Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

photolppt
Topic Author

TP Requests Approval To Launch DEL And BOM Flights

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi,

Per an official note on our oficial government journal, TP has requested from our national aeronautical authority, ANAC, permission to operate regular scheduled flights to both Mumbai and New Delhi, from Lisbon.

Both flights would include an intermediate stopover. Any guesses? DOH comes to mind.

Per our rules, any other candidates to operate the route have until 25 July to present proposals, and in case there are none, authorization will be granted. I'm guessing A332 will be used.

Wasn't expecting this one....

Source (in portugues only, sorry): http://observador.pt/2015/07/15/tap-...cao-iniciar-ligacoes-aereas-india/

rta

RE: TP Requests Approval To Launch DEL And BOM Flights

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:24 pm

Was excited about this until I read intermediate stopover.

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Is there such a large Portugal - India market that calls for a nonstop ?

EddieDude

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:29 pm

Quoting photolppt (Thread starter):
Both flights would include an intermediate stopover. Any guesses? DOH comes to mind.

Range issues?

Why DOH? Could well be IST.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

rta

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:31 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 2):

They should be able to get enough feed from Europe and the Americas for a nonstop.

EddieDude

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:35 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 4):
They should be able to get enough feed from Europe and the Americas for a nonstop.

An ample codeshare with AI would be necessary too.

Now, wouldn't the ME3, and the larger European network carriers such as BA and LH have more points in the regions that you mention and in India in order to provide more options.
Upcoming flights:

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:38 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 4):

For Europe, LIS is a very poorly located hub for Indian traffic (very circuitous)

For Lat Am, I'm not sure how significant the feed is at all.

And for North Am, TP is linked to what? 3 airports?

rta

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:49 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 5):
An ample codeshare with AI would be necessary too.

Other carriers have done fine without a codeshare in India. I wouldn't say its necessary, but yes it would help.

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 5):
Now, wouldn't the ME3, and the larger European network carriers such as BA and LH have more points in the regions that you mention and in India in order to provide more options.

A lot of other carriers are already well established but it doesn't mean TAP can't do well with what they have.

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 6):
For Europe, LIS is a very poorly located hub for Indian traffic (very circuitous)

It's not the best location but I'm sure it can work.

Miami and New York right now. But they've recently announced adding 10 new destinations in the US and 8-10 in Brazil where they already offer many destinations.

behramjee

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:05 pm

21,000 passengers in total only (2014) flew between LIS and BOM/DEL combined hence a very small market indeed.

[Edited 2015-07-15 10:05:55]

DolphinAir747

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:11 pm

They might as well burn euros and put them into curry. EK will massacre them. What an odd choice.

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 9):
They might as well burn euros and put them into curry. EK will massacre them. What an odd choice.

Someone got to one-up on Greence. Maybe Neeleman has too much money to spend. VCP-LIS-BOM and POA-LIS-DEL.

Quoting rta (Reply 7):

Miami and New York right now. But they've recently announced adding 10 new destinations in the US and 8-10 in Brazil where they already offer many destinations.

I think they meant 10 new flights to the US, which can just mean extra frequencies to MIA/EWR, not necessarily 10 new destinations. In any case, 10 destinations to the US for a carrier like TP is quite a pie-in-the-sky dream. IB serves far fewer US destinations from a much larger hub.

faucett

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:20 pm

I think it could make sense for the Brazil-India traffic, considering the number of destinations TP serves in Brazil. However, the stopover would just make this route impossible to compete with the ME3 from GRU. Who knows...
faucett

rta

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 10):
I think they meant 10 new flights to the US, which can just mean extra frequencies to MIA/EWR, not necessarily 10 new destinations.

Everywhere I'm seeing it reported as 10 new destinations, not flights.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...airlines-tap-idUSKBN0P420O20150624

ytz

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:39 pm

If they'd gone to GOI.....

behramjee

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:48 pm

India Brazil market segment is well covered by EK QR and SAA. Isn't it a big detour flying BOM lis GRU versus via Dxb or doh ?

thekorean

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 14):

Not really. How many Brazillian cities EK fly to? How many TAP?

directorguy

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:00 pm

A stopover? Perhaps they can consider CAI, it's a *A hub and Egypt-India is a large market that's underserved (only CAI-BOM on MS).

EddieDude

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Quoting YTZ (Reply 13):
If they'd gone to GOI....

Ah yes. It also came to mind due to the colonial ties, but that would definitely be a tiny, tiny market, and probably very low yield.  
Upcoming flights:

behramjee

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:36 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 15):
Not really. How many Brazillian cities EK fly to? How many TAP?

India market demand is mainly to GRU and little bit for GIG...other parts of Brazil have marginal demand hence not relevant. Until EK/QR entered GRU, the market leader was SAA (followed by LH/BA) who also at one point flew a daily same plane service BOM-JNB-GRU on an A343.

Distance wise stats according to Great Circle Mapper:

BOM-ADD-GRU...8,555 miles
BOM-DXB-GRU...8,790 miles
BOM-JNB-GRU...8,949 miles
BOM-IST-GRU...9,543 miles
BOM-LIS-GRU...9,905 miles
BOM-FRA-GRU...10,160 miles

DolphinAir747

Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:09 pm

jfk777

Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Hey the fact an Iberian peninsula airline is flying beyond Israel or the Middle East is pioneering.

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 20):
Hey the fact an Iberian peninsula airline is flying beyond Israel or the Middle East is pioneering.

True in general, but strictly speaking, TP has flown LIS-MFM (Macao) on a 343 before. It flopped badly.

ASA

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:24 pm

Quoting DolphinAir747 (Reply 19):

I am confused too as to what the endgame here is. Is Neeleman trying to bluff the ME3 into doing something?

The amount of traffic (assuming it is Brazil-India he is after) is suspect - and that too with a stopover? Who wants to fly with intermediate stops these days ... when you have EK, QR, TK, serving these routes etc etc in brand new aircrafts? The Middle-East and Asia Minor are the best places geographically to serve these routes with one-stops.

TP is not in a position to tap the Brazil-China market either. Even there, the ME3+TK rule the roost. Their main advantage is the access to the Brazilian market - but they are woefully unprepared beyond Europe. Best would be to join an alliance to transfer that traffic on.

jetblue1965

Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:30 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 22):

TP is not in a position to tap the Brazil-China market either. Even there, the ME3+TK rule the roost. Their main advantage is the access to the Brazilian market - but they are woefully unprepared beyond Europe. Best would be to join an alliance to transfer that traffic on.

They already belong to an alliance, but a GRU-LIS-FRA-CTU (leveraging TP, LH, and CA) type of routing is still a double connection.

IAG faces the same issue - they tried to leverage BA's vast East Asian network to create some synergies with IB's superior Lat Am coverage, but to this date, they still operate like 2 independent airlines.

thekorean

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 pm

Quoting ASA (Reply 22):

Does EK have any feed at GRU? Figure it's going to be a double connection regardless if you are flying NRT-Brasilia for example.

photolppt
Topic Author

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 16):
A stopover? Perhaps they can consider CAI, it's a *A hub and Egypt-India is a large market that's underserved (only CAI-BOM on MS).

Any Brazil - Egypt traffic that could be tapped into?
And what about cargo?

directorguy

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Quoting photolppt (Reply 25):

Any Brazil - Egypt traffic that could be tapped into?

Brazil-Egypt traffic links are minimal, and is usually taken care of by AF/KL. The addition of a competitive 1-stop option would for sure stimulate demand though.

If I'm not mistaken, Indian citizens require a visa to transit the EU. So an Indian flying BOM/DEL-LIS-GIG/GRU would need a Schengen transit visa (I believe North America-bound passengers are transit visa-exempt, but definitely not those going to South America). So EK is still competitive, as no one wants to go through the hassle of getting an EU transit visa.

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:21 am

Let's not forget Ethiopian Airlines that is currently doing GRU-ADD and offers a lot of destinations to Asia and Middle East.

boeingbus

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:36 am

The advantage here is that TP serves the most Brazilian destinations to Europe out of any other airline and with Azuls growing network within Latin America -well that's a bonus. Of course, opportunities within Europe too from the UK. Also, if TP realizes 10 US destinations than you have potential.

We also have to take into account, will TP go for a low (er) cost model to compete with the big boys? I think so. They may have a good chance to compete on price but unfortunately they will never keep up with the Emirates and Qatar for service.

However, I do have doubts and it could be throwing good money after bad. But I wish them lots of luck!  
Airbus or Boeing - it's all good to me!

incitatus

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:43 am

Where is the metal to do this? TP's wide-body fleet is stretched real thin.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

ASA

Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:01 am

Quoting boeingbus (Reply 28):
The advantage here is that TP serves the most Brazilian destinations to Europe out of any other airline and with Azuls growing network within Latin America -well that's a bonus. Of course, opportunities within Europe too from the UK. Also, if TP realizes 10 US destinations than you have potential.

Is it possible that TAP is trying to pull on Brazil - what Emirates pulled on India? Brazil is an emerging market, air travel potential is HUGE and they have the most extensive network and access there. So connecting Brazil to the rest of the world (except USA of course) via LIS maybe their way of doing what EK did to India. Just like India, Brazil does not have an international airline with strong global connections. Except a few European gateways, TAM mostly focuses on the USA and South America. Maybe Neeleman is setting the stage for TAP being Brazil's de-facto international carrier?

Quoting boeingbus (Reply 28):
Where is the metal to do this? TP's wide-body fleet is stretched real thin.

Well, isn't the new plan based on getting some 53 new planes?

upwardfacing

Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:03 am

Quoting ASA (Reply 30):
Emirates

Maybe we have a winner here (???)

TP just happens to be the only Western European carrier that actively co-operates in some fashion with EK, and apparently with the blessings of the Portuguese government. It is a Skywards partner, for example.

Next year EK will introduce a second daily DXB-LIS--and the Portuguese government apparently made the request. If the past is any guide, it will be an afternoon departure from DXB with an overnight return.

If this plan materialises, it could be a third daily TP-operated DXB-LIS originating from DEL/BOM at around midnight or so, leaving DXB around 0200-0300, landing at LIS in time for many LatAm departures which commence in the morning. (Though some depart in the afternoon as well.)

On the return, many TP LatAm flights land at LIS in the early morning. There could then be a TP departure LIS-DXB-BOM/DEL around 0800 or so, returning to India around 2200 or so via DXB.

EK may well get more India rights one day, but this could be an indirect, supplementary method of gaining access. From casual conversations with EK India staff, they could easily fill double the number of India flights they currently operate. That's how strong their demand is.

BTW, I wouldn't underestimate the interest airlines have in connecting Asia with Latin America. (Yes, even India. The ME3, plus BA, AF connect pretty well...LH is actually quite strong despite less optimal connection times.) Though numerically not much at all compared with Asia-North America, it tends toward being higher yielding traffic.

And yes, even people with Bangla passports have been seen at the Emirates gate at GRU.

photolppt
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:02 am

Quoting upwardfacing (Reply 31):
TP just happens to be the only Western European carrier that actively co-operates in some fashion with EK, and apparently with the blessings of the Portuguese government. It is a Skywards partner, for example..

I forgot about TP/EK cooperation. DXB makes much more sense, then.

The second EK flight is already confirmed to be a late afternoon (Lisbon Time) flight, arriving around 19:00 local time and departing 90 min later, same as MAD has now.

The way you describe it it could work, esp. considering the range of Brasilian destinations TP offers from LIS that could connect from such flight.

JOYA380B747

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 am

Isnt everyone forgetting the AF/KL routes to South America? IMO they have pretty decent connections to GRU, GIG and SCL amongst others. Add to that 9W's BOM-CDG service which also sort of feeds into AF's onwards flights to the same. I recently booked my dad on BOM-CDG-SCL infact.

So for South America its safe to say they already have heavy competition and having one stop in ME3 wouldn't help it either.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

offloaded

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:44 pm

TP also codeshares with EY eg LIS to LHR/ROM/FAO/PAR etc and with EK so ME3 co-operation already happens.

So, it's "BOM dia" India then  
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

hohd

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:13 pm

Quoting directorguy (Reply 26):

Indian citizens do not require transit visa while transiting through Portugal. They would need one via Spain, France, Germany or UK, there are quite a few exceptions of course.

If they go ahead with the plan, I suspect they will fly to either BOM or DEL, not both, likely BOM, because it has less European flights.

airbazar

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:28 pm

We don't know where the intermediate stop is yet. With a stopover they can fly an A320 and take advantage of 5th freedom, if allowed. I don't think this has anything to do with Portugal-India traffic.

offloaded

Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 36):
We don't know where the intermediate stop is yet.

Additional info I have is that stop will be FRA, LHR, MXP, ROM as a third country codeshare agreement. Will also be codeshared with AI.

warren747sp

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:15 pm

SAA lost the market ever since the silly government require every one to apply for a transit visa just for transferring at the airport!
747SP

JOYA380B747

Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Quoting offloaded (Reply 37):
Additional info I have is that stop will be FRA, LHR, MXP, ROM as a third country codeshare agreement. Will also be codeshared with AI.

FRA, LHR would be too much of a detour if on TP metal all the way.
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

airbazar

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Quoting JOYA380B747 (Reply 39):

FRA, LHR would be too much of a detour if on TP metal all the way.

You're thinking about passengers flying between LIS and India which is the wrong way to think. You need to think of it as 2 different routes: LIS-LHR + LHR-BOM/DEL. IIRC LHR is TP's largest market in Europe. They used to operate widebodies on that route all the time. So putting an A332 on that route then taking it to India seems like an interesting idea.
In addition to that they could run a single plane GIG-LIS-LHR route due to the fact that LHR is non-schengen and therefore passengers don't even have to clear immigration in LIS thus providing the second best option after BA to get from GIG to LHR.

EddieDude

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 40):
You're thinking about passengers flying between LIS and India which is the wrong way to think. You need to think of it as 2 different routes: LIS-LHR + LHR-BOM/DEL. IIRC LHR is TP's largest market in Europe. They used to operate widebodies on that route all the time. So putting an A332 on that route then taking it to India seems like an interesting idea.

Their application includes an intermediate stop. The intermediate stop renders your interesting idea a bad one.
Upcoming flights:

airbazar

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:32 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 41):

Their application includes an intermediate stop. The intermediate stop renders your interesting idea a bad one.

I think you're missing the point.
The so called "intermediate stop" is nothing but lumping 2 routes into one: LIS-LHR-LIS + LHR-BOM-LHR.
No one is going to fly LIS-LHR-BOM but lots of people already fly LIS-LHR and LHR-BOM. It's really no different than SQ flying SIN-BCN-GRU. There are far more direct ways to get from SIN to GRU but that's not the point.

What I find more difficult is where are they going to get 2 slot pairs for LHR. On that alone I find this unlikely but with Neeleman in charge now things are a little different.

DiscoverCSG

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:47 pm

If this is via someplace in the Middle East/Turkey/North Africa, could it be flown with a narrowbody?

LIS-IST-BOM is 2007+2997
LIS-AMM-BOM is 2572+2449

and so on and so forth.

EddieDude

Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 42):
I think you're missing the point.
The so called "intermediate stop" is nothing but lumping 2 routes into one: LIS-LHR-LIS + LHR-BOM-LHR.

No, no, no. Look at the language of the article:

“A TAP requereu uma autorização para exploração de serviços aéreos regulares extra-União Europeia nas rotas Lisboa-ponto intermédio – Nova Deli – ponto intermédio – Lisboa e Lisboa ponto intermédio -Bombaim – ponto intermédio — Lisboa”, refere o Diário da República.

TAP requested authorization to provide regular air service to outside of the UE in the routes LIS-XXX-DEL-XXX-LIS, and LIS-XXX-BOM-XXX-LIS, according to Diário da República.

There will clearly be a stop en route. I think you are missing the point.
Upcoming flights:

offloaded

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:21 pm

Quoting DiscoverCSG (Reply 43):

It isn't IST, DXB or DOH. It's LHR, FRA, MXP and ROM. It will still take about 1 or 2 months to complete by TAP estimates.

In the meantime, feel free to carry on speculating, and then in a couple of months when you find out its LHR, FRA, MXP and ROM you can come back and tell me it was a bloody good guess.

photolppt
Topic Author

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 44):
serviços aéreos regulares extra-União Europeia

(extra-European Union)

Could it be that by 'extra EU' they mean extra-schengen, thus making LHR viable as fellow offloaded keeps sugesting?

oneskyjet

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:09 am

This is nonsense. Not happening.
Its a code share with Air India.

airbazar

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 44):
There will clearly be a stop en route. I think you are missing the point.

I know there will be a stop en route, LIS-LHR-India implies that. But they would be after the respective 5th freedom markets not after the market between Portugal and India. But this is all irrelevant as it has become clear now that TP will not fly to India.

Quoting Reply 47):
This is nonsense. Not happening.
Its a code share with Air India.

Yup. They are code sharing with AI from LHR, FRA, FCO, and MXP to BOM/DEL.

777way

Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Quoting jetblue1965 (Reply 21):

Wasnt that routed via Bangkok?