Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gen2stew
Topic Author

WN F/A's Get A T/A.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

After much foot dragging by G.K. and the negotiators, the hardworking F/A's got a T/A to vote on. Can't wit to hear about the changes and "improvements". Congrats! WN F/A's!
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

hiflyeras

RE: WN F/A's Get A T/A.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Looking forward to hearing about what's in it! Both sides were under a lot of pressure...company to keep the status quo on pay, FA's to keep the great WN work rules.

ASFlyer

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:43 pm

The Press release made it sound like work rules are changing and pay is going up.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:58 am

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 2):
The Press release made it sound like work rules are changing and pay is going up.

I wonder what effect, if any, this will have on the inflight hiring spree WN has been on of late? Slowdown? No change?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

WNCrew

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:21 am

Quoting GEN2STEW (Thread starter):
fter much foot dragging by G.K. and the negotiators

....please....

because you can't pay your bills? You poor poor FA. We are so well taken care of. Were the wage better under Herb's regime? NO, they weren't. Stop blaming GK... and start coming to work looking the part and acting the part. SOOOOO many FA's look like crap and do the bare minimum while whining and complaining about everything under the sun and then blaming GK about it.... I'm tired of it.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

airplaneboy

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:35 am

WN Crew, I think the op flies for AA.

[Edited 2015-07-06 20:37:01]

WNCrew

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:39 am

Quoting airplaneboy (Reply 5):

WN Crew, I think the op flies for AA.

Well then they have no business commenting on "foot dragging" by our CEO or our negotiating team.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

gen2stew
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:08 am

WNCREW, It is my business as to what goes on at WN for the following reasons: I am a share holder, I have close friends that are cabin crew for WN, and therefore care what happens to them at their place of employment, and I worked for WN under H.K. and G.K., so I feel that I do, again, have an interest in the happenings. As for your sniping retort about my description of your and my former counterparts, I was reffering to the 4+ legs a day that are common, cleaning airplanes, doing the manual demo, etc... As, for blaming G.K. he is the CEO and with that title comes more than just glad handing and deck party LUV: the buck stops with him. So please direct your ire elsewhere; try starting with the "SOOOOO many FA's look like crap and do the bare minimum while whining and complaining about everything under the sun and then blaming GK about it.... I'm tired of it" instead of someone who is happy for you and wishing you well. As you alight from your high horse, please step carefully.

[Edited 2015-07-07 04:18:18]
I don't know why blessings wear disguises. If I were a blessing, I'd run around nude!

737tanker

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:26 am

WNCrew GK has been dragging out the negotiations for not only the F/As but the Ground Ops, Mechanics, and Pilots. Based on the current economic conditions, and what the pilots at other airlines are getting, I'm guessing that GK is wishing he didn't drag out all the negotiations and settled the negotiations a couple of years ago.

Birdwatching

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41 am

Wow, that thread title and opening post are so full of abbreviations that I can't figure out what this is about, no matter how hard I try. Can anybody translate this for Europe?

Thank you!

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

F9Animal

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:42 am

Glad to see the FA'S get a TA! I hope it is a winner for both the employees and the airline. As for negotiations taking so long? It happens in every industry. In fact, our workers went 2 plus years without a TA. It went to arbitration, and we won back pay for that 2 years.  
I Am A Different Animal!!

yeelep

Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 9):
T/A to vote

G.K.=Garry Kelly C.E.O.
F/A's=Flight Attendants
T/A=Tentative Agreement

wwtraveler99

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Gen2stew,,,,,,

Really? These are ur big issues? Cleaning planes, manual demos and 4+ legs. They can only be scheduled 10:30 a day. Most are shorter. Wn fas make good money. I don't think it's too much to ask them to tidy up an aircraft. It takes all of 5 min. And how long does it take for the demo. 3-5 min. Wow so overworked and underpaid. I hope WN never goes the route of pre-recorded demos.

I also do not totally agree with wncrew. Most fas look good. Yes some do need to improve appearance but for the most part it's fine.

I wish you the best at ur current employer

WW

Dallas

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:58 pm

Quoting gen2stew (Reply 7):
I am a share holder,

So then I'd assume you were happy the negotiations took so long, to keep costs low and the stock high?

I have close friends that are cabin crew for WN

Or, now you're hinting you weren't happy... which one is it?

I worked for WN under H.K. and G.K.

I think we're getting closer to the underlying issues. Wait for it...

As, for blaming G.K. he is the CEO and with that title comes more than just glad handing and deck party LUV

You're starting to sound a little resentful and angry.

instead of someone who is happy for you and wishing you well. As you alight from your high horse, please step carefully.

You really have a weird way of showing your happiness and care for others then, my mistake. I'll get off my high horse, please disregard my previous comments.

[Edited 2015-07-07 07:59:10]

questions

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:02 pm

"Doing the manual demo"?? Isn't that a critical task of the FA? "Your safety is our number one concern and for that reason we ask that you please follow along in the passenger safety information card located in the seat back pocket in front of you as our flight attendants..."

Do WN FAs believe they do not have enough time to complete a proper demo? Do they want the airline to use taped demos displayed on PTVs and cabin monitors? If so, how would WN FAs spend that 2-3 minutes? On some airlines that used taped demos there will be one or two FAs setting up the galley while the rest gab. On others, there are FAs setting up the galleys while the other FAs stand in the aisles.

Dallas

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 14):
Do WN FAs believe they do not have enough time to complete a proper demo? Do they want the airline to use taped demos displayed on PTVs and cabin monitors? If so, how would WN FAs spend that 2-3 minutes?

There is plenty of time and it is not a big deal. I have no idea why gen2stew listed that, as it is not an issue.

Very happy with the new TA. Congrats!!!

WNCrew

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:38 pm

As you alight from your high horse, please step carefully.

...I don't find myself on a high-horse as I'm not blaming anyone for anything and have a lot of gratitude for the things I have. I am simply pointing out that there is (what I find) an unfortunate amount of entitlement amongst certain workforces here at WN and we forget that "current economic environment" or not, we STILL have it better than so many and there are still many employees here that didn't appreciate it even then. Many people need a reality check.

Cleaning Planes? ... not an issue, many WN FA's complain about turn times being longer than :30 and you think they'll allow for more time for cleaners to come on and deal with the cabin? No...

Manual Demos vs Prerecorded video demos?... I've never even heard of this as an issue...

instead of someone who is happy for you and wishing you well.

Your way of showing you're happy for others is quite odd.

Quoting Dallas (Reply 13):
You're starting to sound a little resentful and angry.

LOL... and HERE it is!

Quoting Dallas (Reply 13):
I'll get off my high horse, please disregard my previous comments.

Thank you Dallas...  

deltal1011man

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:48 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 4):

wait, how long has your contract been up for negotiations?

If it is like most of your peers it has nothing to do with being able to "pay your bills" and everything to do with needing to get an agreement done.

Many airline employees can "pay their bills" that doesn't mean that the labor should be happy about the company and the union dragging things out years and years and years past the amendable data. That is one of the many problems labor has in the industry today and it is what is dragging us all down.

EA CO AS

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:59 pm

Quoting wwtraveler99 (Reply 12):
I don't think it's too much to ask them to tidy up an aircraft

I've often wondered why non-revs getting off a plane don't at least cross seatbelts in their immediate area. I've always made a practice of doing it as a courtesy.

Quoting questions (Reply 14):
Do WN FAs believe they do not have enough time to complete a proper demo?

Not to the ones who want to make a "Star Search" type of comedy/song and dance routine out of it, no.   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

gen2stew
Topic Author

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:42 pm

My choices of examples were to show that the flight attendants at WN are BUSY, they work hard, differently than their counterparts at other carriers. As for my time at WN, I have no regrets, I made friends that I'll have for life and honed my customer service/interaction skills. Would I go back? NO! As for the negotiations taking so long, I find it frustrating as an employee anywhere, that quater after quater of "record profits " a contract couldn't be gotten.

737tdi

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:38 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 18):
I've often wondered why non-revs getting off a plane don't at least cross seatbelts in their immediate area. I've always made a practice of doing it as a courtesy.

Heck, I have repaired our aircraft when non revving. My wife and I were boarding a flight from SAN to DAL and I noticed the fwd. emergency exit light lens sitting on the Fwd. galley (this is a non MEL item). I told the FA I was a WN mech. and would fix it. I had the Capt. put it in the logbook and repaired it. This eliminated a delay for contract maintenance and the cost as well. This happens more then one would think, a mech. flying non rev can be a good thing for the other passengers. I carry a Skeletool with the knife blade removed just for this reason. I think most non rev employees do help out where possible.

I sure hope our F/As are happy with the new T/A, if so vote yes, if not vote no. I sure wish we would get ours settled.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos