gullairACK

RE: Irish 12/15: High On Jet A1

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:53 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 99):
Recently my flights have been dreaded 0600 or around that time so can't face it at that time in the morning.

Time at that hour? Try the Eggs Benedict at the Champagne bar at the bottom of the Burger King escalator. Great taste and value. Instant service as it is uncrowded compared to the other vendors. A very civilised start.

I understand the DAA is looking to place a very premium lounge for transatlantic clients after CBP.

[Edited 2015-07-09 11:55:41]

EI320

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 84):
I'm sitting here @ DUB and once again I'm waiting on another DELAYED Aer Lingus departure. I've taken over 10 EI flights in the past 5 weeks and NOT ONE flight has been on time; be that at DUB or European outposts.

Crumbling on time performance; a ''flagship'' lounge supposedly part of a superior Businsss Class product that is stocked to the bare minimum and nothing but continued excuses onboard blaming previous passenger demand for there being not more than a few scraps available for purchase onboard.

Well said EIBusiness.

I'd like to echo the above sentiments. I've also taken a large number of EI flights over the past two years and the overall decline in service quality has been very noticeable. In addition to the deteriorating on-time performance, the abysmal lounge offering and the catering farce that has been discussed at length on this board; cabin cleanliness remains subpar and there are still no signs of a new website or a new mobile app. A new website had been promised for 2014; yet, here we are in Q3 2015 using the same ancient platform.

It's really quite amazing; EUR 25M has been invested in a new Business product that EI spent the entire winter season installing; yet, they persist with advertising an angled lie-flat seat, complete with a range of cheap computer-generated graphics, on their "Inflight Experience" page. Why bother launching a new product when it's not even going to be advertised properly?

And finally; to top it all, we are being faced with escalating fares that, quite frankly, seem to be spiralling out of control on many routes. For example, some very frequent EI passengers who I have spoken with on recent flights have been forced to postpone trips or book with an alternative carrier when faced with fares exceeding EUR 550-600 for a round-trip to London. It would seem that passengers using certain UK and European routes are now being screwed to compensate for what must be a significant decline in yield on routes that have been directly targeted by FR over the past year; all in the name of protecting top-line revenue. If this is indeed the case; it is not a sustainable strategy, and there can certainly be no justification for it in the context of the points mentioned above.

frostyj

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I noticed that in your trip reports lol..
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

shamrock321

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm glad some people are finally saying it how it is re Aer Lingus! You only have to look at Twitter to see the stream of complaints about delays and catering, there is only a few but compared to the size of a Aer Lingus it's clearly a big problem.
ThrottleHold your comments are similar to what I imagine EI management are saying.

One of my best friends recently flew LHR-DUB-JFK return in Premier, he was quite impressed.

Has anyone seen this gem? http://youtu.be/6eQZ76bWmow

Eagleboy

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 90):
it's the likes of me; loyal frequent EI passengers who are suffering time and time again. I could not give a toss as to the internal politics; I paid EUR 600+ for this round (short) Euro trip to be left sitting delayed once again......

........ passengers don't give a damn who is to blame; they are ultimately being run over rough shod by internal incompetence at EI. The IAG takeover cannot happen quick enough to clear out the remaining incompetence that persists at EI; at whatever level that may be.

I have to agree with EIBusiness here, the pax dont need to hear the problems, they will vote with their feet (and mouse clicks) The pax just want to get what they pay for and expect. The staff need to stop apologising for problems caused by mgmt. I know that my own mate has given pax the email address of the Chief Commercial officier.

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 103):

I'm glad some people are finally saying it how it is re Aer Lingus! You only have to look at Twitter to see the stream of complaints about delays and catering, there is only a few but compared to the size of a Aer Lingus it's clearly a big problem.
ThrottleHold your comments are similar to what I imagine EI management are saying.

EI Mgmt have made a huge mistake and left their frontline staff to take the flak.
Oonly a month ago EI cabin crew got an "update on the catering process" It specifically mentioned "thanks for dealing with the guest issues so well that "negative social media comments have minimised"
At this point however the cabin crew are telling passengers (IMHO guests dont pay for food and drink!!) to use social media to complain to the company as the mgmt aren't listening to staff reports.

Eagleboy

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:23 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 90):
And to be honest; whoever is to blame (clearly inept leadership at the very top of EI which was well expected when CM moved on);

An interesting comparison in leadership styles/ability can be draw with the ex-CEO the current CEO and CCO.
Previously Herr Mueller would make a tour of each section twice a year,over the course of 2-3 days he would got to each section/location for maybe 2 hours. All were welcome. he would make a presentation on the current status of the operation and take questions from the staff.
The current CEO has yet to do so, even being in the position for over 4 months now. Next week he is holding a business update briefing in their new HQ (Shamrock House)
Mike Rutter the Chief Commercial Officer will also be there. However instead of being open for all staff have to email to secure a place at the briefing.

So from a CEO who used to go TO the staff, transitions to a CEO who expects the staff to come to him.

[Edited 2015-07-09 13:24:08]

EI320

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 105):
However instead of being open for all staff have to email to secure a place at the briefing.

To allow for a full screening exercise to be undertaken presumably; thus ensuring that only polite "listeners" will be in attendance? Quite a striking change in leadership style alright, and certainly not for the better.

OA260

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting gullairACK (Reply 100):
Try the Eggs Benedict at the Champagne bar at the bottom of the Burger King escalator. Great taste and value. Instant service as it is uncrowded compared to the other vendors. A very civilised start.
I understand the DAA is looking to place a very premium lounge for transatlantic clients after CBP.

Thanks for the heads up thats a fav food of mine so deffo on the list.

Quoting shamrock321 (Reply 103):
Has anyone seen this gem? http://youtu.be/6eQZ76bWmow

Fab video . Thanks for the link. Amazing footage.

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 105):
Mike Rutter the Chief Commercial Officer

I dont trust him one bit. My dealings with him he promised something yet never delivered. In fact I wouldnt trust him as far as I could throw him after that.

Eagleboy

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 88):
I dont think they could strip out the bar anymore in the EI lounge.

It gets better Philip..... from tomorrow EI will load each shorthaul aircraft with 14 breakfasts, this is to supply ALL flights that aircraft operates that day.
The A330s to FAO and AGP will receive 28 breakfast for the >550 pax booked on the 2 sectors.

EDIT this 28 includes any pre-order bookings

[Edited 2015-07-09 14:38:17]

OA260

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 108):
The A330s to FAO and AGP will receive 28 breakfast for the >550 pax booked on the 2 sectors.

Due to customer demand no doubt.   Because on a 0700 flight to AGP who would want breakfast.
I do hope the pre orders on the longer routes are being met these days and my positive experience was not a one off. Otherwise Mr Chief Commercial Officer might be getting a sausage where the sun doesn't shine in future  

Eirules

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Realistically how soon will the IAG bid be done and dusted? Even then are they immediately going to kick the 2 aforementioned men into touch? I don't know their contract situation but no doubt there will be some kind of redundancy package involved. With regret I think we may accept these two will likely be in place for the guts of a year
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Eagleboy

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 107):
I dont trust him one bit. My dealings with him he promised something yet never delivered. In fact I wouldnt trust him as far as I could throw him after that.

So far he hasn't instigated ANY successful program in EI. The new procedure of calling passengers/customers "guests" seems to be his baby. Oh and apparently he is involved in the catering issues too......
The new J Class product was driven by an individual who had 30 years in EI but was pushed out by Mr Rutter about 3 months ago.

OA260

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 111):
The new procedure of calling passengers/customers "guests" seems to be his baby.

Stolen from EY maybe. I dont like that term in the aviation industry to be honest.

''a person who is invited to visit someone's home or attend a particular social occasion.''

The last time I was a guest of Aer Lingus I could have sworn my Visa debit was charged  

AmricanShamrok

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:15 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 112):
Stolen from EY maybe. I dont like that term in the aviation industry to be honest.

Yes, it annoys me as well.

FR will launch a frequent flyer product towards the end of the year. Nothing to do with miles or points, but personalised discount codes/other incentives according to how much travel you've done. Michael O'Leary revealed this in yesterday's interview with George Hook on Newstalk, the podcast can be found here and the bit about the frequent flyer is at the very end.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/The...Ryanair_Greece__the_Mile_High_Club

frostyj

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:57 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 108):

That's crazy! I feel sorry for the poor cabin crew that have to suffer through this. How mortifying.

[Edited 2015-07-09 16:00:59]
[url=http://m.maploco.com/details/5f34zxvq][img]http://www.maploco.com/vmap/s/8395334.png[/img][/url]

OA260

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:19 pm

Aer Lingus done for false advertising.

Aer Lingus and Vodafone forced to remove misleading ads

Confusion over airplane seats, misleading broadband speeds and a guarantee to lose a stone in 12 days saw Aer Lingus, Vodafone and Educogym respectively forced to withdraw adverts by the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland (ASAI).
The authority upheld 11 complaints in its latest quarterly report which found a lack of truthfulness was the largest cause of concern for consumers.

Among the adverts criticised was a promotional email by Aer Lingus which guaranteed 50 per cent off the price of every seat on selected routes from London to Ireland from December 1st to March 25th.
The complainant said when he went to book a flight for his friend to fly home for Christmas, he found he could not receive the discount as it fell within the Christmas period which Aer Lingus said was not included in the promotion.
He claimed only when he looked at the terms and conditions of the offer, which he considered to be in small print did he discover that the Christmas period was excluded from the offer.
The complainant stated in their view the advertisement was misleading as it had guaranteed 50 per cent off “every” seat.
Aer Lingus is yet to respond to the complaint. The ASAI forced the airline to remove the advertisement.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...to-remove-misleading-ads-1.2279144

321neo

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:49 am

FR has just accepted the IAG bid for its shareholding of EI.

(Sky News Twitter)

Surprised they didn't kick up too much of a fuss about it all!

[Edited 2015-07-09 23:49:49]

captainmeeerkat

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:15 am

So far he hasn't instigated ANY successful program in EI

Excuse my pessimism but he has been aware of the IAG takeover for a long time, knows that it will finally go through and probably new blood hired in from the IAG side.

Management are just biding their time until the golden parachute arrives. Only an idiotic manager would see how successful the previous CEO was and then do the opposite to him.
my luggage is better travelled than me!

LHRFlyer

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 am

Realistically how soon will the IAG bid be done and dusted? Even then are they immediately going to kick the 2 aforementioned men into touch? I don't know their contract situation but no doubt there will be some kind of redundancy package involved. With regret I think we may accept these two will likely be in place for the guts of a year

A reasonable estimate is that completion will be about three months from the date the offer is accepted and exchange of contracts.

In terms of possible management changes at EI, IAG will have probably informally gauged the capability of EI senior management during the due diligence process.

[Edited 2015-07-10 01:49:14]

OA260

Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 116):
FR has just accepted the IAG bid for its shareholding of EI.

Yes its great news link here :

Ryanair votes to accept IAG offer for Aer Lingus
Deal would pave way for British Airways owner IAG’s €1.3bn takeover of Aer Lingus

Ryanair said it will accept IAG’s offer for its stake in Aer Lingus, paving the way for the British Airways-owner’s €1.3 billion takeover of the Irish carrier to go ahead.
European Union approval for the deal is now the last remaining hurdle to IAG’s plan to buy Aer Lingus and build a new transatlantic hub at Dublin airport.
IAG’s bid for Aer Lingus had been conditional on agreement from Europe’s biggest budget airline Ryanair, which holds a 30 per cent stake in Aer Lingus.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...iag-offer-for-aer-lingus-1.2280218

Eirules

Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:49 am

Now further being reported that the EU have given the green light for the takeover providing EI continue to offer connections for other carriers (I'm assuming KL & VS here specifically) but it also suggests some LHR slots will have to be given up. Given IAG's commitments to the govt about the EI slots this must mean BA giving up some of their own! No numbers mentioned though.

Things finally beginning to proceed at pace....

http://m.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0710/713833-ryanair-iag-bid/
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Eagleboy

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 112):
The last time I was a guest of Aer Lingus I could have sworn my Visa debit was charged

This would be precisely the view I have, customers can still be welcomed and valued while being called 'customers'

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 117):
Only an idiotic manager would see how successful the previous CEO was and then do the opposite to him.

Seems like EI have some idiotic mgmt then!

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 117):
Management are just biding their time until the golden parachute arrives.

I would agree. We will probably see a few departures over the next 6 months.

tonystan

Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 110):

I sense once the deal is done these muppets will be taking their bonus and saying "sayonara" to EI and disappearing to pastures new (probably the gulf or Asia) with claims of brokering an amazing deal for their previous employer!

We've seen it all before and will see it again!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

ClassicLover

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:29 pm

Hopefully in future we will see a turn around in the catering in the GC lounge. Even choices such as the BA one in BHD would be a major step up.

Well considering the takeover is virtually in the bag, you wish could come true!

To be fair, the catering in the GC lounge has been the same for years and years and years. Boring and plain.

I wonder in future if we will ever see the lounge split. Maybe better catering for TATL J class upstairs. FF Y pax and European flights downstairs.

That is an interesting idea, but would upstairs have enough space? It also bucks the trend - it seems the in thing at the moment is for a single lounge for First and Business Class. Qantas have done this brilliantly with their "Qantas Hong Kong Lounge" and "Qantas Singapore Lounge" offerings which are very very chic. Of course, they still have divided lounges in Australia as standard.

Time at that hour? Try the Eggs Benedict at the Champagne bar at the bottom of the Burger King escalator.

I haven't paid attention to that bar at all! Love an Eggs Benedict - thanks for the tip!

Quoting EI320 (Reply 101):
It's really quite amazing; EUR 25M has been invested in a new Business product that EI spent the entire winter season installing; yet, they persist with advertising an angled lie-flat seat, complete with a range of cheap computer-generated graphics, on their "Inflight Experience" page. Why bother launching a new product when it's not even going to be advertised properly?

This!

I want to grit my teeth every time I see that the web site has not been updated on this Inflight Experience page to show the new Business Class.

It just stinks of an IT/Web department that has absolutely no pride in their work.

If I was working there, I would have said, "hey, we need to change x!" - just as part of being an engaged employee.

It's been wrong for months now and it stinks.

And finally; to top it all, we are being faced with escalating fares that, quite frankly, seem to be spiralling out of control on many routes.

Funnily enough, the prices are back to what they were years ago. €2,200 return to BOS in Business Class! I'm flying BA1 and BA4 later this month and that cost me €1,300 return! EI can be very over priced. That being said, I imagine the Corporates don't pay the web site price.

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 113):
FR will launch a frequent flyer product towards the end of the year. Nothing to do with miles or points, but personalised discount codes/other incentives according to how much travel you've done.

I like the sound of this - it also sounds very smart. If you have a personalised discount code, then it's actually getting you to spend money again with Ryanair in order to use it. Seems like it could be a bit of a win win situation both for FR and the passenger. I'll be interested to see how that pans out!

Ryanair are getting better and better as time passes. I'm very interested to see their move when Europe is saturated!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:23 pm

Quoting classiclover (Reply 123):
To be fair, the catering in the GC lounge has been the same for years and years and years. Boring and plain.

Which is sad as the lounge itself is very pleasant.

That is an interesting idea, but would upstairs have enough space?

Its big enough it could be used as a dining area and only those with TATL J Class not GC members would have access. You have to keep it restricted just like the arrivals lounge is. You may get to a stage where they will need to open a second lounge but god knows where.

It just stinks of an IT/Web department that has absolutely no pride in their work.

The whole thing needs stripped out and re done especially the App. Lets hope they can bring it up to the same standard as British Airways with their App. Gate notifications and proper Passbook boarding passes. FF access and even digital Gold Circle Card.

ClassicLover

Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 124):
Which is sad as the lounge itself is very pleasant.

I agree, the design of the lounges is quite nice.

Its big enough it could be used as a dining area and only those with TATL J Class not GC members would have access. You have to keep it restricted just like the arrivals lounge is. You may get to a stage where they will need to open a second lounge but god knows where.

Yes, I know what you mean, but who is going to pre-dine on a day service? It will be interesting to see if they do need a new lounge. Though if that happened it might be somewhere else in the airport as I assume they can't expand T2 much more. It might end up being down the other end somewhere.

The whole thing needs stripped out and re done especially the App. Lets hope they can bring it up to the same standard as British Airways with their App. Gate notifications and proper Passbook boarding passes. FF access and even digital Gold Circle Card.

I would hazard a guess that it'll be one of the things that would be outsourced.

My guess would be all the IT and any bespoke EI systems will be gone in the next few years and everything will be consolidated on whatever IAG are using. It's a good thing... and IT staff will find new jobs quickly if they're not redeployed elsewhere in the group.

EI121

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:27 am

Regarding the IAG offer;

Could we see the acceleration of EI plans to introduce a new Y cabin and also a Y+ cabin? Hopefully bringing the IFE and inflight service up to BA standard.

And also when could we see new routes being launched? I would imagine IAG would like the start them at the start of the Summer season (Late March) however with the lack of aircraft I would say early May/ June would be a more realistic start date.

Thanks - EI121

jah718

Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:47 am

This!

I want to grit my teeth every time I see that the web site has not been updated on this Inflight Experience page to show the new Business Class.

If I was working there, I would have said, "hey, we need to change x!" - just as part of being an engaged employee.

It's been wrong for months now and it stinks.

This kind of attitude within a company drives me crazy. It amazes me that nobody from the top down has thought to update the website. If I was contemplating flying EI in J, and I saw those seats on the website, it would make me not fly them.

Eagleboy

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:32 am

Quoting jah718 (Reply 127):
This kind of attitude within a company drives me crazy. It amazes me that nobody from the top down has thought to update the website. If I was contemplating flying EI in J, and I saw those seats on the website, it would make me not fly them.

As always EI have terrible attention to detail. Since Mueller checked out (mentally) about 12 months ago we have seen a return to form from EI mgmt.

Cipango

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 am

Quoting jah718 (Reply 127):
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 128):
As always EI have terrible attention to detail. Since Mueller checked out (mentally) about 12 months ago we have seen a return to form from EI mgmt.

A few weeks before an Aer Lingus flight they send an email asking to select seats for €5. However when I log into the Aer Lingus website to do so (I'm not going to as its free 24 hours prior to departure) it charges me €5.99.

I think its poor to send an email saying you can pre-book your seat for €5.00, click on this link and then charge €5.99. €0.99 is not a lot but thats not the point I am getting at.

Is this a case of false advertising?
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

frostyj

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:23 am

I don't know why airlines think they are justified in charging for seat selection. American airlines do it for free and you can change your seat for free.

MesaFlyGuy

Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:16 am

Quoting frostyj (Reply 130):
I don't know why airlines think they are justified in charging for seat selection.

Because they know that, if it means that much to you, you'll pay it. American airlines do this too; look at Spirit and Allegiant.
The views I express are my own and do not reflect the views and opinions of my company.

pilot21

Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:20 am

BA charge you to pre-select your seat even if you are travelling in Business (not sure about First) if you are not a Silver or Gold card member! All about the ancillary ££'s!

In relation to the IAG take-over of EI - are some people on here hoping a little too much in terms of positive changes that will happen at EI from a customer experience perspective? I know WW fought the IB unions and won after that take-over, but can anybody with more knowledge of pre and post IAG Iberia outline what real positive benefits they noticed after the take-over in terms of customer service?

I just have a feeling that the status-quo will be maintained at EI for a bit unfortunately, it is not the basket case IB was, is making money and has room to expand on a few routes, so some extra planes will be added and schedules co-ordinated (especially on DUB>LHR) but apart from that I've a feeling we won't see the big changes a few people on here are hoping for!

Pilot21
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

OA260

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:54 am

Quoting pilot21 (Reply 132):
BA charge you to pre-select your seat even if you are travelling in Business (not sure about First) if you are not a Silver or Gold card member! All about the ancillary ££'s!

No fee for BA First. Also free seat selection for OW Emerald/Sapphire Equiv.

In relation to the IAG take-over of EI - are some people on here hoping a little too much in terms of positive changes that will happen at EI from a customer experience perspective? I know WW fought the IB unions and won after that take-over, but can anybody with more knowledge of pre and post IAG Iberia outline what real positive benefits they noticed after the take-over in terms of customer service?

I think the first benefits will be noticed in terms of OW benefits for EI customers and vv. and it will depend on what happens at a managerial level. Management can have a big impact on staff morale. If the staff can see that the threats of FR takeovers and more stability in the company rather than continued uncertainty then it might improve things. IT will be another thing that directly impacts on customer experiences.

Having flown Iberia quite a bit recently I have seen major changes both in terms of product and customer service. The attitudes amongst staff have improved and IB IT has too. The old Iberia was a bit of a take it or leave it attitude. Although even then I still had good flights with them.

On a recent trip they lost my bag and I went to the desk to report it. The staff member was friendly,efficient and promised regular text updates. In a period of just under 24 hours I got 3 SMS messages advising me of the progress. I didnt need to call them they sent me an SMS to tell me what flight my bag would be on.

The fact that EI is doing well and not like IB was will make it easier in many aspects. They can focus on customer care and other areas. Personally I hope they strip out the current regime and replace it with outsiders who have a fresh way of doing things.

Cipango

Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 am

I don't know why airlines think they are justified in charging for seat selection.

As mentioned above its ancillary revenue, so it is not different to charging for bags as they know some people will pay it. I don't blame them to be honest. If my flight is long enough I pay for seats with FR but no one else. BA charge an extortionate amount for seat selection. I recently flew with them LHR-PVG-LHR and they were asking for €42 to select a seat each way.

American airlines do it for free and you can change your seat for free.

For now...

ClassicLover

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:55 pm

In relation to the IAG take-over of EI - are some people on here hoping a little too much in terms of positive changes that will happen at EI from a customer experience perspective?

I don't think there will be much change - EI is already doing well. The very few changes I'd like to see would be -

1. oneworld alliance (happening)
2. Joining Avios (very likely since IB and BA do it that way and Gold Circle is a joke)
3. Fixing the current food situation for short haul
4. Better lounge food offerings

That's all really. Everything else is pretty much fine at EI from my perspective.

Re-joining oneworld is the biggest thing for me as it's the thing I have missed the most about EI since they left. I'm a slave to my alliance, what can I say  

Cipango

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:15 pm

Quoting classiclover (Reply 135):
I don't think there will be much change - EI is already doing well. The very few changes I'd like to see would be -

1. oneworld alliance (happening)
2. Joining Avios (very likely since IB and BA do it that way and Gold Circle is a joke)
3. Fixing the current food situation for short haul
4. Better lounge food offerings

That's all really. Everything else is pretty much fine at EI from my perspective.

Re-joining oneworld is the biggest thing for me as it's the thing I have missed the most about EI since they left. I'm a slave to my alliance, what can I say  

I would add just one thing: A fully functioning Mobile App with Passbook.

frostyj

Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:47 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 134):

I never pay for seat selection at Ryanair and I always get the exit row. What I do is check in straight away at midnight and end up with seat 18.

Then when the flight comes most of the time no one pays for the exit row and so then I end up getting moved forward.

OA260

Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 136):
I would add just one thing: A fully functioning Mobile App with Passbook.

Yes as a few of us have mentioned over the last year a good few times its a major thing missing which even FR have.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 137):
I never pay for seat selection at Ryanair and I always get the exit row. What I do is check in straight away at midnight and end up with seat 18.

It comes down to personal preference. I 99% always select and pay for my seat when Im flying on a carrier that I dont get it free anyway due to top tier status. Thankfully thats few and with EI coming into OW another one less to worry about if they apply the same rules to Emerald OW levels.

Cipango

Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Quoting frostyj (Reply 137):

Until around 3-4 months ago I was always able to work out what seat I would get if I were to check-in online with FR at that moment. They started in the middle and worked forward and worked back from rows 15 and 18 respectively. If I wanted a window seat I could easily align the online seat map with the seat I would get at check in.

They recently changed their algorithm and it is a lot more difficult to do so. Unless it was a DUB-UK flight I would pay for a window seat.

This is an excellent resource for the FR seating allocation policy: http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.co...how-to-get-a-free-seat-on-ryanair/

frostyj

Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:01 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 139):

How recent? I was on a flight not long ago and it allocated me row 18.

Eagleboy

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:06 am

relation to the IAG take-over of EI - are some people on here hoping a little too much in terms of positive changes that will happen at EI from a customer experience perspective?
Quoting OA260 (Reply 133):
Personally I hope they strip out the current regime and replace it with outsiders who have a fresh way of doing things.

I would agree. IAG are buying EI in its current set-up. I can't see any big changes, unless some of the mgmt figures decide to jump ship and move elsewhere.

EI desperately need to sort out their IT situation however. The IT boss hired from the US under Mueller has returned to the US. Apparently he was hugely frustrated with the glacial pace of change among EI mgmt.

Quoting frostyj (Reply 140):
How recent? I was on a flight not long ago and it allocated me row 18.

Why not include the time frame for your own flight so that Cipango can compare experience?

OA260

Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:18 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 141):
unless some of the mgmt figures decide to jump ship and move elsewhere.

I can see the CV now. ''Successfully guided EI to a dynamic future with IAG'' even though they had nothing to do with it. Or
''Promoted better health of our guests by our dynamic change to our Bord Bia practices'' Which really means didnt load them and screwed up the catering with nothing to eat.  

------

Luxair are maintaining their 6 weekly flights DUB-LUX for the Winter. Due to increased loads and profitability on the route.

[Edited 2015-07-13 03:23:27]

AmricanShamrok

Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Didn't have a great experience with US CBP at SNN this morning. The attitude of some of the officers (probably across the board, not just at SNN) needs to be addressed. Also, some of the "grilling" I got was quite intrusive I felt, for a U.S. passport holder.

Where do you live?

Why are you visiting the U.S.
I know this is a standard question but I don't think US citizens should be asked it. Do GNIB officers bark "why are you coming home?" When you present your passport at the desk?

Who are you visiting there?

What relation are they to you?

What date are you coming home?

Then she got even more narky when she asked if I had any food items and when I replied that I had a few Dairy Milks she barked "THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE HAVE TICKED 'YES' HERE", pointing to the "fruits/vegetables/plants" section of the I94 declaration form. Seriously?! It would actually put you in bad form boarding your flight. Anyway, I noted her name and badge number and the U.S. DHS will be getting a strongly-worded letter.

On another note, SNN has installed its first body scanner at security. Unrelated to this, the queue for security stretched into the Limestone Café with about a 20-minute wait. If it was any other airport you might hear passengers moaning about it but instead, there were whispers of "isn't it great to see Shannon so busy again?!".

IrishTexan

Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:05 pm

On a lighter note, I decided to take a look at eircode.ie to get some mailing address info and see that, according to this new postal coding mechanism, many parts of Clare have relocated to Limerick, most notably any address relating to Shannon airport. Yikes!!! Conspiracy theory anyone?

OA260

Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 143):
Didn't have a great experience with US CBP at SNN this morning. The attitude of some of the officers (probably across the board, not just at SNN) needs to be addressed. Also, some of the "grilling" I got was quite intrusive I felt, for a U.S. passport holder.

Thats mild compared to Israel where on two visits it was a full interrogation and even having to show my camera of the places I visited.

Quoting IrishTexan (Reply 144):
On a lighter note, I decided to take a look at eircode.ie to get some mailing address info and see that, according to this new postal coding mechanism, many parts of Clare have relocated to Limerick, most notably any address relating to Shannon airport. Yikes!!! Conspiracy theory anyone?

Haha I have just been doing that today too  AER LINGUS
AER LINGUS HEAD OFFICE
CORBALLIS DRIVE
DUBLIN AIRPORT
SWORDS
CO. DUBLIN
K67 XF72

Lets hope the ones they messed up get sorted.

[Edited 2015-07-13 09:31:19]

dstc47

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Quoting IrishTexan (Reply 144):
many parts of Clare have relocated to Limerick, most notably any address relating to Shannon airport

They call it Frankfurt- Hahn syndrome! A place unilaterally adopting the name or postcode of another location.
Lets hear from the Mayor of Clare.

Not only did we manage without postcodes perfectly well, even in the days when there were three or four postal deliveries a day, but we have also managed to persuade websites not to make postcodes obligatory, although the very odd foreign one still needs you to put in a fake entry.
Now a second runway at DUB, that might be useful.

ClassicLover

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:36 pm

Also, some of the "grilling" I got was quite intrusive I felt, for a U.S. passport holder.

Well, the intrusive grilling is pretty standard when the officers are in a mood - for non-US Passport holders.

I remember being wide eyed with surprise at some of the questions I received once when using my Australian Passport to enter the USA. I'm from Sydney so I was asked which side of Australia Sydney was on, plus various other questions. The officer finished with, "Have you ever had crumpets?" and I said I had, and that I like them. He apparently threw that in as he'd been to Australia and liked the crumpets! It's stressful, but I'm well used to it now.

That being said, I find pre-clearance to be much less stressful and often I don't get asked anything at all.

Then she got even more narky when she asked if I had any food items and when I replied that I had a few Dairy Milks she barked "THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE HAVE TICKED 'YES' HERE", pointing to the "fruits/vegetables/plants" section of the I94 declaration form. Seriously?!

Yes, seriously. You can get into BIG trouble if you don't tick the food question and you're carrying food!

Haven't you seen Border Security? In Australia they fine you if you've ticked "no" to the food question and they find you have food. So yes, the chocolates count!

EI320

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:37 pm

In fairness; I don't think any of those questions are particularly intrusive, regardless of the issuing country of your passport. They are all very common questions.

[Edited 2015-07-13 11:38:12]

frostyj

Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 149):

When we went through the officer didn't even ask us any question except for identifying questions. It literally took us 15 minutes to get through the whole process.

Not gonna go through as early this time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos