Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546
Topic Author

AA Reveals New Domestic Catering

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:01 pm

American Airlines will formally announce shortly details of an entirely revamped domestic catering program, the last in a series of changes meant to bring catering back to the higher quality standards that US Airways management decided to eliminate. The details are already public as AA shared them today with frequent flyers, bloggers, et al and are starting to make the rounds on relevant websites.

The trio of premium trans-con routes, MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, will see brand-new food and wine menus effective July 1st. As AA allows pre-ordering, these new menu items are already selectable on AA.com. One of the most significant changes is that these three routes will, like international long-haul, feature four menu choices. New menu items include a spicy crab appetizer with sushi rice, beef oscar with crab and asparagus, lobster risotto, wagyu meatloaf served with sriracha ketchup and roasted garlic mashed potatoes, steamed sea bass and pan roasted coconut lime chicken. All will be served with a rotation of seasonal vegetables.

Starting August 1st, domestic routes of at least 2.5 hours (and "competitive" short routes like ORD-LGA, MIA-PAP, etc.) will see the return of many of past AA entree dishes that US management had ditched. This includes shrimp & grits and lentil chili dishes, as well as the return of AA's beef filet, this time served with lobster mac 'n' cheese. The appetizers and side salads will also replaced with new items, and AA will continue to roll out new full-size entree salads during lunch flights.

Flights between 2 and 2h30m will continue to feature plated tapas-style snacks, as introduced last month.

[Edited 2015-06-22 16:52:59]
a.

Xkorpyoh

RE: AA Reveals New Domestic Catering

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:38 pm

still, in First class, they dont let me order a vegan meal in advance. I always have to bring my own food even in First.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:40 pm

Quoting Xkorpyoh (Reply 1):

still, in First class, they dont let me order a vegan meal in advance. I always have to bring my own food even in First.

They do on the premium trans-con routes.

But honestly, I don't see the issue. Businesses don't have to cater to ever single dietary restriction, it's not economical.
a.

uberflieger

Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:42 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Thread starter):
spicy crab appetizer with sushi rice, beef oscar with crab and asparagus, lobster risotto and wagyu meatloaf served with sriracha ketchup and roasted garlic mashed potatoes, steamed sea bass and pan roasted coconut lime chicken

I'm salivating   

American 767

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:06 am

The trio of premium trans-con routes, MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO

Is MIA-LAX a Premium trans-con route? I know JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO are, but is MIA-LAX that much Premium heavy? Because all MIA-LAX flights are "two-class" only as opposed to JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO which are "three-class".
Why would MA-LAX be classified differently compared to other transcon flights such as MIA-SFO, IAD-LAX and BOS-LAX? The only reason I see is both MIA and LAX are hubs, SFO, IAD and BOS are not.
Ben Soriano

ripcordd

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:11 am

Right now they have 2 flights that offer 3 class service.....

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:12 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):

They do on the premium trans-con routes.

But honestly, I don't see the issue. Businesses don't have to cater to ever single dietary restriction, it's not economical.

Delta will be happy to let one order a special meal, on every meal service flight, in any class of service.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-experience/food-and-beverage.html

But no, AA doesn't have to cater (literally!) to every single dietary restriction.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting American 767 (Reply 4):
Is MIA-LAX a Premium trans-con route? I know JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO are, but is MIA-LAX that much Premium heavy? Because all MIA-LAX flights are "two-class" only as opposed to JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO which are "three-class".

MIALAX has 2 daily 3-class flights most of the time; regardless AA treats all MIA-LAX flights as premium when it comes to catering, lounge access, etc., even if it is 2-class.

Quoting American 767 (Reply 4):
Why would MA-LAX be classified differently compared to other transcon flights such as MIA-SFO, IAD-LAX and BOS-LAX?

The nature of traffic between Miami and Los Angeles lends itself to having high demand for premium traffic, both in connecting passengers and local, much more so than those other markets, hence AA treats the route differently.

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 6):
Delta will be happy to let one order a special meal, on every meal service flight, in any class of service.

Which is a great advantage Delta has. Good for them.
a.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:51 am

Here is a sneak peek at the new product.

July 1st for MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO.

August 1st rest of the system.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....l-service-rolling-out-this-summer/
a.

StrandedAtMKG

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:00 am

Inquiring minds want to know: will they serve their warm mixed nuts in a dish or in a paper bag?   

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 am

Well thank god. Last month, United rebooked us on AA First Class when our plane went tech and we would miss our connection to LAX from ORD. I know it was after 9PM but really for a 4+ hour mid trans con from there hub, there was NO SNACKS. I asked the FA and was told they had nothing and offered me more warmed nuts. She had a total look of embarrassment having to tell me that. We paid United for First Class and they put us in First Class on another carrier so really can't complain but if I had paid AA directly, I'd be pissed at this crappy offering. If the family had not had snacks at ORD's United Club, there would have been 4 hungry and ticked off people in first class.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5453/18068613012_46058031a1_c.jpgDSC01933 by Brian H, on Flickr

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:18 am

Quoting seat38a (Reply 10):
Well thank god. Last month, United rebooked us on AA First Class when our plane went tech and we would miss our connection to LAX from ORD. I know it was after 9PM but really for a 4+ hour mid trans con from there hub, there was NO SNACKS. I asked the FA and was told they had nothing and offered me more warmed nuts. She had a total look of embarrassment having to tell me that. We paid United for First Class and they put us in First Class on another carrier so really can't complain but if I had paid AA directly, I'd be pissed at this crappy offering. If the family had not had snacks at ORD's United Club, there would have been 4 hungry and ticked off people in first class.

American still won't serve a meal on LAXORD departing at 9pm. But what exactly would you expect from United? United doesn't serve a meal on LAXORD departing that late, either.

I certainly don't agree with it, but U.S. carriers generally don't serve meals on domestic flights leaving after 8pm except for trans-cons, AA, UA and DL included.

[Edited 2015-06-22 19:24:58]
a.

jetblue1965

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:31 am

I have another AA A321T flight east bound coming up next April in F ... I'll see how good it was(but it's lunch hour)

Last November when I flew that 3-class F west bound, I'll rate the dinner equivalent to international J

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 12):
I'll see how good it was(but it's lunch hour)

AA does not distinguish between lunch and dinner other than offering entree-sized salads on lunch flights. The hot meals are identical.
a.

jetblue1965

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:43 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):

Good .. I'll try to actually pay attention to the catering this flight. The last time I flew it I had to rush through some PowerPoint deck so basically I just stuffed the food inside my mouth without even enjoying it.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:48 am

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 14):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):

Good .. I'll try to actually pay attention to the catering this flight. The last time I flew it I had to rush through some PowerPoint deck so basically I just stuffed the food inside my mouth without even enjoying it.

There is little to enjoy about AA's current (PMUS-style) catering. You didn't miss out.
a.

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:53 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 11):
American still won't serve a meal on LAXORD departing at 9pm. But what exactly would you expect from United? United doesn't serve a meal on LAXORD departing that late, either.

I certainly don't agree with it, but U.S. carriers generally don't serve meals on domestic flights leaving after 8pm except for trans-cons, AA, UA and DL included.

United offers a snack service on mid trans con after 9PM. So the difference is AA = NOTHING, UA = Something.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:59 am

Quoting seat38a (Reply 16):
United offers a snack service on mid trans con after 9PM. So the difference is AA = NOTHING, UA = Something.

No, AA offers something, and that's nuts and cookies and a snack basket (also known as refreshment service). Odd that the FAs on your flight didn't have a snack basket to pass around.

Regardless, I find odd your claim that AA offers nothing considering your clearly showed a picture of you being offered something. Or was that your imagination?

I don't think any of the U.S. airlines offer acceptable levels of service on late midcon departures, but they are all competitive with each other.

[Edited 2015-06-22 20:06:46]
a.

chepos

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:04 am

MIA-LAX is provisioned and the aircraft is dressed i nthe premium cabins as a Premium Transcon. route. Even if you have 738, 757, 321S flying the route in addition to the 772.
Fly the Flag!!!!

a318

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
No, AA offers something, and that's nuts and cookies and a snack basket (also known as refreshment service). Odd that the FAs on your flight didn't have a snack basket to pass around.

I flew MIA-MSP last night on AA1621 and was only served the nuts and cookie; I knew it was a refreshments only flight but was surprised they didn't do the snack basket either. At 3:45min block I was bummed that it was a limited service. It's also 1501 miles, meaning because of the 1 extra mile it required 4 of my 500-mile upgrades. I feel like I got duped.

mikesairways

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:31 am

That's all nice fine and dandy, it's nice to see who they really care about. But what about the 97% of the actual pax that actually pay for a flight in the back of the bus. I mean, at least a hot option in the back of the bus on a long-haul would be nice.
The red zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers only, there is no stopping in the white zone...(Ai

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:11 am

Regardless, I find odd your claim that AA offers nothing considering your clearly showed a picture of you being offered something. Or was that your imagination?

I don't think any of the U.S. airlines offer acceptable levels of service on late midcon departures, but they are all competitive with each other.

LET ME CLARIFY. NOTHING = no snacks or anything else other than nuts and drinks in first class. UA offers something as in snack basket, fresh fruit, hummus and dips. I think its pretty safe to say that in domestic First Class, just nuts or pretzels = nothing.

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:17 am

Quoting a318 (Reply 19):
I flew MIA-MSP last night on AA1621 and was only served the nuts and cookie; I knew it was a refreshments only flight but was surprised they didn't do the snack basket either. At 3:45min block I was bummed that it was a limited service. It's also 1501 miles, meaning because of the 1 extra mile it required 4 of my 500-mile upgrades. I feel like I got duped.

I felt I got totally ripped off. But then I stood back and realized, that United did their job and got me to LAX even on a competitor only 1 hour later than if we had taken our original flight. Now having experienced the inflight service on AA, would I pay for first class on American. Yeah NO!

At least you got cookies!

Flighty

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:25 am

that US management had ditched.
he higher quality standards that US Airways management decided to eliminate

I see what you are trying to do with that, but, AA's leadership team has been in place awhile and has a stable future. You can call it the US team if it pleases you. But it's really the AA team to everyone else...

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:29 am

Quoting Flighty (Reply 23):
I see what you are trying to do with that, but, AA's leadership team has been in place awhile and has a stable future. You can call it the US team if it pleases you. But it's really the AA team to everyone else...

Like it or not, there is a divide between PMUS and PMAA employees internally, and if it weren't for PMAA employees and their persistence, including the incredibly vocal PMAA FAs, these catering improvements would likely never have happened in my opinion. Investing in a quality product is a new concept for Parker and Friends, but recent signs show they are finally figuring it out.
a.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:56 am

Quoting a318 (Reply 19):
It's also 1501 miles, meaning because of the 1 extra mile it required 4 of my 500-mile upgrades.

Not true. There is a 51-mile grace. JFK-AUS is 1519 miles, but only requires 3 stickers.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

jetblue777

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 am

I'm due to fly on AA from JFK-SFO in F on July 7th, so this is a nice and welcomed change, not to mention, excellent timing! I will try to make a trip report for this one.

As far as my experience goes, AA even serves a full snack basket and even SEVERAL beverage run on the vert short NYC-BOS-NYC sectors (both LGA and JFK) But then again, it could also be the fact that it's Boston and New York.

his time served with lobster mac 'n' cheese.

I tried this dish at their Admirals Club in BOS and I have to say, while the portions really adhered to its name "Small Dish" it was quite fresh and delicious. The lobster was so fresh, which isn't really surprising I guess considering I was in New England.

jetBlue777   

[Edited 2015-06-22 22:02:04]
It's a cultural thing.

9w748capt

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:00 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 25):
Not true. There is a 51-mile grace. JFK-AUS is 1519 miles, but only requires 3 stickers.

Cheers,
Cameron

Nope - that was done away with. Yet another enhancement from Dougie and co.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:03 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 27):
Nope - that was done away with. Yet another enhancement from Dougie and co.

To be fair, in exchange for this, it's now zero stickers for flights under 501 miles. Not a terrible trade-off.

Quoting jetblue777 (Reply 26):
As far as my experience goes, AA even serves a full snack basket and even SEVERAL beverage run on the vert short NYC-BOS-NYC sectors (both LGA and JFK) But then again, it could also be the fact that it's Boston and New York.

Nothing exclusive to that run. Full snack basket service on all but the shortest of flights in AA domestic F.
a.

jetblue777

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:28 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 28):
Nothing exclusive to that run. Full snack basket service on all but the shortest of flights in AA domestic F.

I know that, but some posters above have complained that they didn't get anything on a much longer flight so I'm guessing that was just a one-off thing by catering.

Anyways, I did a mock booking to see if AA changed its breakfast service on the transcon flight and the options still remain unchanged (Oatmeal, Quiche or Smoked Salmon) with the lunch menu looking a tad underwhelming with only two unimaginative options, although IIRC, AA has always offered two options during lunch hours, correct me if I'm wrong. But I have to say though, the new dinner menu is quite impressive.

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.

jacobin777

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:33 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):
There is little to enjoy about AA's current (PMUS-style) catering. You didn't miss out.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've flown "mid-transcons" (ORD-SFO/LAX-ORD) in F 4 or 5 times the past couple of weeks (got another one tomorrow) and the food isn't anything worth talking about.

Service has been great. No letdowns there.

Going off on a tangent a little, service on US has been great as well - in both F and Y.
"Up the Irons!"

jetblue777

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:38 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 30):
Going off on a tangent a little, service on US has been great as well - in both F and Y.

Along with UA, I've had some of the best flight attendants on US. Without a fail, US has always delivered a very warm, friendly and memorable experience for me and as you said, in both classes. I love cabin crews that interact with passengers and genuinely love their jobs and from my experience, US has this.

jetBlue777   
It's a cultural thing.

Longhornmaniac

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting 9w748capt (Reply 27):

The things you miss during your year as EXP...

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Carfield

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:09 am

I am flying AA from LAX to JFK in F in July. I was able to pre-book my entree last night and was happy to see some new entrees on this segment. I have pre-selected the Lobster risotto and I hope it looks and tastes as good as the pictures shown.

Here is the entree choices for AA 32 from LAX to JFK - Lunch flight:

Classic Caesar Salad and Corn Chowder
Served with an optional grilled chicken skewer

Quinoa and Barley Pilaf
With grilled artichokes

Lobster Risotto
With tuile, shaved Brussels sprouts, lemon oil and Parmesan

Carfield

windshear

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 am

I will never forget that kosher food from LAX-HNL was not available in F class...Hope that changes

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

liftsifter

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:44 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 2):
Quoting seat38a (Reply 10):

I've been served a great meal ORD-BOS on the 19:55 flight. Seems odd.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

AAplat4life

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:13 am

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 35):

For some reason, ORD-BOS is a route where I've had pretty good luck for meals. Overall in the last few months, I've noticed better food quality overall on AA. The menu changes sound interesting.

However, with planes still relatively full, I wonder what has prompted AA to make the change? Perhaps management is responding to the Skytrax survey showing AA at 79, which is below all of its domestic competitors.

lychemsa

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:38 pm

While economy class will receive "garbage."

roseflyer

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:02 pm

Quoting seat38a (Reply 21):

LET ME CLARIFY. NOTHING = no snacks or anything else other than nuts and drinks in first class. UA offers something as in snack basket, fresh fruit, hummus and dips. I think its pretty safe to say that in domestic First Class, just nuts or pretzels = nothing.

That is pretty bad for American. Every flight on United mainline over 1 hour has at least a snack basket. American is supposed to offer the light bites (cookie, pretzels, etc) on flights after 8pm. If it was just nuts, then something likely is missing.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

OB1504

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Quoting lychemsa (Reply 37):
While economy class will receive "garbage."

Pay for first class or buy your own meal in the terminal. No other airline in the country serves warm meals in economy on domestic flights—why would you expect any differently from AA?

777ord

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Quoting seat38a (Reply 21):

Funny you had that. Lat month I flew LAX-BOS redeye and got a warm snack basket after departure, with nuts. Then, a breakfast box on arrival. The truth is, at such late hours of night, do you really want to eat a late dinner? I'd rather get a breakfast than anything more than nuts at 10pm.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 24):
Like it or not, there is a divide between PMUS and PMAA employees internally, and if it weren't for PMAA employees and their persistence, including the incredibly vocal PMAA FAs, these catering improvements would likely never have happened in my opinion. Investing in a quality product is a new concept for Parker and Friends, but recent signs show they are finally figuring it out.

You clearly have not worked for United. Go for work them for even a week and you will see such a strong divide between the 2 work groups you're knees will give. AA/US's merger is a dream in comparison. There is a reason why AA is getting all of its talent from UAL. 15 of their new schedulers @ aa are former UAL. And yes, I used to work for UAL and left at the first opportunity and am so glad to be @ AA.

peanuts

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Special meals have always struck me as something very odd to have to cater to. I can see a few exceptions if the economics of it work out.
I prefer a Paleo type meal myself.
Along with making those choices comes the responsibility of being pro-active with it and sticking to it. Expecting a company to follow my chosen diet is a bit rich in my opinion.

AT

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 41):

Special meals have always struck me as something very odd to have to cater to. I can see a few exceptions if the economics of it work out.
I prefer a Paleo type meal myself.
Along with making those choices comes the responsibility of being pro-active with it and sticking to it. Expecting a company to follow my chosen diet is a bit rich in my opinion.

I would agree in general. Except that in today's climate, so many people don't eat meat that a vegetarian meal should be a regular option rather than a special one.

9w748capt

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Quoting liftsifter (Reply 35):

Pretty sure ORD-BOS/LGA are exception routes, so still full meal service even after the 9/1 cuts.

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:21 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):

After all the big

Quoting 777ord (Reply 40):
The truth is, at such late hours of night, do you really want to eat a late dinner? I'd rather get a breakfast than anything more than nuts at 10pm.

I wasn't expecting a full meal after 9PM. Just some snacks. I don't think its too much too ask for in first class. Especially for people who paid for first, its really annoying. (This part is just in case someone responds with the NO ONE PAYS FOR FIRST CLASS garbage.)

[Edited 2015-06-23 09:22:12]

MAH4546
Topic Author

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Quoting AT (Reply 42):
Except that in today's climate, so many people don't eat meat that a vegetarian meal should be a regular option rather than a special one.

Which is why AA offers a vegetarian main choice on every domestic flight. But "so many people don't eat meat" is grossly exaggerated. Very few people are vegetarians; AA doesn't even offer veggie meals on most flights to South America.
a.

777ord

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 pm

If people know that the food is going to be an issue. Then, come prepared. It's really quite funny. People bitch about not getting food on a plane. But, when they do- they complain it sucked! Well, what do you want?

liftsifter

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Quoting 777ord (Reply 46):
But, when they do- they complain it sucked! Well, what do you want?

The meal I had in F on AA was terrific. The problem is when meals were still in Y, they were absolutely atrocious, just look up some pictures. It's not as expensive to cater an aircraft as some might think, and I'm talking about quality catering.
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

ams747757

Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:52 pm

If people know that the food is going to be an issue. Then, come prepared. It's really quite funny. People bitch about not getting food on a plane. But, when they do- they complain it sucked! Well, what do you want?

I had a great meal on AA once.... I bought it in the terminal before boarding.  

seat38a

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:06 pm

As I have already mentioned, it was a rebook at the last min by United whom I paid for the first class knowing ahead what their inflight service was going to be like (New Enhanced Dinner Flight). Choice was AA or next day on United. And yes, I was proactive and had snacks at the United Club as I had already mentioned above. The point I've been trying to make to all the defenders is that its FIRST CLASS! The other two of their competitors offer something in First Class while AA had nothing. I even asked, and was told they had nothing. And as I have said, if I had paid AA for the seats directly, I'd be feeling a little ripped off. So yes, its good AA is improving their catering per the original topic because my experience from couple weeks ago was blah.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos