Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyenthu
Topic Author

VX AUS-DAL Daily Reduction To 4x

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:58 pm

HI,

I have been wondering how VX's 5x daily have been doing in the AUS-DAL sector. It turns out that from Sep 1, frequency will be reduced to 4x daily. Does this mean that VX is having a hard time eating into Southwest and American's market? They had just launched AUS-DAL in late April. There is a table with flight frequencies at the bottom of the webpage in the link below.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...llas-austin-flights-in-april.html/

Any insight?

Thank you!

F/E

GSPSPOT

RE: VX AUS-DAL Daily Reduction To 4x

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Maybe they need the a/c to start a new destination from DAL or use elsewhere in the system(??). Although I would think it to be exceedingly difficult for any carrier to crack into an intra-TX market dominated by two established, home-grown contestants.

[Edited 2015-07-01 07:12:52]
Great Lakes, great life.

Polot

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:09 pm

As you can see from the table, they planned the reduction from the beginning. Therefore you can't draw any conclusions about how the route is performing against WN and AA from this (other than it is not doing good enough to cancel the planned reduction and continue 5x daily in the low season).

dbo861

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:12 pm

They've switched it between 4-5 frequencies a couple times now. I wouldn't read too much into this.

enilria

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Thread starter):

I believe this was already discussed several weeks ago in the OAG thread. I hear the route is awful, but no data yet.

flyenthu
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:22 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):
I believe this was already discussed several weeks ago in the OAG thread. I hear the route is awful, but no data yet.

Any idea why it would be awful? It is a very short flight, like 40-50 min.

Thanks!

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 5):

That's the point. It's so short that many of the local O&D can easily drive (esp by the time you factor in to/from airport and all that).

And when a flight is so short, price is virtually everything. No one would even have time to be enjoying all the mood lighting and IFE and WiFi.

milemaster

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:03 pm

I flew VX on AUS-DAL 10 days ago on a Wednesday and the flight was roughly 3/4 full. I wouldn't call that awful but my one flight is only a small sample.

Blew WN away in terms of experience I would say.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 6):
That's the point. It's so short that many of the local O&D can easily drive (esp by the time you factor in to/from airport and all that).

That would be true if there weren't connections available on VX from DAL to LGA, DCA for example.

[Edited 2015-07-01 13:07:28]

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Quoting milemaster (Reply 7):
That would be true if there weren't connections available on VX from DAL to LGA, DCA for example.

It's somewhat clear that the connections aren't exactly serving VX well, and they have to find a different solution to all their DAL slots.

diverdave

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:50 pm

Quoting flyenthu (Reply 5):

I suspect "awful" refers to the loads and/or yields.

Did VX announce another flight out of DAL to replace this dropped flight to AUS? Given the wide speculation here that the flights were in place to keep the two VX gates occupied and unavailable to DL.

David

Dallas

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:04 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 9):

Did VX announce another flight out of DAL to replace this dropped flight to AUS? Given the wide speculation here that the flights were in place to keep the two VX gates occupied and unavailable to DL.

I believe this now puts them at 18x for their two gates, along with the 2x of K5 puts the two gates at 20, the magic 10x number. I could be wrong, so someone please correct me!

AMALH747430

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:16 pm

I grew up near SAT and went to law school in San Antonio. Frequency is everything on the intrastate routes between AUS/SAT and DAL. The drive up I-35 is not that far but one can sit in traffic for hours if there is a wreck or if you hit Austin at the wrong time. Flying only makes sense if there is enough frequency to allow you to leave no later than you need to and return as soon as business is done. Hence WNs shuttle type schedule.

flyenthu
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Per the article, between WN and AA, there are 24x dailies from AUS. My speculation is that DAL and DFW serves as transfers for AA and WN and onward into their huge network. AUS-DAL/DFW is probably low in O/D. I live in Austin, and I have never flown to Dallas, always driven because if you add door-to-door travel time, driving is quicker and more convenient. Plus, there is Czech Stop in West!   I, now, see that VX has its work cut out for itself in this regard.

AMALH747430

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I'll add that Texans are extremely blindly loyal to WN. I know many friends, colleagues and family members that will crucify UA or AA for a minor delay but will excuse WN for much more.

ont 737

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Looking at the fares available, their RASM and Yield must be rock bottom. As for the loads...

Courtesy of DAL's website here is VX's seat factor (onboards/seats) out of DAL. I'm using using seat factor to adjust for the short stage length of DAL-AUS.
Jan 61.6%
Feb 67.6%
Mar 79.8%
Apr 73.8% (DAL-AUS service began April 28th)
May 66.8%

So in the first full month of service, the DAL loads dropped 7 points. If the rest of the markets (DAL-SFO/LAX/DCA/LGA) loads held steady during May, DAL-AUS must have been pretty bad (probably in the 40-50% range). However, we won't know for sure until the May data get released in 2 months.

blueflyer

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 1):
Maybe they need the a/c to start a new destination from DAL or use elsewhere in the system

If you go by the chart in the OP's link, as AUS is cut, SFO and DCA both get an extra frequency. Obviously cutting one daily flight off AUS alone isn't enough to add two frequencies, but it's certainly not a coincidence either.

airplaneboy

Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Quoting AMALH747430 (Reply 13):

I'll add that Texans are extremely blindly loyal to WN. I know many friends, colleagues and family members that will crucify UA or AA for a minor delay but will excuse WN for much more.

I would say this is largely due to the corporate culture of WN towards customer service, compared to AA and UA. There are good and bad apples at WN just like at every airline, but generally speaking- they fare much higher in customer satisfaction surveys (and consistently have for decades). This is not to say that customer service is poor at AA or UA. But WN employees have always been empowered by headquarters and their leaders to consistently go above and beyond, and to always do the right thing- even if it means bending the rules sometimes (with the exception of always following FAA regulations, of course). Frequent WN customers are loyal because when things go wrong (as they do many times when you're dealing with airline travel), WN doesn't nickel and dime their customers to change itineraries nor do they make it difficult to get their customers where they want to be at the end of the day. When there are delays or cancellations, employees are encouraged to keep customers informed on a regular basis, and to be honest about the reason for the delay. Generally, customers understand that things happen (mechanical delays, weather delays, crew legality delays, etc.). HOW the airline handles that situation and HOW they respect the discomfort of their customers on a pretty consistent basis is why WN's loyal customers are willing to cut the airline some slack when things go south. That's just my opinion of course. It's also important to note that due to WN's large point to point network, they can more easily reroute customers without the hassles of being forced to transfer in a hub with traditional banks and having to sit 4-5 hours to wait for a connecting bank- even though they do not interline with any other airline.

[Edited 2015-07-01 16:03:31]

AMALH747430

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:40 am

Quoting airplaneboy (Reply 16):
I would say this is largely due to the corporate culture of WN towards customer service, compared to AA and UA.

Good point. Though I would say that the gap has narrowed in some ways. The WN of 2015 is quite different than the WN of 2001 that I flew home regularly when I was an undergraduate at Texas Tech in Lubbock. I think at this point many of us remember what they used to be and are more forgiving of their middle of the pack performance when it comes to their operations. All airlines have disgruntled employees. It just seems that I am seeing more and more of them at WN these days.

In any case, I have gotten us off topic. I agree that WNs loyal following, frequency and plethora of connections at DAL mean that VX will have a difficult time at DAL even with their superior product. Just like travellers in NYC are loyal to B6 and SEA residents are loyal to AS, Texans "LUV" their hometown airline and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that (even this loyal ex CO / present UA customer will agree).

[Edited 2015-07-01 20:42:51]

[Edited 2015-07-01 20:43:30]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos