Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

RE: Turkish Aviation July 2015

Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes unless its a mistake looks like per GDS that LH is ending IST-MUC from Oct 24th.

IIRC did LH not cut some frequencies to IST last winter as well?
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mict

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:33 am

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 46):
Are a couple TK A340's being phased out?

http://airlineroute.net/2015/07/17/tk-343-w15update1/

I was in SAW yesterday and the Star livery A340 was sitting there with all engines covered, is it being retired?

georgiabill

Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:06 pm

Just curious! Any rumours of TK adding a 2nd daily flight on the IST-BOS route, or perhaps upgrading to the 777-300ER? Also is TK happy with BOS performance load wise and revenue.

mbg

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:06 am

According to the article below (in Turkish only) a male cabin crew member was behind the bomb notes left on board several TK flights. His employment contract with TK is terminated and criminal charges are filed.

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/29...29587280&_sgm_action=Click-Dynamic

Hopefully this will be the end of this non-sense.

northstar80

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:03 am

I have been on a few business class flights lately and dont understand what the whole flying chef is about? Maybe it was because my flights were towards Europe, thus shorthaul, but the flying chef seemed like nothing more than a flight attendant. Maybe it is different on longhaul.

Also, I noticed, when the flying chefs are involved the FA usually doesnt participate in the serving of food/drinks and the service then becomes very slow and chef forgets things told him. This was the case in two of my flights.

What are your opinions?

Yakamoz

Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:49 pm

Quoting Mict (Reply 51):

TC-JDL (Star Alliance c/s) was retired in March 2015.

TK773ER

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:43 am

Quoting leftyboarder (Reply 34):

As you mention looks like the tag from JNB to DUR is going to happen from October this year according to this article http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...other-global-connection-to-durban/

TK787

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:31 am

Quoting northstar80 (Reply 54):

On my latest european TK 330 J flight same experience with the flying chefs.

TKA380

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:55 am

Maybe outsourcing one member of crew is cheaper than using their own. Plus, it adds value to the product supposedly as it's a nice touch.

OA260

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Also, I noticed, when the flying chefs are involved the FA usually doesnt participate in the serving of food/drinks and the service then becomes very slow and chef forgets things told him. This was the case in two of my flights.

What are your opinions?

Its a PR thing and looks good I even had one on ATH-IST before which is one of the shortest routes around with a Chef. I do quite like it but maybe they should tweak it in a way that the FA does a certain aspect of the service and the Chef the main part. Im sure there is a work around so as not to slow down the service.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Rumors are that Mexico City will launch May 2016, and as intermediate stop TK will utilize is Cancun.
Apparently local tourism authority is willing to provide all types of incentives for the CUN stop and has been heavily marketing a route from ME3 or TK in recent years.

Miami

Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 60):

Hearing it might just be 1-2 weekly.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

boun

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:38 am

I don't know the details but it seems AJ wil once again try European routes (out of ESB, SAW??). Mr Kotil says, summer16 will be the season the flights will initiate.

Article in Turkish: http://www.airporthaber.com/thy-habe...en-almanya-icin-surpriz-karar.html

Turkish350XWB

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am

Airporthaber reports that Onur Air will add 6 A330-200s for long haul flights?

TK105

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:54 am

Greeting from TK10, LAX to IST.

I'm returning from a 3 week California holiday going through north to south, east to west, and drove around 2250 miles. Diversity of California was amazing. Especially Costal Road 1 through Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and Pismo, as well as Sequoia National Park at Sierra Nevada Mountains were real adventures. I did not like the Pacific swiming experience at all except Newport Beach/Orange County which was close to Mediterranean Sea style.

Due to a sick male FA, our flight delayed about 2 hours after doors closed. At the end, he was disambarked following a doctor and police officer visit to our plane. He walked in front of me on the way out and he looked like he had a hangover if you ask me.
The future is in the skies.

Miami

Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 am

Turkish updated planned A340-300 service for winter 2015/16 from 25OCT15 to 26MAR16, schedule as follow.

Istanbul Ataturk – London Heathrow
TK1979 IST0750 – 1005LHR 343 3
TK1980 LHR1140 – 1735IST 343 3

eff 30JAN16 Istanbul Ataturk – Brussels
TK1937 IST0805 – 1040BRU 343 6
TK1938 BRU1210 – 1640IST 343 6

http://airlineroute.net/2015/07/28/tk-343europe-w15/
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Yakamoz

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 am

Quoting Turkish350XWB (Reply 63):

The mentioned South America, South Africa and South Korea. Venezuela and Johannesburg are potential destinations.
2 of 6 A332 come 5-7 August, 2 17-25 August. The first 4 will have following Registration: TC-OCI, TC-OCJ, TC-OCE, TC-OCF.
They posted 2 Air India A332 photos.

TK105

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:29 am

It is amazing to see a lot of construction activity at IST:

- Expansion of International Terminal over grounds of old Cargo Terminal.
- New Tarmac and parking spots over land of old maintenance buildings (AKA Teneke Mahallesi)
- Renewal of Tarmac in front of International Terminal gates 208 to 219 (if I'm not mistaken).

DHMI officials state that daily maximum allowable runway airplane activity has already been achieved and there is no more room for growth. Actually you can see that easily: Even during max runway capacity usable northern winds situation, any hour of the day there are more than 5 planes waiting in line for take off. During peek hours, line is always longer than 10 planes. This is big challenge for TK to grow until 3rd Airport is ready.

So only way out is to utilise SAW which TK is already trying to do: Planning a parallel TR-EU-ME connection operations at SAW. However as IST is the driving force of TK's growth, it will not be easy. Another challenge in the vicinity is the capacity of SAW, since Pegasus is also growing rapidly at SAW. Before 3rd Airport is ready, we can see SAW with slot restrictions similar to IST. So DHMI must act very quickly for 2nd runway and terminal for SAW.

In the mean time, we have to accept a moderate growth rate for TK till 3rd Airport is ready. I suppose this growth will be less than 10% annually.

ankaraflyjet

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:57 am

Quoting TK105 (Reply 67):

IST should not handle any local and international charter flights as well as cargo and haj (Mecca) service.

In addition larger a/c should be utilized to consolidate trunk routes to AYT, ADB, ESB, BJV etc. and cut down the frequencies to save slots at busy hours at least,

Last but not least, some direct flights should be reinstated from ESB to European hubs to cut down number of pax flying between Europe and and ESB freeing some traffic for IST and offering more connections from these destinations to other airports in Turkey like Adana, Gaziantep, Diyarbakır, Ercan etc.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:47 pm

Quoting TK105 (Reply 67):
So DHMI must act very quickly for 2nd runway and terminal for SAW.

SAW is not under the umbrella of DHMI. Its belongs investment arm of Turkish military (SSM) who owned the land and decided to develop the airport in 1987s as part of a broader technology and industrial park project in Kurtkoy.

Quoting ankaraflyjet (Reply 68):
IST should not handle any local and international charter flights as well as cargo and haj (Mecca) service.

There are legal access rights. Its difficult to tell people how they can or cannot utilize their slot holdings.

TK105

Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:34 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 69):
SAW is not under the umbrella of DHMI. Its belongs investment arm of Turkish military (SSM) who owned the land and decided to develop the airport in 1987s as part of a broader technology and industrial park project in Kurtkoy.

No, DHMI is now taking care of SAW:

http://www.dhmi.gov.tr/getBinaryFile.aspx?Type=3&Tur=1&ihaleID=1600

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:30 pm

Quoting TK105 (Reply 70):
No, DHMI is now taking care of SAW:

An organization called HEAS was set up to to oversee SAW on behalf of SSM.

DHMI only has the loosest involvement with SAW unlike facilities like IST which DHMI directly oversees. DHMI only has very basic regulatory oversight the same way the FAA has minimal management involvement with US airports. Even the ATC navigation equipment at SAW is not under the control of DHMI.
HEAS in-turn awarded Malaysia Airport Holdings Bhd(MAHB) the concession to operate the terminals at the airport.

SAW was the first non DHMI private airport in Turkey.

AIRPORT MANAGEMENT & AERONAUTICAL INDUSTRIES INC. (HEAS)

Airport Management and Aeronautical Industries Inc. was established on 27 January 2000 to operate Sabiha Gokcen International Airport which is one of the four main elements of the ITEP (Advanced Technology Industrial Park) project.

The main shareholder is Undersecretariat for Defence Industries (SSM). Other partners are Turkish Aerospace Industries (TAI), Turkish Armed Forces Foundation (TAFF) , Turkish Aviation Institute (THK) ASELSAN and HAVELSAN.

HEAS now continues its activities as the Airport Authority of Sabiha Gokcen International Airport. Also PAT area, Air Information Management, Fire Rescue and Crash, Emergency First Aid, Navigation Devices, Electric-Gas-Water-Heating-Cooling, Aviation Information Processing, VIP services, Airside Access Security are all under the supervision and inspection of HEAS.

Also

Sabiha Gökçen Airport was established as the first stage of 6 main elements of Technocity, which would be developed as a “Center of Perfection” within the framework of “Advanced Technology Industrial Park and Airport Project” (İTEP) prepared by Undersecretariat for Defense Industries.

In 1987, “Advanced Technology Industrial Park and Airport Project” (İTEP) was decided to be established in Pendik, Kurtköy with the decision of Defense Industry Executive Committee. With the capacity of 90 thousand ton Cargo, annual 3 million international and 500.000 domestic passengers, Sabiha Gökçen Airport was established in Istanbul Anatolian side as the first stage of ITEP Project.

Management of Sabiha Gökçen Airport, of which profit would be used in projects concerning the development of technological infrastructure of our country’s defense industry and provision of Turkish Armed Forces’ needs, was decided to be given to a public capital based joint stock company that will be active within Turkish Commercial Code.

As of 27 January 2000, Airport Management and Aviation Industries Inc. (HEAŞ) started to manage the airport with the 96,4% capital share of Undersecretariat for Defense Industries.

HEAŞ, which was established on 27th January 2000 with the partnership of Undersecretariat for Defense Industries (SSM), being in the first place, TUSAŞ Aerospace Industries Inc. (TAI), Turkish Armed Forces Foundation (TSKGV), Turkish Air Association (THK), ASELSAN Electronics Industry and Trade Inc. (ASELSAN), and Air Electronic Industry and Trade Inc. (HAVELSAN) has continued its activities as a 3-partner company since 25.12.2014 when TAI, ASELSAN and HAVELSAN transferred their HEAŞ shares to TSKGV.

Sabiha Gökçen Airport, which was opened on 8 January 2001 and became first privately operated airport of Turkey and Anatolian side of Istanbul, has become the airport that reflects high technology of 2000s to safety and customer satisfaction and increases passenger capacity in each passing year.

Along with rulemaking, organization and inspection activities that being an airport authority brings; HEAŞ also provides electricity-water-gas-heating-cooling services of the airport, aviation information processing activities, VIP services, safety and inspection of gates to the airside activities. It also keeps movement area (runway-apron-taxiway), air information management, fire-plane crash-wreck rescue, first aid and health, navigation devices active for 24 hours.

TK105

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:33 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 71):

I'm referring to new facilities at SAW. DHMI is in command of 2. runway and new midfield terminal projects. I think aviation management of SAW is also under DHMI as well:

http://www.dhmi.gov.tr/haberler.aspx?HaberID=2502#.VbuSaGDN7dk

However ownership as well as general management of Airport and overall campus is/will be under management of HEAS/SSM.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos