sticks out in my mind at the moment was the ground crew signalling to the pilot as we were coming into the gate that the flaps were still down after a long extended taxi in from the runway. Of course I have never made that mistake myself, don't look into it or anything  

[email protected]

Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:33 am

Though we cannot be entirely sure....my take on the situation.
1. close to thunderstorms... So that kinda nicely sets up the context for all scary situations
2. Maybe the gear was down for cooling purposes (don't know if Vueling has brake fans installed)
3. With the gear left down the max speed is 280 kts on the A320 (more or less the climb speed depending on the cost index)
4. However the gear up speed on the A320 series is 220 kts!
5. Even with the Autothrust ON...if you reduce the speed selected from 280 kts in level flight to 220kts...you will hear an immediate spool down of the engines as they spool down to flight idle.
6. The retraction or extension of the nosewheel gear is very noisy and can be heard very distinctly in the cockpit and the first few rows in the cabin.
7. so possibly the FA was truthful when she said the gear was being retracted!

Quoting skywaymanaz (Reply 47):
The one that sticks out in my mind at the moment was the ground crew signalling to the pilot as we were coming into the gate that the flaps were still down after a long extended taxi in from the runway.

For the record in my airline its our policy to leave flaps at 1+F position in the A320 when we are in a transit stop. However the flaps are kept fully down at their max position or landing configuration when it has been snowing till we are at gate and the ramp technician or engineer says it is clear to retract flaps. That is to avoid debris from damaging the flaps/slats

Classa64

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 12):
After a long taxi on a hot taxiway, the brakes heat up and rather than retract flaming hot brakes into an enclosed space, the pilots will let the gear cool down for a while outside.

Can they even take off with hot brakes ?

I agree with most here that it must not have been serious or an announcement would have been made or a divert etc. I have only flown a couple times but would have asked for more info after once in a cruise. Yes it would have made me jump to and made me worry but it seems like they had it figured out. Hope you find your explanation .

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

spacecadet

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Quoting Classa64 (Reply 51):
Can they even take off with hot brakes ?

From what I understand, it's not so much that they're getting a warning light telling them that the brakes are hot, it's more of a precaution in certain conditions and under certain specific circumstances to protect against hot brakes.

It's been discussed here a bunch of times. A couple examples:

Why Sometimes No Gear Retraction After Take Off? (by KM732 Jul 8 2003 in Tech Ops)
Why Keep The Gear Down So Long? (by DL767captain Dec 19 2007 in Tech Ops)
Cooling Down A Brake After Takeoff? (by EBGflyer Sep 18 2006 in Tech Ops)
Gear Down Long After Take Off (by Sergy2k May 5 2005 in Tech Ops)

Here is a video example of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8PiCvfpFi4

I have also personally seen this in real life, and thought it was odd as I've only seen it once and didn't know what it was (I may have even mentioned that in one of the threads above).

Noise

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 30):
Other than a loud bang it sounds like a typical SNA takeoff.

Great response...exactly what I was thinking LOL.

wilco737

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:06 am

Guys, seriously. I had to delete 20+ posts in here as this was getting out of control.

Why can't you guys simply discuss the topic and not starting figts which are totally useless and don't lead anywhere at all.

The OP in entitled to post here and to ask his question. if you guys don't have anything to contribute to answer his question, the do not post at all!

Thanks.

wilco737

b747400erf

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:15 am

Quoting wilco737 (Reply 44):

The OP in entitled to post here and to ask his question. if you guys don't have anything to contribute to answer his question, the do not post at all!

Why am I not entitled to my opinion of telling people it is not a good idea to confront crew with your "credentials" demanding an answer to what happened during a flight? And when not getting a satisfactory answer, coming to an online forum to post about how a disaster could have almost happened? I thought this website frowned upon this type of media hysterical reporting?

wilco737

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:19 am

Quoting B747400ERF (Reply 45):
Why am I not entitled to my opinion of telling people it is not a good idea to confront crew with your "credentials" demanding an answer to what happened during a flight? And when not getting a satisfactory answer, coming to an online forum to post about how a disaster could have almost happened? I thought this website frowned upon this type of media hysterical reporting?

You can express it, but in a proper way and not making fun about the OP. You can say that you wouldn't do it like he did. But it doesn't mean you are right and he is wrong.

Everything can be discussed here and when he wants to ask a questions what might have happened on the flight, he can do that.

Yes, the media are oysterical all the time and it annoyes me as a pilot a lot. But asking a question in an aviation forum is fine.

Let's not discuss this here. Help the OP to get an answer and do it in a proper way without name calling or making fun of anybody.

thanks.

wilco737

OMP777X

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 am

I'd have to agree here with Wilco737 with respect to this one. I am sure you all bashing on this guy could make your point without having to make it so personal. I for one was wondering if the OP was making a joke, or if there had maybe been something lost in translation. Anyhow, it seems to be that this was a routine event that maybe was the first time this person had experienced it in flight. I remember something similar to that happening to me on an A330 during a go around.

Best,

OMP777X
"Happy Flighting!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos