Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sleekjet
Topic Author

American First Class Meals

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:05 pm

I guessed I missed the memo...but do First Class passengers on AA now have to purchase their meals?
II Cor. 4:17-18

adamblang

RE: American First Class Meals

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:11 pm

This is your answer, the first result in Google for "American first class meals."

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/duringFlight/dining/premium-cabin.jsp

[Edited 2015-06-30 16:12:01]

sleekjet
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Well, I still don't quite get it. I looked at my first class tickets for a flight in October and where normally they would indicate the meal served, it says that meals would be available for purchase. The website doesn't say the word "complimentary" nor does it mention the meals have to be purchased.
II Cor. 4:17-18

MAH4546

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:30 pm

No, of course not. AA does not charge for meals in first.
a.

910A

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:55 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):

And the meal I had flying to IAH a couple of weeks ago, was actually very good.

GavinSharp

Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:56 pm

Quoting sleekjet (Reply 2):
Well, I still don't quite get it. I looked at my first class tickets for a flight in October and where normally they would indicate the meal served, it says that meals would be available for purchase.

Seems likely to just be a printer error or something. "Meals for purchase" is what appears on economy tickets (domestic).

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:19 am

Quoting 910A (Reply 4):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 3):

And the meal I had flying to IAH a couple of weeks ago, was actually very good.

You're probably one of few that thinks that. People have complained so much about how bad the new meals are, that they are being replaced tomorrow on MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO and August 1st on other domestic routes.
a.

eaa3

Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:28 am

What is it that makes the new meals bad?

GSPSPOT

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:21 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 7):

Heck if I know, My partner who is EP on AA (and DM on DL before that) is pleased with the offerings and has quite a few favorites.
Great Lakes, great life.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 7):

The meats are of incredibly cheap quality and AA thinks that just drenching them in sauce is ok. They are served with watery vegetables that run and make the entire plates soggy.

Fortunately all the current menu items except the salads and certain pastas are being discontinued.
a.

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 9):

This...flew F PHL-DEN on US metal last week and the late dinner was so-so, and the ice cream was hard as ice  
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

questions

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:04 am

Isn't AA known for having the best domestic F meals of the US3?

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 am

Quoting questions (Reply 11):

Isn't AA known for having the best domestic F meals of the US3?

It generally was until PMUS people took over catering.
a.

910A

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:18 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 9):
The meats are of incredibly cheap quality and AA thinks that just drenching them in sauce is ok. They are served with watery vegetables that run and make the entire plates soggy.

Well since the flight left from PHX, and it was a pmUS crew and aircraft perhaps the meal was different; it sure wasn't drench in sauce.

N1120A

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am

I looked at my first class tickets for a flight in October and where normally they would indicate the meal served, it says that meals would be available for purchase.

It says that because that is true in Main Cabin.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

adamblang

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:37 am

Well, I still don't quite get it.

What city pair and flight number on what day? And have you tried calling, Tweeting, Facebooking, or emailing American since they'll be better able to explain you particular situation than any of us guessing here?

N62NA

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:01 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
People have complained so much about how bad the new meals are, that they are being replaced tomorrow on MIA-LAX, JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO and August 1st on other domestic routes.

The chicken was actually pretty good on my MIA-JFK dinner flight earlier in June.

However, the cold sliced chicken with the salad on my two JFK-MIA lunch flights this month was... uninspired (though the salad was actually very tasty).

Anyway, nice to see that they are going to upgrade the meal service. Now if they could fly something other than mostly 738s and A32B (Domestic) on MIA-LAX, that would be great!

[Edited 2015-06-30 20:02:42]

HPAEAA

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:11 am

F Class meals have always been free & continue to do so, you can even preorder your choice on AAs website if you want to check out the menu(I use it as a guide to either eat onboard or carry on something). PMAA had pretty good meals and rotated regularly, but ever since Dougie took over the soggy, sauce drenched meals have taken over.. It's not just the sauce but the little things like meat quality, a tin foil sauce container, paper napkin wrap, dressing options, and overall presentation that have made the change - I'm hoping the promised upgrades make a difference.
1.4mm and counting...

GSPSPOT

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 17):
I'm hoping the promised upgrades make a difference.

I thought "new" AA had already upgraded FC meals? Or was that just making mealtime windows/length of flight rules more generous?
Great Lakes, great life.

jsnww81

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:23 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 18):
I thought "new" AA had already upgraded FC meals? Or was that just making mealtime windows/length of flight rules more generous?

They have had a series of somewhat confusing announcements as they've made piecemeal adjustments. The big switch (or downgrade, if you ask anyone on FT) was October 1. Since then they've rolled some things back:

- meal windows were moved back, closer to the old standard, a few months ago and more exception markets were added
- dessert catering was adjusted
- linen tablecloths were brought back (although now you seem to get one only if the flight attendant feels like it; more often than not you don't)
- new meal items are coming to key transcons today and to most other markets next month

The "new" F meals (post October of last year) do have a more 'processed' feel than the old ones. They don't LOOK as appetizing as the old ones, although my experience is that they TASTE fine. The sad part is that the portions and quality are basically identical to the meals that were served in domestic Y 25 years ago, and in international Y 15 years ago.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 19):
- linen tablecloths were brought back (although now you seem to get one only if the flight attendant feels like it; more often than not you don't)

This has been a major problem, especially with PMUS employees, and they are going to start pre-setting the linens so it's not an issue anymore.

The sad part is that the portions and quality are basically identical to the meals that were served in domestic Y 25 years ago, and in international Y 15 years ago.

I've had people say they are pretty much identical to current Y meals that AA/US serve international, and that sounds about right.
a.

jsnww81

Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 21):
This has been a major problem, especially with PMUS employees, and they are going to start pre-setting the linens so it's not an issue anymore.

All but two of my 20+ of my flights in the last two months have been on LAA planes with LAA crews, and linens are usually missing. The crews seem to have gotten used to serving meals without them and now have cut the step from their service.

Ironically on my ATL-PHX flight (a LUS flight with LUS crew) I was given a tablecloth.

It's tough to control for service consistency with such a large group of employees, but there does seem to be some confusion on service standards.

Now if only they'd bring back the bread plate so I don't have to awkwardly reach across my seatmate to take the roll from the FA's tongs...

ckfred

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Does the roll-out of new First Class meals on August 1 affect with AA serves in First on the RJs?

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 25):
Does the roll-out of new First Class meals on August 1 affect with AA serves in First on the RJs?

Eagle already received redesigned meal service on June 1st.
a.

deltaffindfw

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Interesting comments on the linens. I'm doing a 787 run now. My DFW-ORD leg this morning had linens, but the ORD-DFW return has none. Same plane, same crew...

pliersinsight

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:06 pm

Some time ago I posted that it was time for a makeover of AA's logo and livery and I was blasted by 95% of this site and then lo and behold a little while later they rebranded and it was a "such a great idea".

Accordingly, I'm making another AA suggestion that will likely be scoffed today and the case tomorrow:

First class meals are replaced with Small plates, tapas, keep them coming style. With the exception of ultra long haul, the meal on, dare I say even trans atlantic, should be shifted to a menu of about 8 small plates you can choose from, and keep ordering from, until you're happy or they run out of your first selection and you pick a second. Heck, maybe even pick three different things, then three different things the next time. You could even try all 8. The servers would be educated on wine and drink pairings with each of the small plates and you have a real culinary experience with each one. Passengers that don't want a lot, get what they need, those that want more, get it. Everyone gets more choices.

Still going to need the linens and real china, but with each individual plate there is less prep, nothing running together, variety, and the "experience" tag with the drink pairings. It would also work better in less than ideal weather.

Dessert would be the same style, maybe three choices, paired with a dessert wine, single malt or port.

The days of the leviathan coursed meal on an airplane should be over, outside of state aircraft and private flights. Even more so because you can't end it with a cigar.

MAH4546

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 27):
First class meals are replaced with Small plates, tapas, keep them coming style.

That's what AA now does on flights under 2h30m and redeyes (other than MIALAX, JFKLAX, JFKSFO). Though the tapas don't "keep coming in style."
a.

Cubsrule

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:12 pm

meal windows were moved back, closer to the old standard, a few months ago and more exception markets were added

The problem with the current meal windows is that the 2000 cutoff splits a bank at CLT. So, if your CLT-IAH flight leaves at 1955, you get a meal. If they move it to 2005 (same bank, and likely the same inbound flight for connecting passengers), suddenly it's snack basket only. There may be other similar problems at other hubs.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

questions

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 21):

All but two of my 20+ of my flights in the last two months have been on LAA planes with LAA crews, and linens are usually missing. The crews seem to have gotten used to serving meals without them and now have cut the step from their service.

Ironically on my ATL-PHX flight (a LUS flight with LUS crew) I was given a tablecloth.

It's tough to control for service consistency with such a large group of employees, but there does seem to be some confusion on service standards.

Now if only they'd bring back the bread plate so I don't have to awkwardly reach across my seatmate to take the roll from the FA's tongs...

Please clarify the classifications LAA and LUS.

I thought the AA FAs were given smartphones. Seems like service standards reference material should be loaded on an internal app. Use of technology to push updates and reminders seems also very doable. Do the PMUS FAs have company issued smartphones?

You have to take the roll from the FAs tongs using your hands? Kind of like receiving communion?? Classless. Bring back the bread plate!

jsnww81

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:03 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 28):
Please clarify the classifications LAA and LUS.

Legacy AA and Legacy US. Those are the monikers for the separate crews and fleets that are in operation until the workforces are combined.

You have to take the roll from the FAs tongs using your hands? Kind of like receiving communion?? Classless. Bring back the bread plate!

They give you a tiny, worthless doily to put your bread on. Sometimes I'll use that to grab the bread from the FA. It's a minor gripe, sure, but there's room on the tray for another plate - it's just an attempt to save a buck.

N62NA

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 pm

I had an empty plate with doily on my tray on both my MIA-JFK-MIA roundtrips on AA this month and when the FA brought the bread basket around, I handed my plate over, she took the tongs, put my bread choice on it and handed me the plate back.

Seemed like a common-sense way of doing this, no?

jsnww81

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 30):
I had an empty plate with doily on my tray on both my MIA-JFK-MIA roundtrips on AA this month and when the FA brought the bread basket around, I handed my plate over, she took the tongs, put my bread choice on it and handed me the plate back.

Seemed like a common-sense way of doing this, no?

I've had that setup once or twice in the last few months as well. Normally, though, there's just a doily and no plate, and you have to reach across your neighbor to take the bread by hand.

qqflyboy

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 am

While there may be some inconsistency with crews using linens, I'll tell you more times than not they're never received from catering in the first place. The inconsistency of catering is astounding, and frankly I'm surprised a company the size of AA tolerates it. Do you think EK would? Not a chance. US management has done a better job holding the various catering companies accountable than AA ever did, but it still hasn't solved the the problem. It's often a crap shoot what catering will deliver, and I'm not just talking about during changeovers from one month to the next when the menu changes, but day to day. It's very frustrating for the crew because they have to make do with what they get, and in the case of the linens, pax just assume they're being lazy.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

HPAEAA

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:12 am

Quoting qqflyboy (Reply 32):
While there may be some inconsistency with crews using linens, I'll tell you more times than not they're never received from catering in the first place.

Just to be clear on my post it wasn't just the black linen, but also the linen that used to cover the plastic tray, I noticed that those disappeared when PMUS took over, while not a huge thing it was a nice touch.
1.4mm and counting...

N62NA

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Here's what the lunch (and presentation) looked like on AA JFK-MIA June 30th:

AA Lunch JFK-MIA June 30, 2015

brooklynchris13

Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Just experienced LUS First Class meal service on a flight from DEN to CLT (A321). Have to say the food and presentation was excellent. Had a choice of either a steak & chicken salad or pasta. A warm roll was served with the meal and a very decent piece of Key Lime Pie for dessert. The wine was also pretty good. Linen service was provided, as was the hot towel and everything was on glassware and real silverware. No plastic cups. No plastic silverware. Also, between the outbound legs and this one I have to say the FA was extremely pleasant both times and very professional. Things seem to be on the uptick and I am happy that lessons learned have apparently been integrated into the delivery.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

ASFlyer

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 20):

I should preface this by saying that I don't work for AA/US (obviously), have no idea what they do onboard and don't know what kind of training AA/US has in place. That said, I know at my own airline, whenever we roll out a new upgrade to our F service it is always implemented poorly because the only information anyone gets on the new service is a bulletin, which not everyone always reads. Over time, there are so many changes that you can fly on 10 different flights and get 10 different versions of the service. I imagine that it's the same at AA/US. There have been so many changes in a not very long period of time, all explained via email bulletins, but not through a comprehensive training program. So, while it's easy to say that the LUS FA's do a poor job of implementing the service, one could also say that they never offered an FC service to the standard that AA did so their FA's have never been properly trained in how to deliver this service - just a bulletin each time there's a change. Things that are instinctive to LAA FA's because of their training, were not to the LUS FA's because they never offered that service to begin with. Just a thought.

Cubsrule

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:16 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 36):
Things that are instinctive to LAA FA's because of their training, were not to the LUS FA's because they never offered that service to begin with. Just a thought.

I think that is much of the issue. I've found most US f/as (predominantly CLT-based because of where I live) to be perfectly friendly and service-oriented, but they are accustomed to a more limited service.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

fbgdavidson

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:21 pm

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 25):
First class meals are replaced with Small plates, tapas, keep them coming style. With the exception of ultra long haul, the meal on, dare I say even trans atlantic, should be shifted to a menu of about 8 small plates you can choose from, and keep ordering from, until you're happy or they run out of your first selection and you pick a second. Heck, maybe even pick three different things, then three different things the next time. You could even try all 8. The servers would be educated on wine and drink pairings with each of the small plates and you have a real culinary experience with each one. Passengers that don't want a lot, get what they need, those that want more, get it. Everyone gets more choices.

Sounds a bit like B6 Mint eve down to the suggested pairings!

I was really impressed by the food options and quality on my Mint flights (I didn't partake on the overnight coming back though).

Trip report:
JetBlue Mint: JFK-LAX-JFK (w/pics) (by fbgdavidson Jun 11 2015 in Trip Reports)
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

F9Animal

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:31 am

Do any airlines offer the ice cream sundaes anymore? I remember when UA did this on their flights from say IAD to LAX in the late to mid 1990's. It was amazing. The food was also great. Who has the best first class food in the US?
I Am A Different Animal!!

N62NA

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:08 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 39):
Do any airlines offer the ice cream sundaes anymore?

AA does every time I fly on MIA-LAX / LAX-MIA on a lunch or dinner flight. I believe they also do it on JFK-LAX/SFO.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:39 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 39):

Do any airlines offer the ice cream sundaes anymore? I remember when UA did this on their flights from say IAD to LAX in the late to mid 1990's. It was amazing. The food was also great. Who has the best first class food in the US?

AA has a sundae cart on all domestic flights over ~2,200 miles.
a.

washingtonflyer

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:57 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 26):
That's what AA now does on flights under 2h30m and redeyes (other than MIALAX, JFKLAX, JFKSFO). Though the tapas don't "keep coming in style."

With a few exceptions - DCA-ORD being one. Full meal there.

And, yes, meals in F are free. I'll let you know how my teriyaki beef is on Monday....

[Edited 2015-07-02 21:02:26]

N62NA

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:13 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 42):
I'll let you know how my teriyaki beef is on Monday....

Yes, I just noticed that is one of the new meal choices this month. Would be interested in hearing how it is.

jetwet1

Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:34 pm

Quoting pliersinsight (Reply 25):

First class meals are replaced with Small plates, tapas, keep them coming style.
Quoting fbgdavidson (Reply 38):
Sounds a bit like B6 Mint eve down to the suggested pairings!

I was really impressed by the food options and quality on my Mint flights (I didn't partake on the overnight coming back though).

For me, it was the weakest part of the whole Mint cabin (which I loved btw) while I am eating lighter nowadays, I do prefer the more traditional meals served on AA and DL.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:47 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 43):

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 42):
I'll let you know how my teriyaki beef is on Monday....

Yes, I just noticed that is one of the new meal choices this month. Would be interested in hearing how it is.

It's not a new meal and it's disgusting. Like everything else,it will be discontinued August 1st.
a.

questions

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 45):

It's not a new meal and it's disgusting. Like everything else,it will be discontinued August 1st.

This is the *new* Teriyaki Beef which is one of the meals to be rotated from American's new AAsian Fusion offerings.

MAH4546

Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 46):

This is the *new* Teriyaki Beef which is one of the meals to be rotated from American's new AAsian Fusion offerings.

The new meals are not being introduced until August 1st, except for JFKLAX/JFKSFO/MIALAX.
a.

N62NA

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:36 am

Quoting questions (Reply 46):

Well, I suppose we'll have to hope that washingtonflyer will report back so we can resolve this dispute!

washingtonflyer

Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:45 am

Perhaps the difference is the side items.

This one reportedly comes with pineapple rice, snap peas and carrots.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos