AirNiugini
Topic Author

Y Meal Tray Removal - Should It Catch On?

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:01 am

Qantas have had some amazing success with their new long haul "tray-less" economy dining concept. While the decision to remove the trays seem to be based on reducing costs and weight, we QF customers are now receiving more choices and larger meals as a result. At first I thought "oh here we go again", but now I think "Revolutionary"!!!   

Example of menu in Press Release below.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/files/qantas...y-menu-australia-north-america.pdf

Given the success of this program at Qantas, I am surprised we have not seen more airlines make the switch. Will/ could we see more airlines ditch the traditional meal tray and move to something similar? If you have a look at, for example, AA's International long haul Economy dining, and even BA's, there is a lot of unused space on the tray - That space could be used for bigger meals, or less trolleys.         

Check out the links below... It is certainly not as bad as or unorganized as people may think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31-hrsNBt9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG4oPkHk7aY

http://www.airlinehubbuzz.com/qantas...yless-international-economy-meals/

http://www.runwaygirlnetwork.com/201...oy-big-benefits-meal-tray-removal/

[Edited 2015-07-25 18:12:24]
Its time to fly!

glbltrvlr

RE: Y Meal Tray Removal - Should It Catch On?

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:17 am

I wonder how many people will get the reference to Ruby and Roy?

(For those who haven't seen it, there's a 'roo rescue park in Alice Springs. Two of the older roos were named Ruby and Roy.)

USAirALB

Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43 am

Yeah the main course is bigger but they took away the salad and fruit course during breakfast...

I LOVED BA's two tiered tray design in the late 1990s...truly a great use of space. Too bad it didn't work out. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvw1OLNzNr8
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

TW870

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:04 am

So from what I can tell the difference is that you get no salad or no appetizer, but a bigger main course, right? The flight attendant distributes a main course, a silverware packet, and bread. I think this could be a good idea, as no one will miss the tiny little salad. It will just matter how the presentation actually looks, and whether or not it feels like a cutback.

Remember the Northwest a la carte service? The problem with that is that it did not present well. Hopefully this will be a more fashionable version of the same idea.

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:13 am

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 2):

Yeah the main course is bigger but they took away the salad and fruit course during breakfast...

True, and it is a valid point you raise.

From my experience however, the third meal option is usually a pretty tasty and rather substantial salad.
Same goes for breakfast, they have super-sized the small dish to an actual decent fruit platter as an alternative to the hot breakfast. Plus the crew walk around with bowls of fruit throughout the flight, so there are sneaky ways of getting some healthy treats in.

Quoting USAirALB (Reply 2):
I LOVED BA's two tiered tray design in the late 1990s

That is classic! How long did those trays last for? Looks like the 'in and out' tray my teacher had on his desk back in the day.      
Its time to fly!

airDFW

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:19 am

I would rather have bigger meal than salad in the offering. For these ULH flights, we need substantial food.

Atleast it looks good.

USAirALB

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:41 am

Quoting AirNiugini (Reply 4):
That is classic! How long did those trays last for?

IIRC, the design was well received by passengers but the flight crews serving it hated it. The trays were flimsy and they were hard to re-stow after the meal service. I think the tray was around only for a year, maybe less than that.

The tray redesign was also part of a revamp of the World Traveller meal service that include new recipes-recipes too that were discontinued after being too spicy and exotic.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

spacecadet

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:20 am

You have to ask yourself what's in it for Qantas (or any airline that does this). They're not cutting costs by giving you *more food*. The cost of transporting the tray (remember, they get the trays back) is certainly not higher than the cost of the food (which they don't get back).

Even if they give you more right now, this concept makes it easier for them to cut back later without anyone noticing. It's a trojan horse.

Also, as I understand it with their "constant grazing" thing, a lot of the food ends up being self-serve, which I guess they could be counting on people not taking advantage of.

The photos at the last link look much smaller than international Y meals that I'm used to.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:26 am

Quoting airDFW (Reply 5):
I would rather have bigger meal than salad in the offering. For these ULH flights, we need substantial food.

Quoting TW870 (Reply 3):
So from what I can tell the difference is that you get no salad or no appetizer, but a bigger main course, right? The flight attendant distributes a main course, a silverware packet, and bread. I think this could be a good idea, as no one will miss the tiny little salad.

That is exactly how the meals are served on QF, and I think it works well. There might have been a few issues during the implementation stages, but its the norm now and everything looks well presented when delivered.

I do not know anything about Galleys, but looks like (from looking at the seat maps) the A380's 747's refurb a few years ago all involve a reduction in Galleys and toilets. And it looks like the 332, once refurbished will also have smaller galleys, so these changes help with managing those reductions.

Mind you, more food and less toilets is going to be interesting. LOL   
Its time to fly!

edmountain

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:27 am

Quoting spacecadet (Reply 7):
You have to ask yourself what's in it for Qantas (or any airline that does this). They're not cutting costs by giving you *more food*. The cost of transporting the tray (remember, they get the trays back) is certainly not higher than the cost of the food (which they don't get back).

Perhaps they are trying to compete by actually improving their product rather than joining US-based airlines in a cost-cutting race to the bottom.

Even if they give you more right now, this concept makes it easier for them to cut back later without anyone noticing. It's a trojan horse.

Time will tell.

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:47 am

There are heaps of advantages for Qantas (and any airline that does the same). QF have found a way of giving you larger portions while saving money and gaining efficiency.

1. Less galleys, more seats.
2. Reduced catering weight (The current product allows for 38 meals to be stored in the carts, whilst the new one will increase to 58 meals and up to 78 meals on Trans-Tasman service - Airlinebuzz link)
3. Faster meal delivery and collection
4. Reduced wastage
5. Savings and efficiencies gained with caterers on the ground.
6. Product enhancement ( there are now two dinner options on domestic flights, even on a SYD - MEL 1 hour trip).

Also, as I understand it with their "constant grazing" thing, a lot of the food ends up being self-serve, which I guess they could be counting on people not taking advantage of.

The crew do the snack rounds every 90 minutes so it is a constant grazing service - delivered to your seat. The food bars at the back usually just have light snacks and drinks that you can help yourself to.
Its time to fly!

zeke

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 am

This thread sounds like a shameless QF plug, none of the links shows the real passenger experience.

All of it is QF marketing taken in their cabin simulator.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

smi0006

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:24 am

I must say, I haven't flown QF international in economy since this new service was introduced. However domestically I think it's world class, and doubt any other career would offer this service in economy on a 1hr flight, maybe even internationally. A hot meal domestically, with two choices?!?

Last week SYD MEL I had a glass of red (alcohol is free after 4pm) and a nice chicken curry (high quality) my partner has a nice fresh prochutto salad. The crew offered tea and coffee as they collected trays, and the CSM offered Lindt balls at the same time - standard on all my domestic flights in the last six months. I will happily pay more to QF for this service. Save me eating in the terminal, which is over priced. I enjoy a wine with dinner and I landed relaxed.

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:57 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):
This thread sounds like a shameless QF plug, none of the links shows the real passenger experience.

I'm sorry you feel that way - Maybe a shameless plug, but if CX, SQ or EK were doing it instead of QF, I would still have started this thread. It is an example of doing things differently in Y which has measurable benefits. Especially considering a majority of people are economy class passengers. This is a real product enhancement and based on my experience with QF, I think other airlines could really see a financial benefit.

Here are a few pics (not the best quality) that are online... There are a few trip reports on a.net that may also help you see what it is like in the real world.

http://www.airlinemeals.net/photos/a...tas/scl-to-syd-jun-2015/9b9d/#menu

http://www.airlinemeals.net/photos/a...tas/syd-to-lax-apr-2015/9b05/#menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Fl7ER1NC8
Its time to fly!

Marara

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:40 am

Not quite sure what the fuss is over - they got rid of the tray....

If connecting from their partner EK

http://www.airlinemeals.net/images/airlinemeals/2014/12/DSC_3671.jpg

to QF
http://www.airlinemeals.net/images/airlinemeals/2015/06/image67.jpg

The only difference I can see is there is no tray and I get less....

Domestically different story and the new boxes are great. Internationally looks like a cost cut to me.
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

anstar

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 am

I don't like the cordial drink service after take off. On a long haul day time flight of 9+ hours I want a proper drinks run before being served my meal... most other carriers seem to be able to do this - yet QF come round with a cordial (no choice) and that was it until the meal service.

Having also flown BA, VS, KLM as well in the last 3 months in Y they all had a pre dinner full bar service (with pretzels or nuts) in Y before the meal service and again with the meal service. On KLM and VS we got hot towels as well.

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:35 am

Quoting edmountain (Reply 9):
Perhaps they are trying to compete by actually improving their product rather than joining US-based airlines in a cost-cutting race to the bottom.

The US carriers are making billions... QF is well, not.

Tell us more about which understands what derives revenue from the mass travel market again?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

AWACSooner

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:10 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 16):

Tell us more about which understands what derives revenue from the mass travel market again?

And please tell us which carrier still treats its pax like actual human beings again? It amazes me just how black and white this argument has become on this forum. Either it's about maximizing profits and appeasing the shareholders, or it's wrong.

bwwt

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:17 am

Some have projected Qantas to make a profit of $1bn in 14/15FY. Things have dramatically improved within the last year, and these meals (introduced last year) could very well be the reason.

In all serious though, I've found them to be an improvement. It was a bit weird not having a tray to start with, but the size and quality of them have improved IMHO.

richcandy

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:22 am

Years ago on a UK domestic flight from London-Glasgow/Edinburgh/Belfast etc you used to get a drink (bar service), then a meal. On a one hour domestic flight this was crazy and now on most inter european flight we don't expect much, if anything.

However a 14 hr flight to Singapore is a bit of a different story. Ok some people don't eat the salad, but to others it one of the only items they eat, as it at least appears to be fresh. Maybe we are heading towards buy on board if thats possible on a long haul flight. I am not a fan, but at least it gives passengers options.

Flying in economy is not fun. Please don't make it anymore unpleasant.

SCQ83

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:55 am

The video looks very nice.

The food card boxes look like out of a food-truck or the salad bar at Whole Foods Market... very contemporary and "healthy". The standard trays in the industry look like out of a high school in 1980, so time to move on!!!.

However by looking at the picture that Marara has posted, it just look like another reduction in service to improve costs.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:28 am

Quoting Marara (Reply 14):

But Wirra Wirra wine?!? That's $20 a bottle stuff! Qantas have always served the best wine in the sky IMHO but that even surprises me. And the wine list is a definite low point for EK, right the way from nose to tail.

I haven't flown on QF longhaul since the enhancement, but the domestic meals are truly world class. Probably the best meals served on one hour flights anywhere in the world. Unfortunately though I have heard from family and friends that the quality of the longhaul meals has gone down while quantity is indeed up. It really does look like an upgrade on the profitable domestic network and a cut on the [formerly] loss making international network.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

diverted

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:41 am

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 17):
And please tell us which carrier still treats its pax like actual human beings again? It amazes me just how black and white this argument has become on this forum. Either it's about maximizing profits and appeasing the shareholders, or it's wrong.

The issue with capitalism, particularly in this day and age, is that investors are more concerned with next quarter's profits than the long term viability of something. Hillary was in the news this week telling Wall Street to think beyond next quarter, but, they've got her hands so far in her pockets I doubt she means anything by it. Like her position stance on gay marriage...

Anyways, good to see QF step up their product. Regardless of everyone's thoughts about the longhaul offerings, I think we can agree for shorthaul it's a very solid product. Kudos

Brewfangrb

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:55 am

Either it's about maximizing profits and appeasing the shareholders, or it's wrong.

Maximizing profits is the sole reason for a corporation to exist. It does not exist to "treat passengers like humans" (assuming you mean serving full 3-course meals with 40" pitch and 20" width in Y, I guess). Treating the passengers better can be a means to an end. But no one is entitled to some particular level of service. Vote with your wallet. It's that simple.

Aquila3

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:26 am

Quoting brewfangrb (Reply 23):
Vote with your wallet. It's that simple

Except the likes of US customers that seem are not more able to vote for anyone else than the US3 in most cases.
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

trent1000

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:49 am

Quoting AirNiugini (Thread starter):
but now I think "Revolutionary"!!!  

Oh please... more like "devloutionary". Do you know that TG has been doing this for probably more than 10 years in Y on domestic routes? It looks and feels "cheap", especially on a 'lunch' service flight. The food quality itself is fine and the reason TG do it I'm sure is for expediency, given the 1-2-hour domestic flights. But QF has MUCH longer hauls. In that case, the concept, presentation and experience is "cheap".
"more food"?? Would you be happy to pay the price they ask to get what they serve in a small cardboard box?
Perception of food/service quality is important, as well as the quality of food itself.

bill142

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:57 am

The size of the main has grown larger and the butter infused bread is good, but overall I think you get less food. The salad and cheese are gone, so I'm not sure if I like it or not.

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):

All of it is QF marketing taken in their cabin simulator.

Lol.. You're funny.

MillwallSean

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:50 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):

Being a bit cheap i tend to fly QF a fair bit when I pay myself, they are usually the cheapest option...
I must say that i find this great. better food, more variety.
Surprisingly because like most here im rather cynical about airlines and economy class today.

Now drinks, thats an issue that has become worse but thats not for this thread.

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 12):
I must say, I haven't flown QF international in economy since this new service was introduced. However domestically I think it's world class, and doubt any other career would offer this service in economy on a 1hr flight, maybe even internationally. A hot meal domestically, with two choices?!?

Ah lets relax a bit, half the Asian and African carriers do this.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.

G-CIVP

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:52 am

So basically you are getting a microwave meal at 35,000 feet. It's a blatant cost cutting measure. Things could be worse. If you fly Air Malta in Europe, all you receive is a finger roll and a bottle of water.

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 25):
But QF has MUCH longer hauls. In that case, the concept, presentation and experience is "cheap".

No. It's actually not that bad at all. I don't find it cheap, it is just different.

Quoting trent1000 (Reply 25):
Perception of food/service quality is important, as well as the quality of food itself.

But it does not mean that serving everything on a tray is the answer. QF's International meals are not served in boxes, they are served on a small serving plate. Quality is important, but efficiency gains must be worth while. Why not fit more meals into trolleys and remove a galley unit or two for extra seating?

Ultimately, that is the point I am trying to make here.

I wish Thai all the best - There meals are huge and of a great quality... with or without the tray.

Quoting MillwallSean (Reply 27):

Its time to fly!

bwwt

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 28):

So basically you are getting a microwave meal at 35,000 feet.

How's that different than any other Y class meal?

[Edited 2015-07-26 07:07:54]

PanAm1971

Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Let's not pretend this isn't a step down. It is.

AWACSooner

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 28):
If you fly Air Malta in Europe, all you receive is a finger roll and a bottle of water.

Maybe I missed something...I flew KM last year DUS-MLA and MLA-LGW...we got full meals in Y. Did they eliminate that?

AWACSooner

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Quoting diverted (Reply 22):
The issue with capitalism, particularly in this day and age, is that investors are more concerned with next quarter's profits than the long term viability of something.
Maximizing profits is the sole reason for a corporation to exist. It does not exist to "treat passengers like humans"

Somehow, I highly doubt Adam Smith advocated this as capitalism...otherwise, what incentive would there be for consumers to utilize that business?

edmountain

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:13 pm

As others have pointed out, Qantas is making money. Besides, US carriers operate in a much larger market so one would expect higher revenues, no? But the real problem is the oligopolistic nature of the US airline industry--see below.

Maximizing profits is the sole reason for a corporation to exist. It does not exist to "treat passengers like humans" (assuming you mean serving full 3-course meals with 40" pitch and 20" width in Y, I guess). Treating the passengers better can be a means to an end. But no one is entitled to some particular level of service. Vote with your wallet. It's that simple.

Short-term quarter-by-quarter decisions predicated by share price rather than revenue, cost-cutting seen as the only vehicle to increase income, protectionist insticts, fear of true competition: these are the realities of the US airline industry. And they have all conspired to remove choice from the consumer and propel the industry into a race to the bottom. The fact of the matter is in most cases it is simply not possible to vote with ones wallet.

thekorean

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Um, that is what business is supposed to do. Not make cutomers happy.

If customers happy=mazimizing profit, by all means.

AWACSooner

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 35):
Um, that is what business is supposed to do. Not make cutomers happy.

If customers happy=mazimizing profit, by all means.

Sooooo...humor me...how do you explain WN's current business style of not charging for the 1st and 2nd bags and still pulling out record profits?

timpdx

Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 pm

WN's no change fee is what keeps me in their seats, even when fares are comparable or WN can be a bit more, but that flexibility is what I need (just flew WN this morning, in fact, AND it was a case that I need to change departure times, for me, that is priceless and I will keep coming back...repeat business)

As for the new QF service, I see preselecting meals only works ex-Australia. With the volume they do at LAX, surprised its not offered on this side of the Pacific.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW, MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC, SNA
Upcoming 2018: STL, MIA, BZE, IAH, BHM, LHR, DFW, PHX

blrsea

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:09 pm

Why don't airlines come up with a bento-box like bigger box and just put various items in it. They can still do away with tray and have all items separated in one box. Will be easier for passengers too.

ScottB

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 33):
Somehow, I highly doubt Adam Smith advocated this as capitalism...otherwise, what incentive would there be for consumers to utilize that business?

Actually, in theory, this is exactly how the "invisible hand" of the market is intended to work. Consumers are free to compare the products offered by different vendors at various prices and make their selections based on the data available to them. In practice, for air travel, purchasing decisions are driven by price, schedule, and availability of a non-stop far more than other factors, particularly in economy class. After all, the primary reason for purchasing a ticket is to get from Point A to Point B, rather than the meal the carrier serves. I'm going to get a fantastic meal at the best restaurant in town for far less than the cost of a ticket to Australia.

The nature of airline pricing and revenue management systems makes it very difficult for consumers to actively choose Carrier A over Carrier B because the former offers a nicer meal. One might pay $25 more for complimentary alcohol and tastier/larger meals on Carrier A, but that's rarely, if ever, the choice presented to the consumer -- it's more like the same price due to matching or a difference of several hundred dollars because that fare bucket on Carrier A has been exhausted. The rational economic decision in the case of a large fare difference is to choose the slightly inferior carrier simply because the value of a better meal or complimentary booze just isn't that great.

The disappearance of meals from economy class in U.S. domestic markets is more due to consumers being unwilling to subsidize the bloated cost structures of the legacy carriers offering those meals, rather than the actual cost of the meals,

LAX772LR

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Either it's about maximizing profits and appeasing the shareholders, or it's wrong.

yep, pretty much

Quoting diverted (Reply 22):
The issue with capitalism, particularly in this day and age, is that investors are more concerned with next quarter's profits than the long term viability of something.

Agreed

Maximizing profits is the sole reason for a corporation to exist. It does not exist to "treat passengers like humans"

***THIS***

Quoting Aquila3 (Reply 24):
Except the likes of US customers that seem are not more able to vote for anyone else than the US3 in most cases.

Huh????? That's a ridiculous comment.

Last I checked, there are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of foreign flags flying into US airports every single day, that anyone here with a wallet and a desire can elect to ride. And domestically, there's WN, AS, B6, F9, NK, G4, VX, etc that anyone here can choose from there.

Quoting edmountain (Reply 34):
the real problem is the oligopolistic nature of the US airline industry

That's one of those things that's often claimed, but never really substantiated.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 36):
how do you explain WN's current business style of not charging for the 1st and 2nd bags and still pulling out record profits?

Curious, do you believe WN's profits wouldn't be even larger by actually charging? Where exactly would all the supposedly pissed off people who only fly them because of bag fees, go?

Remember, WN isn't the one nowadays carrying the "otherwise we'd just drive" crowd.... that'd be NK, who charges for bags, and has the highest margins of any carrier out there.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TW870

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:59 pm

I am not at all surprised that high quality carriers like QF want to present food differently than in the past - although I am not yet sure that this particular concept is the best way to do so.

Food culture has changed dramatically in the last decade, and people are much more interested in the quality of ingredients, and are more interested in food culture in general. In most big cities, the restaurant industry is booming, and people are interested in newer trends like small plates, etc. The airline tray service is basically a condensed version of mid-20th century multi-course dining. That formal style of eating is still popular, but it has much new competition. Regardless of cost, I can see why airlines would want to update their product and to connect to younger generations' changing tastes.

The youtube video posted by the OP displays this, as it focused on natural ingredients and quality food presentation. The only thing that is missing in the piece is any detailed explanation of the way the sequence of service actually works aboard the aircraft. But I have to say I want to check it out!

G-CIVP

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Quoting bwwt (Reply 30):
How's that different than any other Y class meal?

The 'traditional' Y class meal usually incldues a salad or starter of somesort and a dessert. From the images I saw on one of the youtube videos detailed above, it looked like a microwave meal from the supermarket; the finnese had gone.

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 32):
Maybe I missed something...I flew KM last year DUS-MLA and MLA-LGW...we got full meals in Y. Did they eliminate that?

Indeed, from my flight earlier this year, the meal has gone and been replaced by what can be described as bread and water. It is a shame as the meals were quite good. Air Malta acknowledge it is a cost saving measure. You can purchase snacks and drinks onboard if you so wish but I suggest you stock up at the airport before hand. Pret at the Gatwich South Terminal seems a good option but judging by the offering at Luqa (overpriced and tired), a starvation diet may be the best option!

Sydscott

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:46 pm

Quoting TW870 (Reply 41):
I am not at all surprised that high quality carriers like QF want to present food differently than in the past - although I am not yet sure that this particular concept is the best way to do so.

As a QF Gold Flyer and a regular Y passenger on SYD-PER and SYD-BNE, allow me to make some observations on the domestic service:

1. The food is much, much better with more variety;
2. The "salad" is gone. It was only a few lettuce leaves anyway so who cares, you don't make friends with salad;
3. The main plate of the meal is significantly larger, (which is the whole point). So to be honest you don't miss the other things;
4. The service is much quicker than what it was primarily because it's much easier for the crew to dispense the meals and much easier for them to tidy up afterwards. (Effectively everything either goes into the garbage or recycling. There is nothing for the them to re-store);
5. QF domestic, for as long as I can remember, has always done a separate dessert service. On SYD-BNE that's some lindt chocolates, on the trans-con service it's an ice cream with cheese and crackers if you want them.

So domestically it's a great concept and works really well.

I haven't tried it in International economy yet, I'll be doing that to CGK later in the year.

RyanairGuru

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:51 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 42):

I agree on the starter/salad, but QF definitely do offer desert. It is as a second service after the main meal has been cleared away, as has been like that for years and years, long before they removed the trays. That is one part of the meal which did not change with the enhancement.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Sydscott

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 42):
The 'traditional' Y class meal usually incldues a salad or starter of somesort and a dessert. From the images I saw on one of the youtube videos detailed above, it looked like a microwave meal from the supermarket; the finnese had gone.

The "salad" in Y meals has long been crap. Just a few lettuce leaves and some vinegar. I'd much rather have a larger main plate and that is precisely what QF has. As I said above, you don't make friends with Salad.

G-CIVP

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:30 am

Quoting Sydscott (Reply 45):
you don't make friends with Salad.

I didn't know it was going to a long term affair!

AirNiugini
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:00 pm

At the end of the day, its just a tray being removed. There is no proof of diminishing quality, it's just QF thinking differently in regards to service and meal delivery. Unless you are the type of person who likes to lick the tray, then it should not really make a difference.     

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 20):
However by looking at the picture that Marara has posted, it just look like another reduction in service to improve costs.

How is it a reduction in service? It is still a meal, just without the tray.

The change has been made to reduce costs and be able to reduce the amount of galleys needed. As I have stated before, all of QF's latest refurbs involve a reduction in Galley units.

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 46):
As I said above, you don't make friends with Salad.

Unless it is a potato salad....  
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 44):
I agree on the starter/salad, but QF definitely do offer desert. It is as a second service after the main meal has been cleared away, as has been like that for years and years, long before they removed the trays. That is one part of the meal which did not change with the enhancement.

On my recent Y trips to Hong Kong and LA, there have been two desserts- A small dessert served with dinner, and then the Ice Cream shortly after. It goes well, but I think the Ice Cream service kicks off the 'all-flight-grazing' service instead of being a second dessert.
Its time to fly!

Sydscott

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:35 am

Quoting G-CIVP (Reply 46):
Quoting Sydscott (Reply 45):
you don't make friends with Salad.

I didn't know it was going to a long term affair!

I wouldn't have an "affair" with salad either.  

Unless it was potato salad.

Quoting AirNiugini (Reply 47):
Unless it is a potato salad....

Then those carbs would be worth it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos