Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bond007

RE: Government Has Own Secret Airline: Janet

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:22 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 45):
How does one go about to being a JANET pilot?

Job descriptions have been posted on the government employment websites in the past. You just need the applicable 737 experience, and be able to get a SSBI clearance.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

blueflyer

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:55 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 24):
Yep, and you can also sit outside NATO HQ in Brussels and watch who is entering and leaving.

While neither is particularly well hidden, stopping on the nearest public street in Brussels or Las Vegas is a surefire way to get the local police to show up and explain what No Parking means. Admittedly it makes little sense when you can sit behind a window on the 10th floor of one of several buildings nearby and watch the parking lot with binoculars.

Quoting jetmatt777 (Reply 27):
These are civilian workers. They are likely assigned one task out of a huge program. They likely do not see the full picture of what they are working on.

Right on, the cooks have no idea what the janitors do all day and the clerks don't recognize what's on their plate. Not everyone who boards these planes is working on a research or test project...

[Edited 2015-07-20 22:00:16]

32andBelow

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:40 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 44):

How bout just like a crew scheduler!

OB1504

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 36):
I assume this air service is different from the one with which the US Government conducts extraordinary renditions?

The 767s used for extraordinary rendition out of IAD are operated by Vision Airlines, which also flies charters and until recently operated aircraft for the failed PEOPLExpress V2. I'm not sure if the U.S. government still uses them for this purpose, though.

aklrno

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 51):
While neither is particularly well hidden, stopping on the nearest public street in Brussels or Las Vegas is a surefire way to get the local police to show up and explain what No Parking means. Admittedly it makes little sense when you can sit behind a window on the 10th floor of one of several buildings nearby and watch the parking lot with binoculars.

Which I have done (without binoculars) from my room in the Mandalay Bay hotel. I'll be there next week and if my room faces east I'll be doing it again while waiting for the family to get ready for dinner. It is directly across the street from the JANET terminal. You can look for incoming flights on Flightradar 24.

aviatorcraig

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:14 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 44):

A few years ago EG&G advertised in the aviation press for 737 pilots based at McCarran. Whilst it didn't mention Janet by name it was obvious what they were recruiting for. The requirements were to hold a 737 type rating (can't remember the min hours required) and be able to pass a US govt security screening. They didn't state the destinations flown to but the big selling point in the ad was that crews would be home every night (unlike many 'conventional' airline crews).

Janet is no big secret. Any espionage outside of the operation will be less interested in a bunch of ex Chinese 737s flying daily schedules, and more interested in low tech stuff like how many cars are in the parking lot year on year which would give an indication of activity levels out in the desert.
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

aviatorcraig

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 am

If you still think they are that secret take a look at a.net's own photo database under EG&G, there are approx 200 Janet pics. Some examples:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Royal S King
View Large View Medium

Photo © Erwin van Hassel

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jan Jasinski

707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

Braniff747SP

Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 36):

I assume this air service is different from the one with which the US Government conducts extraordinary renditions?

Yes. Those are operated by private charter carriers - that 767, for example, is a Vision airplane.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Oshkosh1

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:41 pm

"Janet" is not all that secret.

Think of them more like public transportation more than an airline. They're simply flying buses. They transport employees to and from selected strips within the huge expanse of the Nellis testing range. It's just easier to fly them over "the hump" than driving the distance. 12 min flight-v-90 min bus ride....you do the math.

Not everyone on board is a spook. They don't all work with the greys. Most are average GS's who simply need a ride to work.

You must remember the distances involved.
C-150/2, 172, 177, 182, 209, Beech King Air, Convair 580, Twin Otter, RJ, CRJ, ERJ B717,27,37,47,57,67,77. DC8,9,10. MD8

F9Animal

Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:57 pm

Has anyone ever attempted to drive to the Tonapah Test Range? I did when I was 17. When we started seeing the warning signs to turn around, we continued (young and stupid!) Anyways, my friend started feeling sick. About 5 minutes later, I started feeling sick. I actually pulled over and threw up. That was the end of our venture, as we turned around to head back. As we drove away, we both started to feel better! I can't tell you if it was a sudden food poisoning, or a quick 10 minute flu bug. Whatever it was, it wasn't cool at all. We decided to never try that drive again!

I ask if anyone else has tried the drive, because it would be crazy to have someone else experience it. What could it have been? We wanted to check out Area 51, but never got around to doing it. I was born and raised in Vegas, so I am saddened to say I never tried to see Area 51! LOL!

Janet? I saw them since I could remember. The parking for EGG near the terminal was off limits, and a security guard was armed to the fullest. It was always cool watching them takeoff and land, wondering what the passengers were doing!
I Am A Different Animal!!

nkops

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:39 pm

I think I recall hearing about JANET on an episode of "How states got their shapes" or something on history channel
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

AirFiero

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:40 pm

I have a picture of them all lined up as I taxied by when I flew in there on a Saturday. I'd post it, but I haven't been able to figure out how.

richierich

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Quoting Oshkosh1 (Reply 58):
"Janet" is not all that secret.

Think of them more like public transportation more than an airline. They're simply flying buses. They transport employees to and from selected strips within the huge expanse of the Nellis testing range. It's just easier to fly them over "the hump" than driving the distance. 12 min flight-v-90 min bus ride....you do the math.

Not everyone on board is a spook. They don't all work with the greys. Most are average GS's who simply need a ride to work.

Not so much a secret airline, but Janet would be one heck of a trip report to score!!
None shall pass!!!!

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 28):
Quoting warden145 (Reply 28):Even with the relative openness of Groom Lake AFB compared to what it used to be, I'm amazed that the USAF/CIA is allowing those images to be public...I'm guessing they twisted some wrists at Google to give them access to determine that any images weren't showing anything they weren't supposed to...

I live within a stone's throw of Camp Peary, aka "The Farm", used for CIA training. Next to Air Janet it is about the worst kept secret in America.

You can Google Earth Camp Peary (in Williamsburg, VA) and it is pretty boring--just some non-descript buildings and a lot of residential streets with single family homes. It has not been pixelated out or anything. If you take the wrong exit off I-64 it will take you directly to their front gate and they politely but firmly turn you around.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

G-CIVP

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 63):
You can Google Earth Camp Peary (in Williamsburg, VA) and it is pretty boring--just some non-descript buildings and a lot of residential streets with single family homes. It has not been pixelated out or anything.

What I have always found confusing is that Woensdrecht Air Base in the Netherlands used to be pixelated out on googlemaps but now it isn't. Go figure!

N14AZ

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:40 pm

I might be wrong but I think I once saw an EG&G 732 in FRA. Can anyone confirm? Of course it parked in the USAF Air Base.

B747forever

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 59):

I ask if anyone else has tried the drive, because it would be crazy to have someone else experience it. What could it have been? We wanted to check out Area 51, but never got around to doing it. I was born and raised in Vegas, so I am saddened to say I never tried to see Area 51! LOL!

My brother and I drove to Area 51 last year. Passed the small town of Rachel and from there drove on a dirt road for some 20miles. Along the road there were antennas/sensors and closer there were warning signs. There was also a final sign warning us to not pass it onto the paved road behind it. They also warned about the usage of lethal force once passing that sign. Watching us was a pick up truck with 2 persons sitting in it. They were on a hill further in. They probably knew about us approaching thanks to the dust cloud when driving on the dirt and sensors.
Work Hard, Fly Right

bw50505

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 53):

Are those 767s N423AX and N441AX or are those for a different mission?

Also, about Janet, it's quite interesting to see them at LAS, especially since they park right by the Sands hangar.

bw50505

mayor

Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:04 pm

I think the destinations were more of a secret than the airline that carried them, there.

Also, weren't some of the a/c ex-WA?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Viscount724

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:14 am

More on Janet and their current/former fleet with photos.
http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/janet_fleet.html

AirFiero

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:06 am

Ok, let's try this

While taxiing for takeoff on 19L, I save the JANET aircraft parked for the weekend.

I have a decent shot of the Sands SPs, but I'm out of storage here.

bond007

Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:31 am

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 70):
While taxiing for takeoff on 19L, I save the JANET aircraft parked for the weekend.

That's a King Air of theirs also, on the left. Does similar trips, but sometimes to other places.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

macsog6

Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 pm

I was once told, but obviously have no real way of checking, that JANET was derived from Joint Army Navy Employee Transport ~ or words to that effect ~ and that it had been around since since Lockheed, acting on behalf of the government, opened the facility at Area 51 known as Dreamland. The employees of the government in those early days were all employed by either the Army or the Navy ~ not sure why no Air Force ~ and that the name had been used before at other facilities requiring employee transport.

Again, no way of checking and this could be total Bravo Sierra.   
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

32andBelow

Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Quoting macsog6 (Reply 72):
~ not sure why no Air Force ~

Didn't the airforce used to be part of the army in the early days?

And Wow isn't the fleet pretty big to move 100 people at a time a very short distance. They must be moving massive numbers each day. You would think each plane could make several trips in the morning and afternoon.

mayor

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:10 am

Quoting 32andBelow (Reply 73):
Didn't the airforce used to be part of the army in the early days?

The Air Force became a separate service from the Army in 1947.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

MayaviaERJ190

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:37 am

Here's an interesting read on the subject hosted at usc.edu, it's about 8 years old:

http://vectors.usc.edu/issues/04_issue/trevorpaglen/index.php
My other plane is an A380.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos